I don't care what anyone says, I love my gaming laptop. I'm using it at a friend's house, and can stream anywhere I want... (Provided their interwebs are decent).

But as for at-home stats:

Intel Core i7 3630QM Quad
    DDR3 12GB
    GeForce GTX 670
    1980 x 1080 60hz Monitor, which cost a lot more than the smaller version of it ;'[

Around 25-30mpbs DL, 10 upload (I can edit the link in when I'm home).
    The upload is amazing for streaming though.

I just don't get why people really hate laptops. I plan on getting a full desktop rig as well when I have the money, but that's obviously only due to heat issues with the laptop. Portable gamezz iLove.

http://www.bubblews.com/assets/image...1374149592.jpg

Then again, I guess portability is a little bit inconvenient when a notebook weights over 9 pounds. ;p
    Last edited by Stuneree; 2013-08-18 at 08:47 AM.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post
    I just don't get why people really hate laptops. I plan on getting a full desktop rig as well when I have the money, but that's obviously only due to heat issues with the laptop. Portable gamezz iLove.
    The hate for laptops is mostly gone as the mobile market has ROCKETED in recent years and portability has become more important than ever. Nowadays if you say "I need a laptop for portability" I highly doubt you're going to get idiots going "booo laptop sux desktop is BETTAR".
    E.g. for someone who hops between different houses a lot or needs to go on vacation but still wants to play PC games, a laptop is perfect because they don't have to lug-around a freaking case + monitor + keyboard + mouse + cables + etc every time, that's just not possible.

Asus gaming laptops are great in general, decent power/stability albeit their 17" models can get really bulky (as you say)...but the point is you can still chuck it in a bag and carry it around, and it will run most games on decent settings
    Yeah sure you will always be able to build a vastly more powerful PC for the price of a gaming laptop, but what the hell, that's just the cost of an all-in-one portable system :P

Also I think your GPU is a GTX670M, not GTX 670, there is a pretty huge difference :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-18 at 09:08 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Yeah sure you will always be able to build a vastly more powerful PC for the price of a gaming laptop, but what the hell, that's just the cost of an all-in-one portable system :P
    the reality is that price vs performance is really only a sales term, and the more people realize it the less they complain, in truth it's cost vs value, is the value of something to you worth the cost?, once you realise that, the price vs performance argument just seems like childish rhetoric

for me it's worth it to spend more on something that is a better product

The hate for laptops is mostly gone as the mobile market has ROCKETED in recent years and portability has become more important than ever. Nowadays if you say "I need a laptop for portability" I highly doubt you're going to get idiots going "booo laptop sux desktop is BETTAR".
    E.g. for someone who hops between different houses a lot or needs to go on vacation but still wants to play PC games, a laptop is perfect because they don't have to lug-around a freaking case + monitor + keyboard + mouse + cables + etc every time, that's just not possible.

Asus gaming laptops are great in general, decent power/stability albeit their 17" models can get really bulky (as you say)...but the point is you can still chuck it in a bag and carry it around, and it will run most games on decent settings

Also I think your GPU is a GTX670M, not GTX 670, there is a pretty huge difference :P
    You'd actually be incredibly surprised at some of the hate I receive for some reason haha. Even on stream when people ask for my comp specs, some people seem literally OFFENDED that I DARE use a laptop for gaming, (even if I do basically use it as a desktop).

And as for the graphics card, I deffs knew that just forgot that the 670 isn't laptop haha. I've got the GTX 670MX.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Deleted
    actually, the biggest hate i have with laptops, and this is someone coming who had a laptop to begin with to game on, is how repairable they are, if something goes wrong, its hell to fix, the easiest ones to sort is HDD and ram. If one of the other parts fail, you can pretty much have a bricked laptop or send it in for repair which can take a while to do and left with what exactly?

Also the portability only comes in for LAN parties, and ive tried to game on a train or coach, ye it doesnt work, that element is bull crap if anyone claims it can be done well in such environment.
    and as a result, just produces more cons for laptop gaming

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Also the portability only comes in for LAN parties, and ive tried to game on a train or coach, ye it doesnt work, that element is bull crap if anyone claims it can be done well in such environment.
    ...you really can't see any scenario other than LAN parties where a laptop's portability can come in handy? I know people who have their entire lifestyles revolving around carrying laptops, desktops are virtually irrelevant to them.

In the latest Steam survey, by far the two most common resolutions are 1920x1080 (31%) and 1366x768 (21%). The latter resolution virtually doesn't exist on standalone monitors, 99% of the people who voted for that resolution are laptop gamers.
    Blizzard designs pretty much all their games to be incredibly laptop-friendly (or low-budget friendly :P) due to catering to such a colossal audience, a TON people who play WoW/Diablo/Starcraft do so on laptops.

Hell I knew students back in university who would game on their laptop during breaks (or during particularly boring lectures :P) and then game on it some more at home because the laptop fulfilled all their work/gaming needs. They can just drop it anywhere, plug it in to power, plug in a handy mouse and work/play.

