Malignant 8/10

Really enjoyed this one. Starts out small and ends up huge. Great pacing overall. Lots of poor acting and dumb dialogue, but the jokes were effective. Being on the phone with a demon while standing in a PD bathroom is the kind of humor that I can appreciate. There is quite a twist in the movie that isn't so much a plot twist but more of a genre twist; the whole tone of the movie changes but the transition is smooth. If this had good acting and better writing it would've made a lot of waves and money.

I haven't been that happy with Hollywood lately. Pretty much shut off soon as I seen Scarlett Johansson shoved in my face again. (Had a fun time with Godzilla vs Kong tho) So I been watching a bunch of independent movies. Also some foreign ones too. Mostly horror genre for foreign tho. Some of have been pretty good. This is an accumulation over the past couple of months. I always watched some of these type of movies.. but not as frequently.

The Deeper You Dig - 8/10
    I love this movie. Mother trying to find her daughter. I want to give it higher rating. but the ending I was a bit disagreeable with. Even though it was leading in that direction.. so it knocked off a couple points for me. Doesn't give the feeling of a low budget movie. The make up at one point is stellar with the dialogue delivered at the time. Now this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's a slow burn and haunting type of tale.

They look like people - 7/10
    More of psychological thriller. I enjoyed the acting. A guy gets to hang out with his longtime buddy again and one might have bigger issues than the other realizes. I actually enjoyed the ending of this one quite a bit. (Not a typical cliche, I usually see that with this type of movie) Low budget again.

Impossible Monsters - 6/10
    Another psychological thriller. Dreams and reality begin to blur for this man. It's alright, I give it above average.

Couple of foreign ones I feel are worth mentioning..

Rigor Mortis
    - 8/10
    Very nice art and visuals in this one. Accompany it with some weird martial arts for ghost fighting? It's pretty fun, unique and I enjoyed it. There was an actually dub of this movie. So I did inform others of it. (Compared to others I state below, that I did not see dubbed versions..) One person said it gave off a Sin City vibe right away. I enjoyed a majority of the acting in it too.

The Mimic - 6/10
    Above average... I was a bit disappointed with the ending. Family moves to a remote location, trickery and spirits about.

Tag Along - 7/10
    I guess this one was super popular, but I just recently seen it. Some parts in the movie are very good.(one really creepy scene still lingers) I guess it ended up being so popular it created multiple spin offs. I haven't gotten around to any of those yet. About an urban legend with a girl in a red dress.

The Wailing - 8/10
    I love this movie too. Pretty long runtime for a horror flick. Doesn't feel like it. Soon as the movie ended, I knew it would be one of those ones that you could go back a second time and catch things you didn't catch the first time. Was totally correct on this. A stranger comes to their village and everyone starts dying in weird ways. Blaming it on the outsider.

I'm a bit more easier on lower budget movies or ones that don't come straight out of Hollywood. As sometimes they can deliver some really neat, original stuff. I could really make a whole list of these.. but just was making a list of the ones I seen recently. (Past year)

Shang-Chi: 8/10

Likely the best Marvel origins movie since the first Iron Man. The visuals and fight choreography are on point, the villain is good, the humor is good without overdoing it, hell the writing in general isn't too shabby. I do think the pacing slows down a bit too much between the second and third act, and it does suffer from the usual Marvel third act CGI fuckfest syndrome, but I thought it really wasn't too bad until the big evil bat monster showed up. IMO the final villain should still have been the Mandarin.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Shang-Chi: 8/10

Likely the best Marvel origins movie since the first Iron Man. The visuals and fight choreography are on point, the villain is good, the humor is good without overdoing it, hell the writing in general isn't too shabby. I do think the pacing slows down a bit too much between the second and third act, and it does suffer from the usual Marvel third act CGI fuckfest syndrome, but I thought it really wasn't too bad until the big evil bat monster showed up. IMO the final villain should still have been the Mandarin.
    Agreed with most of these sentiments.

While the big end battle was definitely in the spirit of the usual MCU CGI schlockfest, I actually kinda liked that it was a big fantasy style monster fight. Made it feel a bit different compared to other MCU movies that have had almost exclusively human/humanoid antagonists. Did it make it more interesting? Nah, but it looked pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Agreed with most of these sentiments.

While the big end battle was definitely in the spirit of the usual MCU CGI schlockfest, I actually kinda liked that it was a big fantasy style monster fight. Made it feel a bit different compared to other MCU movies that have had almost exclusively human/humanoid antagonists. Did it make it more interesting? Nah, but it looked pretty cool.
    It's why I'm lenient towards them since, as predictable as they are, Kaiju fights are cool, especially when they involve Eastern dragons which are awesome by default.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Shang-Chi: 7.5/10
    Good start on the next phase, but not fully immersed yet. Early fight-scenes reminiscent of crouching tiger hidden dragon;

Dune: 8/10
    Promising start - hope it delivers.

