The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Add Storm Sniper to the list of cases where the CPU cut-out doesn't match. I seriously can't understand what stops the manufacturers from making the CPU hole larger. The motherboard standoff-points hardly mean that they need to be so damn restrictive with the cut-out area!

600T cutout:

HAF-X cutout:

^ Is that a joke?
    Yeah.... the HAF X cutout really ticked me off. I was really hoping it would all match up perfectly. Nope. -.-
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Odd, my HAF912 has the cutout perfect for my board. Would be able to adjust anything or install a new heatsink if so needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    same with my 912+ it's not perfectly centred, but all 4 screws are accessible, only problem i have is one of my sata power cables has been cabletied "too close" that it makes using the screwdriver crap without moving it first :P
    That's nice. I'll have to keep the HAF 912+ in mind then perhaps.

I've always had a good experience with HAF Cases. They're pretty much all I buy for myself and clients, with the exceptions being the NZXT Phantom and Corsair 600T.

Case brands only really surprise you once. As you build more computers you really get into the business pretty damn fast.

I mean, my method of building the computer goes like this now:

a. Bring out the case.
    b. Put in powersupply.
    c. Plot, place and feed the 8pin connector. (NZXT Phantom has one revision where this is really hard to do after mounting mobo.)
    d. Mount everything you need on the motherboard prior to mounting in case. (Unless you need the motherboard in the case to do so.)

That's like the ruleset of building a computer. After that there's no particular order in my book anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Case brands only really surprise you once. As you build more computers you really get into the business pretty damn fast.

a. Bring out the case.
    b. Put in powersupply.
    c. Plot, place and feed the 8pin connector. (NZXT Phantom has one revision where this is really hard to do after mounting mobo.)
    d. Mount everything you need on the motherboard prior to mounting in case. (Unless you need the motherboard in the case to do so.)

That's like the ruleset of building a computer. After that there's no particular order in my book anymore.
    That's true, I suppose. A better way of phrasing it would be to say that all of my first impressions with the brands have been fantastic. After having built what must be one hundred computers in my lifetime, it's pretty hard to surprise me with anything. I've made my fair share of blood sacrifices to the case gods, that's for sure.

Cut yourself on the case too now, have you? Did that just the other day right on the spot where the two last bones of my right hand's middle finger connect.

Ouch. I've gotten myself in between fingers a few times before. Not being able to move my hand properly for a few days is a bit of a pain, to be sure. I really don't miss the days of razor sharp metal edges in my case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post

a. Bring out the case.
    b. Put in powersupply.

I go with -

strip case down
    install backplate on mobo if there is one
    place mobo in case
    mount cpu, ram, heatsink, gpu (in that order)
    Run wiring as I see fit.

I'm really visual, so planning wires beforehand is hard for me. I have to see everything in place in front of me.

I'm mostly mentioning the 8pin because, as it turns out, the NZXT Phantom wouldn't let me pull the cable through its' slot because the motherboard was in the way.

So I've avoided that bullet henceforth by placing it beforehand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Later on, when they release the 3980X or 3990X 8-core, i'll probably end up getting that, but that's quite a long time away.
    pretty much what i'll be waiting on, i also wanna go with new 8gb sticks for a 8x8 setup, and have a 48gb ramdisk and 16gb usable ram

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to one-up Marest, my 560 Ti is now at 980MHz/1960MHz.

I'm running out of things to do/tweak on this computer without having a safe money-pool to back me up just in the extreme cases. Pff.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I've heard people getting the 560 Ti to 1050Mhz and beyond. Unfortunately for me, my card is not so easy to clock. I'm having hard times keeping it stable at 975Mhz in some titles. I've tried to get 980, 985 and 990Mhz stable but to no avail. I usually run it at 970Mhz just to save me some trouble, but for some titles (e.g. GTA IV) I need to clock it down to 910Mhz to avoid crashes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I've heard people getting the 560 Ti to 1050Mhz and beyond. Unfortunately for me, my card is not so easy to clock. I'm having hard times keeping it stable at 975Mhz in some titles. I've tried to get 980, 985 and 990Mhz stable but to no avail. I usually run it at 970Mhz just to save me some trouble, but for some titles (e.g. GTA IV) I need to clock it down to 910Mhz to avoid crashes.
    Yeah my screen went black for a couple seconds in SC2 but it was mostly fine. Going to test out in Rift now.
    "A flower.

I've been even more hands-on with the HAF-cases now, especially the 912plus.

Do. Not. Like. Flimsy, blocky, ugly, disco. Without a top-mounted fan, pressing the fan-grills creates a very awkward flex.

As for the topic of motherboard cutouts, it was fine on my FD Define. Was able to unequip my previous cooler and attach the NH-D14 with no issues whatsoever.

Aye, cut-outs may be good, but I think from now on I'll still mount the backplate before mounting the motherboard. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is why I want to find a new job, so I can fix these issues. I think I see either an Elysium or Design Define XL in my future.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 10:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

I'm running out of things to do/tweak on this computer without having a safe money-pool to back me up just in the extreme cases. Pff.
    Yeah that OC was short-lived-as-fuck.

Even at 960MHz after a few minutes of stability my screen blacked out and the card reverted back to the factory OC from MSI of 880MHz.

I guess I'll just stick with the proven-to-work 950MHz.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    I just have a quick question, not worth making a thread about; Is a Corsair CX V2 500W enough to power a GTX 560Ti?
    (Already bought the PSU. Was planning to buy a 6870 but changed plans.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not have personally gone for the CX series as it seems a bit cheaper and not so much for gamers, but it should be fine for one 560 Ti.
    "A flower.

I just have a quick question, not worth making a thread about; Is a Corsair CX V2 500W enough to power a GTX 560Ti?
    Should be OK if it is 80+. Nvidia recommends 500W or more for 560Ti, and personally i have a 550W running this card and i52500@4.2 with a bunch of peripherals (4SATA devices). Runs cool and quiet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anb View Post
    Should be OK if it is 80+. Nvidia recommends 500W or more for 560Ti, and personally i have a 550W running this card and i52500@4.2 with a bunch of peripherals (4SATA devices). Runs cool and quiet.
    Yep. It's 80+ Bronze.