Core i5, intel hd graphics 620, 16 GB Ram DDR4, SSD Intel 120 GB. Sometimes it's hurting to see system requirements of new games. No, OFTEN it hurts

@pansertjald

Are you sure about the flow direction of the water at the HeatKiller GPU block? I have a Heatkiller GPU block in my system but for the 1080gtx and the flow direction of the water matters. For my GPU block, the input needs to be on the left side and the outlet on the right side. Just and advice: i would look into the manual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerp616 View Post
    @pansertjald

Are you sure about the flow direction of the water at the HeatKiller GPU block? I have a Heatkiller GPU block in my system but for the 1080gtx and the flow direction of the water matters. For my GPU block, the input needs to be on the left side and the outlet on the right side. Just and advice: i would look into the manual.
    It doesn't matter too much from what I know. Maybe 1-2 degrees and some extra impedance, but absolutely fine.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerp616 View Post
    @pansertjald

As Temp say's. it doesn't really mather to mucch. Meybe 1-2c nothing more
    But the CPU has to be the right way. But for the GPU it doesn't really mather

EK did some testing on their GPU blocks reversing the flow rate and there where a difference of 1,5c
    can i use the inlet port as the outlet and the outlet port as inlet/

If your GPU block has a jet plate, then it is not recommended to reverse the flow rate, as this could ad up to 5c more on the GPU
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2020-04-18 at 06:47 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

After scrolling through 30 pages of this thread, I've yet to find inspiration for laptop powered setup. So if someone here would have such 1 laptop of a dock + 2 screens clean desk setup, I would be thrilled.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Oh, that would explain it.
    Now with light in the RES

Last edited by pansertjald; 2020-04-25 at 11:30 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Fair enough!
    So let's hear some specs of the whole setup

As Part-II of my Setup:

My 9 year old 2700k broke down (Mainboard) - after 9 years of 24/7 ussage, overclocked (~5GHz) and just kept at stable/silent-operation with only ONE fixed fan at ~1000RPM.

What I wanted:
    * quite/silent system (oversized AIR COOLING, low-wattage/high efficiency parts)
    * gaming GPU with additional application support (=> NVIDIA)
    * no window-case/no RGB unicorn vomit build

Spec:
    * Mainboard MSI B450 carbon pro ac
    => cheap ~100€, Intel-LAN/Intel-WLAN, NO-Chipset-Fan, BIOS flash without CPU/RAM/*
    * CPU 3800x
    => cheap 50% of the 9900k price with similar performance, while the TDP is low enough for a silent build
    * COOLER Noctua NH-D15
    => no real options for a silent system
    * RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX
    => who cares, went with the cheapest I could get. XMP@DDR4-3000 > runs ~3600MHz
    * GPU MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO
    => went for the big 330mm long card, there was no similar option for 2060S cards with silent options
    => SEMI-PASSIVE (fans are off till 60°C)
    * PSU Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 Titanium (SSR-650TR)
    => SEMI-PASSIVE went for the most efficient PSU I could get (fan is OFF till 40% load)
    * CASE Define R6 (PCGH version, full black)
    => no window-option / room for Noctua NH-D15 & MSI 330mm card / room for 2x SSD, 2x HDD, DVD/BR drive

Adjustments after stress test:
    * CASE mod to open build to get more room for the MSI 2070S
    * CASE FANS replaced with Noctua A14 + (ultra)-low-noise-adapters (~900 RPM)
    * CPU OC was "interessting"
    => stock 3800x (with 4-6 multicore boost ~4550MHz) was doing better in benchmarks while cooler overall
    * CPU FAN + Noctua A15 low-noise-adapter (stock 3800x remains in burn-testing at 69°C after 2 hours)
    * MAINBOARD MSI B450 came pre-flashed to RYZEN Gen3 (1.0.0.4)
    => 3800x auto-detected, DDR4-RAM XMP auto-detected + 3600MHz-profile(16T) could be used without any issues (MEMTEST86)
    => after benchmarks I went back with the RAM speed from 3600MHz to XMP, because it was better in CinebenchR20, Timings > Speed

Some random numbers:
    * MAX LOAD and the PSU = PASSIVE
    => the fan was not activated while I was running CPU burn and GPU burn test - hilarious!

