CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
    GPU: RX 6900 XT
    Cooler: Arctic Freeze II 280
    MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550
    Mem: Ballistix 16b, 3600mhz
    PSU: EVGA 850W
    SSD: 512gb & 1024gb Samsung 860
    Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Looking sweet! Love that Artcic cooler, so clean!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Baza View Post
    I got RGB for days, lol

1st time building a PC, don't kill me.
    You can do better with the gpu cables i think. I'd rout them beneath the gpu, this way they're literally in the middle of everything XD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah way to many XL distroplate builds, so i went with a more traditional build and i don't really like does distroplates.
    I have the standard one and plan to do a dual loop for my next build in a couple years. I found that Barrow does a lot of SFF stuff, and especially small "square" res/pump combos, i plan to make use of them a lot.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Do you just insist on killing your GPUs? Vertical mounting looks good, but it's right up against the glass so the fans get no air
    Temps are fine on both. Previously, the 1070 in the Define 7 was getting a little warm because I had the internal panel mounted forwards (for additional drives behind it). With the panel to the rear, airflow is directed towards the GPU both above and below the vented shroud. The 3070 Ti is thicker than the 1070, but it seems quite happy.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Just improve your case airflow towards the GPU, if you do it propperly the factory fan curve either wont even start the fans (temps to low) or it will hoover at idle RPM. The idea is the overpower the GPU with so much airflow (with low noise of course!) that it remains in the idle/low temperature range.
    Well, I did this but the fans still start and go to 70% quite quickly if I don't set-up a custom fan curve. I think this card's firmware just boosts the fans to 70% already at 60 degrees Celsius.

This is my current airflow, should I change anything?

success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If possible move the radiator up top. It’s hard to cool things well when all they’re getting is hot air.
    Unfortunately I can’t move the radiator up top in the NZXT case. But that shouldn’t even matter anyway, considering that the air that’s coming from the radiator is way, way cooler than the GPU. But yeah, if I could have, I would have mounted the radiator there.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Would Pull as opposed to Push make a difference on the front mounted radiator?

What’s your CPU running at? And it’s a lot warmer than your room temp air.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it’ll have no effect on GPU temps.

CPU is about 29°C idle, 40°C during gaming/Unigine Heaven, 65 °C under regular load (e.g. Adobe Premiere Pro) and 78°C max temps reached during prime95 i.i.r.c.

GPU hasn't surpassed 72°C in extreme Unigine Heaven with the Silent Wings 3 @ a constant 1910mhz. The only 'problem' is that those damn things sag a bit and it frustrates me to no end; I had just fixed the GPU sag, for crying out loud.

Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-08-19 at 01:18 PM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I have the standard one and plan to do a dual loop for my next build in a couple years. I found that Barrow does a lot of SFF stuff, and especially small "square" res/pump combos, i plan to make use of them a lot.
    I have been thinking about going dual loop with one i these EK Quantum kinetic flt 120 d5 pwm DRGB plexi
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I have been thinking about going dual loop with one i these EK Quantum kinetic flt 120 d5 pwm DRGB plexi
    That would work, but i'd need to fit it in the exhaust fan (lateral) in the lian li case don't know if this will impact the flow sensibly.

Does this include everything you need for cpu and gpu? Or do you still need to buy stuff like tubing and/or fluid?

edit: never mind, this is only the reservoir. Holy shit, custom loops are expensive.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-08-20 at 06:36 AM.

Do you just insist on killing your GPUs? Vertical mounting looks good, but it's right up against the glass so the fans get no air
    Lol, this was great. In fact the common orientation of graphics cards make no sense. For blower cards it does, for axial fans it doesn't. Just a remnant from when the mainboards were laid flat on the bottom of the case.

The EKWB dual GPU blocks for ampere are in the ~900€ budget for a set (GPU ONLY!!!).

Getting ~5-10°C lower temps as with air cooling alone is something you really have to want. The price is not even the worst part, the constant refilling and cleaning every few months is honestly the most annoying part and it is usually not highlighted enough what you are getting into for the small gains in cooling performance.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    The EKWB dual GPU blocks for ampere are in the ~900€ budget for a set (GPU ONLY!!!).

Getting ~5-10°C lower temps as with air cooling alone is something you really have to want. The price is not even the worst part, the constant refilling and cleaning every few months is honestly the most annoying part and it is usually not highlighted enough what you are getting into for the small gains in cooling performance.
    I think most people don't even do it for the cooling gains, but more for the sound reduction and looks. That said, if you really have to clean and refill every few months I'm out. No way I want to spend so much time maintaining a tool.

Heck, I have a kraken x63 which keeps my overclocked CPU ridiculously cool and doesn't require any maintenance, so why would I even consider a custom loop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I think most people don't even do it for the cooling gains, but more for the sound reduction and looks. That said, if you really have to clean and refill every few months I'm out. No way I want to spend so much time maintaining a tool.

