10+ Year Old Account
    Updated with drastically more effective cooling, now featuring a 320mm low-rpm (and dead silent) side fan:

Seriously, this thing fucking works. 10-12c lower on GPU, 3-4c less on CPU. Side window goes back on when I'm not gaming, just takes a few seconds, saves me the trouble of dust
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Setup: Cooler Master HAF 912 | i5 2500k 4,4ghz + Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Asrock Pro P67 B3 | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II 770/1540 | Corsair Performance 3 64gb + 128 gb 1 TB WD Green| Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 2x4GB | Corsair TX750 | Win 7 Pro 64bit | Microsoft Sidewinder X4 | Logitech G500 | LG 23" IPS | HK Soundsticks II 2.1 |

* User was infracted for this post. Please keep your images within the allowed <800pixel limit; Use thumbnails and links!
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-10-08 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice Crysis 2 wallpaper Xuvial

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pOO flinger View Post
    Nice Crysis 2 wallpaper Xuvial
    Err that's actually the game in windowed mode :P

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I really won't dwell more into this. It really isn't on-topic either... but here are my "finals":

1920x1200: http://i.imgur.com/e7Y0L.jpg HQ: http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2...plogof1200.png
    1920x1080: http://i.imgur.com/06OS5.jpg HQ: http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6...plogof1080.png
    Great job! i like it and i will use it as wallpaper if its allright with you

This is the set up I ordered and will be building. Opted for AMD chip to help offset cost of SSD so I can stay around $1300 total. Thoughts on adding another 4 GB of RAM?

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 with 2 fans added to stock (top, side)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 4x 965
    MB: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
    PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    CPU heatsink: Thermaltake Frio
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 x 1
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560
    SSD: 128GB Crucial m4
    Data Drive: 1 TB Western Digital 64 MB cache

Thanks for feedback!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Namor of Muradin View Post
    Thoughts on adding another 4 GB of RAM?
    Considering how cheap RAM is and the fact that running a single stick hurts your performance (running in single channel instead of dual channel)....do it already

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uvania View Post
    Setup: Cooler Master HAF 912 | i5 2500k 4,4ghz + Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Asrock Pro P67 B3 | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II 770/1540 | Corsair Performance 3 64gb + 128 gb 1 TB WD Green| Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 2x4GB | Corsair TX750 | Win 7 Pro 64bit | Microsoft Sidewinder X4 | Logitech G500 | LG 23" IPS | HK Soundsticks II 2.1 |

* User was infracted for this post. Please keep your images within the allowed <800pixel limit; Use thumbnails and links!
    Are you sure that's a 570? A 570 from the Twin Frozr II line has one 8-pin PCI-e power slot and one 6-pin. Based on this picture....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...20Video%20Card

If you look at the back of it it has these two things, in your picture you only have two 6 pins installed and yours doesn't have the 8-pin... since when did 570s from that line-up have that? Maybe it's just not an OC'd kind? I'd be shocked. My 560 Ti has two 6-pin power slots, then I've heard the 570 has the 8+6, and then the 8+8.... maybe I'm just grabbing at strings. Just seems odd it would not be getting the juice it may need.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm a little confused, what part of that picture shows a 6 pin and 8 pin?

i've an evga gtx 570 that only runs a pair of 6s too

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Namor of Muradin View Post
    This is the set up I ordered and will be building. Opted for AMD chip to help offset cost of SSD so I can stay around $1300 total. Thoughts on adding another 4 GB of RAM?

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 with 2 fans added to stock (top, side)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 4x 965
    MB: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
    PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    CPU heatsink: Thermaltake Frio
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 x 1
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560
    SSD: 128GB Crucial m4
    Data Drive: 1 TB Western Digital 64 MB cache

Thanks for feedback!
    Honestly I think it was a bad decision. Going from a K10.5 to Sandy Bridge was a much more satisfying upgrade than getting an SSD. Especially where SSD's seem to underperform on AMD systems for whatever reason.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Especially where SSD's seem to underperform on AMD systems for whatever reason.
    Wha..? Please do tell more...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i'm a little confused, what part of that picture shows a 6 pin and 8 pin?

i've an evga gtx 570 that only runs a pair of 6s too
    The reference versions do, but MSI's runs on a 6 and 8. Look on the picture of the back of the card, in the upper-right you see the pins that are in the circuit board for where the power is hooked up. Let me do some MS paint work....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The reference versions do, but MSI's runs on a 6 and 8. Look on the picture of the back of the card, in the upper-right you see the pins that are in the circuit board for where the power is hooked up. Let me do some MS paint work....
    It doesn't look like the Twin Frozr II cooler either, but rather the Twin Frozr III.
    Quote Originally Posted by charleybwoy View Post
    Great job! i like it and i will use it as wallpaper if its allright with you
    Sure, go right ahead.

