black panther 7/10

it was decent, had a few problems like the villain disappearing for half the movie, or how the whole "fight to the death for the throne" thing doesnt work in such an advanced society at all.

but overall it was enjoyable, the story was pretty meh but the characters and the performances were good (especially michael b jordan)

I just dont really get how this became such a huge "black movement" film? like really. if anything it's more than once racist towards black people, even if subtly so.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - 5/10 Probably a generous rating. The movie has its chuckle moments, but most of them occur in the first 20 minutes or so, and Jackson just isn't as good as he could have been in this one. Not absolutely terrible, but not really worth watching unless you're incredibly bored.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Guest: 8 ~ 10 Saw a Re:View on Red Letter Media and decided to check it out. Not bad! It fizzles a bit towards the end, but Dan Stevens carried the film well enough to where I might have to start watching Legion.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Revenge 10/10

The best film in the revenge fantasy subgenre. Transformative of the genre, even. Well acted, incredibly shot and fantastical. So far this is the second best film I have seen in 2018.

Eighth Grade 10/10

The best film of 2018 so far. A lot to unpack in this film. It's one of the densest films I have seen since Synecdoche, New York. Elsie Fisher's performance is astounding. A highly impressive debut.

Life of the Party 3/10

Eh. Really tiresome. This ground has been covered more hilariously in countless other films. Going over it in the vehicle of a divorced mother doesn't lend anything to the comedy.

Breaking In 2/10

Not nearly as salacious as it needs to be in order to be fun. Performances are flat, cinematography is pretty bad. The plot is pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Curious, are you referring to the 2018 remake or the 1987 original with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell? I expect 2018, but, yeah, curious.
    2018. I only comment on current US released & US festival films in this thread.

Black Panther 3/10

Watched in the theater. Just awful. Both my gf and me almost walked out (I've only had that feeling when I watched
    The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising). The plot, the visuals, nothing worked. It felt like the movie was filmed in one room. At times it looked like it was on the Star Trek: Next Generation level of CGI. Just super cheap. Just so many plot holes. So. Many. I hated it almost as much as I hated 1st Cap movie. But this one was worse. The movie was not hyped for its quality but for other reasons. I didnt buy into it, I kind of assumed it would be one of the worse Marvel movies, but I was not prepared for it to be that horrible.

Infinity War 8/10

Best hero movie ever made (excluding Nolan's Batmans and Watchmen). Nothing even comes close in terms of scale. Villain was actually good for a change. Even with the amount of characters, it flowed really well.

To give you a very rough frame of reference:
    Avengers 2, Thor 2, Cap 1, Iron Man 2 & 3, Black Panther (this is on its own level of horribleness) - sucked
    Iron Man, Antman, Homecoming, Thor 1, Doctor Strange - Meh
    Avengers 1, Thor 3, Guardians 1 & 2, Infinity War, Cap 2 & 3 - great
    Last edited by phyx; 2018-05-13 at 10:05 PM.

Deadpool 2 (2018) - 8/10 (B+)

Pretty darn funny, if you liked the first one you will likely like this one. Humor is fairly subjective, it might be funnier than the first one, but I'm not 100% sure on that, will have to watch them closely together at some point. Seems like whether people think it is better or worse than the first is pretty 50-50, so it's probably somewhere around the same level. It felt a bit messy to me, but maybe that was because of a fairly rapid pace, it might be better on rewatches. The emotional moments didn't quite land as well as they wanted to.

I might like it more or less after a rewatch, I'm a bit unsure how much I really like it at the moment, but I did think it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Deadpool 2 (2018) - 8/10 (B+)

Pretty darn funny, if you liked the first one you will likely like this one. Humor is fairly subjective, it might be funnier than the first one, but I'm not 100% sure on that, will have to watch them closely together at some point. Seems like whether people think it is better or worse than the first is pretty 50-50, so it's probably somewhere around the same level. It felt a bit messy to me, but maybe that was because of a fairly rapid pace, it might be better on rewatches. The emotional moments didn't quite land as well as they wanted to.

I might like it more or less after a rewatch, I'm a bit unsure how much I really like it at the moment, but I did think it was great.
    I loved the second joke about no budget for the other X-Men.
    Also:

Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10
    really funny but a little over the top on a few parts. I enjoyed it more than the first one.

