Thread: Running faster

15+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Running faster

Currently planning on upgrading my computer. This is my computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1841799

This is the graphics card I want: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/VisionTe...ract_desc=null

I have 1.93gb of RAM right now. My fps is around 8-10 in Dalaran and other cities, and doesn't improve much anywhere else. It sounds terrible, but it's not toooo bad. Anyway, I was wondering whether I should be getting more RAM and a graphics card, or just one. Also, other suggestions for video cards: not above $200 please, and how much RAM should I be getting?

Edit: sorry, I wasn't sure another place to ask.
    2: added a more descriptive website about my computer.
    Last edited by Tethrys; 2010-12-01 at 12:36 AM.
    "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." - Andrew Ryan

You are CPU limited and need a new system. The card you selected is not a gaming card.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, well don't I feel stupid. Should I just build a system from scratch or buy a premade one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tethrys View Post
    Oh, well don't I feel stupid. Should I just build a system from scratch or buy a premade one?
    Premade is rarely the answer, as the brandnames (usually) cheaps on parts and sell the name.

Where I live (Sweden), you can usually get away with cheaper AND better at the same time by building your own. You also have control about what goes in, and better customisability.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hm. Well I guess I'll use that guide on the front page.. /sigh

Hm. Well I guess I'll use that guide on the front page.. /sigh
    You don't *have* to use that on the front page. But if you do, browse around a little bit and see where you can find the parts cheapest. i.e. newegg, tigerdirect, etc.

A custom will always be better than a prebuilt, and you'll know a lot more about computers by making a custom built rig.

15+ Year Old Account
    True. Well given my current computer, what can I do to improve it? Obviously I need a new CPU..but I don't really understand it all. Not a huge guy on building computers. Hence why I'd have my friend do it for me. But is there anything I can keep/use? My current mouse/monitor/keyboard are just fine, but besides that?

Hence why I'd have my friend do it for me. But is there anything I can keep/use? My current mouse/monitor/keyboard are just fine, but besides that?
    If you can't, having a friend do it is a very good idea.
    The only non-awful part I saw was your DVD, and that's not precisely state-of-the-art either.
    Nothing else. I'm sorry. Also, I'd rather ask people here about a more custom build than the assemblied builds on the frontpage.
    Although built by chaud (who posted the first reply) they are very generalized, and not customized for you.
    State us YOUR needs and YOUR budget, and we can come with recommendations.

IMO.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2010-12-01 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Choice o' words.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure, around $500-650 probably. My friend uses this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+AT...9254585&st=ati
    and says it works pretty well. I'd like to keep everything in the average price range but have good fps. That's my main problem right now.

Edit: What about this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Fac...&skuId=1620475 ?
    Plus the graphics card above.
    Last edited by Tethrys; 2010-12-01 at 01:44 AM.

I'm not sure, around $500-650 probably. My friend uses this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+AT...9254585&st=ati
    and says it works pretty well. I'd like to keep everything in the average price range but have good fps. That's my main problem right now.

Edit: What about this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Fac...&skuId=1620475 ?
    Plus the graphics card above.
    No. that's all old hardware. You can make a build around $500-650 with a phenom II processor and at the least a 5770 or a GTX460 768mb card which would give you pretty solid fps.

Yes, he does have old hardware. I can easily build you a nice one for least $800. You want the right stuff for the right price. YOU have to SPEND extra cash to have a nice PC that does not require upgrading for least 2-3yrs and give you a great satisfaction when you use it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, a little pricey. I just need to know what pieces I should buy in that price range. And I don't need anything spectacular. 30-50 fps is what I'm assuming I'd get with that price. Besides WoW, my computer consists of iTunes, Firefox, and Photoshop. So I don't need a ton of things when I have a barebones computer.

I do have a PC set up for you it is pricey but it does a good fit for you. I can't post any Links because I'm still new I guess.

I can do also a lower end that will be maybe like less than $650? but I don't know. Need to build another one lol.
    Last edited by Manubrium; 2010-12-01 at 03:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The lower end would be nice, lol. I don't need any new technology either. Just something to run well enough. My friend's computer may be "old" but he still runs like 40 fps constantly. So it doesn't matter too much.

OT: I think links take like 10 posts to do.

Although Direct 11x would be nice though.

Check out Kripparrian's Super Value Build if you want a super-low price gaming computer that can run 40 or so FPS at high/ultra settings and 1080p.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where could I find this?

The thing is, I always recommend people to spend at least over $700 and under $1000. The build is mostly future upgrade proof for about 5 or more years if you know how to take care of your Computer, but this is my belief. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh..you have a point. I don't have the money to spend though, haha.

Where could I find this?
    I'm too lazy to find it, but it should be in the first 5 pages or so. Search for "Super value" or something like that and it should pop up.

15+ Year Old Account
    I found it, thanks for the suggestion! Definitely looking at this.
    I currently have this as a power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371007
    The one he linked is cheaper, so would I be able to keep my current one/is it better?