The Hobbit 10/10

This may be the best movie I have yet to see in my life. Take that as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    My father said critics didn't like it. Good to know.
    The Hobbit is a movie for the nerdy fans, not the critics. 10/10 ! ! !

Realized that I have seen exactly 1 Kubrick film and that was Eyes Wide Shut....meh...so I decided to have a Kubrick marathon this weekend.

2001: A Space Odessey: 10/10, fucking amazing especially considering how old that film is.

Also watched some weird youtube video by conspiracy theorists who believe that Kubrick helped fake the moon landing...and that Eyes Wide Shut somehow exposed the Illuminati as a shadow government. It was very strange. Will be watching The Shining next, which is supposed to have a ton of moon landing "clues"...lol...so that will be an interesting watch regardless of the film's quality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Realized that I have seen exactly 1 Kubrick film and that was Eyes Wide Shut....meh...so I decided to have a Kubrick marathon this weekend.

2001: A Space Odessey: 10/10, fucking amazing especially considering how old that film is.

Also watched some weird youtube video by conspiracy theorists who believe that Kubrick helped fake the moon landing...and that Eyes Wide Shut somehow exposed the Illuminati as a shadow government. It was very strange. Will be watching The Shining next, which is supposed to have a ton of moon landing "clues"...lol...so that will be an interesting watch regardless of the film's quality.
    I just knew there was something more to the "HERE'S JOHNNY" thing. You'll love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Hobbit.

I've thought about this overnight, and mused on where I wanted to put it... and decided I would regret it if I did not give this movie my 6th 10/10 ever.

Side note, I'm not blocking things due to spoilers. One of the absolute biggest strengths of the film is that it stuck in so well with the actual story, so if you haven't read a book that's been out for 65 or so years, that's on you. Also, I'm going to be attacking Rotten Tomatoes.

First of all, it sticks extremely well not only with the book, but what the book hints at but Tolkein could never put in because his editors wanted more about Hobbits. Originally Tolkein wanted to put in more... more on the White Council, the fight with the necromancer, addressing a number of points intended to make it a more serious tone. Looking back, I find it disgusting that editors rejected such attempts by the author due to the desire to line their own pockets, and I'm absolutely disgusted that reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes not only fall in line with the suppression of Tolkein's writing and intent, but seem to not even have read the book themselves. The film took much of the scenery expressed in the Hobbit, as well as the words and events and chronological order..... the only severe fault that I could find was the omission of Beorn, and I actually gave a happy squee in the middle of the theater when the very first line of the book was brought in.

For visual effects, scenery, casting, quality of the shots... its Peter Jackson. And by the looks of it, he put even more time and attention into this than he did Lord of the Rings, probably because the LOTR must naturally move quicker because of the pacing of the book. Peter Jackson had the time to sit down and establish the scenery, and he did. It was, simply put, legendary.

And finally, the tone, the one compared to the book. I have seen a number of people criticizing it for a lack of jolliness, for "Sucking the energy away." It is true that The Hobbit is the brightest of Tolkein's books, especially when compared to the epitome of his career. One looking back at a shallow glance would see that the tone of this movie does not sit well with the books. Of course, these people would also have to selectively ignore things like, Tolkein was overall displeased with this tone of the book, and after writing Lord of the Rings and furthering the progress of his other writings found that when he wrote The Hobbit, the manner in which he wrote did not properly convey the dire state of the dwarves' plight or the importance of the quest. Looking back and reading not only The Hobbit, but supplementary notes on it and Tolkein's reflections on his books, I have no doubt that he would be pleased with it. It is a film filled with comedy and adventure, all overlaying a darker note, a serious note. There is a sense of ominous gloom beneath the scenes, one that can be felt strongly between the slapstick humor and the fights. This tone is vital; it is a characterizing feature of Tolkein's works after he began taking his writing career more seriously. It is what made me give this film a 10 at the end of the day, because when I went through this (and I intend to do a second trip so I may further examine its features) I felt like this is what Tolkein wanted.

I will say something about other movie critics, coming from this film. After looking at the comments on that site, I have lost all respect for them, and I doubt I will ever use that site for reference again.

edit: apparently Beorn is in The Hobbit p2, so disregard that section of my post.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-12-17 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    The Hobbit
    100/100

Just to be different.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The Hobbit.
    the only severe fault that I could find was the omission of Beorn,

Mikael Persbrandt is cast as Beorn in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

I think he will appear.
    in both
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
    The Hobbit: There and Back Again (2014)
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-14 at 08:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Hobbit, 10/10. It was overall the best movie experience I've ever had. Saw it in IMAX, and it was just amazing. Spent 9 minutes in sci-fi with the Star Trek preview, which was amazing, and the 3D fits perfectly for it, I'll be seeing that one in IMAX. Then I saw my 2 minute Man of Steel trailer, so much <3 Midnight showings are the best, both previews got applauds. Then I spent the next 2.35 hours in Middle Earth. Amazing cinematography, amazing soundtrack, amazing acting, amazing everything. I love this one more than any of the Lord of the Rings already, those dwarfs were pretty much how dwarfs should be, and hands down the best set of dwarfs that have graced the screen in my eyes. Never read any of the books, but it was an adventure worth paying for. Get there early this weekend btw, lines are out the door.

