Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I agree. Expecting absolutely no plastic in a case is unreasonable...
    Well, InWin almost did it with the H-Frame! Apart from the feet (which could be easily replaced or removed), it's exactly that: no plastic at all.
    That's why I find this case so fascinating.

This is a 1 out of 1000 case, and then they marry it with a weird open air concept and "ruin" it by that.
    Obviously there are no customers for all aluminum cases, or else other manufacturers would offer such products. No market for $1000+ cases.

High quality all aluminum cases are standard in High End HiFi, they are non existant in the PC world.
    Like this Jeff Rowland power amplifier for example. Never ever seen similar "quality" in the PC world. You could say it's not necessary, but that's also true for HiFi, yet there they still exist, albeit the price point is in a different dimension.

Something like this for an ATX PC would be my "do it yourself" project, I'm willing to spend a few thousand $ for it.

Last edited by Sarevoc; 2012-11-26 at 07:33 PM.

Did you say that was for an amp? I kind of want to use that as a case....I could use it to work my way into case modding, it looks like it would work so well.
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Chances are what your seeing as all metal is a rack mounted unit. Said unit will have multiple insulators between them, be it washers or plastic spray coating on the mount. It wouldnt be keen to sit all that electronics especially in a HIFI setup without any type of external grounding. Everything in a hifi system of high quality will be grounded shielded and basically water tight. Why? because interference cause's sound to degrade, the more open and able to accept interference the worse off the hifi system is. Im sure a high quality shell like that would be used, however probably an insane amount of plastic in and around it. Reason why amps weigh 4x more than they appear too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaV View Post
    Did you say that was for an amp? I kind of want to use that as a case....I could use it to work my way into case modding, it looks like it would work so well.
    i imagine thats fairly small, something like that made to the size of an ATX case would weigh 150+ lbs

Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX
    Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 4 GHZ
    GPU AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB x 2 (Crossfire)
    PSU Thermaltake Black Widow 850Watt
    RAM 16GB(4x4GB) GSkill Ripjaw Series
    HDD 1TB Western Digital Black
    SSD 128GB OCZ Vertex 3
    Resolution 3x 1680x1050 22" Montiors (5040x1050 Total Actual Res)

10+ Year Old Account

Sorry about the picture quality. This is my current build. I just upgraded to a i7 3770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum, and the MSI Z77 MPower mobo. Also have the H100. And yes I realize it looks like I have 2 different gfx cards. They're both PNY 560 Ti's. One is an OC'd version and the other isn't so they both run at the same speed when SLI'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i imagine thats fairly small, something like that made to the size of an ATX case would weigh 150+ lbs
    Thats a good estimate, I'd say being a little forgiving tho. At the size of like a 912 it'd be 150Lbs put it up to 932 size o.O holy crap maybe closer to 300, and thats by itself. PSU+all goodies >.> jesus It'd cost an arm and a leg so you'd have to fill it from top to bottom to be respectable. 500 Lbs wall safe is your PC, takes 2 guys to open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevoc View Post
    You have to be as crazy and as paranoid about plastic as I am to see it. But it's not expected from a $99 case to be all aluminum anyway.

- power and reset button (though not sure here)
    - the inside of the clamper for the 5.25" drive
    - holes for watercooling tubes (yes those can be made out of metal without having them cut through your tubes)
    - the machanism that holds the whole case front
    - small top cover of the case front
    - grid that holds the dust filter
    - parts of the HDD cages
    - case feet all rubber (of course the bottom part or layer must be rubber, but not the whole thing)
    - ...and a few other things

But there's no point to argue about this, 99% aluminum is fine for 99% of buyers. Any discussion leads to nowhere, as almost nobody is gonna accept if someone criticizes a few minor plastic parts. Of course it's fine to use plastic if it is the technologically superior material, I just don't like it if they use it due to cost savings, and in most cases that is the reason.
    Just went over my case (Lian Li). Aside from the HDD cages release button there is no plastic anywhere in the case. The cages can be removed also. The power button is aluminum the screws etc. It is sat on metal rolling wheels either aluminum or steel. It has rubber inserts for the holes the wires pass through, but once again these are removable and are on aluminum. IIRC the case retailed without wheels and windowed side panel for around $400.00 and this was maybe in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevoc View Post
    You have to be as crazy and as paranoid about plastic as I am to see it. But it's not expected from a $99 case to be all aluminum anyway.