* GAMING World-of-Warcraft 1080p/VSYNC/graphics-default-7/dx12
    => CPU runs at ~40°C, GPU ~45°C (PASSIVE)
    => SYSTEM TOTAL watts while gaming: 120W

* SYSTEM IDLE no audible noise at 80-100cm
    => CPU runs at ~30°C (~22°C ambient)
    => SYSTEM TOTAL watts in idle: 60W ( CPU+CONTROLLER HWINFO ~10-15W )

Bottom line:
    The price difference for similar intel system - 9700k (if we are naive) / 9900k (real world) - without the possibility to undercut a second time with a cheap mainboard is just crazy. The whole new build took 1 afternoon to read into the current CPU/GPU/CHIPSET/RAM compatibility issues and resulted in a perfect out of the box experience when building the system. Did just bare minimum cable management and I am pretty happy with the basicly dead silent idle system that remains dead silent while playing a bit of world of warcraft.

Negative:
    * RBG unicorn vomit could not be prevented
    => at least I got no windows

Some pictures:

I used my 9y old SATA cables

big picture: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...67_00001_4.jpg

"window kit"

big picture:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...71_00002_4.jpg

Noctua fans, MSI 330mm GPU (HUGE)

big picture:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...78_00003_4.jpg

big picture:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...88_00004_4.jpg

used for the Watt measurements

big picture:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...7696_00005.jpg

My RAM settings:
    Corsair [CMK16GX4M2B30]
    => default XMP-3000MHz profile with 15-17-17-35 (FCLK ~1500MHz) => DEFAULT 1.35V
    => default MSI Memory Try It! 3600MHz with 16-19-19-39 (FCLK =1800MHz) => DEFAULT 1.408V
    Faceroll easy to get max speeds out of cheap memory, zero manual OC needed.

But be prepared if you have to reset your CMOS as usual with RAM OC!

EDIT
    Lucky me, the cheapest Corsair RAM (4x8GB) is clearly Samsung B-Die and runs at 3600MHz@1.35V. Thats lucky I guess.

2x8GB runs 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 1.35V

4x8GB runs 3600MHz 18-19-19-39 1.35V

Last edited by Ange; 2020-05-12 at 03:09 PM.
    -

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy smokes, excellent write-up! Love it all. Adam Audio studio monitors are fantastic!

You should really get a higher resolution monitor for gaming now, though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You should really get a higher resolution monitor for gaming now, though.
    I am pretty much used to the EIZO color calibration display for my foto work and the current HD+ and 4K offerings from EIZO in the product-line I use (~1500-2000 EUR screens) are a huge disappointment for me. Anything else but my CG247 is a direct downgrade right now. Waiting for next gen.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    I am pretty much used to the EIZO color calibration display for my foto work and the current HD+ and 4K offerings from EIZO in the product-line I use (~1500-2000 EUR screens) are a huge disappointment for me. Anything else but my CG247 is a direct downgrade right now. Waiting for next gen.
    Given the nice shallow DoF beauty shots you took, what camera were you using? Also, for my idle curiosity; what's the thickness of the sound dampening material on the R6?
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Given the nice shallow DoF beauty shots you took, what camera were you using? Also, for my idle curiosity; what's the thickness of the sound dampening material on the R6?
    Nikon D810 + Zeiss Otus 85mm

The thickness is ~5mm.
    The steel and the sound dampening layer does help, but the heavy lifting in noise reduction is done with oversized heatsink surfaces and high quality low RPM fans.
    -

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Ah, totally understand that. I'd love to upgrade my Samsung curved display, while it is nothing like an Eizo, I'd love an Eizo or another VA-type panel with the level of contrast at least that this has.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Did a complete rebuild this weekend after getting a smaller res top, so i could get a 3rd fan in the bottom. Also added ek-cryofuel solid cloud white for my red/white theme build. So a complete redo with bindings and all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Did a complete rebuild this weekend after getting a smaller res top, so i could get a 3rd fan in the bottom. Also added ek-cryofuel solid cloud white for my red/white theme build. So a complete redo with bindings and all.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HOlnCaGl.jpg[img]
    Ooooh, that's sexy. I'll probably stick with clear liquids just so it won't gunk up my system, but I cannot deny that coloured liquids look really good.

http://i.imgur.com/HOlnCaGl.jpg
    Very nice! I have the same case (it's not the XL, right?), and depending on ow good the 3000 Nvidia cards are, i am planning to go the way of custom loops. Did you set a radiator on the side or you have one just on top?