Deleted
    Thor Ragnarok 7/10
    We see another face of the family of Thor I dislike the part of no more action for loki

Se7en - 10/10

God this movie holds up! I have not seen it in years and just got the itch to give it a watch on a whim. Its easily the best crime/thriller movie of all time and it has the most shocking I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING ending.
    Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt and Kevin Spacey are all just fantastic in this.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Se7en - 10/10

God this movie holds up! I have not seen it in years and just got the itch to give it a watch on a whim. Its easily the best crime/thriller movie of all time and it has the most shocking I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING ending.
    Wonder how ole Kevin Spacey is getting on. Must have been rough getting outed and then taken out of your latest film and hit TV series. Great actor, rip

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Wonder how ole Kevin Spacey is getting on. Must have been rough getting outed and then taken out of your latest film and hit TV series. Great actor, rip
    I think his career is probably over forever considering people still havnt forgiven Mel Gibson for his way less shocking drunken rant.

He is a fantastc actor though as he basically only shows up for 15 mins total in the entire film but still manages to makes such an impression.

The Greatest Showman- 9/10

Watched it with the Wife and Kids we all loved it. It was a great look at a very interesting start at an amazing take on Entertainment. Was very well acted, the musical aspect of it was great as well.

I think his career is probably over forever considering people still havnt forgiven Mel Gibson for his way less shocking drunken rant.

He is a fantastc actor though as he basically only shows up for 15 mins total in the entire film but still manages to makes such an impression.
    Yeah hes not coming back. The only dude that was hit by the metoo wave that I think will be back in time is Louis Ck. Because his offenses werent super bad and hes too big for hollywood to resist for long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Se7en - 10/10

When I was in hospital in the army I saw that movie once a day for a week.

There weren't that many tapes to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Batman Ninja: 5 ~ 10 Except for a couple jarring scenes, I really like the art style. Story? Things got silly. And then they got dumb. When the movie embraced schlock and went batshit bonkers, it almost redeemed itself. Almost. Hard to recommend.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Captain America: 7/10
    Yeah I know I'm fairly consistent with my scores of Marvel movies. What can I say, even upon a rewatch it's a fairly solid movie. Nothing amazing, nothing underwhelming. The main woman wasn't a giggling moron, so that was nice. Hugo Weaving is amazing no matter what he does. CGI is showing its age though.

Captain America, The Winter Soldier: 6/10
    What? I rated it lower? It's a thinner movie and the fact that HYDRA rolled out several dozen heavily armed soldiers in downtown New York to unload on Fury strains my suspension of disbelief. The fact that they did this twice makes it worse, and the second time one guy had a Gatling gun! Oh yeah but now there's THREE super-helicarrier-death-machines! Which once again proves Stark right on why he doesn't like to give the government his toys anymore... The Cap/Bucky plotline was about the only redeeming quality of this movie. CGI is better tho!

Hmmmm...looks like I forgot to mention
    Annihilation: 6/10
    I don't know if there's something lost in translation from the book to the movie (there usually is). But this is a movie that's trying to be too many things. On the one hand, it's a "close encounters". On the other it's a horror flick(that bear scared the fuck out of me). On the other it's an intellectual flick. On the other it's a tale of loss. I mean, I dunno, pick something! The main characters are not particularly interesting or engaging and for scientists, they rarely use their brains (hence the horror flick element). Anyway, neat movie, wouldn't recommend unless you're like, really bored, which is pretty much why I watched it to begin with.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2018-05-18 at 04:40 AM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

Captain America, The Winter Soldier: 6/10
    What? I rated it lower? It's a thinner movie and the fact that HYDRA rolled out several dozen heavily armed soldiers in downtown New York to unload on Fury strains my suspension of disbelief. The fact that they did this twice makes it worse, and the second time one guy had a Gatling gun! Oh yeah but now there's THREE super-helicarrier-death-machines! Which once again proves Stark right on why he doesn't like to give the government his toys anymore... The Cap/Bucky plotline was about the only redeeming quality of this movie. CGI is better tho!
    You know in mexico/brazil people pretend to be the police all the time, but THAT breaks your immersion in a superhero movie, deary me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    You know in mexico/brazil people pretend to be the police all the time, but THAT breaks your immersion in a superhero movie, deary me.
    There's a very real reason I don't go anywhere in Latin America. There's also a very real reason that New York isn't in Brazil.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    There's a very real reason I don't go anywhere in Latin America. There's also a very real reason that New York isn't in Brazil.
    Yeah everyone knows American cops are the pinnacle of law enforcement and can never be corrupted.