RAM heatspreaders do nothing except cause troubles. Their purpose is to look pretty. They're not actually needed as far as the heatdissipation goes.
    But I wouldn't remove those not screwed on, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Yeah it is on the same controller my RAID array is on. I'll try moving it to the Marvell ports when I get home.
    Shouldn't matter if you've got ACHI. Shouldn't.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I finally decided to put on display my first video card.

By the way, I'm wondering how much the Dell monitor in the picture is worth/if it's actually a good quality one, it seems so. It's from 2005, a Dell Ultrasharp, it's a 17" monitor. The mount for it is heavy as shit and actually lets me adjust it unlike my terrible Gateway mount for my 22" monitor.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    A week and it arrives!!

CASE: NZXT Phantom (White)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics
    Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC / Xtremegear Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator SHARKOON Eagle SE Ultra Slient Modular Fans
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z68-V Pro Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard
    MEMORY: 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory Kingston HyperX w/Heat Spreader
    GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 1536MB SLI(x2)
    PSU: CoolerMaster 1000watt Silent ProModular Gaming Power Supply

The only thing I'm still not sure of is my RAM...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidders View Post
    A week and it arrives!!

CASE: NZXT Phantom (White)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics
    Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC / Xtremegear Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator SHARKOON Eagle SE Ultra Slient Modular Fans
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z68-V Pro Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard
    MEMORY: 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory Kingston HyperX w/Heat Spreader
    GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 1536MB SLI(x2)
    PSU: CoolerMaster 1000watt Silent ProModular Gaming Power Supply

With that kind of a setup I would get some nice 1.5v (or lower) RAM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidders View Post
    G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB DDR3 1600 would work out pretty nice. ($50)

If you want higher speeds I've heard that Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 2133 are pretty good, and also easilly overclockable. ($100)
    Last edited by mmoc004bc643ae; 2011-11-29 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added some text

Deleted
    Idk but it runs BF3 in highest settings with 50-90 fps. it was only 648 euro's!! I cant check specs atm cause my hard drive decided to quit. he screwed me and gone home. I was able to get a new 1 for free because it was still under warranty. so I bought 3 pokeballs and started chasing him through facebook. after 34 days I finally arrived. after a short struggle he ran to his car and I threw my first pokeball. it missed him so I only had 2 chances left and I had to chase him. so I went back to my car and told my friend to drive while I was going to throw pokeballs at my hard drive. after I missed my second I had to climb out of the window and throw the last pokeball at my hard drive. my hard drive tried to push us of the highway but before he succeeded my friend gave me the chance to throw the pokeball. we crashed and everything went black.
    after what only felt for a second, something was moving in my pocket. I opened my eyes and saw I was in an ambulance. I reached into my pocket and felt the pokeball wich didnt contain my hard drive because it wasnt a pokemon. when I got out of hospital I decided to go to prison to see the hard drive and after months of planning, we broke out. I sent my hard drive away to the site where they made my computer at and I just got a new hard drive today.

* User was infracted for minor spam..
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-11-29 at 10:12 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see another Fractal owner! I <3 my Define Mini, it's pretty big inside for a case that only fits microATX boards, you could put a 6990 in it.

I saw something today and I am thinking my Christmas present to myself this year will be a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSHD:
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=65149

The price is good at 256 bucks for a 750GB drive, assuming reviews on it are positive and that Seagate has fixed their problems with their hard drives as the last couple of years they have been terrible with quality control, it might be a great option for a secondary drive to house all my games for faster loading times, because quite honestly some games are horrendous on a mechanical drive for load times even with 12GB of memory in my system.

I am also thinking of getting the Noctua NH-C12P cooler as well, unless someone can find me a liquid cooling solution that has a single 120mm radiator, since my case is capable of fitting a tank since the hard drive cage is comprised of two sections and I can keep it sitting in the bottom part (so long as I don't get a card longer then a 6970 in terms of size, it won't be an issue anyway)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by r0cki View Post
    Going from a laptop with:

Intel Core2Duo T5750 @ 2Ghz
    3GB Ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470
    300GB HDD

To a desktop with:

Antec Three Hundred
    Corsair 500W true power
    Asus P8H67 USB3, SATA3
    Intel Core i5 2500k 3.30GHZ 6MB cache
    Gráfica EVGA GTX 560 TI DS 1024MB GDDR5
    8GB GSKILL RIPJAW-X ddr3
    1TB sata2 7200rpm

Seems nice? I think it does. ;D Skyrim, i'm waiting for you <3
    Rofl, i rest my case... Beast computer, i'm running Skyrim on Ultra High and WoW with everything maxed + DirectX11... Jesus christ, what a huge upgrade from my old laptop... :O

Curses, now my uncertainty strikes. If or when I get a bunch of money as refund for lacking a bathroom for 3 months I'd possibly like to purchase a GTX 580 (3 GB edition), and not too long after watercool it when economy sits well within me again.

