Tenet - 9/10

I was expecting a great movie and it was even better. Perfect cinematography aspects, just missing the last point because some scenes are hard to follow, especially the last one (Strask 12), where I'll probably need a few other viewings of this movie to grasp entirely I guess. But I didn't expect less, I hated Memento on the first viewing and loved it from the second viewing as you can pay attention to a lot more details. Tenet will be one of those movies as well, where subsequent viewings make you look at other things than the initial one.

Also watched some russian movie, Coma/Koma - 8/10.

It has some Inception vibes in the effects and ideas, with some kind of Matrix pitch. And... I thought it worked very well. Even the acting which was not always Russian movies main quality was good in my book. The main actor is okay-ish, but I found the guy playing Phantom to be great.

Was a really refreshing movie, clearly different from classic 2020 Hollywood experience, I enjoyed it a lot.

I see You - Netflix

Started off OK but half way through the film when you see it from the other persons view it gets incredibly annoying when you're effectively watching what you've just seen from another angle.

4/10

Cinema has been shut down, so nothing from me.
    But I have been binging a little...
    Finally saw the last season of "Into the Badlands." Enjoyed it. (Widow's redemptive arc was expected but nicely nuanced which I felt was consistent for the character. But Bajie stole much of the season. He went from "magnificent bastard" in the 2nd season, to something resembling an endearing rogue.)

Okay...now for the rambling rant;
    Was given a copy (legit) of some show called the "Librarians." First season. Didn't know anything about it. When I try a show out I give it three episodes to win me over.
    omg...who gave the greenlight for this?
    I can't even...this was garbage on a level..
    ...no. I need a moment...
    The first episode plays out like an incredibly poorly written childrens' cartoon.
    No..I can't. It's painful.

The reviews are in for Mulan and I'm very excited tbh. It looked like a wuxia movie from the trailer and now according to the reviews it apparently is quite somber and adult too. It's been way too many years since a good, big budget wuxia movie was made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    The reviews are in for Mulan and I'm very excited tbh. It looked like a wuxia movie from the trailer and now according to the reviews it apparently is quite somber and adult too. It's been way too many years since a good, big budget wuxia movie was made.
    Word. So far it's been the only live action Disney remake that I'm excited about, and I can watch it sans pants without being ejected from a theater! \o/
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Mulan 5/10

Not great. It's very unsubtle and long-winded about its message of girlpower, and every frame of the movie is about that and only that. It doesn't trust that movie can speak for itself if that makes sense.

It does have some amazing big-budget sets, great action scenes and a couple of interesting characters, but there is also plenty of terrible acting, cheap looking costumes and the action scenes are far and few in between wholesome and predictable storylines. It deals in war and death, but there is no gore or actual violence. It tries to be both Disney and serious at the same time, but it's just not successful at it. The ending was lame too; it's just a big slab of cheese.

It's not a clever movie by any means, but not brainless enough to be like a superhero movie you just enjoy for the spectacle of it. Definitely a miss for me.
    Last edited by Thelxi; 2020-09-04 at 11:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's that fetish for wanting to dress an Asian chick up as a dude and bang her? Asking for a friend...

Mulan (1998): 7.5/10 Clean, dynamic animation and solid music are highlights, but it's nowhere near my favorite Disney animated flick. I remember being tired of the comic relief sidekick shtick from... every Disney Renaissance animated film ever... when I first saw this in theaters years ago, and that feeling still remains. Still, good and worth a watch. Bonus point for the talented voice cast.

Mulan (2009) 6/10 Subtitles! Violence! Betrayal! Romance! Excitement! Sadness! Gritty! Random white guy! An OK but forgettable period war drama that just so happens to feature Hua Mulan.

Mulan (2020): 6.5/10 I know I shouldn't have expected long takes of wide shots with actors and stunt persons spending 6 months perfecting action scenes, but I had hoped all that time and budget were put into more than just wonderful costumes and sets. Hell, Jessica Henwick's work in Iron Fist's season 2 was less butchered, and that was... fucking Iron Fist. Embrace the genre! Show off your action! Pull the camera back and let the scene run! Goddammit! It's not Taken 3 Liam Neeson hopping a fence in 86 cuts bad, but Jesus. The slo-mo during the closing credits was more fun to watch than any of the set pieces.

But I didn't hate it. Overall, the movie was fine. It was fine. Just fine. Fine. It was nice seeing so many old, familiar faces (Cheng Pei-pei! Ming-Na Wen!), and the all too brief teases of the father / daughter dynamic bordered on touching. Bonus points for my crush on Liu Yifei, my man-crush on Donnie Yen, Christina Aguilera's version of Reflection, and having no annoying talking animal sidekicks or musical numbers. Point deduction for not meeting my unfair expectations for a more serious wuxia flick.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Mulan 5/10, how did mulan get turned into this. The addition of Chi being the reason she does good is just dumb. Waters down Mulan actual great character. I was really hoping for a more serious take on mulan, instead we got an idiot take on mulan. It tried hard to be many things at once, didnt achieve anything good. Im not gona say it was garbage like the "live action" CGI Lion king, but its not good either.

