10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Question about your CPU block installation.
    I recently installed a Arctic Freezer II 280 and my CPU block had to be installed with the 'fan' upwards. Kinda freaked me out a bit when I saw your photo and doublechecked the manual. The mounting is actually in there with a big warning not to mount it with the fan facing south.

Did you mount it upside down intentional or am I missing something?
    The reason they want the fan upwards is so it can cool the VRM. Most modern VRMs on even half-way decent boards don't need, or really even benefit from it unless you're hammering it with a stupidly powerful chip

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The reason they want the fan upwards is so it can cool the VRM. Most modern VRMs on even half-way decent boards don't need, or really even benefit from it unless you're hammering it with a stupidly powerful chip
    I see, thanks for explaining!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Question about your CPU block installation.
    I recently installed a Arctic Freezer II 280 and my CPU block had to be installed with the 'fan' upwards. Kinda freaked me out a bit when I saw your photo and doublechecked the manual. The mounting is actually in there with a big warning not to mount it with the fan facing south.

Did you mount it upside down intentional or am I missing something?

https://support.arctic.de/lf2-360r4

Intentionaly and practical.
    VRM was already low temp on loads and my NVME is down there, so its a NVME cooler now
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally got the missing piece, RX 6900 XT

Complete specs:
    CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
    GPU: RX 6900 XT
    Cooler: Arctic Freeze II 280
    MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550
    Mem: Ballistix 16b, 3600mhz
    PSU: EVGA 850W
    SSD: 512gb & 1024gb Samsung 860
    Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    The 3090 FE + D15 shift proportions a lot, the "92mm fans" are regular 120mm A12x25 fans and they replace the 3090 FE fans completly. 3dmark loop doesnt even start the 3090 FE fans (0 rpm) and maxed wattage ~350W long duration VR gaming keeps the GPU fans at just idle/starting RPM (~800 RPM) so the A12x25 are the ones that manage the GPU temp even at full load.

This is what I get with the hottest game out there, quake2-RTX after soaking for ~45mins.

60°C GPU DIE
    71°C GPU hotspot
    78°C VRAM Tjunction

This is not a stock 3090 but a thermal pad replaced one.
    That's quite nice! I'm considering a similar setup for my 3080, which runs quite hot during games; ~78-80°C

What do I need to buy to mount the fans like that?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    What do I need to buy to mount the fans like that?
    A 5-10€ Dual Fan Mount Rack, PCI Slot Holder for 120mm fans if you want to use 120mm fans. If you got a GPU support bracket that is usable to cable tie fans to it, you could use that aswell to hold fans under the GPU.
    -

A 5-10€ Dual Fan Mount Rack, PCI Slot Holder for 120mm fans if you want to use 120mm fans. If you got a GPU support bracket that is usable to cable tie fans to it, you could use that aswell to hold fans under the GPU.
    Gotcha. This should work right?

You think I should remove the retail GPU fans? Or leave them on? The 3080 is LOUD AF.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

You think I should remove the retail GPU fans? Or leave them on? The 3080 is LOUD AF.
    It makes usually no positive difference if you remove the GPU fans, I would not touch anything. Not the GPU fans not the GPU fan curve. Just improve your case airflow towards the GPU, if you do it propperly the factory fan curve either wont even start the fans (temps to low) or it will hoover at idle RPM. The idea is the overpower the GPU with so much airflow (with low noise of course!) that it remains in the idle/low temperature range.

TLDR: dont touch anything, just improve the airflow around the GPU

If temps are still to high and AMPERE 3080-3090 might be to high with demanding games, its not the airflow anymore its the heat transfer between DIE/VRAM to the GPU cooler itself. The only real solution is to use new (better) thermal pads. Because no matter how much air you move, if the cooler itself doesnt get the heat, the DIE and VRAM temps will remain high.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-08-07 at 10:22 AM.
    -

It makes usually no positive difference if you remove the GPU fans, I would not touch anything. Not the GPU fans not the GPU fan curve. Just improve your case airflow towards the GPU, if you do it propperly the factory fan curve either wont even start the fans (temps to low) or it will hoover at idle RPM. The idea is the overpower the GPU with so much airflow (with low noise of course!) that it remains in the idle/low temperature range.

