The Last Waltz - 10/10

My wife and I have been planning to rewatch it after Robbie Robertson passed away. We finally did last night. Still the best concert movie that I have ever seen.

FYI, my wife was at the concert in her very early 20s. Ticket for the 5-hour long concert was a whooping $25.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2023-09-03 at 12:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Barbie: 6/10

Using quasi-feminist ideals about the patriarchy which is depicted by gym bros and corporatism as the epitomes of toxic masculinity and possibly the worst things since the Third Reich, while at the same time showcasing how cool and hip mega corporations like Mattel are, I couldn't help but feel impressed by the way such a movie was marketed: a 2 hour long commercial.

Sociopolitical drivel aside, the direction and set pieces/choreography are the big highlights.

I don't know, I kinda liked it I guess, but holy hell was I cringing for at least half the movie for the obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Barbie: 6/10

Using quasi-feminist ideals about the patriarchy which is depicted by gym bros and corporatism as the epitomes of toxic masculinity and possibly the worst things since the Third Reich, while at the same time showcasing how cool and hip mega corporations like Mattel are, I couldn't help but feel impressed by the way such a movie was marketed: a 2 hour long commercial.

Sociopolitical drivel aside, the direction and set pieces/choreography are the big highlights.

I don't know, I kinda liked it I guess, but holy hell was I cringing for at least half the movie for the obvious reasons.
    There is nothing in the world that could make me watch a movie about Barbie. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    There is nothing in the world that could make me watch a movie about Barbie. Not going to happen.
    I'm going to watch it for two reasons:
    1 - Ryan Gosling's hairdo.
    2 - I want to see what a global shortage of pink paint looks like.

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: 6.5/10

It's... fine. A very solid adventure movie that pays adequate respect to D&D in most aspects. It also has some solid acting and interesting characters, which I honestly didn't expect. No love story between Edgin and Holga? Xenk doesn't just join the party but simply leaves? What is this madness, since when do Hollywood writers know restraint rather than falling head-first into every trope and played-out plot line ever conceived?!

That being said, I cannot help but feel this movie is 10 years old, or something. It's a solid film and all, but it's just... nothing more than that. It's neither particularly original nor surprising, and though the above-mentioned eschewed tropes are refreshing, on the whole this does still feel entirely formulaic. Everyone could predict both the plot and the ending after 20 minutes. It doesn't do anything interesting, new, or exciting on its base level, and the little nose-exhale moments are largely confined to small details (like having a fat dragon, which was genuinely amusing and well thought-out) and not the larger framing of events.

The villains in particular are just so, so far below the rest of the movie it's almost comical. Having Szass Tam pulling the strings is a good choice since he's one of the all-time great bad guys in the setting, but that makes his proxy Sofina feel like a superfluous character and it shows. She feels wasted and underutilized, and has perhaps the weakest acting and the weakest CGI of the entire film. Very disappointing. Same with the Thay assassins, who never get to develop and just get done away with like the set pieces they are. Great stories need great villains, and just dropping the name Szass Tam and showing 30 seconds of flashback and 15 seconds of something in the shadows somewhere does not for a compelling bad guy make.

So while the film is competently executed and does not insult the franchise like so many people feared, it also never rises above the formulaic like so many other assembly-line Hollywood productions based on popular IP. Yeah D&D itself is a trope-fest, too, for sure, but they should have done better. They've proven they can do things differently with the touches they added to some of the details, but they just didn't dare to be creative enough with the plot and setup. Which is something we desperately need these days, because that's exactly what I mean when I say this feels like it's a 10-year old movie: I can't shake the feeling of I've seen this, I know this, I'm bored by this, even though this is the first real D&D movie (let's just forget about those other ones). The movie doesn't do anything truly exciting, and that's such a shame given the world, material, and talent it has to work with.

5+ Year Old Account
    Yesterday, I watched Awake on Netflix. The plot just destroyed me. Never seen such profound evil and duality. I would rate it 9/10 cause the ending was rather satisfying but they could extend it more.

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King

10/10

Because my friends, you bow to no one

The Flash

Didn't expect anything going into it because of all the drama around the movie, Ezra and that I just feel exhausted of superhero movies. But it was quite good! It didn't take it self seriously, it was quite interesting and they made the multiverse stuff fun and a bit exciting. Made both me and my wife laugh a lot. They REALLY hit the nail with the comedy in this one.

Out of the "comedy" movies this year, this was on par with D&D I think.

7/10.

Past Lives -- 9 / 10

Easily the most melancholic love story I've seen since Eternal Sunshine. (Ironically, a character in the movie instructs another one to watch this film.) Slow but purposeful, it approaches a delicate subject matter with the perfect amount of care and attention to detail. Performances are excellent as is the writing and dialogue. The wispy soundtrack pulls everything together, culminating in a devastatingly bittersweet ending that leaves viewers satisfied yet longing for more.

Shoot your shot, kings. Jesus.

10+ Year Old Account
    No Hard Feelings: 6/10 Jennifer Lawrence tries really hard. Bonus point for her effort, and for the movie not having a cliche ending.

The Lake (2022): 4/10 The Host, Godzilla 98, Jurassic Park, Lake Placid, and Halloween Kills had a big, dumb baby. I think the movie was trying to tell me that humans are the real monsters, even though some giant fishgatortadpolething literally ripped through dozens of people unprovoked? Dunno, I almost nodded off a few times. Plot was meh. Pacing was weird in spots. CGI for the monster was OK. Suitmation was not. Point deducted for the movie not having Vithaya Pansringarm beat the crap out of Ryan Gosling to an awesome Cliff Martinez score.

The Last Voyage of the Demeter: 6/10 Alien on a boat, but without the tension and suspense. It was... OK? Expected more. I appreciate that Dracula looked more like an otherworldly Count Orlok and less like some handsome and suave Lugosi, Langela, or Oldman. Good atmosphere. Convincing ship-at-sea effects. Cast was decent.

Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead: 5/10 Didn't read the manga or watch the anime. Eiji Akaso is a likeable enough MC in a mostly forgettable zombocalypse flick that gets so dumb it's almost awesome.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Super Mario Bros. 5/10

It was cute, had some fun nostalgia and okay performances, but it was so bland and mediocre. I'm sure my nieces loved it but it didn't have much to offer for me.
    /s

Men in black 1997 9/10. i got around to rewatching the entire MiB trilogy and i gotta say i forgot how good and fun to watch these movies were and still are. besides the main cast i would like to point out how great vincent d'onofrio played the role of edgar suited alien
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

On a bit of a Korean movie binge lately...

Return to Seoul -- 7/10

I'm not sure what I expected when I started watching this movie but the first thing that stood out to me was how completely unlikable the main character of the movie is. Her acting is great (and apparently this is her only acting credit) but the decisions she makes throughout the movie are straight-up repulsive. She is a terrible friend, an even worse daughter and the movie culminates with her essentially learning nothing from her self-destructive journey. There's an entire subplot with a Tinder date that feels completely unnecessary. The music was excellent and the cinematography was gorgeous but the movie left me feeling annoyed instead of satisfied. I'd still recommend giving it a shot if you're a fan of Korean cinema because even though it didn't sit well with me, the specific story it tells may resonate more with different audiences.

No One Will Save You 5/10

Truly the most quirky movie I have ever seen. It's about a mute girl with an aggressive passion for ugly floral prints, browns and olive greens, who murdered her childhood friend and mother. She spends her days deciding between ugly dresses on her million dollar country estate, curling her hair and cutting flowers from her rose garden to leave at her mother's grave while the townspeople throw dirty looks at her, and occasionally spit in her face. She usually cozies up to a cup of tea to watch the sunset on her carpeted dock at her private lake. To deal with the guilt she feels for her murders she often writes poems in cursive to her victims, and then hangs them up in her 3rd bedroom.

It is also a horror movie though, and before long she puts on her best high wasted and belted ochre pants, and aliens start following her around. They nibble her quirky ankles as she runs through her painting studio into her basement which is also her dress-making studio. There is a bit of moaning and groaning as the aliens twist her arm and get stuck in furniture. Occasionally she has moments where she overcomes her self-loathing, grabs the nearest curling iron and kills a couple of them. She also uses a lighter to explode her car which a clumsy alien gets stuck in.

Eventually the aliens decide to beam her up to the mothership. Horrified by her personality and taste they decide they want nothing to do with her and beam her back down to earth. Instead of possessing her like everyone else they force her to live in a hellscape of quirk where everyone is now wearing ugly floral prints and dancing to old-timey music. The movie ends with her overcoming her guilt and maniacally cackling at the alien-possessed townsfolk.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Project Wolf Hunting - 10/10

Nothing new story wise. A group of despicable Korean criminals – rapists, mass murderers etc. – are being expatriated to South Korea from the Philippines by cargo ship. When one of the convicts sets his plan to escape into motion, all hell breaks loose. Lousy script. It could be use as the perfect example on how not to do an action movie. So why the 10? Tasteless gore to the max. Superb acting. Even covered in tattoos Seo In Guk was gorgeous. I could have sworn my wife was drooling watching his scenes.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2023-09-23 at 11:29 PM.

Expendables 4 0/10

Horrible. I can't believe this was released in theaters. WGA/SAG strike has the business at the literal bottom of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Expendables 4 0/10

Horrible. I can't believe this was released in theaters. WGA/SAG strike has the business at the literal bottom of the barrel.
    Was it only released because of the Strikes? I know that filming finished almost 2 years ago...so they had time to do re-shoots. Did they just have so little faith in it they were going to keep it on ice but the strikes are kind of forcing them to release whatever they have?

- - - Updated - - -

Project Wolf Hunting - 10/10

Nothing new story wise. A group of despicable Korean criminals – rapists, mass murderers etc. – are being expatriated to South Korea from the Philippines by cargo ship. When one of the convicts sets his plan to escape into motion, all hell breaks loose. Lousy script. It could be use as the perfect example on how not to do an action movie. So why the 10? Tasteless gore to the max. Superb acting. Even covered in tattoos Seo In Guk was gorgeous. I could have sworn my wife was drooling watching his scenes.
    Con Air 2: I'm on a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Was it only released because of the Strikes? I know that filming finished almost 2 years ago...so they had time to do re-shoots. Did they just have so little faith in it they were going to keep it on ice but the strikes are kind of forcing them to release whatever they have?
    No, I mean there is nothing taking premium screens from major motion pictures that allows Expendables 4 to be exhibited.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Con Air 2: I'm on a boat.
    No Nicholas Cage which is a plus.

Con Air with a dash of Alien as in WW2 Japanese super soldier woke up and went berserk plus 2.5 tons of fake blood.

It is basically a South Korean gore movie with A list movie stars. Profoundly stupid and immature in a good way.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2023-09-24 at 10:03 PM.

No Nicholas Cage which is a plus.
    How DARE you.

And on the internet! Have you no shame.