Mulan 7/10

I enjoyed it. Some of the action didn't feel as fluid as it should have, and some parts I wish they had taken their time with were rushed. Overall I still liked it. I think once I stopped trying to compared to every marvel movie (as people compare everything to these days) I was more able to enjoy it for what it was.

The Finest Hours - 5/10 (Average)

I really wanted the like the movie, but I just can't get past the absolutely awful writing. The movie has a lot of utterly nonsensical arguments. At the beginning, two groups of people in the engine room are arguing whether or not to lower the lifeboats (in a huge atlantic storm that is clear to even uninformed observers it would immediately capsize any small boat), and supposedly experienced seaman are saying this. And they're shutting down the rational solution (stick on the ship and deploy the lifeboats as a last resort) as "sitting around not doing anything". What, bailing buckets of water out of the ship's hold isn't "doing anything"? And then Miriam strolled into a commanding officer's office and started yelling at him, telling him he didn't know what he was doing, and barking orders at him. "Please call them back! PLEASE call them back!". Lady, GTFO and let the trained professionals who are in the know do their damn jobs. I just really wanted to punch Miriam in the face, and yet she is clearly presented by the movie as being supposed to be a "hero" and the CO is presented as a bad guy. Ugh. And then there are other stupid moments, where the ship is filling with water and they need to keep the air intakes above water for as long as possible, but rather than grab buckets and try to bail out water and buy time, they instead stood around and were one upping each other. *sigh*

Shoddy CGI and mediocre music aside, the rest of the film was alright. Too much time was spent on Chris Hemsworth riding the waves. A good 10 minutes of the film is just their boat going through the waves. After they cleared the bar, they really should have just skipped straight to finding the ship.

mulan 1/10

i gave it a 1 because thats all it deserved. When i get black out drunk and try and remember the night before its a bit like this movie. It skips all over the place, time has no meaning. Mulan moves faster between scenes than the unsullied between winterfell and kings landing. It was absolutely disjointed. None of the actors could act, ive seen better acting in dr who. Infact if dr who turned up it would have made sense how shoddy the production values were. I hated how they tried to use every camera trick in every fight scene it, again much like being wasted the frame tilts and then there is a cheesy close up of somebodies face (who cant act). I only gave it a one because it gave me vietnam flashbacks of my student days getting wasted and having a great time. I wonder if the movie was filmed on tik tok in 10 second scenes and then stitched together in an edit because of how broken up every scene was.

oh and that bit with the phoenix and the wings behind her, lmfao who fucking makes this shit. Anyone who gives this movie more than 2 out of 10 is an idiot.
    Last edited by jonnysensible; 2020-09-05 at 11:02 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Seeing these reviews makes me want to watch Tenet and Mulan.

My last movie was The Mummy 2017

I was in the mood for something egyptian. Well, you know things aren't going to really work in a horror movie if you get the entire backstory of the monster in the opening scene. It kills the mistery right there. And that's not even considering how little sense the plan makes. Ahmanet loses her shit cause a son is born into the family. Hey, idiots, Ramses II was succeeded by his 13th son. Infant mortality rates were pretty high. Also, bitch made a pact with Seth to....slith the throat of a few sleeping people? Okay. And apparently when the good guys dumped his sarcophagus into mercury, they left the mechanism intact to make sure it can be conveniently removed my grave robbers later, which makes very little sense when you want to contain an immortal witch. I could go on and on but this was only the first 10 minutes, so you can imagine. This shit deserves a Plinkett Review. I'm gonna give it 2/10 cause it has some shots that could be fit in a real horror movie and because Sofia Boutella is insanely hot, but everything about it is cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Seeing these reviews makes me want to watch Tenet and Mulan.
    I read that Tenet is the first big budget movie to be released since COVID and it's success will influence how budgeting of movies will work in the future since many people (including myself) are reluctant to go into a movie theater.

So...I guess you should go....for the movie industry.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I read that Tenet is the first big budget movie to be released since COVID and it's success will influence how budgeting of movies will work in the future since many people (including myself) are reluctant to go into a movie theater.

