10+ Year Old Account
    MB: ASUS P8Z68-V
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k
    Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
    GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 DCII
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 8GB (2x 4GB)
    PSU: Corsair HX750
    HD1: WD Black 1TB
    HD2: WD Green 2TB
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2470
    Mouse: Razer Naga
    Keyboard: Logitech G110
    Level 100 Blood Elf Paladin / Holy + Protection
    Anar'alah belore!
    Talvira, EU-Skullcrusher

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    This is a two-part post, figured it would make more sense to post my question here instead of starting a new thread for a simple question.

Current main-PC build..

CPU : Intel i7 920, 2.67GHz @ 3.3GHz, 48° @ full load
    CPU cooler : Coolermaster V8
    GPU : EVGA GTX580, 1.5GB
    RAM : 12GB Corsair Dominator GT (triple channel 6x2GB)
    Motherboard : Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
    HD : assorted & too many to mention ~ 8TB total
    Optical drives : 2 x LITE-ON IHBS112-04 Blu Ray burners (thx to NewEgg for the free bonus one)
    PSU : OCZ-ZX850W
    Case : Coolermaster CM690 with enough fans to ventilate a small house =)

Here's my question / main reason for posting - how much further would you think it's safe to push my CPU without resorting to anything beyond air cooling? It's been running stable for over a year @ 3.3GHz with the Coolermaster V8, and there is plenty of airflow in the case. I've got every single possible fan installed in my CM690 and the fan controller's temperature probes are showing that the fans are doing their job at keeping everything nice and stable, so I'm debating pushing it further. Honestly I haven't done a lot of overclocking, I stopped at 3.3GHz because that was the fastest automatic setting that the Gigabyte EasyTune software had by default, but it's running so stable that I thought taking it a bit further would be a good way to extend the life of the system. Everything runs great, no need or desire to get a new CPU yet, but it can always run better, you know what I mean? I wanted to put a new CPU / mobo in there and move these off to my HTPC, but I just can't justify the upgrade ATM since the HTPC and this rig are running just fine, so I thought getting a bit more performance out of what I already have could keep me satisfied for a few extra months. I wanted to try and push it to 3.6, but I wasn't sure if the cooling system that I had was beefy enough to handle the additional load from the CPU. It's only the cooler and the CPU I'm worried about, I know the case is ventilated enough to handle it and the PSU is one of the best investments I've ever made, I can't speak highly enough of it.

Any suggestions / tips for taking it further?
    If you put the time into it.... you could probably get that CPU up to 4.0GHz... it'll run warm but I bet you could do it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    <snip>

Any suggestions / tips for taking it further?
    With a V8? You should be able to comfortably obtain a 3.8ghz overclock.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    With a V8? You should be able to comfortably obtain a 3.8ghz overclock.
    I guess I need to start reading up how to push it faster. I don't really know all the OC settings on the mobo itself, the Gigabyte software handles all of it wiithin windows and sets the bios when you reboot. I chose the fastest preset but it can go faster, I just would have to enter the right settings. If I posted the screenshots could you guys help me learn how to push it a bit further?

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm

Not really familiar with overclocking non-sandybridge chips, only thing I know is it requires a lot more effort and fine-tuning to get right. Look up a guide maybe? Or perhaps someone here can give you a really brief rundown of some basic settings you can switch.

Here's a really neat guide I found (PDF) based on overclocking an i7 920 + X58-UD5 setup:
    http://images.tweaktown.com/imageban..._%28ENG%29.pdf

The BIOS stuff should be 99% similar to yours. GL

On another note, followed Cantii's advice for a cooler-running GPU and installed a Prolimatech Vortex 140mm (bottom intake):

It matches the rest of the case just fine when the other LED fans turn on

I pushed my i5 to 4.3 with little to no effort at all, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...ore-i5-2500k/1 is a good guide though
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

Umm

Not really familiar with overclocking non-sandybridge chips, only thing I know is it requires a lot more effort and fine-tuning to get right. Look up a guide maybe? Or perhaps someone here can give you a really brief rundown of some basic settings you can switch.

Here's a really neat guide I found (PDF) based on overclocking an i7 920 + X58-UD5 setup:
    http://images.tweaktown.com/imageban..._%28ENG%29.pdf

The BIOS stuff should be 99% similar to yours. GL

On another note, followed Cantii's advice for a cooler-running GPU and installed a Prolimatech Vortex 140mm (bottom intake):

It matches the rest of the case just fine when the other LED fans turn on
    Is that just a regular 140mm fan on the bottom intake for the GPU or is there anything special about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a 140mm fan lol, nothing special...(how does a 140mm fan become "special" anyway?)

