Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gaming chair vs Ergonomic Chair?

Hello

I am not sure if this is correct place to post but I was looking to replace my generic office chair that sinks , to a new chair within budget. I Want to know IS it worth getting a gaming chair? i do spend a lot of hours infront of PC , Or would ergonomic make more sense?

A little info on me , I am Tall dude , 6'4 or 194 cm , I weight around 100kg ,

I saw Trust GTX 708 for 140 euros , OR Thunderx3d YAMA 1 for 150ish , Which one would be wiser ? Or if anyone have any other recommendation let me know please.

Apologies if this is not the place to Ask about this.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I"m thinking you mean an 'ergonomic' office chair? Vs. a Gaming chair? (As most gaming chairs also call themselves 'ergonomic')

My own personal experience (granted I'm not a 6 foot tall guy, but a 5'5 female) with my expensive gaming chair that is "also" ergnomic - go the office chair ergonomic route.

I'm sitting on a "Secret Lab" Gaming chair and still had to buy extra padding for the seat and a lumbar support cushion because the damn thing is so hard and straight its just plain uncomfortable. No idea who the hell this suppose to be 'supportive' for. Maybe it will 'hold up' for more years because its hard/stiff as its 'support', but the fact that I dropped 600+ US on this and STILL had to buy more cushions, the same as I would my old office chair I replaced with this costly Gaming Chair, makes me never want to do this again.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Gaming chairs sell optics for a premium. Office chairs are made for people to sit on for 8+ hours straight. It's an investment in your health that'll last years and years, get a good office chair and put a game sticker on it.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Gaming chairs are a waste of money. They are pretty much all overpriced and crap. A low end office chair is often better than even a mid range gaming chair in terms of comfort.

Save your money and buy a decent office chair, it will last longer and be more comfortable.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can get way better "office" chairs at that price point, just make sure you get fabric ones not leather. Cheap "leather" will make u sweat like a pig.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Depends on the individual chair model. Good ergonomic office chairs are very expensive, much more than chairs like Secret Lab. Most chairs labeled so are actually cheap pieces of trash.
    It all depends on what you want from the chair ... do you want gimmicks and settings or just a simple chair? Whatever you choose make sure it's comfortable and it can support a good posture or you will get back pain.

When the pandemic started I had a random 200 euros gaming chair that is less that 3 years got basically wrecked. The PU leather got trashed, it was barley holding on togheter, it had the aggresive elevated sides that were uncomfrotable to my thighs and the worst thing, I had some very big back pain, even though it had a lombar pillow.

1.5 years ago I got a secret lab titan for a little over double the price and the difference is huge. No more back pain, a great reclining mechanism thatcI never thought I would use/like and pretty much everything adjustable. After all this time and everyday 8+ hours usage it looks the same as it did when I got it. The only thing that I never really liked is the waterfall seating that is sometimes hurting my thighs from below.

Also consider fabric vs leather. With leather, during hot days you won't be able to sit on it without a shirt on because of sweat which is both annoying and will damage the material. So keep that in mind that during the summer you may need to put some fabric on it if you go leather.
    Last edited by kranur; 2023-11-25 at 12:11 PM.

Get a good office chair, and not some labelled "gaming" chair that's overpriced for the saps out there.

i am also 6'4 and about 103kg, and i also spend many hours a day at my computer.

i have found this chair to be absolutely fantastic for my height/weight, though the padding on the seat isn't as thick as i would like and so i found a nice memory foam seat cushion to be a great addition to it.

it's a bit on the pricier side, but i cannot say enough how wonderful it is for someone at this height/weight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy a used herman miller off ebay or similar sites. Gaming chairs are a rip off.

I always recommend buying the big and tall chairs. You may look at it and say well I am not 500 lbs or whatever but those things are built different. I got one like 6 years ago and it still feels really nice and it was like 150 bucks at walmart. Of course if you got a little cheddar find a good herman miller new or used.. those things never go bad. A REALLY good spot to find these is look for businesses that are moving locations. They almost always just buy all new stuff and sell the old stuff cheap af.