But would there be a purpose to it? When's the nVid 600 series and the HD 7000 series coming out again? And is it assumed that the pricetags are reasonable before ~6 months time? D:

INTEL i7 2600K, SOCKET 1155
    ASUS P8Z8V- PRO
    GTX580 SLI 1536MB DDR5
    16GB DDR3 1600MHZ KINGSTON
    COOLERMASTER HAF922
    1k gb WD
    1000W CM

so happy just orderd my new pc

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm waiting for the 6xx series Nvidia cards myself. Been hearing rumours about late Q1 release so not too long if it holds any truth You have to ask yourself, do you need more powerful card right now or can you hold on for couple additional months for something more awesome?

GTX 580 was around $625 when it launched and is now around $525, should be pretty close to what's 680 going to be, no?

How did the 480 hold up versus the 580? :U

And I'm not a very patient guy. If I have to wait until March it's too long! :P

The 600-series won't be out until mid-q2, hd7000-series is slated for release second week of Jan, with availability first week of Feb.
    The 480 is a lot closer to the 580 than the 580 will be to the "680".
    And there's also no guarantees that nVidia has the performance crown, as I'm thinking AMD actually wants it this generation. OTOH, they have until May to perfect it, so it might beat it after all.

The 480 was around 5000 SEK when it launched. The 5870 was around 3500 SEK when it launched.
    &nbsp;

Heh. Mostly wondering whether to care saving up, 's all. Else I'll always be waiting. ._.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The 600-series won't be out until mid-q2, hd7000-series is slated for release second week of Jan, with availability first week of Feb.
    The 480 is a lot closer to the 580 than the 580 will be to the "680".
    And there's also no guarantees that nVidia has the performance crown, as I'm thinking AMD actually wants it this generation. OTOH, they have until May to perfect it, so it might beat it after all.

The 480 was around 5000 SEK when it launched. The 5870 was around 3500 SEK when it launched.
    I heard that AMD was slating their first line of 7000 graphics cards for late December, though mainly lower end and mid range cards with their premier flagship cards coming early next year.

And I have never been of the notion that Nvidia is truly all that superior, I have maintained that for the last few years if you want to get what you pay for, AMD is the proper route and that Nvidia you pay a premium though they do have somewhat better driver support then AMD does. Nvidia has fallen short and needs to stop charging so much for their products if they want to fend off AMD.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-11-30 at 01:59 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I heard that AMD was slating their first line of 7000 graphics cards for late December, though mainly lower end and mid range cards with their premier flagship cards coming early next year.
    That would match what they did with the 6k series. I got a 6870 the day after they came out, the 69xx cards didn't come out for another while after.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    And I have never been of the notion that Nvidia is truly all that superior, I have maintained that for the last few years if you want to get what you pay for, AMD is the proper route and that Nvidia you pay a premium though they do have somewhat better driver support then AMD does. Nvidia has fallen short and needs to stop charging so much for their products if they want to fend off AMD.
    Umm. What?

This might just be me, but their performance tend to match the price without any such premium. The GTX 560 ti is lesser in cost and performance to the HD 6950, while the GTX 570 is slightly above it again in both price and performance.

Or, in other words, there's a pretty finely tuned ladder of the cards on the sites I frequent. No premium. Despite nVidia apparently having distinctly better anti-alias features. ("Apparently," because it requires side by side comparison to notice as far as I'm concerned).

---------- Post added 2011-11-30 at 01:43 PM ----------

Either way, it rather sounds like it'll be a while before any high-range card is within what I'd consider a particularly affordable pricerange. ._. I still have plenty of time to think though, as the landlord's taking his time trying to crunch the numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Idk but it runs BF3 in highest settings with 50-90 fps. it was only 648 euro's!! I cant check specs atm cause my hard drive decided to quit. he screwed me and gone home. I was able to get a new 1 for free because it was still under warranty. so I bought 3 pokeballs and started chasing him through facebook. after 34 days I finally arrived. after a short struggle he ran to his car and I threw my first pokeball. it missed him so I only had 2 chances left and I had to chase him. so I went back to my car and told my friend to drive while I was going to throw pokeballs at my hard drive. after I missed my second I had to climb out of the window and throw the last pokeball at my hard drive. my hard drive tried to push us of the highway but before he succeeded my friend gave me the chance to throw the pokeball. we crashed and everything went black.
    after what only felt for a second, something was moving in my pocket. I opened my eyes and saw I was in an ambulance. I reached into my pocket and felt the pokeball wich didnt contain my hard drive because it wasnt a pokemon. when I got out of hospital I decided to go to prison to see the hard drive and after months of planning, we broke out. I sent my hard drive away to the site where they made my computer at and I just got a new hard drive today.

* User was infracted for minor spam..
    Cool story bro.

* User was infracted. We discourage memes. There's also no point in responding to people whom clearly have been infracted.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-11-30 at 03:19 PM.

On an unrelated note, is this the most view thread of the boards? :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    On an unrelated note, is this the most view thread of the boards? :O
    Funny Pictures Megathread has 1.2mil views and the 3 MLP threads combined have over 4 million. The first MLP thread came close to beating the world's largest thread @ ~15k pages, and technically it has beaten it totaling around ~17k pages total.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze