Just saw Thor 3: Ragnarok in the theaters. (I know it's black friday but damn yo. Don't people work?)

It was the kind of enjoyable experience where a noob would just hand it an 8 or 9 because it's charming and funny all the time, and the action and production is amazing. It's obviously well done, it's a big budget movie.

And then we step back into reality. I really enjoyed it and as a movie it's pretty good, so I'll list the problems rather than the good:

1. You need to see like 5-10 other movies to fully enjoy it. (I know I said Thor "3" so it's expected that you see Thor 1-2, but you also need to see Dr. Strange, 2 Avenger's movies, probably the Iron Man movies, maybe other movies. Maybe even a TV show? Who the fuck knows how many references there are.)

2. The middle of the movie dragged a bit. There needed to be 10 less minutes of a certain someone there.

3. The plot's sort of standard. Like, it's not entirely predictable or cliche, but it's straightforward. The other thing is it's not really a standalone plot, since soooo much of everything builds up from previous experience. (Experience that isn't just in Thor movies. You wouldn't blame Lord of the Rings 3 for going straight into it and not explaining stuff from the first 2, right? But that's not the case here, it's not a simple trilogy, Thor 3 is sort of supposed to be looked at as a solo story, not a direct continuation.)

Anyway, for the things mentioned above, I'm going give it a 6/10. It was really fun to watch, and if you know everything Marvel it feels great, but...there are still a few flaws from it being considered a superior movie.

Justice League: 8/10
    Did not drag on, gave every character some good moments, visually pleasing enough, ... me and the friend i watched it with had quite a good time and some laughs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

been wanting to check out Snowpiercer after watching the cinemasins on it and managed to grab it with my DVR. I give it a solid 7/10. good action and direction. interesting take on the future dystopia. a plot hole here and there but over all not bad and worth the watch
    Last edited by KOMO1211; 2017-11-25 at 09:00 AM.

Justice League 6/10

Too many movies trying to be “Reddit funny”

Has potential

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Justice League 6/10

Too many movies trying to be “Reddit funny”

Has potential
    What does "reddit funny" mean? I don't use reddit. And I probably won't see Justice League for at least 6 months.

In This Corner of the World (2016/2017) - 7/10

An enjoyable/heartfelt anime movie about life in Japan during World War II. I found it a bit hard to follow in certain parts, and you can argue it relies a lot on anticipation of "that event", but it was interesting to see a different perspective on the war.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-11-25 at 11:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What does "reddit funny" mean? I don't use reddit. And I probably won't see Justice League for at least 6 months.
    I think it translates to cringeworthy but safe and politically correct comedic content that's not really comedic outside of a very special tightly knit group. Fe: semi-inside jokes that should not have been used for a broader audience.

I think my expectations for both of these films was too high prior to viewing, but...

Get Out: 5/10
    - Incredibly predictable thriller, now with a side helping of race card. The 'twist' at the end completely inconsequential to the overall plot, and actually makes an already flawed story utterly ridiculous. The only bright spot here is Betty Gabriel, who absolutely kills it, and should have had more screen time.

The Big Sick: 6/10 - The movie falls into the pretty common trap of trying to establish a relationship issue based on the idea that neither party actually talks to each other about anything important, and when something finally does come up, its handled in the most petulant way possible. Character development is so-so, jokes could be better (though there are some good ones here and there). Not a completely awful movie, not a must-see either.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The Imitation Game (2014)
    Just saw Imitation Game on desktop. (I only saw it based only on this recommendation, I never even heard of it before, but it sounded cool and psychological. Boy, was I wrong..)

It's basically a documentary about Alan Turing and his accomplishment of making a computer during WWII, but it's like that new movie style where people put nostolgia glasses on to make someone's life story seem super interesting and deep. Like Snowden, that Facebook movie, and that movie coming out with Biggie Smalls and TuPac. (Not that I've ever seen any of those, besides commercials.)

Not a movie/10. As I said, it's a documentary with style and drama to make $$. It was super boring and predictable. It was cringey at a lot of parts. (Thank god the pace was good, though. It didn't drag on any part.) However, it felt like all the fucking cliche/cheesy moments happened just for the sake of it looking cool on a screen. No way does reality work like that. I feel like it was you, Arrowstormen, who said there were blockbuster movies, and the movies that dumb actors give out...errr...Golden Globe awards for. This is the latter.

I'd have to give it like 1.25/10 if it was on a movie scale, but I don't think I respect it enough to do that. (Lol I sound so arrogant saying that, but the "movie" is just a string of events with no climax or conflict. It's just told in a way that makes it seem like stuff is happening.)

The Last Dragon - 10/10. 80's blacksploitation that pays homage to all Bruce Lee movies while having one of the best villains in 20th century.
    Totally unbiased.

1. You need to see like 5-10 other movies to fully enjoy it. (I know I said Thor "3" so it's expected that you see Thor 1-2, but you also need to see Dr. Strange, 2 Avenger's movies, probably the Iron Man movies, maybe other movies. Maybe even a TV show? Who the fuck knows how many references there are.)
    I don't know if that's really a legitimate complaint anymore.

I think that you probably need to see Avengers 1, maybe 2. A Thor or two wouldn't hurt. The rest is just there as a bonus if you saw the other films.

But really Avengers and the character of Thor have reached pop-cultural osmosis levels now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Rick and Morty is essentially Reddit reincarnate

Finally got around to seeing

"IT" - 7/10

I enjoyed watching this movie. Can't wait for the second.

