Thread: Feedback on Rig

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feedback on Rig

Built a new rig about 3 weeks ago and want some feedback from the community on things to look to replace or should have done different

Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD

CPU - Amd Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition 3.2 overclocked to 4.2 currently

Power - XION Power Real XON-1100P14HE 1100W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 / SSI 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Tower - Cooler Master Haf X with 4 200mm fans and 1 160mm fan

Gpu - 2x hd6870 both slight overclock still working on settings and clocks finding the best balance with heat

Ram - 16 gigs G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

Water cool kit -
    pump - Swiftech MCP655-B 1/2in. Water Pump
    radiator - Koolance 3x120mm High-Flow Copper Radiator
    reservoir - http://frozenqpcmods.com/Images/lf%20blue%20250.jpg tvirus resevoir
    water block - Swiftech Apogee GTZ Water Block

hard drive - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1CCA 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

im thinking about adding another water loop for my video cards but will prolly wait till i upgrade them to the new 6970s when they come out but im looking for feedback on my weak parts etc

Thanks!

***edit*** i use this for more then just gaming, i do video editing and rendering along with graphic work, i do run eyefinity across 3x 2560x1600 30" apple displays
    Last edited by Flcrewpolo; 2010-11-30 at 03:18 PM.

Considering the amount of money you put on the system, you should've bought i7-950 or i7-980x instead of AMD. It gives more power with practically same amount of money. Bit too late now but you asked for comments.

I'm not gonna comment on any of the overkills which you have plenty to spare, but I will recommend against watercooling the current cards. Those aren't that high end yet, and you should pick up either GTX580's or wait for R6970's instead.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    If the PC is for wow
    1)AMD 965 quad core is enough
    2)GPUs are pure overkill
    3)RAM is more than enough could have gone with 8 gigs

Nice build tho

the reason i went with the amd 1090t is i wanted a 6 core for video editing and rendering i do for work a lot of the other parts i got huge discounts on through my partnership with my company and newegg so total this didnt cost me 2 much plus i hate hate hate paying for intel name lol

thanks for quick reply

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Considering the amount of money you put on the system, you should've bought i7-950 or i7-980x instead of AMD. It gives more power with practically same amount of money. Bit too late now but you asked for comments.

I'm not gonna comment on any of the overkills which you have plenty to spare, but I will recommend against watercooling the current cards. Those aren't that high end yet, and you should pick up either GTX580's or wait for R6970's instead.
    The 950 is about 70$ more and then the 980x is 760$ more....not just how thats around the same price but ok....

And about the 6870s not being highend...well thats true but they would still probably beast through most things out there
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaV View Post
    The 950 is about 70$ more and then the 980x is 760$ more....not just how thats around the same price but ok....

And about the 6870s not being highend...well thats true but they would still probably beast through most things out there
    On $5k system $70 or $700 is a rounding error really :P

And the things that beat 6870 and are current sold in stores?

-Radeon 5870
    -Radeon 5890
    -Radeon 5870x2
    -GTX480
    -GTX580

6870 is midrange card, not even close to high end.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

6870s are placeholders till 6970s are available and the rig isnt close to 5k lol i spent 2k =p

What I was meaning was the two 6870s would beast through most games still not other cards
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

correct as the 6870s are a higher end of the midrange level cards once the the 6970s and 6990s *70s are single gpu 90s are dual gpu*

2x 6870s crossfire will out perform a lot of single high end cards currently however wow is not optimized for crossfire so i actually loose fps currently on ultra settings with crossfire enabled which makes me a sad panda[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2010-11-30 at 04:01 PM ----------

anyone else running crossfire having a drop in FPS vs disabling crossfire? i believe its a problem with 10.10 catalyst driver but not positive if anyone has feedback on this that would be great
    Last edited by Flcrewpolo; 2010-11-30 at 04:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Things you should have done different:
    -Not water cooled the system.
    -Not bought a 10k HDD
    -Don't watercool anything else
    -Not bought it prebuilt

Things you should do:
    -Get a new PSU
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    If it was for video editing/production and I had that kind of money, I would have went with a single GPU and got a 4x 15k rpm SAS array in that sucker.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If it was for video editing/production and I had that kind of money, I would have went with a single GPU and got a 4x 15k rpm SAS array in that sucker.
    And you would have wasted your money...10k and 15k drives are a waste with SSD's on the market.
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have 15k's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any reason as to that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not much performance difference for a production environment, although the SSD would win for small read/writes. Longetivity is probably the biggest factor. An SSD cannot match a 15k spindle drive in lifetime in a heavy I/O thrashing environment. They would wear out pretty fast, especially in a RAID array with redundancy.

And have you heard a 4 drive SAS 15k array running? It's orgasmic. xD

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    -Not bought a 10k HDD
    -Not bought it prebuilt

Things you should do:
    -Get a new PSU
    All of this, with special emphasis on getting a new PSU. I tried searching for legitimate reviews of that Xion unit and couldn't find any. On top of that $110 for an 1100 watt unit throws up its own red flag so I really wouldn't trust it. And don't say "oh, but the user reviews on newegg say it's pretty good!" because users can't/don't test ripple and voltage regulation, both of which are very important factors when looking for a good PSU.

15+ Year Old Account
    You know you can write the entire contents of an SSD to the drive daily and it will still last ~10 years? The lifetime for a HDD in a production environment is 5 years.

No Noise + Faster > Noise + Slower

-Not bought a 10k HDD
    -Not bought it prebuilt

Things you should do:
    -Get a new PSU
    i do plan on changing the power supply at some point, i had that PSU in the house from a old build so i tossed it in, hince why im asking for feedback =)

its not a prebuilt, i did the build my self ordering from several sites and some parts were given to me by my company, i do get a discount through newegg so most parts were ordered from there but i pay no attention to newegg reviews, generally people at newegg are idiots "Generally!! not always"

i enjoy the water cool personally, my temps overclocked right now are running great

the hdd raptor drive is mainly for storage of my video files, i have 3-4 separate hdds for work etc my ssd has the os and my main games installed on it again the raptor is purely for my gaming fraps files

And you would have wasted your money...10k and 15k drives are a waste with SSD's on the market.
    Not when you can buy them on Ebay for a fraction of the cost same with raptor drives SCSI etc.
    Can the Op post apic I have a hard time believing anyone on here since that one guy Jiran iirc.
    Last edited by Dethh; 2010-11-30 at 06:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    eBay maybe, but I just refer to Newegg as my reference point.

And why is a pic needed? He's asking for suggestions, who cares if he's lying or not. If he is, then he is; if he's not then he's not.