just helped my buddy build his new computer after his apartment flooded and insurance gave him a nice big fat check

case - cosmos 2
    cpu - 3930k
    mobo - asus p9x79-pro
    cpu cooler - noctua d14
    psu - seasonic 1050w gold
    gpu - 2x evga 670 4gb sli
    ram - 32g 1866 gskill sniper
    ssd - 2x intel 520 cherryville 240gb in raid 0
    sound card - asus xonar phoebus
    windows - ultimate 64bit

disclaimer i did not do the cable management he did that him self =p i helped him find the parts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flcrewpolo View Post
    just helped my buddy build his new computer after his apartment flooded and insurance gave him a nice big fat check

case - cosmos 2
    cpu - 3930k
    mobo - asus p9x79-pro
    cpu cooler - noctua d14
    psu - seasonic 1050w gold
    gpu - 2x evga 670 4gb sli
    ram - 32g 1866 gskill sniper
    ssd - 2x intel 520 cherryville 240gb in raid 0
    sound card - asus xonar phoebus
    windows - ultimate 64bit

disclaimer i did not do the cable management he did that him self =p i helped him find the parts
    That's a really nice (and expensive) system, I hope he has some really nice monitor(s) to go with it (1440p or 120Hz etc.)! Congrats (to him) either way.

3x 120hz monitors not 100% on what model

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    2xGTX 670?

Why not just a GTX 690...?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    2xGTX 670?

Why not just a GTX 690...?
    im thinking due to crazy nvidia surround resolution he preffered higher Vram option whilst still having camp green? (also any chance for bf3 and heaven benchmarks? quite curious to SLI scaling of those specific cards)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    im thinking due to crazy nvidia surround resolution he preffered higher Vram option whilst still having camp green? (also any chance for bf3 and heaven benchmarks? quite curious to SLI scaling of those specific cards)
    I'm wondering why not 2x GTX680 4GB DCII. It is a dual slot card, because Asus finally caught on that triple-slot cards were a stupid idea.

But even with two of those he wouldn't have enough horsepower to average 100+ fps @ 5760x1080 while trying to keep decent settings, would have to drop things down to Medium in games like BF3/Crysis 2.

All I can say is that 3 x 120hz monitors = I'm fucking jelly. Haven't seeing anything like that in this thread yet.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-31 at 08:35 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

To be fair, 3x120hz monitors sounds mostly just flat out silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also one to agree that 3x120Hz is just obnoxious and I doubt his computer will be able to manage it in any truly intensive games.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'm also one to agree that 3x120Hz is just obnoxious and I doubt his computer will be able to manage it in any truly intensive games.
    The 3 screens are more for his work the only game he uses 3 on is black ops 2 with widescreen fixer

While trying not to get off subject to much the 2 670s were chosen because he has had issues with dual gpu cards in the past

I'll try to get a heaven bench mark today from him

We also had a very specific budget to work with

His insurance gave him half the claim amount and would only give him the rest after he spent the full claim amount and showed receipts for the full amount. Now he doesn't have a ton of money to throw around so we balance the build around th cpu

A after cpu he wanted the case so we built the best we could on what was left of budget with 2x 670 being best option

He also already had the monitors keyboard headset as they were not part of claim
    Last edited by Flcrewpolo; 2012-12-31 at 02:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Errrr... what work does he need 120Hz screens for? >_> I'd have perhaps just done 1x120Hz and 2xIPS or something. O_o

And ah, already had the monitors.

Good lord.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I'm wondering why not 2x GTX680 4GB DCII
    Placebo.
    You might end up losing performance, but you won't gain anything from 2GiB.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Placebo.
    You might end up losing performance, but you won't gain anything from 2GiB.
    We did put 2 evga 4gb cards not the 2GB

Isn't the problem that the cards only have 256bit memory buses, and thus wouldn't be able to process stuff fast enough for the 4GB RAM to have any effect (or something like that)?

Don't forget about the http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...um-Chat-Thread

10+ Year Old Account
    My setup's in my sig. Feeling inferior LOL.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    So this is nothing special compared to alot of systems here but this is the first setup I could build by myself after a long time with a prebuilt I upgraded for a few year.
    The setup is the following:
    CPU : I3 3220 3.3GHZ
    Motherboard : Asrock H61 DGS
    GOU : Asus HD 7770 GHZ edition overclocked 1200 mhz core, 1350 mhz memory.
    HDD 1 :Samsung Spinpoint f3 500GB
    HDD 2 : Hitachi (random model) 160GB(for small fraps recording)
    Memory : 8GB Corsair memory 1333Mhz
    Case : Nox Coolbay SX
    5 x 120 mm fans

Last edited by Rafax; 2012-12-31 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No system specs, Mortalis?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    speccs?
    awesome color theme looks real slick.

* User was infracted: Remove image tags from quotes.

edit: aah crap i shouldn't have started the beers already QQ (one suddenly forgets the most simple of rules)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-12-31 at 07:26 PM.

Very neat system, though I wish you could've done something about the bottom rad - res tube. While real straight, just doesn't look good to me.

Deleted
    Here's my current setup for the past 9 months (ish). Some changes were made since my last post (a 2nd 2TB RAID array was added).

CPU: 2700K @ 4.5Ghz (Watercooled with the Corsair H80)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
    Memory: 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600Mhz
    GPU: 2 x GeForce GTX 680
    Displays: 3x BenQ XL2420T @ 120Hz
    PSU: Corsair AX-1200
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI-E
    Storage(1): SSD: Kingston Hyper-X 240GB.
    Storage(2): Intel ICH10R: RAID0: 2x Western Digital Black Edition 2TB.
    Storage(3): Intel ICH10R: RAID0: 2x Western Digital Black Edition 1TB.
    Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
    Desk: IKEA Large Galant (Black Glass)

Some pictures!

Battlefield 3

General Desktop and WoW (it's the only game I run in a Window, for convenience)

Under-Desk cabling - DVI-D, multiple USB extensions, Power Cables, Audio & various others

Enclosed System

With the side cover removed

Corsair H80

GeForce GTX 680 SLI

Some other notes:

- The system is heavily dust filtered. I have dust filters covering all fan intakes, with a dual layer super-fine filter covering the high CFM CPU heat exchanger fans. In addition to that, I perform a weekly vacuum on all dust filters and an internal clean using a DataVac Electric Duster.

- It's barely powerful enough for my requirements. 2x680 just doesn't cut it with the latest games such as Far Cry 3 in anything above Medium. Ideally I need 2 x 690, although I'm just waiting now for the 700 series.

- It's running a meticulously clean and efficient copy of Windows 8 (i.e. absolutely no unnecessary services or anything that might use the CPU above absolute minimums).

- I can't stand any game running < 60fps (it's just a painful experience on the eyes and a miserable experience in-game). Ideally I have games running at 120fps V-Sync, but that's just not feasible without additional GPUs (again, waiting for next generation hardware).

- All-in-all not as expensive as you might think. If you're a computer enthusiast, this really isn't anything special at all.

- Everything runs as a single desktop @ 5760x1080 (SLI/Surround). Some games I run Bezel-corrected @ 6080x1080.

That's about all.. Hope this was useful and might inspire some people to go multi-monitor gaming! It's an awesome experience and once you go you'll never look back. I practically cry when I see a game running on a single screen now

Z
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2012-12-31 at 08:46 PM.