Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    That does not have a GPU cooler? Mind clarifying? That it doesn't have a dedicated GPU cooling fan you mean?

Corsair 800D is particularly targeted towards watercooling, but there's nothing really stopping one from using the 800D. Temperatures should never be high unless your cooler is bad.
    Yes a dedicated GPU fan is what I am referring to, of which the HAF X has a large one stock and has the ability to have a second one installed. The GPU fan does help, I've never once seen temps as good as I have now with my HAF X. I barely break 60c and that's only occasionally in certain games. Yes I know up to 80c is safe but I'll take 60c over 80c any day of the week as it helps keep other case temps and my room temp down.

And on the note about the SSD Cyanotical is correct, one of the best overall SSD is the Intel 320 and it's only SATA II. Because of it's performance it ends up being faster then some SATA III models. The data transfer rate is not where you will notice the biggest difference in performance.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    And on the note about the SSD Cyanotical is correct, one of the best overall SSD is the Intel 320 and it's only SATA II. Because of it's performance it ends up being faster then some SATA III models. The data transfer rate is not where you will notice the biggest difference in performance.
    no what i mean is that the connectors and cabling are the same, you can use a SATA-2 cable with a SATA-3 drive with no ill affect, and the connectors in the hot swap bays are just male-to-male connectors

in fact official SATA 3 cables are the same as SATA-2 cables, they may just have an extra bit of EMI shielding

Well they are still both correct and valid points.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    Yes a dedicated GPU fan is what I am referring to, of which the HAF X has a large one stock and has the ability to have a second one installed. The GPU fan does help, I've never once seen temps as good as I have now with my HAF X. I barely break 60c and that's only occasionally in certain games. Yes I know up to 80c is safe but I'll take 60c over 80c any day of the week as it helps keep other case temps and my room temp down.
    A dedicated GPU fan is all good (I have one too in my Lvl10GT, and I can say with a straight face its fan is better than HAF X), but the damned fans in HAF X have ridiculously short cables.

Pissed me off to no end. They used molex connectors to make the cable longer, sure, but that is a rather moot point in my opinion. It wasn't necessarily a problem finding mobo fan slots in range for the fans though, but the sidepanel was a real pain in the ass when the cable for its fan barely reached the nearest fan slot.

I like the Lvl10GT's door, where the fan on it is connected to the case by a contact surface that it meets when the door is shut. Prefer how the HAF X's other sidepanel is though, but I'd moreso love ala 650D/800D's panels even more.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Nah, I meant that 12GB is overkill, which is what I'm upgrading to. I know 6GB is enough, but I got a good deal on the memory (25% off for buying the other stuff from Newegg).
    12GB = never having to worry about your i7 being throttled while multitasking. Hell when I was using 4GB on my i7 for a short while, it was stupidly slow trying to load multiple large programs at the same time because of the bottleneck in lack of RAM. Now that I have 12GB I can start up like 4 big applications without it hanging.

Err, you just shifted the bottleneck to the hard drive. o.o

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Drunken is spot on. Get an SSD and you will really lower issues with loading programs slowly. ;p
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Drunken is spot on. Get an SSD and you will really lower issues with loading programs slowly. ;p
    I have an SSD, for my OS. I don't really think I can afford to get one to use for all my big applications plus my Steam games :P

Get a 240GB SSD!

I'm feeling a little edgy about my purchase now, because I realized rather late that I'm now nearly broke and still haven't begun Christmas shopping... I completely forgot.

Saving for a major upgrade. But this is what I have atm.

keyboard: Saitek cyborg

Mouse: Razer mamba 2012 edition

Headset: Plantronics around the neck style. Noting special. But work great.

Monitor: Acer 22Inch. (forget exact model)

Case: Raidmax Dirk-Tooth

CPU: Phenom II X4 9950 bE

MB: Asus M3a79-T Deluxe

Old Creative SB audigy 2 Platinum EX. Works good surprisingly since it's about 7 years old. lol

GPU GTX 560ti. But just won a GTX 570 from Guild launch.

Ram: Crucial Ballistx DDR2 8gigs
    Whopping 401 MHz

Can't wait for a great upgrade. Hopefully in the next few months.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well kill me dead, I just bought my first laptop - desperately needed it for work, bedroom studying, watching stuff on TV, light portable gaming, etc and I couldn't exactly carry around my 25kg tower around the house.
    I wish I could build one with my own hands but laptops don't work that way, not without costing an arm and a leg :P

Specs:
    Model: Asus N55SF White
    CPU: Intel i5 2430M <--should be powerful enough
    RAM: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3
    Display: 15.6" (1600x900) LED Backlight <--Great resolution for a 15.6" screen
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 2GB DDR3 VRAM <--enough for most games at low/med settings.
    Ports: 2 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0 <--I love USB3!
    Dimensions: 37.9 x 26.1 x 3.7 ~3.75 cm (WxDxH)
    Weight: 2.7 kg (with 6 cell battery)