Heck, I have a kraken x63 which keeps my overclocked CPU ridiculously cool and doesn't require any maintenance, so why would I even consider a custom loop?
    I ran my custom loop with only a little bit of refilling (micro bubbles being stuck when I filled meant the water level went down) and no cleaning for over a year
    Loop was still nice and clean. You just need to not use pure water and you're fine

I ran my custom loop with only a little bit of refilling (micro bubbles being stuck when I filled meant the water level went down) and no cleaning for over a year
    Loop was still nice and clean. You just need to not use pure water and you're fine
    Ah okay, that's not too bad then. The only reason I would consider a custom loop is to cool the GPU, which is the only loud part in my pc. That said, I did solve it with the two 120mm fans mounted underneath it. Still, custom loops look good and I'd go for it if it wasn't that much work to install everything.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-08-20 at 04:10 PM.

My last water-cooled gpu was over 20c cooler. I only drained and refilled the loop 3 times in 6 years and never had any issues with buildup or the like.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not really that bad to install all things considered. Just expensive as hell since it’s a niche market.
    Yeah the money doesn't really concern me that much. I just don't like 'wasting' time fiddling around in my PC; I do it once every 3-4 years when I get a new one but it's not like I enjoy the process.

It's because it's fun to do. Expensive? Yes. But when i did my first loop i was so satisfied at the end i'm now constantly checking for new stuff coming out and already planning how to do the new dual loop in my next build.

As for maintenance, if you do it right, you don't really have much to do but to check temps and eventually refill it. You're gonna test it for leaks beforehand, and if you don't have them running the loop like 10 hours you won't have them later on. The failure point is usually the pump, as for AIOs. Just avoid colored coolant if you want total piece of mind.

Edit: EKWB is a boutique store. There are other brands cheaper and equally good or even better.
    Yeah, I get your point. If you like screwing around in your PC it's probably a lot of fun. I don't really enjoy it, well, maybe a little once every 3 or 4 years. I'll probably go for a custom loop in my next pc!

By the way, can someone explain how the GPU clock works? So I undervolted and in Unigine Heaven my GPU runs at a constant 1910mhz with temps between 70 and 79 degrees Celsius. When I play Subnautica Below Zero, I get comparable temps, 76-79 but the clock runs between 1770mhz and 1840mhz. Any idea why it's going down and is this considered throttling or does it have to go even lower to actually be considered throttling?

Thanks!
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-08-20 at 05:58 PM.

It's because it's fun to do. Expensive? Yes. But when i did my first loop i was so satisfied at the end i'm now constantly checking for new stuff coming out and already planning how to do the new dual loop in my next build.

As for maintenance, if you do it right, you don't really have much to do but to check temps and eventually refill it. You're gonna test it for leaks beforehand, and if you don't have them running the loop like 10 hours you won't have them later on. The failure point is usually the pump, as for AIOs. Just avoid colored coolant if you want total piece of mind.

Edit: EKWB is a boutique store. There are other brands cheaper and equally good or even better.

That would work, but i'd need to fit it in the exhaust fan (lateral) in the lian li case don't know if this will impact the flow sensibly.
    There is no need for an exhaust fan in the back.

Well, i can't do this on an AiO, that's why i went custom: https://imgur.com/a/GJ48Zz6
    Last edited by Rngmonster The God; 2021-08-20 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rngmonster The God View Post
    There is no need for an exhaust fan in the back.

Well, i can't do this on an AiO, that's why i went custom: https://imgur.com/a/GJ48Zz6
    That's pretty neat. Is that 5.7ghz on all cores 24/7? If so, you lucked out with a great chip. I could get my pc to boot at 5.4ghz as well. 1.4v iirc, but the moment I stressed it with prime it would crash. Now it's stable at 5.0gigglehurtz on all cores with 8 hours of prime95 AVX.

That's pretty neat. Is that 5.7ghz on all cores 24/7? If so, you lucked out with a great chip. I could get my pc to boot at 5.4ghz as well. 1.4v iirc, but the moment I stressed it with prime it would crash. Now it's stable at 5.0gigglehurtz on all cores with 8 hours of prime95 AVX.
    Yep all 10 Cores 20 Threads but only Cinebench R15, R20 & CPUZ Validation stable. I currently have my CPU at 5.6 GHz at 24/7 which is even prime stable (well, 45 min at least, idk how it would look like when it runs much longer).
    But since my main motherboard is at RMA for 4 months and i can't test further for CPUZ validations, i will buy a new one (Maximus XII Apex or Extreme.. can get both for under 400€). I'm just not sure about RAM OC with the Extreme but i love the OLED Gimmik and 4 M.2 Slots (2 normal M.2 Slots, 2 from Dimm2 but it takes PCIe Lanes from the gpu even tho it doesn't matter) over the Apex (1 normal M.2 Slot, 2 from Dimm2).