Recently just did some moving around and upgrades, and at this point the only thing i really need to change is the screens, as im running some enterprise screens that i got for for free (Dell P2414H 60hz).
    Maybe a new mobo, some more RAM and CPU once ryzen 5xxx series become available as MSRP again.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
    GPU Sapphire 5600xt pulse
    RAM: 16gb Corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz
    Cooler: Arctic liquid freezer 120 (complain all you want about 120mm, but my temps dont even breach 70c when doing heavy stuff like hydraulic modeling and folding, a 240/280 fits in the case if i remove my 4tb HDD, but bulk storage is more important than better temps at this point, and temps are not even bad)
    Case: Coolermaster NR200P (mesh sides)
    Mic+interface: Rode Procaster w. triton fethead, Rodecaster pro for interface
    Mouse: Razer Atheris and Elecom Huge (mouse for fps games, trackball for everything else)
    Keyboard: Keychron k4, gateron brown switches

Just small changes, pretty happy overall with the noise/performance ratio. At some point I would like to replace 2x6TB HDDs with solid state.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Mmmm, 3090.
    sufficient for WoW gaming (:
    -

I wanted to post my first custom loop but it lasted exactly one day as the pump died on me (and yes, i did try all parts in a mockup loop before even building anything). Played last night just fine, this morning i turned on the pc and the pump was just dead. I'll try troubleshooting something tonight but i immediately unplugged everything and tried to run the pump alone with no success.

Here's a small vid if anyone was interested :P Planning to fix it just it's not cheap and will take some time. I'll improve the loop aswell.

https://imgur.com/CtkFwo0 sorry for potato quality.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I wanted to post my first custom loop but it lasted exactly one day as the pump died on me (and yes, i did try all parts in a mockup loop before even building anything). Played last night just fine, this morning i turned on the pc and the pump was just dead. I'll try troubleshooting something tonight but i immediately unplugged everything and tried to run the pump alone with no success.

Here's a small vid if anyone was interested :P Planning to fix it just it's not cheap and will take some time. I'll improve the loop aswell.

https://imgur.com/CtkFwo0 sorry for potato quality.
    Looks pretty decent though!

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Looks pretty decent though!
    Would have been better if it lasted more than a day lol. I can use this as training for a better loop. I'm gonna replace the pump/cpu block, cause unfortunately i'm not really trusting that kind of products anymore. A D5 pump may be expensive but its defo more reliable. Block, whatever simple 115x will work. I'll add a drain port (which i don't have now because of very strict spacing) and i can put a simple small LCD dongle that monitors flow and liquid temp on one of the straight tubes which will just work with whatever other hardware i have.

I really don't want to overspend on EKWB stuff which is good, but not better than other solutions. But it is very common to find and there are a lot of accessories/spare parts if i ever need them.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would have been better if it lasted more than a day lol. I can use this as training for a better loop. I'm gonna replace the pump/cpu block, cause unfortunately i'm not really trusting that kind of products anymore. A D5 pump may be expensive but its defo more reliable. Block, whatever simple 115x will work. I'll add a drain port (which i don't have now because of very strict spacing) and i can put a simple small LCD dongle that monitors flow and liquid temp on one of the straight tubes which will just work with whatever other hardware i have.

I really don't want to overspend on EKWB stuff which is good, but not better than other solutions. But it is very common to find and there are a lot of accessories/spare parts if i ever need them.
    Get a Aquacomputer OCTO and slap some sensors in the loop for flow and temps.
    Aquacomputer octo controller

Are you not gonna do the GPU?
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kinda cluttered compared to a lot of setups but she's my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You might feel a little less “cluttered” if you move the tower over to the left and center the screens a bit more for where you sit.
    The screens are centered for how I sit. I sit at my desk weird. It really irritates my wife. I'm right handed but for some reason I like sitting with everything skewed left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Get a Aquacomputer OCTO and slap some sensors in the loop for flow and temps.
    Aquacomputer octo controller

Are you not gonna do the GPU?
    That's nice.

However good news - i managed to "resuscitate" the pump. When i got home i tried troubleshooting it and found the actual molex connector didn't have good contact; in fact the pump started and turned off itself randomly, compared to the total absence of life i had the morning. I connected the molex to the second plug of the same cable and made sure it was completely and surely plugged in, and the pump started working again. I don't know if the plug on the PSU side was defective or simply not fully plugged by me, or slightly pulled off when i cable managed it (though it didn't feel loose or anything).

It was indeed strange that after all the tests i did beforehand the pump just died after one day of perfect work with no warnings whatsoever.

As for the GPU: i want to do a separate loop. More expensive but way more manageable. I have all the room needed, but i'm waiting for a new card that will last me at least some years. My 1080ti is more than fine for now, i wanted to get a 3000 but i think i'm just gonna skip it and wait for a 4000, then i'll do the loop. My 8700k is gonna stay there for a very long time, 6/12 at 5GHz is great for anything in the forseeable future.

10+ Year Old Account
    However good news - i managed to "resuscitate" the pump. When i got home i tried troubleshooting it and found the actual molex connector didn't have good contact; in fact the pump started and turned off itself randomly, compared to the total absence of life i had the morning. I connected the molex to the second plug of the same cable and made sure it was completely and surely plugged in, and the pump started working again. I don't know if the plug on the PSU side was defective or simply not fully plugged by me, or slightly pulled off when i cable managed it (though it didn't feel loose or anything).
    Molex sucks, and I hate it

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Molex sucks, and I hate it
    Yep. If i have other troubles with it (because really i don't think anything else is involved at this point) i'm just gonna make a sata connector myself. I have plenty of molex to sata adapters to sacrifice and it's just a matter of joining two cables.

D15 with a come back, no more AIOs.

-

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Built my friend who has been playing Warcraft off a laptop which is about six years old and is now finally on its last leg. I honestly don't know how how she ever made it this far so I pretty much treated whatever I could get my hands on as a big upgrade since I tend to buy and sit on things when they are either on deep sale, the rarely good eBay find or are marked down real low from the Amazon warehouse often with cosmetic damage which may not even be on the product itself still in retail packaging.

So with that in mind this is what I settled with. I probably should have taken the panel off because it's mega tinted!

AMD R3 3300X
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB Windforce
    B550M Aorus Pro-P
    Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 3600
    650w Core Reactor
    500GB WD SN550
    1TB WD HDD
    Vetroo V5 cooler
    Antec Dark Phantom (rebuilding in to a Gamdias MARS M2)
    Some Arctic P12/P14 fans
    Acer SB220Q 22" IPS 1080p 75hz
    Windows 10 Pro

Quoted her $800CAD (~$650 USD) with monthly payments which she was super fine about.

The 1060 3GB is by no means a fantastic card but I got it for a banger of a deal off eBay and where she is primarily playing this for Warcraft it's still a real champ at 1080p. The cooler on it is real garbo though with thermals and fan noise even after repasting/cleaning so I'm going to put together a PCI 2 x 92mm fan setup to sit right under it like how @Ange has just above. From what I've seen these things can potentially shave off a pretty nice chunk of performance.

I'm swapping cases though in favor of a Gamdias MARS M2. It's essentially an MATX mix between an H510 from NZXT and a S100 from Thermaltake with some extra perks. The Antec DP301M Dark Phantom wasn't as constricting as it appears but the MARS M2 has slightly better overall thermals and it caught her eye more than the Antec did so that'll just go back in the spare room for another build.

Side note: I was surprised to see how warm the 3300X can get but since they're all packed on to one CCX it's probably a density/dissipation problem. Out of the box settings and side panel on and off in a pretty cool room it was hitting about 74c in CB23. Double checked the mount and played with push/pull but no change. Turned off PBO, manually adjusted the frequency to 4300mhz to avoid stretching the cores, dropped the voltage like a rock to 1.25 which is well within the safe zone of operating at static voltage and that lopped off about 11c. Not that 74c is a cause for concern or anything but I prefer a cool and quiet operation especially with how awful summer is shaping up to be in the area.

