Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I think H80i's stock fans have a better noise/cfm ratio than Scythe GT's. GT's are very old fans now (still good for big rads / custom loops though) : /
    The 1850 RPM is quieter, but moves less air and has less static pressure. The 3000 RPM is about the same noise level, but moves more air and has more static pressure.

The 3000 RPM GTs would be an upgrade, but since two would cost $40-$50, I can't say it'd be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Nicely balanced system, and by the looks of it a very predominant colorscheme. Looking forward to the pictures

- - - Updated - - -

Did some modifications to my own system. Need to get my mate to update my pictures, cause my camera sucks ^^
    http://i.imgur.com/LTimSUz.jpg

Deleted
    I think H80i's stock fans have a better noise/cfm ratio than Scythe GT's. GT's are very old fans now (still good for big rads / custom loops though) : /
    The problem with the H80i's stock fans is that they move air weirdly producing whistling turbulence noises, H60 does the exact same thing. I'm not sure what exactly causes the whistle noises but i believe it has something to do with the design of the blades on the stock fans. Me replacing them with GT's is simply a test to see if the noise is remediable. If not, I'll install them on the side plate. It's a win-win investment either way

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Nicely balanced system, and by the looks of it a very predominant colorscheme. Looking forward to the pictures

- - - Updated - - -

Did some modifications to my own system. Need to get my mate to update my pictures, cause my camera sucks ^^
    [URL]http://i.imgur.com/LTimSUz.jpg[ /URL]
    Indeed, going to be loads of fun to build it. Unfortunately I as well have a shitty camera so the pictures will probably not be of the highest caliber.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    I think what you refer to as "whistle noises" is just the pump.

Deleted
    I think what you refer to as "whistle noises" is just the pump.
    We shall find out tomorrow

10+ Year Old Account
    ...huh. The TIM spread between the lid and the chip seems to be meh at best, no wonder temps suck. Putting aside there shouldn't be any TIM at all, the whole thing is supposed to be welded/soldered shut right?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Also yes, they should be using fluxless solder like with sandy bridge and all the extreme chips. But after sandy, haswell and ivy use TIM. Don't know why they changed but it is why temps are much higher on ivy and haswell than they should be.
    It's far more cost effective, that's why they changed it.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    ...huh. The TIM spread between the lid and the chip seems to be meh at best, no wonder temps suck. Putting aside there shouldn't be any TIM at all, the whole thing is supposed to be welded/soldered shut right?
    it's terrible, some guy even tested the TIM at OC and the results were like +25-30 degrees for a minor overclock.
    aslo can't see from the picture if it is a haswell or ivy chip? (ps warranty tip , use black glue once you replaced the TIM)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    It's far more cost effective, that's why they changed it.
    Cost effective for the $500+ chips as well?

Deleted
    Cost effective for the $500+ chips as well?
    E series still use solder to my knownledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    it's terrible, some guy even tested the TIM at OC and the results were like +25-30 degrees for a minor overclock.
    aslo can't see from the picture if it is a haswell or ivy chip? (ps warranty tip , use black glue once you replaced the TIM)
    Sounds like Intel did it on purpose to limit overclocking on air and make their E-series chips seem better in comparison. Pretty pathetic.

Deleted
    CPU - i7 4770K @ 4.4 GHz
    RAM - 16GB
    500 gb SSD
    1TB HDD
    CPU - GTX Titan x 2
    Watercooling - H100i

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d0oms View Post
    CPU - i7 4770K @ 4.4 GHz
    RAM - 16GB
    500 gb SSD
    1TB HDD
    CPU - GTX Titan x 2
    Watercooling - H100i
    Would love to see some pics man, that would be one of the few extreme-level builds around here

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like Intel did it on purpose to limit overclocking on air and make their E-series chips seem better in comparison. Pretty pathetic.
    Nah, intel is trying to maximise profit instead of actively competing with AMD. Because frankly, there is no competition.
    However using glue and TIM on a 500 or 1000 dollar CPU is hard to sell :P

Please keep Haswell overclocking in a thread more suited for that topic.

You upgraded my CPU, pretty happy with it after having some problems with my old E8400.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570
    CPU-Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken (CPU @40°C)
    RAM: 8GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333
    GPU: ASUS DirectCU HD 6870 1GB
    MB: ASRock B85M-HDS
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Basic
    HDD: 1TB WD Black Edition
    PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M500 (500W, 85% effiency)
    Case: Xigmatek Asgard Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Could've gone with 1600 memory though, seeing haswell has a 1600 memory controller. Oh well, it won't make that much difference.

Intel i7 3770K @4.6ghz 1.25vcore(Delidded with CLP on die, MX4 on IHS/Sync) ~ EVGA ACX SC GTX 780 ~ Corsair H110 AIO Cooler(w/ 2x 140mm BGear Blasters) ~ Corsair AX1200 w/ 100.4amps on one +12v rail ~ 16gb (2x8gb) Kingston Beast HyperX DDR3 2400mhz CL11 w/ Kingston active RAM cooler ~ Samsung Pro 840 256gb SSD w/ Win 7 Pro 64 Bit + 64gb C300 + 3tb ancillary ~ Asrock Extreme6 Z77 8+4 Phase Motherboard ~ CoolerMaster HAF932 ~ Samsung 32" 1080p 120hz LED Desktop Monitor

Thinking of dropping in a second 780. My temps never reach 60c on this rig with even higher voltage than I'm running for daily use. That cooler + delidding + bgears blaster + optimized TIM/case makes it unbelievable for temps.

I'm adding it on EVGA mod rigs, current name is Megalodon.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I turn hyperthreading off for WoW but I keep the same overclock. I have different profiles for video editing, WoW, and general gaming. As you probably guessed, the rig is quite snappy, but a little loud with all the active cooling @ high rpm. I work in a room with a window unit AC so I couldn't possibly hear a jet engine, much less a computer, which is why I don't care. I used the vice and wood block method of delidding.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2013-09-06 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added @4.6ghz overclock

Could've gone with 1600 memory though, seeing haswell has a 1600 memory controller. Oh well, it won't make that much difference.
    I already had DDR3 Ram with my E8400...

Deleted
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k
    CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D 14
    RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz
    GPU: 2x Nvidia GeForce GTX590
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X

Here is mine one and half year old setup.