Deleted
    my local cinema doesn't have Imax, does that mean i cant watch the 48fps version? it has 3d but no imax apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    my local cinema doesn't have Imax, does that mean i cant watch the 48fps version? it has 3d but no imax apparently.
    It will just be standard 3D, I'd recommend avoiding that like the plague, see it in any standard 2D version they may offer if it doesn't have HFR (48fps).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    It will just be standard 3D, I'd recommend avoiding that like the plague, see it in any standard 2D version they may offer if it doesn't have HFR (48fps).

hm ok, the 2D version is cheaper so i suppose thats a plus. not sure where my nearest imax cinema is, probably an hour or so away

10+ Year Old Account
    Miracle on 34th st. The original one with Maureen o Hara, Natalie Wood and Edmund Gwenn. Still one the best Christmas films ever. 10 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    hm ok, the 2D version is cheaper so i suppose thats a plus. not sure where my nearest imax cinema is, probably an hour or so away

Bradford - National Media Museum (15/70 mm, 3D)[103]
    Birmingham - Cineworld Birmingham & IMAX [104]
    Crawley - Cineworld & IMAX [105]
    Gateshead - Odeon Metrocentre (Digital projectors, 3D)
    Ipswich - Cineworld Ipswich & IMAX [106]
    Kingston upon Thames - Odeon
    Liverpool - Odeon
    London - All over the place.
    Manchester - Odeon, The Printworks (15/70 mm, 3D)
    Norwich - Odeon
    Nottingham - Cineworld & IMAX [110]
    Sheffield - Cineworld Valley Centertainment
    Southampton - Odeon
    Uxbridge - Odeon

That's all the Imax locations in England atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Hobbit - 100/10

The first five minutes of the movie were filled with the familiar music that we all know and love; and that made me literally cry. It was so wonderful to travel back into a world that I perceive as my personal heaven. The movie kept to the books for the most part - that's a plus as well.

Deleted
    Bradford - National Media Museum (15/70 mm, 3D)[103]
    Birmingham - Cineworld Birmingham & IMAX [104]
    Crawley - Cineworld & IMAX [105]
    Gateshead - Odeon Metrocentre (Digital projectors, 3D)
    Ipswich - Cineworld Ipswich & IMAX [106]
    Kingston upon Thames - Odeon
    Liverpool - Odeon
    London - All over the place.
    Manchester - Odeon, The Printworks (15/70 mm, 3D)
    Norwich - Odeon
    Nottingham - Cineworld & IMAX [110]
    Sheffield - Cineworld Valley Centertainment
    Southampton - Odeon
    Uxbridge - Odeon

That's all the Imax locations in England atm.

o.0 is that it? i thought reading would have one, i was counting on that. guess uxbridge is closest to me. a bit too far for me to go to see it, ill just watch it the normal way

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, there's no IMAX 3d HFR. It was only IMAX 3d, just went to see it in IMAX for the Star Trek preview, otherwise I would of seen it in 2d. But I was not disappointed with the 3d in The Hobbit, but the movie is great either way you see it, 2d is cheaper, and if you don't really care for Star Trek, it's better off to see it in your standard format.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

Mikael Persbrandt is cast as Beorn in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

I think he will appear.
    in both
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
    The Hobbit: There and Back Again (2014)
    Ahh, my apologies than. It appears they simply tweaked how exactly they got to Beorn.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I saw this at midnight yesturday so I took some time to dwell on what I saw, especially considering the lukewarm critic reviews it has been getting, and make sure my review was not my reaction but a fair and honest critique of how good of a film it is, and how enjoyable it is to watch. I also do not want to compare this to the Lord of the Rings because comparing those would be like comparing Tim Burton's Batman and Christopher Nolan's the Dark Knight, both were good movies on the same characters and source material yet both two completely different adaptions of it.

It is similar with the Hobbit in the fact that it's tone, stakes, and such are all different than the Lord of the Rings, if Bilbo died middle earth wouldn't have been doomed like it would have been if Frodo failed, in fact (although you know later in the story Bilbo is essential to the Dwarves expedition) in this movie it seems if Bilbo died it wouldn't hurt even the Dwarves expedition which gives more of a personal touch and relativeness with Bilbo (who was brilliantly portrayed by Martin Freeman, in one of my favorite performances by an actor this year).

