The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any particular reason you chose the FX-6100?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Any reason not to? It's a competent CPU, and an overclockable one in a low price point.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=203

If the FX-6300 (better than FX-6100 of course) still has trouble competing against the Phenom II X6 1100T, I just have trouble seeing the point/benefit. =/

I suppose if the X6 1100T was $50+ more, then okay, but even the x4 965 isn't far off...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=102

Just feel like AMD really dropped the ball and I don't see why anyone should buy these, though it bugs me Intel doesn't unlock the i3's.
    "A flower.

The only tangible benefit it has against the Phenom IIs is its higher overclocking headroom. And it's much cheaper than the 3570k, so people without unlimited funs may find the absolute lack of notable decrease in FPS across most titles worth spending $100 less.
    Last edited by Berserker Cronus; 2012-12-27 at 01:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    The only tangible benefit it has against the Phenom IIs is its higher overclocking headroom. And it's much cheaper than the 3570k, so people without unlimited funs may find the absolute lack of notable decrease in FPS across most titles worth spending $100 less.
    Perhaps, but let's look at a few more facts about his build, shall we? :P

Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
    OCZ 180GB Agility 3
    2T Seagate HDD
    32 inch VIzio HD TV 1920X1080 Resolution(Main)
    I-INC iH252 25 inch (Secondary)
    Razer DeathStalker Keyboard
    Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset
    Razer Goliathus Alpha L-Speed (Fragged) mouse pad
    All of these parts, are either overpriced or likely overkill for him.

He probably could get away with 8GB of RAM. Thus there's about $40 saved, let's say.
    180GB SSD? Why not just a 120-128GB? That's a $50 difference on Newegg, for the Agility 3 series. Quite a chunk more!
    2TB HDD? Could probably get away with a 1TB. $20-30 saved.
    That 32" TV is kinda pointless, and most on this forum would suggest a monitor above it. On Wal-Mart.com, it comes up for $400! You could get a nice IPS display for that, or 3 1920x1080 22" monitors with cash to spare. O_o So let's say $250 saved there.
    The 25" seems old and I can't find it even on Amazon, but it likely cost $150-200. See above.
    Razer makes plastic toys, only the Death Adder is really a good product, from what I've seen.

The FX-6100 sells for $120 on Newegg.com
    The i5-3570K sells for $220.

I think we can all see where he would *easily* be able to move $100 towards an insanely stronger CPU.
    "A flower.

I'm sure he could, but I was speaking generally.

Some people still absolutely refuse to move towards Intel regardless of their budget for whatever reason. I guess it's brand loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Perhaps, but let's look at a few more facts about his build, shall we? :P

All of these parts, are either overpriced or likely overkill for him.

He probably could get away with 8GB of RAM. Thus there's about $40 saved, let's say.
    180GB SSD? Why not just a 120-128GB? That's a $50 difference on Newegg, for the Agility 3 series. Quite a chunk more!
    2TB HDD? Could probably get away with a 1TB. $20-30 saved.
    That 32" TV is kinda pointless, and most on this forum would suggest a monitor above it. On Wal-Mart.com, it comes up for $400! You could get a nice IPS display for that, or 3 1920x1080 22" monitors with cash to spare. O_o So let's say $250 saved there.
    The 25" seems old and I can't find it even on Amazon, but it likely cost $150-200. See above.
    Razer makes plastic toys, only the Death Adder is really a good product, from what I've seen.

The FX-6100 sells for $120 on Newegg.com
    The i5-3570K sells for $220.

I think we can all see where he would *easily* be able to move $100 towards an insanely stronger CPU.
    The whole point of building a computer is to build it how you want it, and not deal with the likes and limits of Dell, Gateway, etc. He obviously chose his components in his build for a reason that suits him. Half of your arguments are capacity-related (RAM, SSD, HDD), but you have no idea what his needs are. A wash there. The rest about monitor size is purely your own preference. There is 0 reason for anyone to judge his selection other than himself. I guess I better hide the fact I game on a 47" LCD, or else I'll be frowned upon as well.

However, I understand where you are trying to go, and agree 110% that 3570k just can't be matched price-per-performance ratio. However, for a while, the FX-6100 was the best at it's particular price point. It is possible his items were salvaged from a previous build.
    Last edited by Lillax; 2012-12-27 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We get a ton of users here who pick parts not suited for their needs. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it's entirely possible.

A good example being when someone buys an i7-2600k/2700k/3770k for a gaming rig - especially awesome when the rig is going to be used mainly for WoW.

If we want to continue the conversation though, I suggest moving to the chat thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Thread/page135
    "A flower.

