Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TriXaM View Post
    Some awesome looking setups here guys. I remember when mine looked shiney and new, but then the dust came, and made me sad Anyone know a way of reducing it apart from watercooling?!
    Put dust filters on all intake fans and make sure you have positive pressure (your fans push in more air than they push out). Clean the dust filters once every month or so, and every 6-12 months (depending on how dusty your place is) take the side-panel off and go to town with compressed air.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Well, the first thing the guy said when he entered the house was "I thought you were selling a computer, not a space ship". Guess he's never seen an (almost-)enthusiast PC before ^^
    And you didn't charge him extra for the "Special Features"?
    Or the Rocket Fuel?

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Put dust filters on all intake fans and make sure you have positive pressure (your fans push in more air than they push out). Clean the dust filters once every month or so, and every 6-12 months (depending on how dusty your place is) take the side-panel off and go to town with compressed air.
    Every month!?

I have to clean mine almost every week
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-04-13 at 07:37 PM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even have to clean my dust filters but once every few months. If you have to do it every week, you must either be a crazy cat lady or not vacuum very often.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-04-13 at 08:18 PM.

I am guilty of not having actually vacuumed here for, like, months. o_o On the other hand, my system has stayed clean. Note that it's been operational for less than two months since new years though, what with all my tinkering and parts replacing and stuff. xD

I'm currently waiting for komplett.no to actually finish the RMA, then refund me or send a new card. I really want to get this business over with and have my rig complete asap, but it's not gonna be anytime this month I suspect.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    How's the quality on the NZXT extensions? Is the heatshrink pretty uniform? Any show-through in the sleeving itself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Cyanotical, any reason you use compression fittings over "normal" fittings? I've been told they're easier to install, and I think they look cooler, but all of the "How To" videos from people (TTL for example) only show "normal" fitting installation.
    they are easier to get the hose on, but the main reason is they are a bit more secure then a normal barb fitting, the compression ring clamps the tubing at the barb's outer most part, instead of using a hose clamp behind, which can crimp the wall of the hose causing a leak

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    they are easier to get the hose on, but the main reason is they are a bit more secure then a normal barb fitting, the compression ring clamps the tubing at the barb's outer most part, instead of using a hose clamp behind, which can crimp the wall of the hose causing a leak
    On the other hand, compression fittings aren't excluded from the phenomena of leaks. Poor fittings will not fit the hose tight enough, and the compression ring may simply do fackall.

Shoddy fittings exist entirely regardless of which type you pick, and almost all your fittings will be sealed up better than--*censored*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    On the other hand, compression fittings aren't excluded from the phenomena of leaks. Poor fittings will not fit the hose tight enough, and the compression ring may simply do fackall.

Shoddy fittings exist entirely regardless of which type you pick, and almost all your fittings will be sealed up better than--*censored*
    the easy solution is to not buy crap fittings

Currently waiting for Ivy Bridge to come out and once it does I'm ordering it first day (a i5-3570k) and then I'll finally be able to finish my rig its the only piece I'm waiting on.

Going to be inside of a Thor-v2 White, Mobo is an Asrock z77 extreme6 , Ram is 16 GBs of Gskill Ripjawsx, Video card is a Nvidia GTX 680, PSU is a 750 OCZ Modxstream, Cpu cooler is a Corsair h100 Push pull config with 4 blue LED fans, 200mm white LED Side case fan, Front 200mm White LED case fan, All rosewill fans,

Top of the computer glows blue out the vents from the h100 fans side and front come out white then there are blue LEDs along the top of the case inside along with blue LEDS already on the front pannel next to the fan controlers. Rear fan will also be a 140mm Blue LED.

Going to have a Black Caviar 1 tb 6gbs hard drive with a 60 GB MSSD on the motherboard for Intel SRT

Will post pics after I have it all together but it is going to look pretty sexy.

Also will be my first build =O

So I went to a local pc store and added my new gpu

570 gtx msi oc for £200

Blast through everthing I through at it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    I don't even have to clean my dust filters but once every few months. If you have to do it every week, you must either be a crazy cat lady or not vacuum very often.
    No cats... and girlfriend and her daughter have this thing about vacuming... they seem to do it like every day

But yeah true... I don't vacume very often :P

Vacuum cleaners actually throw a lot of the dust they suck up back out into the room, so instead of the dust lying on a surface doing nothing it floats around and the air currents produced by the fans could suck that dust into the filters.