Hmf...Shang Chi... I give it a 5/10.
    Forgettable, but it entertained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free Guy: 4/10

Old: 6/10

Venom - 6/10 - I actually enjoyed everything bar the action scenes. They were just generic CGI punchfests.

Tom Hardy did great though. Carried the film.

Will watch the 2nd one when it's out.

The Many Saints of Newark - 4.5/10.

They did a remarkable job finding actors who portrayed the mannerisms of most of your favorite characters from the Sopranos. However, the movie is just far too short to fully tell any of the stories it tries to cram in, so winds up being a meandering mess with little character development.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    No Time to Die - 6/10

While it was interesting to see the couple of Bond/Swann again, the movie just failed to impress me. The threat becomes from personal to global through a single image. Not enough justification (even through spoken exposition) for that. We (and Bond) are just told and Bond just acts on that. Malek being himself as always, but also lacks oopmh as a villain. Also fails to look aged, as he should have been.

Death of Bond serves more as a love story ending than as a sacrifice for the greater good, which someone would expect from a Bond movie. Nice turn, but actually fails to deliver any excitement about "What next"?
    /spit@Blizzard

The Green Knight - 9/10

Beautiful film. Mysterious, dreamlike and poetic. Struggled to make out some of the dialogue at times, the curse of modern cinema. Slow paced but doesn't feel slow. Perfect ending. I'll definitely watch this again.

Captain Fantastic- awesome 10/10, Fire of Saga - very stupid and funny at the same time 8/10.

Sonic, 7/10

Jim Carrey's Robotnik was an alright real-world adaptation, but I didn't like them adapting to the real-world in general. Rather than the movie being about a fantastical adventure in Sonic's own worlds it kind of forces a setting more familiar to the audience on it and the perspective of a regular affable human dude instead of just having it be all about Sonic. He's also quite a kid in this movie with loneliness issues, which I don't recall were any sort of themes in the 90's games I played.

So, I kind of liked the movie, it was entertaining. But that's all it is. The way I see it the movie is as much a bastardization as the Super Mario movie from the 90's. Taken as a 'What if Sonic was based in our world?' it kind of works, but it's not what I wanted. It requires taking too many liberties, changing core parts of the source material, leaving any faithful bits mere easter eggs for the old time fans to spot. You can apply a lot with, say, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but Sonic's a harder fit for the setting they chose.

I do commend the studio for going back on Sonics design after the initial backlash to the first trailer. What I said above would apply more had they not.

Overall, this isn't a movie made for those of us who played the Sonic games in the 90's, but rather a fresh take for a new generation. It's clearly a kids movie, not for me.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The Many Saints of Newark - 4.5/10.

They did a remarkable job finding actors who portrayed the mannerisms of most of your favorite characters from the Sopranos. However, the movie is just far too short to fully tell any of the stories it tries to cram in, so winds up being a meandering mess with little character development.
    I like the theory that the whole thing was just one of Christopher Moltisanti's failed screenplays. 4.5 is generous id go lower probably a 2.

Speaking of 2's that new James Bond film, there where parts that if austin powers had jumped out and shouted 'yeaaa baby, shagadelic' and started dancing it wouldnt have been out of place. I burst out laughing in the cinema when the new 007 did the 'its time to die' and kicked that badly played crazy scientist to his death. it was almost as if the whole movie stopped, she looked directly down the camera at me and said 'its time to die' so fucking cheesy, absolutely hilarious though. The one liners were all shite, the actors were quite poor especially that Rami Malek guy. Comically bad. You could tell it was written by loads of people because it was a bit all over. Too long, spectre are boring, and it was just flat out bad.

finally saw Free Guy in a movie theater.

I really want to give it 10/10 . I don't know if it necessarily is a perfect movie and it probably isn't, but holy hell did i have fun watching it. it was just the right length and was IMO paced perfectly. there wasn't a single moment where I felt distracted or bored.

The Night House 7/10

I was looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. It's no masterpiece but the main actress was very convincing which really augments the horror. The writing was ok. Clever and funny in some parts, pretty abstract in others, the dialogue not the best. Overall pretty solid.

Crimson Peak - 4/10 J. Chastain does an admirable job, but this was a pretty 'eh' premise, and not remotely scary or suspenseful.

Pig - 5/10 Much like the above movie, there's good acting here, but it's not enough. Some great bits here (the lunch conversation) overshadowed by dumb elements that seemed to not even fit (the secret basement scene).

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No Time to Die: 8/10

Was the best of the Daniel Craig James Bond movies to date. The extra year they had to work on post was done well by them and there wasn't any issues I noticed in other films that had the same extra time for post with bad green screen editing and the such. I will go see this movie again and will not post any spoilers because that is just wrong...even with the spoiler tag added.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even Lambs Have Teeth: 4/10 Mediocre rape revenge flick with some terrible acting and wack music. Bonus point for Kirsten Prout's spandex shorts.

There's Someone Inside Your House: 4/10 There's not enough to like in this whodunit, and when you find out who done it, their motivations are a bit weak. It might have helped if the characters were more fleshed out.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi