15+ Year Old Account

RIP Irvin Kershner

Director Irvin Kershner who made the best of the Star Wars movies has passed away today.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...aa399dde9a.5f1

Deleted
    Rip

There goes my childhood...

Now theres no hope for another good Star Wars movie now that George Lucus has full control.
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

Quote Originally Posted by treston323 View Post
    There goes my childhood...

Now theres no hope for another good Star Wars movie now that George Lucus has full control.
    He always had full control. He created the franchise. Not to mention he is the one that wrote the story/screenplay for the original trilogy in the first place. It should also be noted that the clone wars cartoon is doing pretty well, and is very well done, and lucas has full control over that.

Its not like it matters anyway as lucas said he isn't going to make any more star wars movies. I know you will then just come in and say money will change his mind, but he already knows making another trilogy will make billions and he still doesn't want to. Besides, a new movie would have to take place at least 50 years after return of the jedi because of all the books and video games. It would be really stupid to just completely invalidate all of that with one movie.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrac View Post
    He always had full control. He created the franchise. Not to mention he is the one that wrote the story/screenplay for the original trilogy in the first place. It should also be noted that the clone wars cartoon is doing pretty well, and is very well done, and lucas has full control over that.

Its not like it matters anyway as lucas said he isn't going to make any more star wars movies. I know you will then just come in and say money will change his mind, but he already knows making another trilogy will make billions and he still doesn't want to. Besides, a new movie would have to take place at least 50 years after return of the jedi because of all the books and video games. It would be really stupid to just completely invalidate all of that with one movie.
    Actually Lucas has stated he plans to create a third trilogy on events well after the Original Trilogy after Episode I-VI are rereleased in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    Actually Lucas has stated he plans to create a third trilogy on events well after the Original Trilogy after Episode I-VI are rereleased in 3D.
    Source? I have seen him say multiple times there won't be a third and it was always intended to be a six part saga.

If it is actually true that there will be another three set well after the original trilogy then I think it will be lucas taking into account the extended universe books and games and validating them all officially, since some people like to pretend that the extended universe isn't 'real' not seeming to realize that over 90% of the star wars universe wouldn't exist then. I think we would also see in film the death of luke as well. In one of the comics set a 130 years after yavin we see luke as the ghost specter thing that obi-wan and yoda appeared as. What hasn't been told so far is when luke actually dies and how.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrac View Post
    They'll do whatever makes money.

RIP Irvin. Empire was by far the best.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was wrong. It currently is a rumor but it is likely that the profits of the 3D re release of the previous trilogies could easily generate funding for a new trilogy. You also need to remember that Lucas had originally said the exact same thing from 1983 on that there were going to be no new Star Wars films after Return of the Jedi until it became evident in the mid 90s that Lucas was preparing for a prequel trilogy.

Jesus - I hope he doesn't.

Just to make a point - Empire is commonly percieved as the best sequel ever made, only really challanged by The Godfather 2. This is in no small part down to Kershner's direction. Lucas may have written the original script, but the nuances which make it such a great film are Kershner's.

Sadden by his death.
    Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother.