The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    omg Nidor, Mr. Super Computer Rig man! Would love to see updated pictures when you can get them!

I must ask though if you really feel that CPU upgrade was worth it, though if you're rendering videos and such, I would say it probably is. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidor View Post
    My 4770K runs quite hot tbh, I'm going to remount it later on and see if I can push the temps farther down.
    It's a haswell thing. On-die VRM's make them run hot, but they don't produce lots of heat. If that makes any sense.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    omg Nidor, Mr. Super Computer Rig man! Would love to see updated pictures when you can get them!

I must ask though if you really feel that CPU upgrade was worth it, though if you're rendering videos and such, I would say it probably is. :P
    The CPU upgrade I got kind off half price, did a tradein with a friend for my 2500k + Motherboard + Hyper212 cooler for the motherboard and CPU. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    It's a haswell thing. On-die VRM's make them run hot, but they don't produce lots of heat. If that makes any sense.
    As far as I know it's the same issue as with the Ivy bridge(I might be remembering wrong), where the TIM used between the CPU and Internal Heat Spreader is not that good. I think the Sandy series used a solder between the CPU and IHS which made sure they ran pretty cool. I have seen posts on different forums where people had a 10-18C decrease in temps after de-lidding and reapplying a proper TIM.

I am considering de-lidding my CPU and either going direct-die cooling or putting on a new paste. And yes, I know the risks!

It might take a while for me to get the build finished but when I have time later on I will take some pictures I can show you later this week!
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know it's the same issue as with the Ivy bridge
    No it isn't. The TIM is fine, direct-die wont do much since the issue is the small die-surface to begin with. I thought i got improvements when i delidded. But i've been comparing it to people who haven't. It really doesn't change diddly squat. Well maybe a little less core deviance, but that's about it.

Just move your expectations and deal with the fact they run hot. You're not going to ever get 40-50 temps on a Haswell. And thb it's really not that big of a deal. You can slap a cheap H60/H80i and overclock it to your desire. They just get hot... so what.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2014-02-11 at 02:35 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No it isn't. The TIM is fine, direct-die wont do much since the issue is the small die-surface to begin with. I thought i got improvements when i delidded. But i've been comparing it to people who haven't. It really doesn't change diddly squat. Well maybe a little less core deviance, but that's about it.

Just move your expectations and deal with the fact they run hot. You're not going to ever get 40-50 temps on a Haswell. And thb it's really not that big of a deal. You can slap a cheap H60/H80i and overclock it to your desire. They just get hot... so what.
    I'm not expecting 40-50 temps, I'd prefer low 70's. If you could PM me some of the places you've looked that'd be lovely. As I said earlier I've found people getting 10-18C drops from delidding and reaplying TIM, but also quite a few getting squat from it.

Did you de-lid and reapply TIM or go DirectDie?

They run hot, very hot and I'm fine with that ^^
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

I don't have anything except stock fans and I've never gone over 71 degrees on my GPU. That was while playing AND streaming Witcher 2. My motherboard has only ever reached 60 degrees Celsius at it's very highest. Sounds like you're not getting proper airflow if you go higher than that. My CPU stays at an even lower temperature than the mobo. I would suggest re mounting your fan on the CPU. Maybe you don't have the CPU grease on properly. It has to be as even as possible when you put the fan on. Not trying to sound cocky or make you out to be a nub or anything, as I am pretty nubbish on computer issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IzoGray View Post
    I don't have anything except stock fans and I've never gone over 71 degrees on my GPU. That was while playing AND streaming Witcher 2. My motherboard has only ever reached 60 degrees Celsius at it's very highest. Sounds like you're not getting proper airflow if you go higher than that. My CPU stays at an even lower temperature than the mobo. I would suggest re mounting your fan on the CPU. Maybe you don't have the CPU grease on properly. It has to be as even as possible when you put the fan on. Not trying to sound cocky or make you out to be a nub or anything, as I am pretty nubbish on computer issues.
    Random post is random.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Random post is random.
    ....yeaahh....