So...I guess you should go....for the movie industry.
    Well I don't really care much about Hollywood, cause the only really good movies I have seen in recent times where The Translators a French thriller and Parasite. So yeah, Hollywood can suck it. I did watch Mulan and considering the inferior music, the dumb fight coreography, the one dimensional villain and all the unscientific bullshit (Characters talking about the Silk Road, a name coined by a german dude in the 19th century and Böri Khan calling his people Rourans, which was a derogatory name used by the Chinese) I would give it 2/10. One point for the architecture, cause period accurate or not, the imperial city is stunning, and another point for the Ming-Na Wen cameo which totally stole the show. Reminds me of Emet-Selch in the Elidibus fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Well I don't really care much about Hollywood, cause the only really good movies I have seen in recent times where The Translators a French thriller and Parasite. So yeah, Hollywood can suck it. I did watch Mulan and considering the inferior music, the dumb fight coreography, the one dimensional villain and all the unscientific bullshit (Characters talking about the Silk Road, a name coined by a german dude in the 19th century and Böri Khan calling his people Rourans, which was a derogatory name used by the Chinese) I would give it 2/10. One point for the architecture, cause period accurate or not, the imperial city is stunning, and another point for the Ming-Na Wen cameo which totally stole the show. Reminds me of Emet-Selch in the Elidibus fight.
    Eh are you sure about that? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouran_Khaganate

Rouran Khaganate was one of the first mongol states and first to use the title of Khan
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I thought The New Mutants was the first big budget movie to be released since COVID-19?
    After a bit of research, it seems New Mutants had a $67 mil budget,and is a mediocre movie attached to a very large franchise, while Tenet which is $225 mil+ budget and a new IP (I guess. Idk actually I haven't followed along), and has expectations to be good.

I don't think New Mutants is a fair comparison. Maybe the article I read was about Hollywood taking big bets with new projects.

Actually I ironically also read an article today about the CEO of Netflix, Reed Hastings, who is a quiet guy who isn't like. Out and about like famous Hollywood people, and he ironically built something (Netflix) that's kinda killing Hollywood.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Eh are you sure about that? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouran_Khaganate

Rouran Khaganate was one of the first mongol states and first to use the title of Khan
    The article you linked talks about the issue in the very first paragraph. The way it is explained there is that Rouran is a chinese transcription of their names (ergo not how they would have used it) and Rouanrouan is the derogatory term used by Northern Wei (The chinese in the movie) since both the chinese and the nomads called themselves Rouran, both are technically wrong.

Mudbound - 8.5/10 - It is a movie that completely flew under my radar for several years, then I was recommended it on Netflix. Great take on societal issues, characters one cares about, an ending that is not completely good nor bad depending on which character one roots the most for.

Very glad I caught this movie.

Underwater - 4.9/10 - I just... Ugh. It gets 4.9 thanks to Vincent Cassel (I always loved him) and the setting. I suffer thalassophobia, this sort of horror movie should scare me to DEATH.

Alas, 5.1 points are deducted due to bad action trying too hard, interferring with the atmosphere in the process. It also gets minus points because it's F-ING PG13!! God I'm tired of "horror" movies wanting to allow tweens to watch them.

But the most minus, it gets from the bait and switch that it pulls. I was so SO sure that I'd get to see one of my most feared monsters in all monster mythos even conceived... Sadly, no. A wannabe for sure, but not the real thing. And zero explanations, almost zero views to give hints. The movie just throws you into something bad going on and that's it. The ending felt forced at best, along with the usual obscure "dIs EvEnT WaS ClAsSiFiEd LöL"-crap.

... I can rightly say that the bait-and-switch made me angry. Shouldn't have gone into it completely blind as I did. Low-effort horror with wasted potential makes Hamster VERY angry.

Will we EVER have a great, high budget movie tackling and SHOWING C'Thulhu in all his glory????
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-09-06 at 10:53 PM.

Richard Jewell: 7/10: This is a good movie and an interesting story, but something is off about the tone. Olivia Wilde's acting is way over the top, but i thought maybe the movie was going for that tone. Jewell was played almost to a fault as an almost real life Paul Blart. Sam Rockwell was over the top and filled with his usual sarcasm. But then Cathy Bates comes in and is fantastic, but almost out of place surrounded by caricatures. The last 20 minutes seemed to become ridiculously somber, after it was almost a comedy through the parts that should have been somber.
    Idk what the deal was here, why its all over the map. There is also a final scene that feels like a scene you would put on in high school, even the editing, lighting, camera work of the scene felt tacked on.

Its still a pretty great movie inspite of those issues. Probably because the story is actually interesting and the acting is fantastic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing much to do today and not many new offerings that interest me, so, watching some old favorites:

Welcome to Mooseport (2004) - 10/10
    Love this movie. Always cracks me up. The acting for such an "under the radar movie" is amazing. I've always been a fan of Hackman(what's it say about a guy who other actors take salary reductions in order to get him on board?) and Romano. Nothing fancy. Nothing overly witty. Just entertaining.