I already had the TV and the other monitor. Both worked fine so why replace them. The processor I got on sale on Amazon for $104, the ram was around $77. The keyboard and the headset I got for christmas so thats no money out of my pocket. The SSD was $147 on Amazon. Used a $50 amazon gift card I got as an early christmas present so I paid less than $100 out of my pocket. As for the 2T hhd, I use one partition for backup, one for movies, one for programs and ones just a catch all. I might upgrade to an Intel processor later on down the road but didn't have the money for the one I wanted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    I already had the TV and the other monitor. Both worked fine so why replace them. The processor I got on sale on Amazon for $104, the ram was around $77. The keyboard and the headset I got for christmas so thats no money out of my pocket. The SSD was $147 on Amazon. Used a $50 amazon gift card I got as an early christmas present so I paid less than $100 out of my pocket. As for the 2T hhd, I use one partition for backup, one for movies, one for programs and ones just a catch all. I might upgrade to an Intel processor later on down the road but didn't have the money for the one I wanted.
    And this proves none of us were really right. :P

I suggest any further discussion be had in the computer forum chat thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Thread/page135
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current gaming setup:

• AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz (overclocked to 3.7 Ghz)
    • 8GB OCZ 1666 Mhz dual-channel DDR3 RAM
    • 2 x 1tb Western Digital HDD
    • 2 x Hp L2151ws
    • AMD Radeon HD 6970 Sapphire
    • Asus M4A79T Deluxe/U3S6
    • Thermaltake ISGC-300 CPU Cooler

Gaming setup I am buying soon (when I have the money)
    • Core i7-3770K 3.9Ghz
    • 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz dual-channel DDR3 RAM
    • 1 x OCZ Agility 3 Series Solid State Disk 64GB 2 x 1tb Western Digital HDD
    • 2 x Hp L2151ws
    • Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD3H-B3
    • Corsair Hydro Series H40 High performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers and Headset.
    • Logitech G510 Keyboard
    • Razer naga molten
    • Typhoon USB Speaker
    • Sigma Tactic Headset.

What I use my computer for:
    • Teamspeak Server
    • 2 x FTP Servers
    • Personal Homepage
    • World of Warcraft
    • Guild Wars 2
    • Eve Online
    • World of Tanks
    • Rendering and creation of videos.
    • Photoshop
    • Excell (Random)
    • Streaming
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2012-12-27 at 05:11 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    • Core i7-3770K 3.9Ghz
    • 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz dual-channel DDR3 RAM
    • 1 x OCZ Agility 3 Series Solid State Disk 64GB 2 x 1tb Western Digital HDD
    • 2 x Hp L2151ws
    • Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD3H-B3
    • Corsair Hydro Series H40 High performance Liquid CPU Cooler

• Razer naga molten
    Everything in bold is either outdated or just OVERKILL by a longshot for being a "gaming" setup.

I'm hoping that based on the i7 and 32GB of RAM, you'll be doing something more than gaming, streaming, and Frapsing and rendering videos...
    Agility 3 is an old series, go for Agility 4, much less Vector, or Samsung/Crucial/Corsair (better reliability).
    6970 is outdated. Go for a 7970 or 670.
    Z68 is outdated. Go for Z77.
    H40 seems obnoxiously low-end for an i7-3770K. Why not go for a real cooler? Might as well use the stock heatsink.
    Razer Nagas have an obnoxious tendency to break. Get a mouse from Logitech, Roccat, Mionix, or Corsair. (It seems like the only mice Razer seems to be able to make well, in fact the only product they can really make well - are the Death Adders.)
    "A flower.

Core i7-3770K 3.9Ghz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz dual-channel DDR3 RAM
    1 x OCZ Agility 3 Series Solid State Disk 64GB 2 x 1tb Western Digital HDD
    2 x Hp L2151ws
    AMD Radeon HD 6970 Sapphire
    Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD3H-B3
    Corsair Hydro Series H40 High performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Will the motherboard support the CPU out of the box? Most Z68 motherboards need a new BIOS flashing before they'll recognise an Ivy Bridge CPU.
    If you aren't rendering video 10 hours a day you can save 100 bucks on the CPU and get an i5 3570K instead.
    If you aren't loading stuff into a RAMDisk or running virtual machines you can save 100 bucks and drop down to 16GB RAM
    You can get a better graphics card for the money than a 6970
    Use some of the money saved above to get a bigger SSD, a Samsung 830/840 128GB, Crucial M4 128GB or even a 256GB SSD, something like that.
    Don't bother with the H40 cooler, get something better instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a warnign before i respond back to this. I am not from USA so my choices in buying modules is severly limited. Also sorry for spelling mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Everything in bold is either outdated or just OVERKILL by a longshot for being a "gaming" setup.