15+ Year Old Account
    So how is it working for you? Does it compare to that 3XXmm whatever table fan? xD

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He has another thread.... >_>

@Xuvial: He expected the very fan that kept the center of the Death Star cool enough to not explode spontaneously!!!! :O
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Just a 140mm fan lol, nothing special...(how does a 140mm fan become "special" anyway?)
    I was just curious if it was a standard 140mm fan or some sort of special aftermarket kit specifically for cooling GPUs. A fan is a fan I guess.

Finally unbanned again! What'd I miss? :3

I also helped another mate put together his computer. He was savvy enough with computers, but has an eyesight beyond what glasses and/or contacts can correct. So you try putting together a computer when you can't see that your motherboard's lined up with the stand-offs.

Gave me some insight to the Cooler Master CM 690 II.

It has the same glaring issue as the HAF X, or at least it does if you're on Sandy Bridge; its motherboard-tray's cut-out is simply off for SB users (and maybe other platforms, of which I'm not certain of). So either get power-tools and make that hole larger or be prepared to remove the motherboard if you're gonna put a cooler on later.

The panels are pushed onto and into a space, rather than close like doors. This is extremely annoying when you've finished your job on the backside and need to get the backpanel on, but can't get all four corners to properly sit. And this happens all the time. Level 10 GT has a similar issue, so this isn't exactly a world-first for me. And the whole bezel is a bit bigger than the aluminum itself. It looks pretty, but isn't practical when you try and figure out how the panels come on again. o.o;

5.25" bay covers were a little odd to remove, but simple enough.

And finally, the hard drive mounts are extremely annoying to get right. They just won't seem to frigging click into place. Sheesh.

Though to be fair I'm making more of a fuss of it than I should. Building in it was very good. Just some small nitpicks that can really scratch my nerve after, what, four different computer cases? Cable management was neat and easy to do and didn't really require anything. That part is best described as entirely uneventful to be fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add Storm Sniper to the list of cases where the CPU cut-out doesn't match. I seriously can't understand what stops the manufacturers from making the CPU hole larger. The motherboard standoff-points hardly mean that they need to be so damn restrictive with the cut-out area!

600T cutout:

HAF-X cutout:

^ Is that a joke?

Mind you, Xuvial, even if the HAF X's cut-out was only increased till it nearly bumped into the standoff spots it'd still be large enough to accommodate SB users.

And Synthaxx, stop blueballing me with your ideas! :E

Figured I should post a picture of my setup.

Specs:
    AMD 965 BE @ 3.4 Ghz
    Patriot Sector 5 8GBv @ 1333 Mhz
    Sapphire 6950 2GB x2
    Corsair 750W PSU
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD
    HAF 922

DasKeyboard Pro
    Razer Deathadder
    Asus 24" Monitor (2ms Response Time)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post

It has the same glaring issue as the HAF X, or at least it does if you're on Sandy Bridge; its motherboard-tray's cut-out is simply off for SB users (and maybe other platforms, of which I'm not certain of). So either get power-tools and make that hole larger or be prepared to remove the motherboard if you're gonna put a cooler on later.

Odd, my HAF912 has the cutout perfect for my board. Would be able to adjust anything or install a new heatsink if so needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    same with my 912+ it's not perfectly centred, but all 4 screws are accessible, only problem i have is one of my sata power cables has been cabletied "too close" that it makes using the screwdriver crap without moving it first :P

Asus Sabertooth P67
    Core I5 2500k @ 4.4
    8g's Corsair Xms3 @ 1600
    Corsair GS800
    Zotac GTX570's in SLI
    Coolermaster V6
    Coolermaster Storm Enforcer

For inquiries regarding amazing desk, you will need to travel back in time and speak to me in my grade 11 Practicle applied arts class.

Last edited by chadbrah; 2011-10-11 at 06:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Built the PC and the desk eh? Cool stuff
    +Points for the Sabertooth and very good cable management!
    I'll take a point off for the GS800 though, not what I would've picked for SLI 570's.

Built the PC and the desk eh? Cool stuff
    +Points for the Sabertooth and very good cable management!
    I'll take a point off for the GS800 though, not what I would've picked for SLI 570's.
    Yeah I agree SLI wasnt really the original plan for my build, just happened to come across a deal I couldnt pass up on my second 570. Had to get rather creative behind the mobotray for all the GS800 cables tho. The system doesnt pull anywhere near the 800, but not quite as much headroom as I would like. If I see a decent deal on hx 850/1k then I will nab it, but this is working wonders for me right now and couldnt be happier.