I found a used and refurbished Kab chair for 970€ and bought a gaming chair headrest pillow. It's a 24/7 control room chair with a 200kg weight limit. Best money I ever spent. I don't even go to the sofa to watch TV anymore.

I don't think there are any recommendable chairs in your price range for a 100kg guy these days. With 150€ you can get a strong bucket and turn it upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Buy a used herman miller off ebay or similar sites. Gaming chairs are a rip off.
    This. Especially with a lot of offices closing due to people shifting to work at home, there are a lot of used Herman Miller or Steelcase chairs out there for decent prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    ^ this, 1,000%

A good chair is one of the best investments you can make. The longer you sit, the better your chair needs to be. You can get used high-end office chairs fairly easily and they're WAY better than some "gaming" chair that's just a cheap piece of trash with some slick curves and colors and a hype-y brand name sticker.

Make sure the chair you're getting is rated for your body weight, and if you can, make sure it's a chair rated for prolonged usage - many cheap chairs specifically say in the fine print they're not made to be used for 8+ hours a day, which is a big sign that they're cheap and fall apart in no time flat.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with mostly every post here, but I do think finding a used Herman Miller or Steelcase seems to be easier in the US than it does in Europe. I spent weeks looking on different second hand sites but eventually just paid for a refurbished Steelcase Leap v2 from a company in the Netherlands.

That said, even if I paid a high price for mine, I'd still say it's worth it. You do not want to cheap out on a desk chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I agree with mostly every post here, but I do think finding a used Herman Miller or Steelcase seems to be easier in the US than it does in Europe. I spent weeks looking on different second hand sites but eventually just paid for a refurbished Steelcase Leap v2 from a company in the Netherlands.

That said, even if I paid a high price for mine, I'd still say it's worth it. You do not want to cheap out on a desk chair.
    Yeah, dont skimp on the thing that you park your rear in 6+ hours a day. A bad or mediocre chair can screw up your back, your hips, etc. And like a lot of things, cheaping out now costs more later. Buy a cheap chair, replace it with another one… and soon, youve ended up out of pocket more than just buying the good chair to start with.

Gaming chair to me means just a bait term used to sell a chair at extra price. Any chair works for me.

An office chair in the $1000+ class should not only be vastly superior when it comes to ergonomy but also will last you WAY longer. Just make sure you buy a "real" office chair that is robust and not one of those cheap flimsy ones.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Gaming chairs sell optics for a premium. Office chairs are made for people to sit on for 8+ hours straight. It's an investment in your health that'll last years and years, get a good office chair and put a game sticker on it.
    This exactly. Gaming chairs are trash, let's get that out of the way.
    @acegaming90 I cannot stress enough the benefit of buying a quality office chair. No one is going to see all the gaming nonsense and colors besides you, and when you're sitting in it, you won't see it. But your back and body will FEEL it. Find an office chair resale store that is reputable that supports its sales with good quality support and warranties for repair, and you'll be set (potentially, for life). I bought myself a Herman Miller Aeron size C (good for us tall and heavy folks!) and I can't state how happy I am. It was between this and the Steelcase Gesture and the only reason I chose the Aeron over the Gesture was because the Aeron has a breathable material. Both are extremely high quality builds.

Ultimately: I would suggest you find a local office furniture resale store and go there, talk to a sales person, share with them your preferred budget and I am sure they can help you. If you're going to sit in it for many hours - get one that isn't going to mess up your back/posture.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Gaming chairs are overpriced AF.
    However I think ergonomic ones are too, but they actually are good for your back in the long run.
    They promote gaming chairs to offer the same for long gaming sessions, but I call BS on that.
    Got myself a Secret Lab chair and the top layer starting to peel off after few year of usage, this shouldn't be allowed to happen for sucha pricey chair imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't buy yourself a new back.

Get a really good ergonomic chair and spend well on it - it's literally your health. Get a Herman Miller if you're on the money or Ergohuman if less so, with a headrest and mesh.

Those will last you a decade, as they are made with plenty of metal where it matters.