Deleted
    HP ProBook 6450b Running arena at 15-25 FPS, problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    ahh .. i wasn't looking at that image, i was looking to the image you linked ..

was too busy looking at that image i didn't even see the gallery view on the right

(the image when i click on the link is of the box and contents etc, where neither the back of the card, nor the power ports are visible

Deleted

<snip>

While this might be extremely off-topic... those zoom buttons tricked me! I feel stupid now.

If you look carefully at that very image, you can see it is two six pin connectors. The additional two solder points are flat, and have no connectors installed. Also, the little white hole above them is an unoccupied mount for the plastic plug socket, the 8pin version. Both the plastic sets of plastic push-through mounts there are the same width apart, hence 6pin+6pin.

Le source:
    http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=58591

http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=65217
    Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2011-10-09 at 12:40 AM.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    It doesn't look like the Twin Frozr II cooler either, but rather the Twin Frozr III.

Sure, go right ahead.
    The one I linked is in fact one of the pictures for the old Twin Frozr II 570.

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 01:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    If you look carefully at that very image, you can see it is two six pin connectors. The additional two solder points are flat, and have no connectors installed. Also, the little white hole above them is an unoccupied mount for the plastic plug socket, the 8pin version. Both the plastic sets of plastic push-through mounts there are the same width apart, hence 6pin+6pin.

Le source:
    http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=58591

http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=65217
    Well that explains it! Fair enough, and nice digging!
    "A flower.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a two-part post, figured it would make more sense to post my question here instead of starting a new thread for a simple question.

Current main-PC build..

CPU : Intel i7 920, 2.67GHz @ 3.3GHz, 48° @ full load
    CPU cooler : Coolermaster V8
    GPU : EVGA GTX580, 1.5GB
    RAM : 12GB Corsair Dominator GT (triple channel 6x2GB)
    Motherboard : Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
    HD : assorted & too many to mention ~ 8TB total
    Optical drives : 2 x LITE-ON IHBS112-04 Blu Ray burners (thx to NewEgg for the free bonus one)
    PSU : OCZ-ZX850W
    Case : Coolermaster CM690 with enough fans to ventilate a small house =)

Here's my question / main reason for posting - how much further would you think it's safe to push my CPU without resorting to anything beyond air cooling? It's been running stable for over a year @ 3.3GHz with the Coolermaster V8, and there is plenty of airflow in the case. I've got every single possible fan installed in my CM690 and the fan controller's temperature probes are showing that the fans are doing their job at keeping everything nice and stable, so I'm debating pushing it further. Honestly I haven't done a lot of overclocking, I stopped at 3.3GHz because that was the fastest automatic setting that the Gigabyte EasyTune software had by default, but it's running so stable that I thought taking it a bit further would be a good way to extend the life of the system. Everything runs great, no need or desire to get a new CPU yet, but it can always run better, you know what I mean? I wanted to put a new CPU / mobo in there and move these off to my HTPC, but I just can't justify the upgrade ATM since the HTPC and this rig are running just fine, so I thought getting a bit more performance out of what I already have could keep me satisfied for a few extra months. I wanted to try and push it to 3.6, but I wasn't sure if the cooling system that I had was beefy enough to handle the additional load from the CPU. It's only the cooler and the CPU I'm worried about, I know the case is ventilated enough to handle it and the PSU is one of the best investments I've ever made, I can't speak highly enough of it.

Any suggestions / tips for taking it further?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Wha..? Please do tell more...
    Mostly personal experience, my Vertex II ended up performing better on a P67 than it did on an SB850. By benchmarks it was only like 5-10mb/s more raw transfer, and the latency was no different.

Not saying it's raw fact, because its most likely a fluke, or just the difference the Sandy Bridge CPU did. Either way, the SSD felt a little more worth the money on a P67 than it did on my old SB850. So much that when I was still using my AMD stuff, I was considering returning the SSD because it made little difference compared to the Cavs.

At least on the P67 the SSD makes some marginal amount of difference.

...as you can see I am still far from convinced SSD's are worth the cost. lol.
    red panda red panda red panda!