I will replace the pathetic 5400RPM drive with a 128gb SSD later down the road (limited to Sata2 since I highly doubt the laptop is using a Sata3 port), now that I have a taste for SSD's I simply can't go back to slow boots/performance ever again

The most I'll play on it is some Portal, Audiosurf, Batman, Amnesia, you know those singleplayer "games you play when you're bored" kind of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazdreg View Post
    Saving for a major upgrade. But this is what I have atm.

keyboard: Saitek cyborg
    Mouse: Razer mamba 2012 edition
    Headset: Plantronics around the neck style. Noting special. But work great.
    Monitor: Acer 22Inch. (forget exact model)
    Case: Raidmax Dirk-Tooth
    CPU: Phenom II X4 9950 bE
    MB: Asus M3a79-T Deluxe
    Old Creative SB audigy 2 Platinum EX. Works good surprisingly since it's about 7 years old. lol
    GPU GTX 560ti. But just won a GTX 570 from Guild launch.

Ram: Crucial Ballistx DDR2 8gigs
    Whopping 401 MHz

Can't wait for a great upgrade. Hopefully in the next few months.
    A big gratz on winning that GTX570! But what are you going to do with it? It's hardly an upgrade over the 560 Ti, I would probably sell the 570 and buy another 560 Ti for SLI. Or sell the 560 Ti and run SLI 570 with a 120hz monitor for an absolute BEAST of a gaming computer :P
    And I believe that Audigy 2 Platinum EX should still be better than most onboard sound solutions.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-12-18 at 05:49 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Forgot about Christmas? That's a good one. Honestly, i should try that. I don't think my "I don't care about Christmas" attitude will work for many more years even if that is how i really feel every year =\
    I didn't forget Christmas... I forgot expenses related to it. ._.

You can't say I didn't warn you about spending it all at once now, can you? :]
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    My computer is far from special, but it runs WoW on max graphics, and SW:ToR on medium graphics smoothly, max is choppy but only in large towns.

Intel Core 2 Duo E660 @ 2.4ghz
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB
    4 GB RAM
    320 GB Hard Drive

Can't remember the case model, but it's an Alienware knock off case, but with no aliens. Same look as alot of Alienware stuff, LED strips on the front / sides, a clear case on the left side, with an LED fan. Pretty beautiful, maybe not what I would have chosen, but it was a bit of a hand-me-down from my brother when he went into the military. I've upgraded a few things inside the comp since I got it, but the case has remained.

It's not spectacular, but it runs everything really great. Since I have dual 20" monitors, I was going to buy a 2nd graphics card and dedicate them to my screens, but it runs so smoothly it's kinda not worth it, especially since I plan on getting a new laptop soon that will be far better than my desktop... Or a decent laptop and upgrade my desktop(??). I dunno what I'm gonna do. Suggestions?!

Can't remember all the specs off the top of my head as I'm at work (Currently on my sister's absolute shit laptop).
    Last edited by Mr Gnomage; 2011-12-18 at 02:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Get a 240GB SSD!
    Is it bad that even a 240GB SSD would be too small for all my stuff? :|

And no that's NOT including storage.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Is it bad that even a 240GB SSD would be too small for all my stuff? :|

And no that's NOT including storage.
    Nope, I'm in the same boat... my Steam/Origin games HDD has 275GB of data on it (and that's not counting Windows + WoW + Firefox/Thunderbird on my current 64GB SSD... which only has ~4.5GB of free space left )

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a 240GB SSD!

I'm feeling a little edgy about my purchase now, because I realized rather late that I'm now nearly broke and still haven't begun Christmas shopping... I completely forgot.
    I'd be looking at more along the lines of a 350GB SSD at minimum. My secondary drive is 2TB and I still have 1TB of space left on it. Odds are I have at least 500GB used on Steam games and that keeps growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I'd be looking at more along the lines of a 350GB SSD at minimum. My secondary drive is 2TB and I still have 1TB of space left on it. Odds are I have at least 500GB used on Steam games and that keeps growing.
    Usually you wouldnt put every game you own on your ssd. its not like you play that 500 gigs of steam games..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrah View Post
    Usually you wouldnt put every game you own on your ssd. its not like you play that 500 gigs of steam games..
    That's what I was thinking, you can only play so many games at the same damn time -_- especially if one of them is an MMO.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrah View Post
    Well, the larger games would yes, but my library is quite extensive considering I have only owned gaming PC's less then 2 years. I'd say my Steam library is around 350GB right now and I still can't manage to finish off the Dragon Age: Origins download because doing so would consume my entire months bandwidth (Rogers 30GB cap fail and having 2 other users who are YouTube addicts in my house) since it's the special edition with the expansion which is like 32GB, I am about 25% into the download though, in January I will probably finish it off since I have bought a good 15GB worth of games this month.