Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'd rather buy the same PSU at 650 for more money than the same at 750 if it fits the build better.

If you are at or close to 50% in load, you will put long term stress on the PSU even though you will achieve less efficiency.
    The sweet spot for lasting is between 70-80%.
    That's why I recommend them.

Of the two you linked, I'd rather pay 150 for the x-560 than 135 for the ax750 for my current build.
    What is the basis for this 'sweetspot' of yours? 50% load is almost always more efficient than 70-80% in 80 Plus certified PSUs and more current = more wear and tear. Given that the current / power that is being utilized is the same regardless of PSU (other than differences in efficiency,) the 'stress' on the PSU is basically the same. Because higher-wattage PSUs of the same platform typically use more/bigger caps, transformers, coils, etc. the 'stress' on each component will be lower.

I made a few modifications to my setup today:

1. I got tired of my Air Penetrator intake fans noise and the fact they weren't PWM so ran at the same speed all the time, requiring resistor adapters to keep the noise down.
    To remedy this, I got a few Cougar Vortex fans (3x 140mm, 1x 120mm) and a Sunbeam Rheosmart fan controller that will take the PWM input from the motherboard and use that to control the voltage sent to the fans plugged into it.

(wire management looks kinda messy but that's about as good as I could do without getting unnecessarily anal about it, mounted it in the back of that bay so the 120mm fan will still fit in the front)

2. I finally jumped on the mechanical keyboard bandwagon. Got myself a Corsair K60, and I can't go back to rubber dome style keyboards for gaming again I will say I do kinda miss the backlighting from my G110 (which was starting to have problems with the "W" key not registering), but I wasn't gonna pay more for the K90 when that's the only extra feature I would have wanted and the different texture of the red WASD 1-6 keys help me find where they are just fine.

(oh yeah, I also wall-mounted my monitor for more desk space)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurgix View Post
    @Gottie4u amin to that brother but, as i can see you got a pretty nice gaming rig, why dont u invest some $ for a better case ( btw is that a thermaltake v9?).
    Antec 900, I've been thinking about a new case, but I really don't want to deal with dismantling and then re mantling it.
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5
    MB: ASUS LGA 1155 P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    PSU: Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt
    HDD: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM
    Monitor 1: LG 22inch LCD
    Monitor 2: 50 inch Sony Bravia LCD

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    I made a few modifications to my setup today:
    <SNIP>
    Holy crap Adappy! Good to hear from you man and I just looked up the fan controller.... I like it. >_> A lot. Your rig also looks nice as always. Post more often sir! ;p

---------- Post added 2012-02-14 at 06:38 AM ----------

Oh and the thing that bugs me about a lot of mechanical keyboards it seems is unlike my Logitech G15.... they don't have a switcher to turn off the Windows key altogether. >_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Holy crap Adappy! Good to hear from you man and I just looked up the fan controller.... I like it. >_> A lot. Your rig also looks nice as always. Post more often sir! ;p

---------- Post added 2012-02-14 at 06:38 AM ----------

Oh and the thing that bugs me about a lot of mechanical keyboards it seems is unlike my Logitech G15.... they don't have a switcher to turn off the Windows key altogether. >_<
    I never went away, I just lurk more than I post

...and the K60/K90 have a button that disables the Windows key next to the lights that indicate whether caps/scroll/num lock are on or not... only issue with it is it defaults to off (unlocked) every time you reboot/turn on the computer

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I stand corrected... however that's annoying that it reverts to default of of course OFF after every reboot..... -.-
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I stand corrected... however that's annoying that it reverts to default of of course OFF after every reboot..... -.-
    The BlackWidow has this... >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    The BlackWidow has this... >.>
    I do not support Razer and I will not buy their products, especially with how flimsy the BlackWidow looks, anyways. Plus it looks too gamer-esque.

Or were you meaning the BlackWidow has the same problem where it reverts to enabling the Windows key? Either way, I don't want Razer. My DeathAdder is the only Razer product I will likely ever own, as there are better mice I plan to upgrade to and since I'm becoming much less of a gamer I will be upgrading to a more professional keyboard.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-02-14 at 09:01 AM.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not support Razer and I will not buy their products, especially with how flimsy the BlackWidow looks, anyways. Plus it looks too gamer-esque.

Or were you meaning the BlackWidow has the same problem where it reverts to enabling the Windows key? Either way, I don't want Razer. My DeathAdder is the only Razer product I will likely ever own, as there are better mice I plan to upgrade to and since I'm becoming much less of a gamer I will be upgrading to a more professional keyboard.
    the black widow is not flimsy, you could fight a bear with it, but its not as good as other mechanical keyboards in bear fights
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-02-14 at 11:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand

If it's not a Das Ultimate unlabelled and set to Dvorak...

the black widow is not flimsy, you could fight a bear with it, but its not as good as other mechanical keyboards in bear fights
    That is the best analogy.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If it's not a Das Ultimate unlabelled and set to Dvorak...
    Thanks for confirming what it is called. I can't promise I'll learn Dvorak immediately.

---------- Post added 2012-02-14 at 11:57 AM ----------

Your $145 price-tag does not frighten me.
    "A flower.

This thread has a topic. Sticking to it is a wise course of action.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by Gottie4u View Post
    I fucking hate cable management.
    A better case and a modular PSU are your friends:

Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-14 at 02:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The actual PSU type scares me (I worry for your computer now) but that computer looks beautiful, noteworthy. ^.^
    "A flower.

Question. 4/6 DIMMs?
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Question. 4/6 DIMMs?
    At least he has 3 of them in the right spots to be tri-channel, too often I've seen all 4 in a block together, not doing triple channel at all. >_<
    "A flower.

At least he has 3 of them in the right spots to be tri-channel, too often I've seen all 4 in a block together, not doing triple channel at all. >_<
    It'd still break triple channel since he'd have one running in single. :P
    There are some exceptions to this rule, like older budget P55/H55 motherboards with three dimm-slots, or X58 with four still supporting full double/triple channel.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Whaaaat? That's dumb. -.-

Well I guess then it comes down to a choice between trichannel and less RAM or dual and more RAM! D:
    "A flower.

Heh, I knew someone would ask about that eventually.

My friend was building his little brother a computer around the same time I was doing all those upgrades to mine (which was when I took these pics).

He insisted that his little brother's old computer had DDR3 in it, so he didn't order any to save money. But, of course, when the parts got there and he got everything together and pulled the RAM out of the old computer, he couldn't get it to fit.

He called me, I went over, and realized that it was DDR2, so I went back to my apartment, pulled 4GB (the missing sticks) outta mine, and let his little brother borrow them until he got RAM for himself.

All 6 slots are filled now. =P