Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    "My tastes are...unconventional." Get it? But I only saw the trailer...That and the internet uproar...

Alright, so there's like two comprehensive points I'll make about my ratings, which are why my scale is different than yours:

1. I reward originality. A movie just isn't going to be 8+ if it's been done a million times. Ask yourself this, "If I saw the exact same movie but with a different title, would I give it the same rating?"

2. A 5.5 average doesn't do justice to filter out the good movies. "Oh wow, the $200 million dollar budget Marvel movie, with all the power they have and the research on target audience, looks and seems better than that niche Korean movie that isn't even in English? I think I'll rate the Marvel movie 7 or 8." I mean, if you compare big movies with ""average"" then of course every movie is going to be a 7+ movie. Wtf is the point of even giving a rating, then?

I mean, we have the power of the internet. For free right now we can watch basically every movie ever made, in HD. How useful is it to just generically give any movie that seems semi-watchable a high rating? It's not useful.
    I don't know, if I remember correctly you believe your scores are somehow objective, which I find ridiculous. Movies are subjective, and so are scores. Movies are all about the experience, and nobody experiences something the exact same way. I believe 7/10 = good, 8/10 = great, 9/10 = amazing, 10/10 = masterpiece, so when I rate something 8/10, I do believe it is great.

I'm not a reviewer, I'm not here to tell people whether they might or might not like it, I can only tell that I like/dislike it, and probably also why I liked/disliked it. I also don't believe in 5.5 or 5.0 being an "average". To me it's the equivalent of "meh", or me being indifferent to the movie, and not what you can expect from a completely blank slate movie.

7+ Year Old Account
    10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - 7/10

Didn't know much, if anything, about this before I started watching it. Parts of the movie were a bit slow but the acting was good and the story ended up being pretty decent. No regrets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't know, if I remember correctly you believe your scores are somehow objective, which I find ridiculous. Movies are subjective, and so are scores. Movies are all about the experience, and nobody experiences something the exact same way. I believe 7/10 = good, 8/10 = great, 9/10 = amazing, 10/10 = masterpiece, so when I rate something 8/10, I do believe it is great.

I'm not a reviewer, I'm not here to tell people whether they might or might not like it, I can only tell that I like/dislike it, and probably also why I liked/disliked it. I also don't believe in 5.5 or 5.0 being an "average". To me it's the equivalent of "meh", or me being indifferent to the movie, and not what you can expect from a completely blank slate movie.
    I'm only here for Blueobelisk reviews so eat poop friend.

Guardians: 3/10

1 point for sexy bear
    1 point for gattling cannon on the back of the bear
    1 point for some nice practical effects

Would be 0/10 otherwise
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

I feel like 1% bad for continually posting about ratings without actually posting a movie rating, but this is more fun discussion than just giving ratings so I think everyone will forgive me.

I don't know, if I remember correctly you believe your scores are somehow objective, which I find ridiculous. Movies are subjective, and so are scores. Movies are all about the experience, and nobody experiences something the exact same way.
    Of course nothing is completely objective, but based on a set of criteria and being reasonable, and with some experience, people can give generally objective ratings.

Otherwise, there'd be no point to all those cooking shows that have judges rate which dish is better. "Yeah, you made a Kobe steak that was cooked perfectly, the sauce is amazing, the mashed potatoes are Idaho godly. Buttt I'm gonna have to give the W to the guy who bought pizza from the local pizza store. It's barely average, but I just lovvve pizza so much that it gets a 12/10 from me."

Obviously that's an extreme, but you can see that even if someone has a personal preference, they could still try to be objective and fair. Especially if the person is consistent with themselves.

I actually think your ratings are fine, intelligent and fair.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm only here for Blueobelisk reviews so eat poop friend.
    I think my ratings are the most entertaining, too...

Deleted
    Fifty Shades Darker

7/10

7+ Year Old Account
    Triple 9 (2016) - 7/10

Solid acting. Good story(see spoiler section for an addendum to that). Reasonable amount of action scenes given the type of movie. I was solidly happy with it until : WTF kind of ending was that; great movie up until the last couple minutes. That resolution sucked. I'd possibly have gone with an 8/10 if the ending had been sorted out better.

- - - Updated - - -

The Accountant (2016) - 8/10

Solid acting. A good story. Relatively believable action scenes and better yet actions scenes that didn't disrupt the flow of the story. A nice twist. A solid ending.

Logan (2017) - 8/10

Truly a "superhero" movie that doesn't feel anything like a superhero movie. If you want something different, something a bit original from the superhero genre, this is it. Similar to how Deadpool cared mostly about being a comedy, Logan cares mostly about being a dark and somber modern western. It's a X-Men movie like Deadpool, and it is R-rated like Deadpool, yet they have almost the exact opposite tones. Logan shows it's R-rating mostly through it's brutal violence and wounds, and also a ton of profanity, which doesn't feel out of place.

The movie, like you would expect from a modern western, is long-winded in that special western-type of way, which for some might be boring at times, but which others appreciate and will enjoy for the way it allows the tone and atmosphere to sink in and let the characters get more tender moments. Speaking of atmosphere, this movie definitely feels heavy, and you almost get depressed from how weary the main characters are at the tail end of their life. Like the slower pace, some people will love this, while others will think "this is not what I signed up for!".

Another note about the slower pace is that it is at times punctured by sudden action or tension-filled scenes, which I think puts you on edge throughout a good chunk of the movie. And I think those scenes work extremely well at creating tension.

