Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    You act like ret tanking is bad at low levels. Pre 4.0.1 ret tanking was better until 40ish because you don't take much damage like prot and you can deal a lot more damage than prot.
    If you think ret paladins can do more dps than prot paladins you have been grouping with bad prot paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    If you think ret paladins can do more dps than prot paladins you have been grouping with bad prot paladins.
    YOU have been grouping with bad paladins. Either that, or the prot really out geared the ret. Or AoE was involved. But single target, a good ret will out dps a good prot of equal gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    YOU have been grouping with bad paladins. Either that, or the prot really out geared the ret. Or AoE was involved. But single target, a good ret will out dps a good prot of equal gear.
    At 80 yes, 60+ maybe, 59 and under you will not out dps a tank unless they are stupid. Every group 20-60 since 4.0 I have out dpsed everyone when tanking as both a druid and warrior and been beaten by many good tanks while filling dps spot.

Im currently leveling my 5th Tank
    Paladin, Druid, DK, DK and now Warrior.
    DPS ninja pulls, Hits mobs you didnt hit yet. Randomly start AOE
    Fears, Deathcoils, stunns, knockbacks everything.
    yes its all about the tanks.
    on my dk i got 100's of OMG another dk tank and eventually ended up with anything from awesome till not bad mr dk tank.
    But now ppl blame me for their own stupidity. Just a min ago someone pulled a whole room by using thunderstorm, i died all died, blamed me.. why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    No...you misunderstood me, I let them die if they pull ahead of me. This has nothing to do with threat. If a dps over aggros, I will take it back for sure. But if they pull mobs themselves, without me, then they're on their own.[COLOR="red"]
    Ok ya I completely agree with you on that.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Farron View Post
    Like most of you, I am currently enjoying levelling my shiny new alt, but now at 56 i have lost the will to level.

Since i first started instances at 15, there seems to be a certain aura of noobishness around the tanks I am with, be it ret paladins still trying to tank, people pulling half the instance and expecting to live, but the worst by far is happening in UBRS. UBRS is now a 5 man dungeon as well, and I have now done 5 runs and in each of them the tank has pulled all the whelps either in the whelp room or on the Rend fight, lol'd, then left.

Anyone else experiencing this or am I just unlucky? feel free to leave more examples of your dumb tank moments.
    It only gets worse after 60. At that point dps start catching up to tanks which means you can't produce so much threat they never catch you. On top of this you get DKs and you can bet on having one in every single pug. Generally Dks are the worst players I have seen. I don't know what it is about this class that attracts morons but man its bad. They will try to tank while not using a tank setup, even if asked to change. They will dps in a tank setup even when asked to stop. They will deathgrip everything in sight. They will pull constantly, they will have a pet that they send in when you are trying to los a pull. They will drop dnd before you get to the pull. If there is anything they could do to make an instance slower they will.

Back in vanilla and tbc I used to complain about bad players, and I wish I could take it all back. I would take those bad over the wotlk bads any day of the week. These people suck in a way that I feel requires you to try to be bad. For example I had a MM hunter who was nearly out dpsed by his own pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Ok ya I completely agree with you on that.
    Amen. If a DPS is cocky enough or impatient enough to initiate pulls on their own, I think all tanks should let them tank. The exception to this would obviously be if the tank was cool with it, aware what was going on, and was able to control all of the aggro after the pull. This would be a good way to speed up instances, with ranged DPS pulling mobs to the tank so he could pick them up to save time of the tank backpeddling all over the place.

For the most part though, DPS who feel they are too 1337 to wait for the tank to initiate pulls, only cause the run to take longer. Aggro gets put all over, and coming from a healer's POV, often on us if we decide to try and keep the moronic DPS alive. Mobs are running all over, heals are spread out, and there are so many mobs it's unlikely DPS will focus on the target they should be on. Of course I'd like to just let the DPS that intentionally tank die, but sometimes it's not worth the QQ that will ensue afterwards.

Whatever happened to DPS staying behind the tank too? I miss those days, when the tank actually lead the charge. I was in a Strat run today on my priest and DPS kept walking right out into mobs, or backing up into things while the tank was getting ready for the next pull. >.<

While leveling my Warrior via sole instance tanking (He's 60 atm), I basically had one thing I told any DPS too damn eager to pull:

"You let me pull, or you can kick me. You wait for a new tank, I re-queue right away, and in less time, have a group again. Take your pick."

Not one group kicked me the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    You seem like the type of tank who blames every little issue on the dps. You shouldn't let a dps die because they shrunk your epeen and pulled off you, build better threat, l2 tab target.
    Feign Death has a 25 second cooldown, soulshatter has a 2 minute cooldown, taunt has an 8 second cooldown. Think.
    I have Skull, X, and Square keybound and if I feel the need to focus a certain target, I will not hesitate to mark my kill order. I know what mobs I want to die first, and which don't pose a great threat to me or the party. DPSers (the ones that do randoms at least), as a rule, ignore my marks. Sure, on the rare occasion that a DPS actually can manage to pull threat off me (which won't happen except for the first few seconds of a fight anyways) while following my kill order, I won't hesitate to taunt. Otherwise, I don't have a problem letting them die. It's not about epeen, it's about teaching people their place so that they can contribute to the greatest benefit. The tank is the leader, DPS and Healers are followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    hi I am a tank, lvl 53 atm, and I have yet to see fail tanking only fail healing and fail dpsing...

on a more serious note, maybe u are just unlucky or ppl don't realise that the dungeons got a bit harder than pre 4.0.3a as for the whelp room thing I haven't gotten there yet so I dunno how hard they hit... I know though that in DM at the big ogre guy that summons 2 guys when u bring him to half hp or so(forget name) if u don't use costume to get by him he's a bitch to tank due to fear and him hitting like a truck xD and that was the hardest boss I've fought so far while leveling this toon...
    ^This

I'm tanking with my troll druid and I am doing more DPS than the dps. Dps need to step up to the plate and learn how to dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentile911 View Post
    ^This

I'm tanking with my troll druid and I am doing more DPS than the dps. Dps need to step up to the plate and learn how to dps.
    The ones you're beating on single target might, but the majority of DPS don't have their more powerful AoE abilities until much later on, whereas tanks have the ability to deal consistent damage to everything be it from cleaves or otherwise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    I ran into the WORST set of warriors ever the other day.
    I'm extremely geared to be running heroics on my shadow/disc priest, I'm really just there out of complete
    boredom and justice point farming for Cata.

So anyways, group was doing fine, pally tank had to go raid, whatever thats cool, we got a new tank named Wipes from Hyjal.
    What a tool.
    He had about 40k hitpoints so obviously he wasn't just there for the shits, but as soon as he gets there he starts barking orders to everyone even though clearly 3/5 people there had obvious experience considering the healer, a shaman, was very geared, me as a shadow priest was very geared, the mage was very geared, the only one who wasn't really prepared was a rogue who was only pulling 3k and was there for gear, but really was no hampering.
    So, the warrior starts losing aggro (we're on that stretch just after Krick and Ick in H PoS with the dbags on the ramp) and I get aggro.
    I'm dispersed so I'm not really taking any aggro, and I'm standing practically ON the tank waiting for him to pull off me, he doesnt, I hit fade and to my dismay it doesn't get aggro off me from everything, so after about 7 seconds of waiting for the tank to do something, I booked it.
    Did I survive? Yes, was the tank pissed? You have no idea.
    "STAY NEAR THE TANK IF YOU GET AGGRO JESUS" was his word for word.
    I rolled my eyes, and didn't say anything.
    Next we're going up the path outside the cave and all of a sudden theres an attempt to kick the rogue, the reason given was "low dps."
    We all clicked "no" and turned to the tank who had obviously intiated it.
    We told him, "we're not kicking the rogue, yeah his dps is low because hes here to get gear, and we're all more than compensating for him. We're not at risk of wiping or not getting this down quickly, just leave him be."
    Anyways, the warrior took this as an affront and starting freaking out at us, people were starting to get pissed at him and the flame wars began.
    After a snide comment from mage and I, the warrior berated everyone, told the shaman (who was HEALING) that her dps was also disgustingly low, pulled a group and disappeared. We all died.
    What an anus.

Next tank was Blackmetal from Nogannon, who again started ranting about the rogue's dps. We all said "not again" and told her we had more than enough dps to compensate, she didn't believe us,
    so in a fit of range the mage and I pulled 11k, the rogue pulled 4k, the shaman squeezed out 4k, and the warrior pulled a 1k (This was on the last boss).
    We glared, the warrior said "Yeah cause DPS in heroics is serious buisness, you bunch of bads." and left.
    Favourite part was that she was complaining the DPS was low in a heroic, then decided it was silly to think of it as serious when the shoe was on the other foot.
    Rage.
    Not that I don't completely agree with you, but I don't think it's a particularly good idea to name the players you're talking about. Iirc, naming and shaming is kind of frowned upon on these boards. Again, just a thought.

I'm a tank myself, so thankfully I rarely find myself in these situations, but it still ticks me off that so many tanks think they're god's gift to players and everyone has to do as they say just because they're low in supply and can basically ruin a heroic by leaving. Kind of gives people a negative view of tanks in general.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    nothing worse than a bad tank

but, who cares, it could be worse, you could have thrush.

