The Motorcycle Diaries

It's about Che Guevara and his road trip around South America with one of his friends before he became a General in the revolution. He goes to leprosy villages and stuff.

8/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Last DVD movie I saw:
    Robin Hood: men in tights

It's Mel Brooks. It is quite comedic with some good ideas behind it, some great talent, and some awesome songs as well. Just at times it is rather slow with a couple dull jokes that take too long (The mobster/Giovanni part in particular felt like a drag).
    8/10

Last theatre movie I saw: (Cheating a little. the last one I saw was the avengers, but that is already obviously breaking the scale, so one more back...)

John Carter of Mars.
    I liked this movie. It was fun, with some cool action and some pretty cool visuals.
    As for the plot... People claim that it is "unoriginal..." Yet John Carter the book came out almost a century before modern science fiction incorporated the ideas in the book into the genre. John Carter isn't unoriginal, it IS the original.
    Though I will agree the execution is a little flawed... At times it feels rushed, or things seem to have no purpose (for example, the guy that frees John Carter when they are at Helium (or the other place I can't remember which), there is no reason for him to exist except to free john carter, which could've been done by him just breaking out himself after knocking out his captor or something.) But those can be blamed on the directors inexperience with live action (It was the director for many of pixar's films. Not the guy who made cars, the guy who has made only good stuff) or a poorly made script.
    But honestly, I hope that we see a John carter level in a kingdom hearts game one day. ^^
    8/10

P.S. I should also note you should go into john carter with a high suspension of disbelief, and the willingness to have fun watching it.
    A simple change that can improve the female worgen:
    http://tinypic.com/r/1zq7p0g/7

10+ Year Old Account
    Men in Black 3 9/10 and the best one of the series so far it had plenty of everything(well except romance but I don't really care about that :P)

Snow White and the Huntsmen 8/10

15+ Year Old Account
    Snow White and the Huntsman. 7/10 An entertaining typical Hollywood movie. "New twist on the fairy tale my arse" It ended the same way, give me a twist that really does twist it and give us an ending we all want, but would never expect! 10/10 for the credits. Florence and the Machine - Breathe of Life was amazing, sure hope that gets nominated for something this year.

MIB 3 I'd say 8.5/10. I liked it a lot. If you have an extra 5 bucks for a matinee this week. I would recommend seeing it. A lot better than MIB 2.

Snow White and the Huntsman 6.1/10 - At first I didn't know to much what to make of it, I will say I enjoyed seeing the movie. Would I go see it again? No, but that doesn't say much since I rarely see a movie twice in the theaters. Kristin Stewart really shouldn't have been Snow White, a different actor should have, who? No idea just not her, she annoyed me most the movie. However Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth stole the show, and it's worth going to see just to see their well done performances. However two actors doing really well in a movie doesn't remove all of its flaws, yet the movie isn't that bad, and it is actually pretty good if you can get past Kristin Stewart. I liked the movie, it was done well, and was enjoyable, and much better than most Hollywood summer films. Worth the see if you have already seen The Avengers and Men in Black 3, if you haven't don't bother see one of those instead.

Deleted
    Prometheus 8.5/10
    Despite the fact that I have not watched any of the Alien films I found this rather interesting. I went to see it in 3D and while in some areas it was good but for the rest of the film I don't see why it was filmed in 3D. I do understand the fact that there are complaints about realism in certain scenes, but it is a horror film with aliens in the future, so I don't see why realism is so focused on. The ending does set the stage for a sequel, which I hope will be as interesting as this one. For someone who does not usually enjoy this genre, it kept me entertained and interested throughout the film.

Deleted
    Eden Lake 7/10

This movie was pretty intense despite the fact the kids have to bring horror. It starts very slow but once it has started the movie is kindoff pretty shocking.

Jackie Brown 9/10

The simple suspension of Ordell (Samuel L. Jackson) being able to shoot anyone at anytime is enough. Add good shots, music and a good plot and it gives me a 9.