TLDR: dont touch anything, just improve the airflow around the GPU

If temps are still to high and AMPERE 3080-3090 might be to high with demanding games, its not the airflow anymore its the heat transfer between DIE/VRAM to the GPU cooler itself. The only real solution is to use new (better) thermal pads. Because no matter how much air you move, if the cooler itself doesnt get the heat, the DIE and VRAM temps will remain high.
    I tried it, but maybe the two fans were too low? I didn't put them right under the GPU because I haven't ordered the bracket yet, but in stead had them lean on the PSU shroud of the h510 at about 3-4cm distance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it, but maybe the two fans were too low? I didn't put them right under the GPU because I haven't ordered the bracket yet, but in stead had them lean on the PSU shroud of the h510 at about 3-4cm distance.
    Make sure they can actually breathe

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sounds like they couldn’t breathe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Make sure they can actually breathe
    That makes sense. I ordered a bracket from aliexpress, let's see what's what when they arrive. I still have two NZXT fans but I think I'll just get another two silent wings 3.

Sprayed my MSI 3070 Ti Ventus (£530) - finally build tomorrow if my second vaccination doesn't affect me too much.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

imgur. com/a/l2wBlwu

This is my rig currently.

10900kf overclocked to 5.6GHz All Core as a daily OC
    EVGA z490 Dark Kingpin
    2x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4000 CL14
    RX 6900XT, sometimes RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra or RTX 3090 Kingpin if i do some serious overclocking.

1TB NVMe for System
    2TB NVMe for Games
    4TB SSD for Games and trash

Also using a LG 27GN950 (4k 160Hz), LG 1440p 165Hz and Samsung CRG9 (5120x1440 120Hz) Monitors.

All that shit just for WoW, Hunt and Diablo II lol.
    Last edited by Rngmonster The God; 2021-08-15 at 06:42 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Finally got the time to finish my Purple-White project.

The fluid seems brighter on picture, then it is. It matches the color of the powercables.

Watercooling parts.
    HEATKILLER® IV RTX 2080 acryl ARGB
    EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWM D-RGB - Plexi
    EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
    2x EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)
    EK-Quantum Flow Indicator D-RGB – Nickel
    EK-Quantum Torque HDC 16mm - Nickel
    EK-Quantum Torque Color Ring HDC 16 - Purple
    EK-Quantum Torque Div. adapter
    EK-AF Ball Valve - Nickel
    Alphacool Eisrohr 16/13mm Acryl (PMMA) HardTube Satin 80cm

The powercables are from Cablemods and i need to train the 24pin some more.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Finally got the time to finish my Purple-White project.

The fluid seems brighter on picture, then it is. It matches the color of the powercables.

Watercooling parts.
    HEATKILLER® IV RTX 2080 acryl ARGB
    EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWM D-RGB - Plexi
    EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
    2x EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)
    EK-Quantum Flow Indicator D-RGB – Nickel
    EK-Quantum Torque HDC 16mm - Nickel
    EK-Quantum Torque Color Ring HDC 16 - Purple
    EK-Quantum Torque Div. adapter
    EK-AF Ball Valve - Nickel
    Alphacool Eisrohr 16/13mm Acryl (PMMA) HardTube Satin 80cm

The powercables are from Cablemods and i need to train the 24pin some more.
    Sexy build. Finally another o11 Dynamic XL Build which does not look like every other Lian Li Build. Well done.

I got RGB for days, lol

1st time building a PC, don't kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baza View Post
    I got RGB for days, lol

1st time building a PC, don't kill me.
    I would make the fans on the bottom and side as intake, you just have negative preassure in your case right now. Otherwise it looks great for a 1st time build!

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngmonster The God View Post
    Sexy build. Finally another o11 Dynamic XL Build which does not look like every other Lian Li Build. Well done.
    Thanks.

Yeah way to many XL distroplate builds, so i went with a more traditional build and i don't really like those distroplates.
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2021-08-19 at 04:16 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Finally, here's the new upgrade (5800x/3070 Ti) together in the Define 7 I moved my old system into a year ago:And the old system ended up in this 4000D:
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you just insist on killing your GPUs? Vertical mounting looks good, but it's right up against the glass so the fans get no air