Starting to drift away from the topic again guys, if you wanna chat, use the Chat Thread, thanks!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    And you didn't charge him extra for the "Special Features"?
    Or the Rocket Fuel?

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 08:39 PM ----------

Every month!?

I have to clean mine almost every week
    That's why I have a variable PSI compressor in the garage, I unplug everything once every 3 months and clear the dust out of my case with 5 PSI of pressure, it's no worse then buying those overpriced air canisters and I don't worry about harming my computer parts either.

Alternatively, one could just buy a Fractal case and keep all the fan covers closed so you get less dust issues :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Building my HTPC soon It's going to be really slim so no extreme GPU horsepower due to a low-profile case but I'm going to splurge on CPU-power since I'll use it for more than just watching a video or two. It'll always run ftp/http (n mysql) server and I want to be able to playback any kind of video format (in software mode) on it as well as being able to play WoW and Vindictus and games at lighter settings on it. Also should serve as a x264 compressionist for recorded TV-shows.

Case: Silverstone Milo ML03
    CPU: Will be a 4-core ivy since that's what's going to be released soon. An i5.
    Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken II Rev B
    Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-M Pro
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz
    HDD: For now it'll be 2x WD Caviar Green 2TB since that's what I bought before the flood.
    TV-tuner: A Hauppage something DVB-C tuner. Already have it, need to find LP bracket.
    PSU: Corsair VX450W. Was my main PSU before SLI and saving some money by reusing it.
    Also an LG blu-ray drive (burner/reader), that I own already.

GPU will be Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 Low profile. It was basically the best I could get a hold on from the stores I was willing to shop from. 480 SP's at 800MHz will surely beat my laptop's 400SP (same arch..) at 450MHz so I think I'll be satisfied with the GPU performance since I like how the laptop performs with things. Won't be ultra settings but will look pretty enough until a good LP kepler or southern islands is released and available in stores.

All parts ordered from here and there, only need to wait until whatever day they decide to release ivy =o
    Last edited by Wries; 2012-04-15 at 05:48 PM.

Deleted
    That will be a sweet little gaming rig Wries, and to an extent a far cry from a power efficient HTPC. You could always use a raiser card and mod a bigger GPU in it for more horsepower. Will you be using local storage only? 4TB seem a bit excessive; I'd rather run a NAS myself in that case.

My plan was to get a Trinity APU and a mITX motherboard together with a picoPSU in a Streacom F1C case. I have sheleved the idea for now though.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-04-15 at 11:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Y it's not going to draw as little power as possible htpc-wise but I do aim for power efficiency for its performance. Was considering and leaning towards an apu from amd but didn't like that when eventually getting a better Gpu (than the 400sp in the apu) it would leave me with an "inferior' cpu compared to ivy. Though now i imagine the power thief will be the 6670.

Hdd-wise I thought I'd skip NAS since well the htpc will be some kind of NAS by itself. I might also dodge some network issues with high bitrate video (dnxhd, prores), though in theory gigabit-LAN should've been ok. Anyway I get one piece of furniture less by not having a NAS box.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Will be using this for the next 4-5 months:

AMD Phenom X4, unsure of model number.
    Radeon HD 4850 w/ broken fan where I need to touch the fan every 30 minuttes or so with a pen to make it work again
    750 non-modular Energon PSU
    Gigabyte motherboard, unsure of the model because back when I switched to my new I didn't have a clue about PC's.
    8GB Kingston HyperX Ram, 2/4 of them aren't on the picture.
    500GB WD Caviar Green
    128GB Intel 320 series SSD (Got it for free from PCGamer.com's competition)

May god have mercy on me, more info can be found at the chat thread.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Thread/page18
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-04-16 at 10:23 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

So, here's my little darling album with div pics on desktop and laptop. chassi etc aint nothing special worked nicely to pull cables away untill i added another gfx card and needed to get some power and i was lasy and wanted to test it out thinking about replacing stock cpu cooler to be able to get some nice numbers when i decide to OC.
    Album on imgur
    (dont bother asking about speccs on the laptop its a 2core PoS with 4gb ram and a PoS gfxcard )
    link to my desktop and laptop on imgur
    Speccs on desktop: MK Asus Sabertooth X58, 1x 1TB Western Digital RE4, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD Vertex3, CPU Core i7 950, 3,2GHz, Corsair 12GB DDR3
    2x GK PCIe GB GF GTX 580 3GB GDDR5 ( ) Corsair Obsidian 650D, PSU OCZ ZX-series 850W 80+ GOLD, 3x Samsung 22'' Screens
    And a 27" BenQ G2750