The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    This is a quote from OP:

I see no bragging and roughly ~12000 posts! disagrees with you. You couldn't be more wrong and your post accomplishes absolutely nothing.
    Should quote where the OP said that. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright sneer away, I decided to go dual-monitors once and for all. Snagged a 1600x900 19" on sale for $50, will serve my monitoring/browsing and multi tasking needs

WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    And masking tape, don't forget the masking tape
    Haha can't forget that. This is the semi-final version of the job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Alright sneer away, I decided to go dual-monitors once and for all. Snagged a 1600x900 19" on sale for $50, will serve my monitoring/browsing and multi tasking needs
    Dual monitors is the way to go! Seems deltrus has a big fan too :P
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    @looz, you should really replace that case whenever you get a chance, and try to get it off the floor! >_<
    I gave up. Nice to have the case blocking the mess that is my bookshelf.

Deleted
    xuvial, is that deltrusdisc on both screens?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Indeed it is.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Yeah, its kind of a thing around here

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahahaha! YES! More pictures to add to the collection! When I have a fair amount, I'll be doing something special with them.

And yes, I'm a professional craft beer taster. :P

Also, /snide at Xuvial for the 1600x900 monitor.

You could at least be like me and be really edgy. My second monitor is a 5 year old Gateway 1680x1050 (yes, 16:10, not 16:9!) monitor.

"A flower.

Deleted
    Should quote where the OP said that. :P
    The original post lol....

Deleted

Today was a good day.

Well look what showed up this morning, 4 months after I won the giveaway

Also I just want to give credit to Ryan Shrout at PC Perspective who ran the livesteam/giveaway with JJ from ASUS for making sure I got the board in the end. I've liked that site since I first found it back when I was researching parts for my build in the first place.

If anyone wants the back story to this, my original post is here.

So I finally got to put all those other parts to good use and here is the result.

And while I was assembling all of this Blizz managed to pick the one block of a few hours in months when I didn't have a working PC to send me a hearthstone beta key (snagged the video card and hard drives from my old PC to use in the new one).

I jumped into LFR to take the new CPU (i5-4670k) for a test drive and on the "good" preset my fps on bosses went from 3 to 40-45 (was getting about 5-8 fps on the lowest preset on the old CPU).

I haven't overclocked it.........yet.

My GPU will probably be the next thing to get changed in a few months time, thinking of getting the R9 280x direct CU TOP, followed by a monitor (a 280x on a 1600x900 display sounds like a bit of a joke when not in eyefinity), maybe one of those Korean 1440p ones that are going for ~€250-300 on Ebay, put the 2 1440x900 beside it in portrait mode and mount the 1600x900 one on the pole above the rest.
    (realized that is not in the other shots)

As a side note, it seems this was well overdue, that dust
    Last edited by mmoccbc7db64cc; 2013-10-08 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gratz on purchases
    As far as gaming goes a 4670K isn't that much faster than an i7 2600K when you factor in overclocks. Sandy is a hell of a lot more OC-friendly than Haswell, I would say getting a 4670K to 4.5ghz (as shown below) is about as uncommon as getting a 2600K to 4.9-5ghz.

As for my own rig, I'm finding myself contemplating just saying "fuck it" and going with a Corsair 550D + Noctua D14 for a maximum silence build...the ol' Sniper still looks lovely but it's starting to vibrate/rattle more and more as it ages.
    A 550D would also technically let the GPU run cooler with a side intake which my current case doesn't allow.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-10-09 at 05:21 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I thought the numbers were a bit better than that.

Like a 4.2~GHz Haswell i5 would be equatable to a 4.8~GHz Sandy i5.
    "A flower.

OC friendly in performance or in clocks?
    Performance, Haswell wins. Clocks, Netburst and AMD FX-CPUs win.

Even though Haswell can't match SB in clocks, its superior IPC is still the winner. And if clocks matter that much, AMD FX or lucky extreme edition 1366 would be better. Or if you have access to a personal LN2 dispenser, Netburst or AMD's latest platform.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Gratz on purchases
    As far as gaming goes a 4670K isn't that much faster than an i7 2600K when you factor in overclocks.
    Not really, if you grab benchmarks where IPC matters more you can tell the real difference. A difference you can never make up for by (possibly) better overclocking results.

Deleted
    Kind of old pics by now, thought I'd post them anyways before I change some stuff up.
    When I got the Define R4 and H100i, being a lazy ass.