LAN parties only, pffffft.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-18 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    if its not taken around (portability) desktop is the better choice for gaming, work is another matter, working with excel spread sheets and calculations isnt hard to do on a train, but gaming isnt, this is experience, as these forums are mainly gaming, was only covering this aspect.
    also i stand by what i said at the first part of my post, as this also comes from experience, its an expensive risk to take if you buy a laptop that can run games well hardware wise.

and i was a student at university as well so i know the drill :P, the only time you would need a a powerful laptop for uni imo is to run simulations such as air flow over an aerofoil if there isnt enough computers around, 16 xeon, 16 gb machines werent enough to go around :P

10+ Year Old Account
    if its not taken around (portability) desktop is the better choice for gaming
    I don't think I ever refuted that fact -_-

Deleted
    CPU: i7 4770k
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance (16 GB)
    HDD: Samsung 840 Pro, WD Black 1 TB
    PSU: Corsair HX 850
    MB: Asus Z87-Pro
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX Titan

Case: NZXT Phantom
    Keyboard: Logitech G710+
    Mouse: Logitech G600
    Monitor: Alienware AW2210

Pics:
    http://i.imgur.com/DVuj3LH.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/wuKo8ds.png
    http://i.imgur.com/KkQ1t3H.png

Sorry for the mess on the first picture. I've improved/cleaned up the cable management later, but haven't taken another picture. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Hehe cable management doesn't matter too much when it's in that beautiful white Phantom (and isn't obstructing airflow) :P nice clean desk area btw. I can't seem to keep mine clean for more than a week before stuff like screwdrivers/tools, random drives, SATA/fan cables and other shit just magically *appears* there somehow

I got a genuinely curious question, any reason you went for Titan when you have a 1080p 60hz monitor? It's just...well...bwuh?
    Just making super-sure that minimum framerates never drop below 60fps at the absolute highest settings in all possible games? Or aiming to HUGELY upgrade that monitor sometime in the future to a 1440p IPS, 120hz/144hz or tri-screen setup? That's kinda what 780 & Titan are aimed at.

Deleted
    I can't seem to keep mine clean for more than a week before stuff like screwdrivers/tools, random drives, SATA/fan cables and other shit just magically *appears* there somehow
    Hehe, yeah, I know that "problem". However, I try to keep it as tidy as possible - I don't like it when there is roo much stuff lying around.

I got a genuinely curious question, any reason you went for Titan when you have a 1080p 60hz monitor? It's just...well...bwuh?
    Just making super-sure that minimum framerates never drop below 60fps at the absolute highest settings in all possible games? Or aiming to HUGELY upgrade that monitor sometime in the future to a 1440p IPS, 120hz/144hz or tri-screen setup?
    I do plan to upgrade my monitor setup eventually.
    But to be completely honest...it's mostly because the store where I bought the parts had the Titan in stock (and the 780 on short call)...and I was like: "Screw it, I WANT that!"

actually, the biggest hate i have with laptops, and this is someone coming who had a laptop to begin with to game on, is how repairable they are, if something goes wrong, its hell to fix, the easiest ones to sort is HDD and ram. If one of the other parts fail, you can pretty much have a bricked laptop or send it in for repair which can take a while to do and left with what exactly?

and as a result, just produces more cons for laptop gaming
    Meh laptops generally are not hard to repair, personally I own a gaming laptop and my gaming desktop. If you take care of your equipment it should be fine but if something goes wrong, it's not hard to fix. I like my laptop as I use it for work with VM's etc. and for troubleshooting/data recovery plus it's good for when I want to go to a friends place

i7-3960x cpu
    2x geforce gtx 690 gfx
    DX79TO Mobo
    16gb RAM
    480gb ssd
    2x 2TB hdd
    cooler master silencio 550 box

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Meh laptops generally are not hard to repair, personally I own a gaming laptop and my gaming desktop. If you take care of your equipment it should be fine but if something goes wrong, it's not hard to fix. I like my laptop as I use it for work with VM's etc. and for troubleshooting/data recovery plus it's good for when I want to go to a friends place
    work is what i find its good for sure

oh should add, this came in on friday 16th

Last edited by mmoc80f347fccc; 2013-08-18 at 10:33 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice buy! Please post some results from benchmarks when you can!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

work is what i find its good for sure

oh should add, this came in on friday 16th

Yeah agreed for work it's very nice, also post results on that SSD, it looks nice and I'm kind of itching to buy one for this PC maybe a 512GB model and throw my m4 in my laptop.

Deleted
    will do when i get the chance and get some benchmarking software, will try post the samsung magician ones tommorow as its late here, the 512 gb + i think are delayed a bit, at least for overclockers.co.uk it was, the SSD landed in their store on the thursday 15th and got it through the post on the 16th :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Just ordered a new pc.
    Setup:

AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5GHz 14M AM3+ 95W
    GIGA-BYTE AMD 760G/SB710 AM3+ mATX
    4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 Kingston
    4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 Kingston
    1TB 3.5" SATA3 7200rpm 64MB WD Caviar Blue
    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5"
    GeForce GTX660 2GB GDDR5 GIGA-BYTE
    DVD-RW 22X SATA BLACK
    Cooler Master Elite K350 Midi-tower
    600W (Silent 120mm FAN/Active PFC/85+)

Cost of this setup in USD is around 992.

Any feedback on my budget setup? ^^ For most part i play only wow, so more or less aim concerned about only wow performance. I do own some other games that i like to play from time to time (like skyrim, civ5, borderlands2), but performance in those titles would concern me to much.

You already ordered it, so what will feedback do?
    If you want suggestions or changes, please make a new thread.

You could have got something better at that price point. Something DEFINITELY better.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760