Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Petite Maman 10/10

The best newly released film in the US. A masterpiece.
    Another great movie from Sciamma to go with the superb Portrait of a Lady on Fire.
    "yOu aRe wRoNg" - Darththeo

Firestarter (2022) 2/10

Incredibly lazy cinematography despite working with a bit of a budget. Bad acting across the board. Paper thin entirely unoriginal and predictable plot. Script not even remotely tethered to reality. Everything was probably shot in one or two takes, "meh good enough". If Stephen King was dead he'd be rolling in his grave.

It gets a point because it made me laugh more than once (the captain's acting behind the glass at the end of the movie!), and an extra point for the 80s synthwave music. I'd give it another point for reminding me of the far superior and quite similar Brightburn (2019) but I'm not that generous.

Firestarter 0/10

Awful, cheap, low budget. Terrible acting, sound design, and editing. Awful cinematography too. No redeeming value.

Candyman(2021) 7/10

Oddly sterilized film that says a lot but ultimately means very little. Great sound design though!

The Batman: 9/10. wow, this is what I've been wanting out of a Batman movie ever since the Nolan trilogy and it gave me things I didn't even know I wanted! not going to go all into the it since it would spoil a lot. but to keep it short: Batman finally doing detective things, also not killing his parents again, also maybe his parents had some skeletons in the closet. also it questions not only Bruce's motivations but also his methods. and it does so without drawing attention to itself, it does the movie thing of showing, not telling to your face.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-05-15 at 07:51 PM.

Saving Private Ryan: 9/10.

Rewatched it again. The only movie to make me cry in my adult years. (No I did not cry this time.)

10+ Year Old Account
    The Batman: 7/10

The first half is great, but it just delves into nonsensical territory on the second. Overall, a pretty good adaptation.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Firestarter (2022) 2/10

Incredibly lazy cinematography despite working with a bit of a budget. Bad acting across the board. Paper thin entirely unoriginal and predictable plot. Script not even remotely tethered to reality. Everything was probably shot in one or two takes, "meh good enough". If Stephen King was dead he'd be rolling in his grave.

It gets a point because it made me laugh more than once (the captain's acting behind the glass at the end of the movie!), and an extra point for the 80s synthwave music. I'd give it another point for reminding me of the far superior and quite similar Brightburn (2019) but I'm not that generous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Firestarter 0/10

Awful, cheap, low budget. Terrible acting, sound design, and editing. Awful cinematography too. No redeeming value.
    When I heard about this movie being remade I wondered then - "Why?" And "What's the point?" And "Yeah, I doubt this is going to be any good." I mean the first version is good enough, especially for 80s /King "horror" adaptations. But it isn't a plot that needs more than one movie/book about it.

Good to see the remake machine has again validated my opinion.

Of all the King movies that could, or should, be remade - this was not one of them.

However - I doubt King would be rolling in his grave (if he was dead) or is really 'bothered' by this adaptation. As he's greenlit pretty much every grade of adaptation in his career from his old "Dollar Babies" to film students' (talk about generous authors) to all the crazy C-and below quality conversions of his stories that barely count as 'adaptations' and certainly aren't 'good movies' by any metric.

The ONLY one he's ever had a "real" problem with was the one he actually sued to get his name removed from - Lawnmower Man - because of how much it was NOT his story. And I'm shocked myself that's been the only one he counted as that egregious. =D He really is more of the "hey what you do with my stuff is your story - have at it" type of author for the most part.

(Though the - "paper thin/unoriginal/predictable plot" point I'm a bit confused on as I would expect this movie to be anything but original - as its an adaptation of a book written in 1980? So of course its unoriginal and predictable? Lol - just amused me even if that wasn't necessarily the way you meant it. )
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-05-18 at 06:07 PM. Reason: combining posts
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Manchester by the Sea: 5/10 - Probably a bit harsh of a score, as the cinematography, sound, and editing are all great for the most part in this (even if some of the boats etc are a bit too "clean). The flashbacks are quite frequent and never confuse the viewer.

I found Affleck's stony portrayal didn't help the film.... sure, you can understand why he is the way he is, but it doesn't come across as terribly real. Gretchen Mol is largely pointless here, and not enough screen time is given to Michelle Williams. And after all of it, it just sort of .... ends. I can see why people enjoyed it, but something is missing in the overall delivery.

The Northman 7/10

The problem I have with this movie is that it's artsy but not very artful. It's too slow for how little it has to say. It's like a superhero movie without the special effects, but instead with color drained pretentiousness and abstract dialogue.

Having said that, I fucking love this cast. So damn good every single one of them. Just perfect. I wish the writing was a tad better so that they could've all won oscars for this.

Doctor Strange and the MoM 6/10

There's alot of really exceptional imagery layed on top of a very small plot.

I liked Zombie Strange. I didn't like Vision and Tilda Swinton being entirely absent.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2022-05-19 at 02:10 PM.

More bad comic book movies….

Heavy Metal 2000
    2/10

Boring animation, bad music editing and I expected better from Michael Ironside’s voice work.
    +1 for at least giving me the occasional giggle.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Batman: There was a lot I liked, but a there was enough to to give me pause and I feel a rating wouldn't do the film justice(But hey at least he's not killing).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything Everywhere All At Once: 8/10

Excellent movie but I felt it was a bit too on the maximalist side. I wished a more nuanced and subtle approach, everything was too balls on the walls.

Basically a crossing between It's a Wonderful Life and the Matrix, a sentence I never knew I'd write.

Men 8/10

Really good! I loved the strangeness of it and the third act is spectacular.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife 6.5/10

Charming set-up but the plot collapsed under the weight of the Gozer mythology. Not terrible and I enjoyed the new cast.

Everything everywhere all at once

8/10

Good film, it felt like lynch had just watched suckerpunch and phoned one of his mates to get a bag to make a movie

I like lynch and suckerpunch

3+ Year Old Account
    The Batman

5/10

It was good and Zoe Kravitz was hot and an awesome catwoman. But it was so slow and I actually fell asleep midway. Just boring for me. Unpopular opinion I know. I don't care lol
    Last edited by PsychoSe7eN; 2022-05-21 at 12:08 AM.

Universal solder 6

10/10 one of the best these days

Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 4/10
    As shown in the trailer, it is about Chip and Dale and their TV show, how it got started, how it ended, and what they have been doing since then.
    The writing is rather lazy and uninspired, the story bland and the twists can be seen coming from a mile away.
    The jokes rely heavily on memes and internet humour, and at least half of the jokes do not register with kids.
    For older people, like me, who grew up with the cartoon it feels lackluster. At times it is just plain mean to the characters we grew up with and loved.
    One character and the joke about him in particular is outright sick. Peter Pan grew up, got acne, and fired. No more roles for him, just like his original model and VA Bobby Driscoll

I do not get for whom this movie was made. It's not suited for kids, teenagers have no nostalgia connection, and the older folks with the nostalgia will not like how the characters are treated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.