In regards to DPS not pulling their weight, My warrior, from the moment he learnt Revenge, was untouchable for DPS, from like level 20 to 50. I had 1-2 DPSers beat me in any pull or dungeon as a whole, and they were heirloom'd as I was.

Deleted
    wth is wrong with 4k dps ina HC now?? wtf we went there with half the dps when they came out and ppl still steamrolled em. Oo

Must have been a bad day for those tanks.

I can't say i've been doing much instances as DPS nor healer lately, as i've leveld with a friend as a Blood DK.

When i tank, i make sure not to pull more then what is needed, and what the healer (my friend, a druid) can handle.
    I also try to always have a AoE spell available if we are tanking close to multiple packs, and our current targets got knockback efects.
    I also try to be kind, helpfull and supportive as i go through dungeons.

Why, you ask?
    To make this game a better experience for everyone.
    Cataclysm = CTC | Icecrown Citadel = IC | | CLASSIC, not vanilla |

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember a particular group I had with my shaman alt within the last month or two as I was leveling. I got into Hellfire Ramparts as a healer. The first few pulls before the first boss went smoothly enough. About halfway between the entrance and the boss, the tank dings. He then proceeds to pull everything else from that point, up to and including the boss, and as I'm frantically trying to heal this dumbass, he drops group right then and there. Well needless to say, after that happened the mobs make a beeline for me and the rest of the group. I couldn't believe what I'd just witnessed. Are there really these types of players out there? Are there people so self-centered, just riding on a group's back for those last couple of bars of experience, and instead of just dropping group, they actually prefer to pull half the instance at one time, and then drop group? I was even more pissed off to find out that I couldn't add this guy to my ignore list, so I would never have to group with him again. I've been able to ignore other players cross-realm before, but not this one, I guess. Maybe he deleted the character right afterward or something.

It left me with an unsettling feeling about the state of this game. There seems to be more and more people trying to ride the coattails of other players, whether it's to gain that next level, piece of gear, or some other kind of "status", in increasingly selfish ways. Instead of working in cooperation with others, helping the group as a whole, there are some that seem to just use others, or worse, purposefully make others' experiences worse. We gave this tank no reason to act the way he did. My main had been a tank for quite some time, but I hope I never acted like this, as if the group revolved around me, and I could just do whatever I wanted without regard for others having a good time. I like to think that I helped others enjoy their time in the game, and not make it hell for them, or pursue my own selfish gains at the expense of others.

This particular experience just made me sad. But we don't live in a perfect world. There are a lot of jerks out there in the real world too, that don't give a crap about you or me and will even go out of their way to make our lives a living hell.

/rant

10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Name, name.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Next tank was NAME REMOVED from REALM REMOVED, who again started ranting about the rogue's dps. We all said "not again" and told her we had more than enough dps to compensate, she didn't believe us,
    so in a fit of range the mage and I pulled 11k, the rogue pulled 4k, the shaman squeezed out 4k, and the warrior pulled a 1k (This was on the last boss).
    We glared, the warrior said "Yeah cause DPS in heroics is serious buisness, you bunch of bads." and left.
    Favourite part was that she was complaining the DPS was low in a heroic, then decided it was silly to think of it as serious when the shoe was on the other foot.
    Rage.
    Gotta remove the name + server, else you might get a ban.

OT: It's happening everywhere. There are some people who just wants to do the things on their own way. I myself am a tank/healer/dps, and I have never wanted anything bad to happen with my groups. I tank the things needed to tank, and as one of the tanks' job; I pick up mobs attacking the group. As a healer; I heal everyone, taking tank prio while I still try to keep the dps alive. As a Dps, I use Misdirect (As Hunter) on the tank if needed, I stop dealing damage (as Mage) to make the tank gain aggro. These are the lesser things which if excecuted properly makes the group whole and function.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2010-11-28 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added info related to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    You act like ret tanking is bad at low levels. Pre 4.0.1 ret tanking was better until 40ish because you don't take much damage like prot and you can deal a lot more damage than prot.
    During 3.x patches, ret was THE tanking spec in lowbie dungeons up to northend (where incoming damage forced into prot + divine plea allowed it). Judgements of the Wise was way too good for tanking to keep up the speed.
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moohmooh View Post
    wth is wrong with 4k dps ina HC now?? wtf we went there with half the dps when they came out and ppl still steamrolled em. Oo

Must have been a bad day for those tanks.
    This. Back then, 2k dps was the norm in heroics, sometimes 2.5k. What is it with people who think 10k dps is normal in heroics? Heroics are meant to be done in ilvl 187 gear, not ilvl 277
    NOW THEN, QQ-ERS, TROLLS AND MORONS, PEOPLE WITH BRAINS, ENTERTAIN ME WITH YOUR FLAMEWARS!

(Property of Andok's Gnome-Torturing Emporium)