With this the Hobbit is in and of itself its own movie and should be reviewed as such and not as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings (because all though it may serve that purpose, the Hobbit is not essential to enjoy the Lord of the Rings nor the Lord of the Rings to enjoy the Hobbit. It just gives a more complete experience if you have seen them both), and when you take the burden away of having to reach the same level the Return of the King reached, and expecting the Hobbit to have a similar tone and portrayel, the Hobbit is much more enjoyable and can be viewd as how it is intended to be viewed. (Which most critics didn't since pretty much every negative review was because of 48 fps and that the Hobbit was no Lord of the Rings)

Now as for the movie itself, the visuals first are absolutely stunning (and im curious to see how the 48 fps changes or enhances that) and it is complimented with a great soundtrack with some of the familar Middle Earth vibes but also completely new powerful anthems that live up to the old ones. And although there is some CGI that looks a little iffy (such as the Goblin King and the Defiler) for the majority of it the CGI is blended well with the realism and was a great benefit to the film. (especially with the new look for gollum which looked even more real and stunning). I also loved then nods to the book's songs without making The Hobbit a broadway esque musical which it didn't need to be.

Next, the acting is brilliant especially with Freeman (as Bilbo), Mckellan (Gandalf), and Serkis (Gollum), every actor played their roles perfectly and had an extrordinary artistic appeal to how it was spoken in regards to three I mentioned above. And although there are a couple familar thematic points of the Lord of the Rings in this (Gandalf's speech about sparing a life to be the most obvious) it really does shine, especially with some strong and powerful moments near the end of the movie (Riddles in the Dark and Bilbo's escape, and the end Out of the Frying Pan scene with Bilbo's unexpected actions that caught me by surprise but I also unexpectedly approved of).

If I really had to shed any true complaints about this movie, it's that although I know Radagast's part in this, I found his character to be portrayed awfully cheesely, and I by no means am calling The Hobbit's binks or anything close to that, I am saying he was a low point for the movie. I also wasn't fond of the defiler orc character, he had his part to play, but I felt like they could have done him better and that they could have made him a bit more menacing than he really was.

Overall, The Hobbit is a very strong movie that stands on its own two feet and gives a good solid ground for the next two in the trilogy which I eagerly await. And although this wasn't a perfect movie, it was a very, very strong one which is regarded as one of this years best (though not really the best for me this year, sadly) despite it's lukewarm controversy it has wrongly been recieving putting it really as a vastly underrated movie by critics, although it seems that it will definitely be something that every Tolkien fan, and even casual moviegoer will adore.

8.75/10 for The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2012-12-15 at 10:47 PM.

Deleted
    I just went to see the Hobbit.

I must say, I was rather impressed. I thought it would be kinda bad.

The whole plot was rather good. I just loved it.

Oh, and the 3D, it wasn't bad, at all, I seriously hate 3D movies but this one was amazingly well done, my eyes didn't get "hurt". This one, along with The Avatar, are my favourite 3D movies.

9/10

The Hobbit 7.5/10

The Good: Visuals and landscape are fantastic very reminiscent of LOTR trilogy. The music is fantastic as always, though they do use alot of familiar tunes. Martin Freeman was great. I was really concerned about him when I heard he was cast but he was more than up to the task. The old faces were nice to see as well.

The Bad: They really had some unnecessary scenes, Radagast scenes, The ending, the rock giants, and the council scene (interesting but unnecessary and took us away from the dwarfs and Bilbo for too long), just to name a few. Bilbo seems to get lost quite a bit, the story should focus on him but it bounces all over the place. The movie also seems confuse about who its audience is. Just when you think its for movie fans we get hit with a bunch of lore scene then when its staying true to the book it veers off in its own direction completely ignoring the book. Then its making poop and snot jokes and when you start believing this is going to be a more kid friendly movie someones head gets lopped off. Agog the defiler serves no purpose and only fills screen time. Horribly developed villain. The running time, I love long movies and will only ever watch the extended editions of LOTR but their was alot of fat that could have been cut.
    Last edited by theturn; 2012-12-15 at 07:09 AM.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

All these good reviews for the Hobbit...awesome, film is playing across the street from my house so I'm pumped. Glad to read that people think Freeman did a good job, I was kindof skeptical as to how he'd do after watching a few of the previews.

The Shining -- 8.5/10, continuing my Stanley Kubrick marathon. Loved Jack Nicholson but Shelley Duvall was just...I can't put my finger on it but there was something off about her performance, it wasn't bad but it could have been better. The ending was interesting, I don't remember it being in the book...lots of differences from the source material in general but everyone here probably knows that, I'm probably the last person on earth who hasn't seen this movie :P

Dr. Strangelove and Clockwork Orange next.