I have also the card mounted vertically (is that the Cooler Master bracket? cause i have also that lol), didn't realize a set of 3 fans could fit under it. I'd like to set up 2 separate loops for cpu and gpu, and was asking if 2 360mm rads can fit on side+top. Otherwise i'll just go for 2x240mm (since they're separate loops, a smaller rad won't be ugly and can work with separate/smaller parts).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Very nice! I have the same case (it's not the XL, right?), and depending on ow good the 3000 Nvidia cards are, i am planning to go the way of custom loops. Did you set a radiator on the side or you have one just on top?

I have also the card mounted vertically (is that the Cooler Master bracket? cause i have also that lol), didn't realize a set of 3 fans could fit under it. I'd like to set up 2 separate loops for cpu and gpu, and was asking if 2 360mm rads can fit on side+top. Otherwise i'll just go for 2x240mm (since they're separate loops, a smaller rad won't be ugly and can work with separate/smaller parts).
    Its not the XL. I looked at the Xl, to keep the bigger res i had and still be able to have 3 fans in the bottom. But using 241€ vs. 70€ for a smaller res was a no brainer. But if you are going for a dual loop, then the XL would be a good choice or the Phanteks Enthoo 719 Full Tower

I have an EK coolstream xe 360 in the top and a Magicool 360 Slim G2 in the side chamber. The side chamber can fit up to a 360 40mm rad. But if you go for a coolstream PE 360 you will have to do a little modding with the UBS-c cable, because the PE 360 is a little to wide. The alphacool nexxxos xt45 360 and HWlabs fits perfect in the side chamber if you want a 40mm back there. I just went whit a slim, because of the big 60mm in the top

I use the Cooler Master bracket yes and it is really good

Its not the XL. I looked at the Xl, to keep the bigger res i had and still be able to have 3 fans in the bottom. But using 241€ vs. 70€ for a smaller res was a no brainer. But if you are going for a dual loop, then the XL would be a good choice or the Phanteks Enthoo 719 Full Tower

I have an EK coolstream xe 360 in the top and a Magicool 360 Slim G2 in the side chamber. The side chamber can fit up to a 360 40mm rad. But if you go for a coolstream PE 360 you will have to do a little modding with the UBS-c cable, because the PE 360 is a little to wide. The alphacool nexxxos xt45 360 and HWlabs fits perfect in the side chamber if you want a 40mm back there. I just went whit a slim, because of the big 60mm in the top

I use the Cooler Master bracket yes and it is really good
    I made some test measurements and wìfor what i want to do i can easily fit 2 smaller loops in the case. Since i'm a fan of alphacool/heatkiller, probably going to get stuff from there as the XT45 i had my eyes on already. Since the rad can fit in the side chamber i'll have plenty of room for pump/res, plus i have already enough rgb things with corsair fans, i don't need anything more XD

I'll probably get 240mm ones. For a single component they're more than enough. Also, alphacool has some nice SFF pump blocks which i can use to save room in the build. Things like THIS. Or if a D5 pump is a straight out better choice (despite the cost ramping up quite a lot) i can use some small pump/res combo i can fix on the grill just above the lianli plaque.

EDIT: fan setup is bottom intake and top/side exhaust? Just to try to fit everything in place at least mentally.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2020-05-20 at 06:22 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I made some test measurements and wìfor what i want to do i can easily fit 2 smaller loops in the case. Since i'm a fan of alphacool/heatkiller, probably going to get stuff from there as the XT45 i had my eyes on already. Since the rad can fit in the side chamber i'll have plenty of room for pump/res, plus i have already enough rgb things with corsair fans, i don't need anything more XD

I'll probably get 240mm ones. For a single component they're more than enough. Also, alphacool has some nice SFF pump blocks which i can use to save room in the build. Things like THIS. Or if a D5 pump is a straight out better choice (despite the cost ramping up quite a lot) i can use some small pump/res combo i can fix on the grill just above the lianli plaque.

EDIT: fan setup is bottom intake and top/side exhaust? Just to try to fit everything in place at least mentally.
    I have the side and bottom fans as intake and top as exhaust. Thats the best fan setup in the 011

I have the side and bottom fans as intake and top as exhaust. Thats the best fan setup in the 011
    ok, unfortunately i don't have the double sided led fans. the standard ones are fine, but the LL are not. Oh well, i'll make a cleaner build i suppose - right now side is intake, top exhaust and bottom is free.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Don't be jealous all;

I'm so jealous.