After some cleaning

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse: Logitech G600
    Monitor: Asus PB278Q

Asus GTX 670 DirectCu II SLI
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair HX650
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Intel i5 3570k overclocked at 4.5Ghz (with Corsair H100i)
    Ocz Agility 3 60GB
    Ocz Verex 3 240GB
    8GB (2x4) 1333mhz CL9 DDR3 RAM

Going to buy a new PSU so I can sell my current one to a friend along with my old GTX 580. Maybe complete overkill, however I intend to get the Corsair AX1200 for absolute future proofing, along with Corsair's individually sleeved cables (white). After that, Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fans for the case and AF120 Performance fans for the h100i radiator. This gon b gud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disregard

/10 char
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2013-10-21 at 06:31 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagryth View Post
    Kind of old pics by now, thought I'd post them anyways before I change some stuff up.
    When I got the Define R4 and H100i, being a lazy ass

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse: Logitech G600
    Monitor: Asus PB278Q

Asus GTX 670 DirectCu II SLI
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair HX650
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Intel i5 3570k overclocked at 4.5Ghz (with Corsair H100i)
    Ocz Agility 3 60GB
    Ocz Verex 3 240GB
    8GB (2x4) 1333mhz CL9 DDR3 RAM

Going to buy a new PSU so I can sell my current one to a friend along with my old GTX 580. Maybe complete overkill, however I intend to get the Corsair AX1200 for absolute future proofing, along with Corsair's individually sleeved cables (white). After that, Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fans for the case and AF120 Performance fans for the h100i radiator. This gon b gud.
    Few things:

1. How do you like the ASUS PB278Q?
    2. How do you think a Corsair AX1200 would be 'absolute future proofing'?

I have a critique on the idea of it being future proofing, that being, power consumption for most computer parts is going down to the point of, people are starting to be able to run overclocked dual GPU systems with relatively lower wattage requirements. Where a 1000w PSU used to be absolutely required for such a thing, now? Not so much. Hell, what I can say is based on your system, you are pulling very minimal wattage from the wall, and the AX1200 would not only be 'complete overkill' (note word usage of would, not maybe) but also just a stupid waste of money. Save yourself some money and just go with an AX750i, if you must go with something overkill but be 'future-proofing' as much as I hate the term. Unless you plan to go 4xSLI+Intel 6 core OC'd and 2400MHz memory... it would be foolish.

Oh, don't forget the 8 HDDs and 4 SSDs.

Obviously, you can already tell your HX650 is handling your 2x670s OC'd and your CPU OC'd decently.

Other than that critique, I like the build!
    "A flower.

Few things:

I have a critique on the idea of it being future proofing, that being, power consumption for most computer parts is going down to the point of, people are starting to be able to run overclocked dual GPU systems with relatively lower wattage requirements. Where a 1000w PSU used to be absolutely required for such a thing, now? Not so much. Hell, what I can say is based on your system, you are pulling very minimal wattage from the wall, and the AX1200 would not only be 'complete overkill' (note word usage of would, not maybe) but also just a stupid waste of money. Save yourself some money and just go with an AX750i, if you must go with something overkill but be 'future-proofing' as much as I hate the term. Unless you plan to go 4xSLI+Intel 6 core OC'd and 2400MHz memory... it would be foolish.

Obviously, you can already tell your HX650 is handling your 2x670s OC'd and your CPU OC'd decently.

I don't think many understand that a quality PSU running at 40-60% utilization delivers much more stable power and reduced power consumption compared to a quality PSU running at 10% utilization.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Few things:

Yeah I may have gotten a bit too excited looking at power consumption of crazy cards like the HD 7990 (One review I saw stated 555W at 100% load).
    This is why I don't like having a lot of money in my hands for spending, I end up doing stupid things on a whim. :P

Anyhow, to the ASUS PB278Q - I can't provide much of a comparison to other IPS (kind of) or 1440p monitors since it's my first one, however I'll say that it's absolutely gorgeous compared to 1080p and TN-panels. Looking at it alongside my old monitor, I notice the colours are completely off on the TN-panel monitor. It looks like it has a blue overlay on it.
    The pixel density of 1440p made more differences than I expected, most notably for text everywhere; it's much more pleasant to read (Even in WoW text somehow looks much better). Speaking of games, it also reduces the need for anti-aliasing by a LOT. It IS nearly 2x the pixel count of 1080p afterall. That being said, it does require some beefy GPU power to run games well. :P
    Responsiveness and such were a slight concern before purchasing, however slightly tweaking the "trace free" option on the monitor, I really can't recognize any ghosting or such compared to my old monitor.
    To sum things up, I absolutely love the monitor and I do not believe I can ever go back to TN-panels or 1080p. I hope we can some day have 120hz without overclocking on these types of monitors. I would absolutely recommend the monitor though. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically we already have 120Hz capability on 1440p... the monitor manufacturers are just being lazy.
    "A flower.