The characters are great, and it is interesting to see Charles and Logan portrayed in such a different, sort-of heartbreaking way. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart also give phenomenal performances, Patrick Stewart has a moment that almost made me tear up (you'll probably know which one when you see it). Dafne Keen was great too, especially when you consider how young she is and how this is her first big screen performance. Caliban was a nice touch too, and the villains worked totally for the movie.

Like The LEGO Batman Movie, this is a movie that I'll have to think about some more, and it might be raised to a 9/10 eventually. What keeps me from going there at the moment is probably the slower western-pace, which isn't entirely in my tastes, and I while there were emotional moments, I would have liked to have cried, or been a bit closer to doing so than I was. However, I think this movie should absolutely be seen, and I think many people will like it even more than I do (heck, I kinda know this is already the case).

Whiplash definately.
    It was really good, 11/10 for sure.

Deleted
    Fantastic beasts and where to find them

6/10

It was okay, but nothing memorable or special to me.

John Wick Chapter 2 - 7/10

Good action, thin story. Cast was good apart from Ruby Rose who can't act for shit, to the point where every scene with her lessens the quality of the movie.

Get Out 8/10

Not as 'scary' or funny as I hoped. Great writing, good acting and nicely directed. Lacks punch for a horror film. Social commentary is pretty soft too. It's pretty well made film all in all, I just expected more horror as a Horror genre fan.

Fist Fight 1/10

Not funny. Terrible.

The Shack 1/10

Really bad. Sappy and dumb with terrible acting.

Donald Cried 6/10

Kinda clever, kinda smart but also lacked real punch. If the movie was more humorous to me I might have given it a grade higher or so.

Before I Fall 2/10

Nicely shot actually. Usual suspects of terribleness; acting and writing, not good.

Logan 3/10

Meh. Still only related to X-Men material in name and brand alone. Lame villain, weird tone, boring action scenes, lots of rule of cool BS.

Table 19 2/10

Also, not very funny. Acting is okay. Writing and directing are meh.

-----
    Seeing Kong Skull Island, LoveSong (hopefully), Catfight (hopefully) and The Last Word next week. March is kinda picking up movie wise.

Deleted
    John Wick 2, I would rate it -10 if I can..such a bore fest, they were just cashing their check...I felt numb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    John Wick 2, I would rate it -10 if I can..such a bore fest, they were just cashing their check...I felt numb

What's your rating of the first one ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    What's your rating of the first one ?
    Didn't know there was one until I saw trailer for the 2nd movie...was watching the 1st one before went to go see the 2nd at cinema, didn't have time to finish watching the 1st one but after seeing the 2nd I didn't feel like finishing seeing the first one...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Get Out 8/10

Not as 'scary' or funny as I hoped. Great writing, good acting and nicely directed. Lacks punch for a horror film. Social commentary is pretty soft too. It's pretty well made film all in all, I just expected more horror as a Horror genre fan.
    A good horror movie directed by Jordan Peele from "Key & Peele"?

Is this a bizarro-world of another dimension?
    I have to see it now.

Logan 8/10
    If you go in expecting an X-Men movie you'll be disappointed. Hence the reason why I think it's called "Logan" and not "Wolverine."
    Spoilers just in case:
    We have an embittered loner (for the most part) who is slowly being poisoned by the one thing that has been almost his trademark for the entirety of his franchise's history. It's quite something hearing the Professor dropping f-bombs all over. The ultimate bad guy is the big disappointment. The "Doctor Rice" was supposed to have been ultimately responsible for wiping out mutants, but that makes only a footnote, and Rice only shows up a few moments before dying the death he probably deserved which came about almost indifferently. I marked "Pierce" as the character in the comics (Donald Pierce) who was a member of the Hellfire Club before Wolvie sliced and diced him up. He survived his encounter with most of his body getting replaced with bionics. In the movie we onl see his arm...and nothing in the way of how he got it.
    The movie was well-acted and well-written. This wasn't an X-Men movie per se. You won't see the shiny toys here, no group dynamic or group hugs even. We get a lot of violence and...loneliness. Logan in his own way admits that he would not have made a good father. But we see that he might have liked to have made the effort if only to lived long enough to see her grow.
    This was however a superhero movie. Self-sacrifice was always a hallmark of the X-Men. And here, we finally see it.

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call 1/10

It was on Starz and I decided to watch it to see how it really was. How could anyone like this movie (the 1 is for decent effects) is just beyond me. Like never funny at all, the story was shit, the empowering women shit (haha, shoot the giant male guy in the balls so funny and empowering!), and all the previous criticisms about the movie are all there.

My last comment as the credits rolled was that this movie was just absolute horrible dogshit. God fucking help this world if a sequel is even made.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Devil's Own (1997)
    9/10

I saw this movie around 10 years ago, but completely forgot it by now. Truly amazing movie about how events in our lives shape us, making some of us into exemplary citizens, and others into violent terrorists - but ultimately we are all humans wanting the same from life. Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt, of course, are stellar as always, and the soundtrack is brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Logan: 8/10

A very good movie for the Wolverine side of things. While it may be set apart in some continuity telling, it's a nice turn to the other wolverine movies. This one is acutally good.

Plenty of action as it should, nothing held back. A bit slow in the middle and picks up nicely later but what I liked about the middle downtime was the story telling showing changed characters we know. the back and forth of our main characters. What could have been but didn't. As others have said, the real bad guy was a bit generic and oddly used given the reavers and their "robotic" potential as being the real bad guys. The connection of the professor, X-23 and Wolverine was a nice addition and their final scenes for each major x-men was touching.

The movie did not disappoint except on a few small details for me. Ooverall, was a great watch for the theater.
    Last edited by quras; 2017-03-06 at 02:26 PM.