The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I've not really been aversive of them, but I never had reason to pick it anyway. So take this with a pinch of salt: What I heard was that it was the company's complete denial of the problem until well after the fact. That would make any choice of controller moot tbf.
    This. In comparison to corsair for instance, who actually recalled them...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    OCZ didn't stand for it. It wasn't really an OCZ issue.
    Actually it was very much so an OCZ issue and they way they handled the situation, after all they chose to use SandForce, it wasn't forced onto them (no pun intended) and they also had issues with Indilinx. I didn't say OCZ hadn't improved ever since, good for them having moved on, though since also went bankrupt and then saved by Toshiba. However I think this horse has been beaten enough in the past and we can move on.

I don't know why you link us an SSDLife screenshot, it tells us nothing. Glad your drive is healthy though
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-01-24 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Yeah, this was all around the same time period when they went to 25nm. Their original drives before this used Sandforce (pre 2000), then they switched to a modded SF2000 controller rebranded Indilinx (not the same chip that Indilinx eventually co-developed with OCZ) for Vertex 2 era drives as well as very early Vertex 3 / Agility 3 / Octane / etc etc on said 25nm NAND. AFAIK that only had a few month window, which just magnified the issue and confusion due to the new controllers and memory spanning over 2 generations of their drives in such a short time.

In regards to the return rate, that's one site. It's also drives that were all sold during a small window in time. If that site had sold the defective Corsair lineup, their numbers would have been similar.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    This. In comparison to corsair for instance, who actually recalled them...
    They recalled for different reasons: http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Co...rdware-defects

They likely wouldn't have recalled if they weren't having physical PCB issues. Worth noting that none of the other manufacturers did either.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Actually it was very much so an OCZ issue and they way they handled the situation, after all they chose to use SandForce, it wasn't forced onto them (no pun intended) and they also had issues with Indilinx. I didn't say OCZ hadn't improved ever since, good for them having moved on, though since also went bankrupt and then saved by Toshiba. However I think this horse has been beaten enough in the past and we can move on.

I don't know why you link us an SSDLife screenshot, it tells us nothing. Glad your drive is healthy though
    Their Sandforce issue was the Indilinx issue. Same controller, they just rebranded it after their modifications to it. Honestly, I don't comprehend the "they handled poorly" thing. It's not like they didn't honor RMA's, and if you remember back then they even offered refunds months after purchase if a retailer didn't agree to.

The screenshot was a screenshot, "Hey look, here's an OCZ drive that has been on for 2,600+ hours that has perfect S.M.A.R.T. data. People just make them out to be a guaranteed failure. I had my diagnostic work drive next to me, so I figured why not? Portable version of SSDLife is pretty much the quickest way to pull up r/w totals and TRIM status.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-01-24 at 10:52 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

We're starting to fall from the on-topic rails, let's move the SSD/HDD reliability/OCZ discussion to another thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    <SNIP>
    replied to your post and continued here

10+ Year Old Account
    Allow me to put the thread back on the rails. I've figured out a way to fix the drooping of my card. Just fix it upright! Why didn't i think of it before.
    Also this:

Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image

Fanmod

Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image

Computer

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.7ghz (1.416V)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 + 2xNF-F12's
    Motherboard: MSI Z87i Gaming AC
    Memory: 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL8 (XMP enabled)
    Graphics: ASUS GTX 670 DCII (1215/1700)
    Case: Fractal Node 304 mini-ITX
    Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX-Series 550W
    Storage: Crucial M4 64GB + Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Perhipherals

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 2312HM e-IPS
    Mouse: Zowie AM
    Keyboard: Filco Majestouch II, Cherry-MX Brown US. (o-ring modded)
    Mousepad: Steelseries QcK+
    Speakers: AudioEngine A5+
    DAC: AudioEngine D1
    Additional Audio: AudioQuest Golden Gate RCA, AudioQuest Pearl USB, AudioQuest Forest Optilink

Previous Builds
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2014-03-08 at 11:59 PM.

That is a very nice build Majesticii! Last year I was contemplating a build using the Node 304, but I had started to drift away from the idea (in favor of another M-ATX build). You may have renewed my interested in it though!
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-01-24 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks! Just keep in mind that you cannot use a modular PSU if you're using a full length card. I found that out the hard way.

Wait, what? A 160mm modular PSU won't fit with a big graphics card?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. You get this:
    http://i.imgur.com/sgpUPiB.jpg

That's a Be Quiet Straight Power E8 580W, which is specified to be:
    160 x 150 x 86

Well, fuck, that's pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, it's no biggy. I managed to squeeze the cables i didn't need in the detachable frontpanel. So they're not inside the actual case.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is it that the modularity is the problem? (can't make anything out of the pic)

Aww, I wish I could make a mini-ITX build myself. Sound card won't fit. Someone needs to come out with full ATX mini case with no optical drives and the PSU mounted on that spot, could make the case a whole good 20cm shorter. If you also left out the drive cages you could really make one small squeezed perfect sized full ATX case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    How is it that the modularity is the problem?
    The cables of a non-modular PSU all come out of the same opening, but on a modular PSU you plug them in along the length of the end of the PSU. With a non-modular, you could situate the PSU so that the opening is not obstructed by the GPU, it's impossible to do that with a modular PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sound card won't fit.
    Or just buy a DAC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Or just buy a DAC.
    DACs are silly. Perfect solution would be a better case I could fit all my stuff I wanted without wasting space on useless things like opticals or HDD's.

Deleted
    DACs are silly. Perfect solution would be a better case I could fit all my stuff I wanted without wasting space on useless things like opticals or HDD's.
    They are better than having a sound card though

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    They are better than having a sound card though
    This. Why exactly are we calling DACs silly? They remove any electrical noise from your computer that you could hear through headphones (or especially high-power studio monitors like mine) and make the sound much clearer. I tried both my motherboard sound outputs as well as Xonar DX... electricity! Then I got the TASCAM US-366... all problems went away.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and the Z87i had has a dedicated 5V usb power supply for dacs. Should be gud.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    -snip-
    I love how it's so beautifully done and yet practical for an above average user.