....yeaahh....
    I replying to this post where he says his temp hits 80 degrees for his CPU
    Yes I could probably survive without the MO-RA, but since I can place it in the adjacent storage room which is colder and there really isn't any good justification for having it why not?

My 4770K runs quite hot tbh, I'm going to remount it later on and see if I can push the temps farther down. But with a simple run in IntelBurnTest it hits mid 80's, running only the CPU/Mobo/RAM blocks.

The AX1200 I've had for quite a long time and it has been the most reliable PSU I have ever worked with, sure it's got waaaay more power than what my system needs, but I'd rather have a lot of headroom than struggle for power.

Anyhow, after work tomorrow I will see if the 780Ti's will hold up well on air until my waterblocks arrive!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    In reply to all of this, I've been playing with my 780Ti's a bit today and they do run quite well on Air. I managed to hit 1245 MHz boost clock and run 3DMark Firestrike 1.1 and maxed out at 82 degrees ^^ I haven't been playing around with these benches a lot before but I managed to hit 16241 in Firestrike 1.1, I guesstimate that this is quite good and I should be moooore than happy!

And I do intend to remount the CPU block after properly cleaning the base of the block and the CPU IHS! Once I get the time and can be bothered that is.

http://imgur.com/a/ZikCz

Some pics of how the build is frankensteined together at the moment. I have most of the case modding done but I am not ready to show it yet, this weekend I promise whoever wants to, may see the pictures ^^

It's that time again folks! I want to remind everyone that this thread is for posting setups and discussions directly relating to them. If we want to discuss proper temps, the merits of modifying CPUs, etc; please make a new thread or use the chat thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I replying to this post where he says his temp hits 80 degrees for his CPU
    Yes, and in doing so displayed your ignorance on the subject.

@Nidor, damn, 3x360 rads for a 84W CPU? Haha, i've never seen overkill displayed quite so extensively xD

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

@Nidor, damn, 3x360 rads for a 84W CPU? Haha, i've never seen overkill displayed quite so extensively xD
    To be fair I have a good reason for it. It's the easiest radiator to use on a bench, it stands up by itself. Thats really the only reason!

And yes Mr. ModeratorMan I shall attempt to keep further posts focused on a specific build.

meh whatever. I said I was pretty nubbish about computers anyways. Was only trying to help. No need to be salty about it.

Well, some video editing software (I can only speak for Sony Movie Maker) supports CUDA acceleration, so the CPU benefit will be blunted a little bit. Having said that, my CPU still saturates when rendering (i7 3770k).

10+ Year Old Account
    meh whatever. I said I was pretty nubbish about computers anyways. Was only trying to help. No need to be salty about it.
    The point is he is running an overclocked Haswell CPU, these CPUs naturally tend to run quite hot, no matter what you do, unless you delid them, which is a risky business that I think most people would rather not do. In the future, I'd suggest you make sure you understand these types of things about individual CPUs before making such comments.

@Majesticii, pretty sure we've seen more and bigger rads before for such things, though I gotta say, if he delids, then that will truly make it as overkill as possible. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Delidding a haswell doesn't really change all that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen it does a good deal for some at least though, doesn't it?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen it does a good deal for some at least though, doesn't it?
    Artic silver 5 or any other non conductive TIM might shave 5-8c off.
    Liquid Pro + sandpaper to even the mounting spot knocked 30c+ for my 4770k.

http://i.imgur.com/7TojzGD.png
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Artic silver 5 or any other non conductive TIM might shave 5-8c off.
    Liquid Pro + sandpaper to even the mounting spot knocked 30c+ for my 4770k.

http://i.imgur.com/7TojzGD.png
    Sanding and evening out the top of the IHS on my 2500K shaved off 4C, it takes quite some time but it's worth it if you're bothered. I also religiously polish and clean the surface of both the cooling unit and the CPU IHS, you would be amazed at how much crap copper gathers in it's surface layers! I'm making a mental note to take pictures of the next time I'm doing this so you can see