"Book of Henry" 5/10

Decent, tragic movie but a bit flawed on story.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I think it translates to cringeworthy but safe and politically correct comedic content that's not really comedic outside of a very special tightly knit group. Fe: semi-inside jokes that should not have been used for a broader audience.
    O-okay. I've added these posts and "Justice League" to my spreadsheet. One day in the next 10 years, I'll watch the movie and come back and see if I correctly understood what you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by imabanana View Post
    I'm not sure you understand what a documentary (or a movie?) is, this was definitely not a documentary. Very little of the movie is historically accurate, and big chunks of it are even entirely fictional. It's only very loosely based on a real story at best.
    Yeah I guess I used the wrong word. There wasn't some old guy with a feminine studies history degree talking over the movie explaining how shit went down.

Maybe I'm bringing some bias into it. It's like a very well known historical event, and the movie is just adding some flair to it and tries to make it seem interesting. Like Snowden, Facebook, and Biggie Smalls.

Or maybe it's the lackluster atmosphere that gets me. The movie is pretty monotone. Idk, I just don't think there's a proper buildup and climax for it to be considered a "movie". It definitely goes through the "steps" but it's more of a formality than anything story-like. "Alan Turing is a genius mathematician! Look at him and ponder at how autistic and different he is based on some dumb quote someone told him once and how he has no people skills! You know this guy is the spacial person that's about to innovate and make a breakthrough in history!" It felt like they were forcefeeding themes rather than tell it like a real story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't know if that's really a legitimate complaint anymore.

I think that you probably need to see Avengers 1, maybe 2. A Thor or two wouldn't hurt. The rest is just there as a bonus if you saw the other films.

But really Avengers and the character of Thor have reached pop-cultural osmosis levels now.
    To you "everyone knows Thor and Marvel". Not to some kid born in 2007 who is 10 years old and his parents take him to a movie. That kid would've been 1 when Iron Man 1 came out. He'd have been 5 when Avengers 1 came out.

I mean, sure, any non-retard can walk into Thor 3 and get the gist of whats going on, but alllllllllllll the references about the Avengers and about how Iron Man is arrogant or how the Hulk fucked Loki up and all that stuff takes knowledge of the previous movies to understand.

I could forgive it for needing to know Thor 1 and 2 (although it'd still have to be somewhat penalized on the overall scale compared to standalone movies), but needing to know 9 years worth of Marvel movies to understand each reference is a bit much. Those jokes are thrown in fast during the movie, and you either know the reference or you don't.

Again. You have 9 years worth of bias for understanding the movie. Just because it's osmosis level where you live and for your age, doesn't mean everyone knows all of that. (And obviously no one knows every reference in every movie, but Marvel expected you to know all of their movie's histories to be understanding those jokes and dialogue.)

I still gave it an 8/10, so 1 point of penalization for that seems super fair to me.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2017-11-27 at 04:42 PM.

Justice League 5/10

Pretty disappointing. Expected it to live up to a Man of Steel / Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice level, but unfortunately it fell below even that. But I wasn't bored, so it still deserves an "OK" grade in my book.

I feel like it was you, Arrowstormen, who said there were blockbuster movies, and the movies that dumb actors give out...errr...Golden Globe awards for.
    I don't remember the exact post you are referring to, but I feel like this is a wild misinterpretation of it.

To you "everyone knows Thor and Marvel". Not to some kid born in 2007 who is 10 years old and his parents take him to a movie. That kid would've been 1 when Iron Man 1 came out. He'd have been 5 when Avengers 1 came out.

I mean, sure, any non-retard can walk into Thor 3 and get the gist of whats going on, but alllllllllllll the references about the Avengers and about how Iron Man is arrogant or how the Hulk fucked Loki up and all that stuff takes knowledge of the previous movies to understand.

I could forgive it for needing to know Thor 1 and 2 (although it'd still have to be somewhat penalized on the overall scale compared to standalone movies), but needing to know 9 years worth of Marvel movies to understand each reference is a bit much. Those jokes are thrown in fast during the movie, and you either know the reference or you don't.

Again. You have 9 years worth of bias for understanding the movie. Just because it's osmosis level where you live and for your age, doesn't mean everyone knows all of that. (And obviously no one knows every reference in every movie, but Marvel expected you to know all of their movie's histories to be understanding those jokes and dialogue.)

I still gave it an 8/10, so 1 point of penalization for that seems super fair to me.
    I think a kid born in 2007 knows Thor and Marvel better than any preceding generation. I bet their shelves are full of Avengers toys and Thor colouring books. Ironically I grew up with very little contact with comic books, because they were highly inaccessible in Australia in the 80s and 90s. My biggest connection to it was the 90s X-Men cartoon...

I'd still say that watching previous films is much less required for enjoying Thor 3 than Cap 3, Spider-Man Homecoming or no doubt the upcoming Avengers 3.

You're making no sense even for you.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-11-27 at 10:23 PM.

I think a kid born in 2007 knows Thor and Marvel better than any preceding generation. I bet their shelves are full of Avengers toys and Thor colouring books. Ironically I grew up with very little contact with comic books, because they were highly inaccessible in Australia in the 80s and 90s. My biggest connection to it was the 90s X-Men cartoon...

I'd still say that watching previous films is much less required for enjoying Thor 3 than Cap 3, Spider-Man Homecoming or no doubt the upcoming Avengers 3.
    Did you get the holographic/shiny X-men cards in aussie? We did over in new zealand. The dayz

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Did you get the holographic/shiny X-men cards in aussie? We did over in new zealand. The dayz
    I think we did, unfortunately I didn't have any of those.

I did have a nearly complete set of Batman Returns movie cards though... sadly lost :P

I think we did, unfortunately I didn't have any of those.

I did have a nearly complete set of Batman Returns movie cards though... sadly lost :P
    :O the one batman movie that didnt suck pre-nolan. Those would have been fun. Shame ye lost them probably be worth a few bob now in mint condition.