I'm hoping that based on the i7 and 32GB of RAM, you'll be doing something more than gaming, streaming, and Frapsing and rendering videos...
    Agility 3 is an old series, go for Agility 4, much less Vector, or Samsung/Crucial/Corsair (better reliability).
    6970 is outdated. Go for a 7970 or 670.
    Z68 is outdated. Go for Z77.
    H40 seems obnoxiously low-end for an i7-3770K. Why not go for a real cooler? Might as well use the stock heatsink.
    Razer Nagas have an obnoxious tendency to break. Get a mouse from Logitech, Roccat, Mionix, or Corsair. (It seems like the only mice Razer seems to be able to make well, in fact the only product they can really make well - are the Death Adders.)
    -The CPU Seems to be the better choice since I will be streaming and rendering movies more or less at the same time (have a side job where I make movies for schools)
    -Thanks for the hint on the Z77 i defiently will check it out.
    -Heard that the H40 should be more than enough but if not ill defiently check into it thanks.
    -The Razor Naga i had i got for free in a method competition. is alot better than the old Roccat mouse i had which broke down within 2 weeks of getting it.
    Also it fits my hand quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Will the motherboard support the CPU out of the box? Most Z68 motherboards need a new BIOS flashing before they'll recognise an Ivy Bridge CPU.
    If you aren't rendering video 10 hours a day you can save 100 bucks on the CPU and get an i5 3570K instead.
    If you aren't loading stuff into a RAMDisk or running virtual machines you can save 100 bucks and drop down to 16GB RAM
    You can get a better graphics card for the money than a 6970
    Use some of the money saved above to get a bigger SSD, a Samsung 830/840 128GB, Crucial M4 128GB or even a 256GB SSD, something like that.
    Don't bother with the H40 cooler, get something better instead.
    -Due to running servers as well I kinda need the extra ram right now my 8GB is no where enough. Also im saving a shit ton of money by getting 32GB isntead of 16GB.
    -Look above. Ill be using the fullest of the cpu 24/7 and since running severel servers my pc will be on 24/7 I need a far more powerful cpu to handle the load I ahve right now.
    -Im not buying the 6970 ill take the 6970 from my old setup and put it into my new one. Graphics cards here is freaking expensive. The 6970 cost 500 us dollers alone.
    -Might be able to extend my budget to get a 128GB agility 4 instead
    -Seems its the general understanding that H40 here is no good thanks for the hints and ill go find a another one. A tip on which one is good enough?
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

chaosjones: This thread is not for quick questions/answers. Please make a new thread for that.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    chaosjones: This thread is not for quick questions/answers. Please make a new thread for that.
    You've got to be kidding me. Don't take this the wrong way, but I seem to notice that you, a lot of the times, tell people, who don't visit the computer forum often, to make new threads when they ask/talk about something, but when your good ol' buddies discuss some random picture for 2 pages, you never seem to intervene.
    In this case chaosjones got feedback on his build by the long-time posters and just argumented against something or accepted the feedback.

I find it very unfair and in some cases poor moderation.

And yes I realize this is off-topic and I should prolly write a pm, but I still think it has a little relevance.
    Last edited by Shakatoss; 2012-12-27 at 06:33 PM.
    Rig:
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS GTX670 2GB DirectCU II | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    750W Corsair TX V2 | 1 TB WD Caviar Black | 120GB Corsair Force Series 3 | Cooler Master Storm Stryker

Quote Originally Posted by Shakatoss View Post
    You've got to be kidding me. Don't take this the wrong way, but I seem to notice that you, a lot of the times, tell people, who don't visit the computer forum often, to make new threads when they ask/talk about something
    I tell them to make a new thread because this thread is not for questions/answers, as detailed in the thread-specific rules in the first post. This thread is quite susceptible to off-topic chatting, and help requests are one of the biggest culprits. In addition, people are more likely to get help if they create a standalone thread, it is easy to be overlooked in a thread approaching 10,000 posts.

but when your good ol' buddies discuss some random picture for 2 pages, you never seem to intervene.
    I'm not sure who you're referring to as my "good ol' buddies", but whenever I notice the discussion going off-topic I try to intervene, assuming another mod hasn't done so already... Here are just a few of such interventions:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16400871
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...8#post16416898
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...7#post16640177
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...0#post18596360
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...3#post19193163

In this case chaosjones got feedback on his build by the long-time posters and just argumented against something or accepted the feedback.
    He got feedback on a prospective build, not on his current build. We have an entire subforum dedicated to prospective build help/feedback, this thread is not the place to do it.

I find it very unfair and in some cases poor moderation.

And yes I realize this is off-topic and I should prolly write a pm, but I still think it has a little relevance.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but as always, discussing moderation in the public is against the forum rules. Please PM Sunshine if you have an issue with a moderator/a moderator's actions.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-12-27 at 06:51 PM.

I know the rules, but just felt a need to speak :P.

But alright alright, I take back my complaint/comment, as you argumented very well... Guess I'm just not observative enough. Sorry for any inconvenience caused, feel free to delete my post and anything related to it.
    Rig:
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS GTX670 2GB DirectCU II | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    750W Corsair TX V2 | 1 TB WD Caviar Black | 120GB Corsair Force Series 3 | Cooler Master Storm Stryker

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Less talk moar pictures!
    I used to love going to the beach during summer, until Greenpeace started trying to push me back in the water.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got myself a new keyboard today. My old crappy cheap Dell one was breaking down so I decided to get a new one. I hate mechanical keyboards and prefer the flat keys that don't get so much crap in them so I got a Logitech K800 since it was on sale, pretty good keyboard with nice quite soft keys that are backlit too.