Cass

Prometheus 7/10

Visuals were great, however, I found the movie lacking bit of a story element due to many of "cheesy holywood one-liners" and characters.

However, anyone of my friends who had not matched the Alien were really satisfied with the movies. So my observation may be my plagued by focusing too much on trying to connect points from Alien series.

Deleted
    The Raid:Redemption. Best action movie I've seen in a few years. Non-stop fast and brutal violence. Def a 9/10

Deleted
    Iron Sky

2/10

This movie was horrible. Now, there a lot of movies with nazis and stuff, but this one truly had some potential. That said, it was crap. It was horrible. The humour was garbage even by bad show standards and the fact that in the last 10-15 movie the writers tried to turn it from a horrible comedy into a drama only made it worse. That said, those last 15 min are what gives it even the 2, otherwise it would have gotten a 1. It's just bad, I like SF movies and stuff, but this was just horrible, it was bad pun after bad pun all over the place, so it gets those two points from the last 10-15 min, the only acceptable part and for the idea, which had such a great potential, without these it would have gotten 0. It gets points removed for everything else, the script, the puns, the mash of comedy and drama, the stereotypes, the music, the actors, just horrible.

Deleted
    Prometheus. 4/10

Huge disappointment. Michael Fassbender makes it watchable, the rest is just a huge pile of junk.

Deleted
    The Avengers

4/10

Deleted
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 1/10

Worst piece of shit ive seen this year. Really, REALLY horrible. Im depressed for the time i spent on this movie since
    i wont ever get that time back.

I warn you all, dont see it. Spare yourself the pain.

Prometheus (Imax 3D) - 7/10

A great sci-fi movie. As others have said, it creates more questions than answers. I personally liked it a lot, the 3D effects were mind blowing, the scale and intensity of the action scenes were amazing. However, it *does* have a lot of flaws. Most of the acting is good and the scares are pretty effective, the tension mounts quite nicely as you just know *something* is going to happen. The whole film breezed past and didn't feel like it had been on for more than 90 minutes; I could've easily watched another hours worth of it.

Knowing Ridley Scott and his love of extended/director's cuts, this film will no doubt get the full works on Blu-Ray/DVD, as so many characters feel as if they've had their scenes compressed or just chopped for time. It's a hard film to recommend, because I have a feeling it will divide a lot of peoples opinions and it's screaming out for more or a sequel. I'm just hoping for a Kingdom of Heaven style Extended Cut myself.

Edit: I decided to switch my rating to 7/10. After a lot of thought about the film as a whole, while I *really* liked it, it has far too many glaring flaws (characterisation and some plot holes) for me to give it a straight 8/10. I still stick to my original opinions about it, because it was still entertaining as hell for me and my friends.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-06-05 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Score change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 4/10

Hated...this...movie. I don't know why I keep going back to spy movies, because I usually hate them. I think it's because I loved Breach, and a fan of Gary Oldman. Anyways...the movie is the typical "spy movie." It has the typical premise (there's a mole high-up in British intelligence). Everyone talks with a tense, measured cadence. Everything has a ridiculous code name (They refer to MI6 as "the Circus"). Oh, and everything is confusing.

The movie is a mess. There's nothing to catch your interest at the beginning of the film, and nothing that really makes you care about the characters. It jumps around chronologically with no warning. Not a single character gets a proper introduction. I didn't even know the main character's name until 30 minutes into the film. Also, sometimes they put text on the screen, subtitles or otherwise, that is incredibly tiny. As if the director couldn't image his movie would be watched on anything less than a 42" flatscreen.

In the end, I feel like it's probably one of those movies that's better the second time through. Maybe then I could pick up on the film's deeper intricacies and realize that it's a triumph of modern filmaking, but unfortunately you only get Redbox movies for a day, and you couldn't get me to watch this thing again if you paid me.

21 Jump Street - 8/10

Project X - 6.5/10

Still waters run deep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shutter Island 9/10

Brilliant movie. Definitely in my top 10 list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ano
    Stop being french, it's just shift-2.