Page 1 of 2
LastLast

games in boxes? why?

Does anyone else here think the days of buying games that come in a box which has a CD in it will be over eventually? I'm surprised any company that makes PC games still uses boxes...

With places like direct2drive, steam, and other numerous direct digital download game vendors, wouldn't it make more economic sense to do away with box type distribution? Eliminating store bought boxes could save publishers a lot of money after all. And if not so now, surely eventually the day of buying games in boxes at stores, will end?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

stores like gamestop do ALOT for gaming. its how alot of people find out what games are new, if a game is good, and if a game is bad. If it had not been for gamestop i probably would of never played guitar hero 1, and guitar hero 1 was like 80 bucks brand new when it first came out, no one would of paid for that not knowing if its fun/entertaining. I also personally enjoy a great midnight release, ive been to the WoTLK halo 3 and plan on going to the CATA release, its a great time to socialize with others and see what they have been doing during the last 4 months of boredom that is wow.

Deleted
    Some people have an 80kb/s connection. So yeah, games in boxes are good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes, it's reassuring to actually be able to have a physical purchase in your hands. Kind of like newspapers. Yeah, I can find more up to date news and stuff online, but the smell of the ink... the Sunday funnies... crosswords... Parade. Also, games that come in boxes typically have manuals you can read while you make poo.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

I like to have a physical collection for games. I just like to stare at my wall of games and movies and say "how would i like to entertain myself today"
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

I only buy Steam games in Boxes because:

A) Military Discount
    B) Installs a hell of a lot quicker onto Steam.

Afterwards, the CD is useless and is turned into a Frisby.

I don't feel like spending the next week and a half downloading every game I own after I reformat. So no. Plus why would I buy a game from digital only when it costs the exact same amount as the one in the box that comes with the game manual?

Either way it will not be happening anytime soon. And by anytime soon it will be at least 10 years or more until it actually becomes somewhat popular. The most popular pc game in the world, wow, which you have to play online doesn't even get half of its copies sold online. It won't be happening for consoles for 20-30 years at least. Not to mention very few companies for PC games actually offer digital download. Theres wow and steam, but what else? Nothing major comes to mind. Sure some offer digital content, but thats extra weapons or sometimes a map or level, not the actual game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrac View Post
    I don't feel like spending the next week and a half downloading every game I own after I reformat. So no. Plus why would I buy a game from digital only when it costs the exact same amount as the one in the box that comes with the game manual?

Either way it will not be happening anytime soon. And by anytime soon it will be at least 10 years or more until it actually becomes somewhat popular. The most popular pc game in the world, wow, which you have to play online doesn't even get half of its copies sold online. It won't be happening for consoles for 20-30 years at least. Not to mention very few companies for PC games actually offer digital download. Theres wow and steam, but what else? Nothing major comes to mind. Sure some offer digital content, but thats extra weapons or sometimes a map or level, not the actual game.
    Wow isn't the most popular PC game in the world, even the sims sold more than Wow.

Not as long as there's collector's/prestige editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Wow isn't the most popular PC game in the world, even the sims sold more than Wow.
    I'm talking about actual developed and sold games, not stuff like farmville and the like. I did forget about the sims, but thats not really a suprise as the sims hasn't changed at all since it first came out. The only thing about the sims that changes is the location of the main character you play, everything else stays the same with the same expansion packs being sold each time to. And yet will wright is still considered a 'genius' when he hasn't done anything at all worth mentioning other then the sims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    Does anyone else here think the days of buying games that come in a box which has a CD in it will be over eventually? I'm surprised any company that makes PC games still uses boxes...

With places like direct2drive, steam, and other numerous direct digital download game vendors, wouldn't it make more economic sense to do away with box type distribution? Eliminating store bought boxes could save publishers a lot of money after all. And if not so now, surely eventually the day of buying games in boxes at stores, will end?
    One of my favorite things of a new game is opening the box. Slowly tearing up the plastic around it, hearing the click of the box opening, the smell of the inside and the CD... Just wonderful.

I'm pretty sure there are people out there who think the same way as I do, so I'm pretty sure boxes will still be used in the future.

Deleted
    I'm talking about actual developed and sold games, not stuff like farmville and the like. I did forget about the sims, but thats not really a suprise as the sims hasn't changed at all since it first came out. The only thing about the sims that changes is the location of the main character you play, everything else stays the same with the same expansion packs being sold each time to. And yet will wright is still considered a 'genius' when he hasn't done anything at all worth mentioning other then the sims.
    I didn't mean the series, just the first sims.

I always buy the Physical version with the cover and manual etc if it's available. Why would they go over to only digital purchase? Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Not everybody have good connection to download game faster then go to the market and buy CD with this game. But Blizzard made very interesting and good system for this kind of people. So, I think that CD's will be in past when every gamer will have good connection to the internet.
    But at the same time it's sad that everything becoming virtual.
    Last edited by Romanoff; 2010-11-28 at 04:20 PM.

Deleted
    Oh and as a marketing professional I'd say that my opinion about the video games not going all out to the internet sales is due to the fact that some people needs the product to be more tangible than something digital. As times change I bet they will try to shift the rest of the masses to the digital downloads but they can't just give it up at once.

For the people who buy the real copies of the games it's a marketing advantage for the company to have the real copies.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet will wright is still considered a 'genius' when he hasn't done anything at all worth mentioning other then the sims.
    SimCity? At least the ones up to SC4 were great, Societies was a let down compared to the rest.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

May sound ridiculous but it is more exciting to have something you can touch so to speak, plus the packaging is always exciting....
    >_>

Deleted
    I think games in boxes will always have there day....as the demand is still around for them.
    Its like CD's - people still buy CD's over digital downloads.

Let me rephrase that a little - as long as man still has the 'I want it NOW, not tommorow NOW' values and morales, physical copies will always have a place. Some people just don't want to wait for a game to download onto their PC or console. They literally want to put the disc in, load it up and play.

You've also got to consider there are still places in the US and Europe that are nowhere near as advance in internet speeds - so a 3 GB download of a game that would take me, say.....20 minutes to download on my 50Mbps line, could take another days on their 2mb line. People don't want to wait for something they've purchased....they want it now...

and then theres always the arguement of, what happens if you're hard drive corrupts....its quicker to reinstall most games via the disc, than redownloading.

The only digital games I buy are from steam when they have awesome sales. Everything else I buy a physical copy of. I am sort of a collector though.

My connection speed is pretty slow(1.5mb.) So, having the physical copy is much more convenient if I need to re-install for some reason. I also like having the "collection."
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.