- power and reset button (though not sure here)
    - the inside of the clamper for the 5.25" drive
    - holes for watercooling tubes (yes those can be made out of metal without having them cut through your tubes)
    - the machanism that holds the whole case front
    - small top cover of the case front
    - grid that holds the dust filter
    - parts of the HDD cages
    - case feet all rubber (of course the bottom part or layer must be rubber, but not the whole thing)
    - ...and a few other things

But there's no point to argue about this, 99% aluminum is fine for 99% of buyers. Any discussion leads to nowhere, as almost nobody is gonna accept if someone criticizes a few minor plastic parts. Of course it's fine to use plastic if it is the technologically superior material, I just don't like it if they use it due to cost savings, and in most cases that is the reason.
    Few things here, I'll start @ water cooling holes...so how would you go about making a hole out of metal? It wouldn't be a hole would it? Are you seriously griping over people using obviously superior materials for multiple reasons? Metal is not a good grommet, this is why its always something like rubber or plastic, also those are insulators not conductors.

I haven't seen a full plastic HDD cage ever, Ive seen platic used on the quick release features, this is for several reasons but cost efficiency would be the first. Literally everything you mentioned is either a spray coated metal that may seem like plastic or a situation where a non conductor or softer material is ideal to use. Not even old school hot rods were full metal...you just can't do that and at this point why waste the metal? Personally a Carbon fiber case would be awesome, it would probably cost $500-$1000 but it would be more durable and a fraction of the weight.

Metal feet, maybe metal risers for the feet again having a smooth metal as the surface of a traction point would be abysmal. I understand the concept of not wanting some cheap plastic piece of junk that goes without saying, but plastics rubbers and other synthetic materials are better than metal in some cases, no pun intended. It seriously sounds like you want a lightning rod next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Aw...that's depressing...I looked at it and could instantly see the layout...
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaV View Post
    Aw...that's depressing...I looked at it and could instantly see the layout...
    Im thinking you could easily make a case out of other materials then chrome it. While it is not 100% metal it would look the part, and unless you went to a bad chromeshop noone would be any the wiser.

Finally got around to ordering all of my parts and received them last night. Threw everything together and fired it up, looks good so far. I still have to do some cable management as well as figure out why my HDD is having a hard time fitting into the removable trays (Anyone have any ideas?). Once I do that, I'll definitely take some pictures and post them. Until then, here are the specs.

Case: Corsair 650D
    MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
    HDD: Seagate Spinpoint F3 500GB
    PSU: Corsair HX650 650W

Monitor: SAMSUNG B350 23.6"
    Speakers: Logitech Z506
    Mouse: SteelSeries Diablo III Mouse
    Keyboard: Logitech G110

Deleted
    Added some stuff to my setup:

10+ Year Old Account
    Great stuff Marest, bought the Qpad MK80 & Mionix Sargas myself at Dreamhack, pictures will come once I've moved back to Greenland.

i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

So here's a small view into how the pump and res connect.

Takstar Hi 2050? Cool. I bought a pair, but seller cancelled the transaction. Sadface. Tell me your opinions in a long detailed PM. Bribe me with pictures of cake.

The Vertex 4 that my girlfriend bought me for Christmas arrived, so naturally I installed it a month premature!

Hey brother, excuse me, can you take a picture above that ring?, because i wish to see if the cooler touch the videocard , if they are very close but dont touch it . many thank man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Hey brother, excuse me, can you take a picture above that ring?, because i wish to see if the cooler touch the videocard , if they are very close but dont touch it . many thank man.
    He got a link to the build in his sig!

Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninthward View Post
    He got a link to the build in his sig!
    Indeed I do. And indeed it does.