Fortunately this also opens the door for a pretty nice upgrade path which was a caveat she included that I kept in mind while building this with exception to the monitor. Future second monitor perhaps.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2021-06-30 at 03:49 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    D15 with a come back, no more AIOs.
    I actually really like the standard noctua brown in an all black/grey setup. Good job. How much the 92mm fans under the GPU did improve the temperatures?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    -snip-
    Most of the temps issues come from the cheap cooler (but it's enough for the 3300x) and the case that has very little airflow.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the temps issues come from the cheap cooler (but it's enough for the 3300x) and the case that has very little airflow.
    It's a pretty great budget cooler but I don't think I'd get much better results especially when factoring in the cost. Maybe a few degrees if I slapped on a U12S Redux or an Arctic 34 eSports but they're about about twice the price and I had this on hand already. Without going open test bench I even blew a box fan in to it while having the push/pull setup with P12s and that barely did anything so I feel it's also a combination of the core density, chip inefficiency to spread the heat from that cluster across the IHS and a really aggressive PBO where it would quite regularly spike the voltage very high even though it failed to hit the 4300mhz mark which is why I went with a low static voltage and a manual clock speed. If the case was attributing to this I'd expect to see the temps reflect that with the testing I've done so I think, for this case, it's a smaller issue.

Don't get me wrong though because I definitely wouldn't want to throw a beefier setup in this case because of its intake.

PBO just seems weird to me in general and I'd really hate to see how these things fare with the stock cooler.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2021-06-30 at 04:40 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

How much the 92mm fans under the GPU did improve the temperatures?
    The 3090 FE + D15 shift proportions a lot, the "92mm fans" are regular 120mm A12x25 fans and they replace the 3090 FE fans completly. 3dmark loop doesnt even start the 3090 FE fans (0 rpm) and maxed wattage ~350W long duration VR gaming keeps the GPU fans at just idle/starting RPM (~800 RPM) so the A12x25 are the ones that manage the GPU temp even at full load.

This is what I get with the hottest game out there, quake2-RTX after soaking for ~45mins.

60°C GPU DIE
    71°C GPU hotspot
    78°C VRAM Tjunction

This is not a stock 3090 but a thermal pad replaced one.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-07-01 at 07:28 AM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    The 3090 FE + D15 shift proportions a lot, the "92mm fans" are regular 120mm A12x25 fans and they replace the 3090 FE fans completly. 3dmark loop doesnt even start the 3090 FE fans (0 rpm) and maxed wattage ~350W long duration VR gaming keeps the GPU fans at just idle/starting RPM (~800 RPM) so the A12x25 are the ones that manage the GPU temp even at full load.

This is what I get with the hottest game out there, quake2-RTX after soaking for ~45mins.

60°C GPU DIE
    71°C GPU hotspot
    78°C VRAM Tjunction

This is not a stock 3090 but a thermal pad replaced one.
    That's really nice! Good job. If prices will go down i could bite a bullet and get a 3080 but i'm leaning towards saving/waiting a couple years and then redo the whole machine with custom.loop i want.

So updated my system.

main upgrades are CPU - Ryzen 5900X
    New CPU cooler - Ek AIO 360 Basic

GPU Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070ti from

Corsair RM 850 watts

Ignore the dust, that can easily be cleaned up, my back wasn't having any of it after putting in the new parts.

Still got to replace 1 fan and add another SSD when I get chance.

And yes, the GPU just clears the HDD by like 1 cm.

For those interested what the GPU looks like form the front

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    My rig

3800xt
    16gb 3200 15cl ram
    3080fe
    Arctic Freezer II
    NZXT H500
    m2 970 evo and an Adata

On a MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Question about your CPU block installation.
    I recently installed a Arctic Freezer II 280 and my CPU block had to be installed with the 'fan' upwards. Kinda freaked me out a bit when I saw your photo and doublechecked the manual. The mounting is actually in there with a big warning not to mount it with the fan facing south.

Did you mount it upside down intentional or am I missing something?

https://support.arctic.de/lf2-360r4

Last edited by Nutri; 2021-07-25 at 09:40 AM.