Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Life of Pi. -10/10. I am SO glad I wasn't the one paying for it. I watched the Hobbit for the second time immediately before that (we did two movies), and of course give that a 10/10.
    Just a question, what made you hate Life of Pi so much? It was a brilliant film adaption to a brilliant book, especially when compared to the hobbit (Which I really liked but seem to be one of the only people on the forums who didn't give it a 10/10)

This is 40 - 5/10

Some pretty good laughs here and there but a pretty aimless movie overall. Was a bit ashamed to be at the theater with The Hobbit showing and not having seen it, but instead going to see the above. Went with family and The Hobbit doesn't interest everyone.

Snow Buddies: was babysitting xmas eve and is good little kid fare, 9/10 for the 7 and under crowd, 4/10 for everyone else unless you really, really love golden retriever puppies.

Elf: What can I say? I'm a sucker for Will Ferrell and elves. 8.5/10

Les Miserables: 3/10. This one was a real disappointment for me personally. The singing generally sucked and as a film adaptation of a musical 90% of the film involved singing. Some actors couldn't even hit their notes correctly. Why does Hollywood insist on putting in big name actors at the expense of quality? The film would have been better off with more Broadway actors in minor/supporting roles and/or well known actors that are not necessarily A list but could carry a tune.

Super 8: Solid; really geared towards the preteen crowd but entertaining family friendly fare, although not Spielberg's finest. 7/10

Cloverfield: watched this again and had forgotten how much this movie had depicted the monster invading NYC right, only giving us glimpses until the dramatic reveal halfway through the film. 9/10

The Hobbit: 10/10, I feel this film should have been made before the LOTR series but oh well. Still top notch.

Going to watch Sinister and continue my Stanley Kubrick marathon now that school's out for winter break.

Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    Saw Django Unchained today and it was absolutely marvelous. There was not a single bad performance, the comedy and drama were well balanced and paced perfectly. Some claim that it is a bit of a long film at a hair over 2 1/2 hours, but I thought the storytelling and the presence of the characters kept my attention and moved the film along just fine. As with other Tarrantino films, cinematography was brilliant, score and soundtrack superb, and as aforementioned, there was not a single bad performance by any actor in the film. Naturally, Christoph Waltz and Jamie Foxx were a great match, but I found Samuel L Jacksons performance particularly engaging, as he does a lot of "Samuel L" type stuff, but you can actually *feel* him go beyond that to play the character not as himself, but truer to role.

9.5/10, as I believe there is no such thing as perfect, but in my world, in this genre, this is as close as they come.
    Django Unchained.
    I'd have to agree with that assessment completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw Django Unchained on Christmas with some family. Quintessential Tarantino.

Not my favorite film of his, I'm partial to Pulp Fiction, but it was a great spaghetti western, and Christoph Waltz is becoming one of my favorite actors to watch onscreen. I thought Leonardo Dicaprio did a good job playing the villain, his scene with the skull is quite memorable.

9/10 for me.

Deleted
    Just finished watching Street Fighter from 1994. 8/10! Mainly because it was an amazing nostalgic trip for me. I loved that movie when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    Just finished watching Street Fighter from 1994. 8/10! Mainly because it was an amazing nostalgic trip for me. I loved that movie when I was young.
    My biggest gripe on that movie is how they cast a very very French actor to play the American Guile lol.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Amazing Spider-Man uhh idk 8.5 out of 10. They guy that played Peter Parker seemed more like PP then Toby did for sure. The movie is pretty good thou I think the reason why I give it a 8.5 instead of a 9 or 10 is because it is kinda forgetful unlike Captain America,Iron Man,Thor,Avengers,X-Men FC,

Oh my God.

Django Unchained was just..amazing.

10/10.

The amount of humor, levelled perfectly with seriousness and emotional parts were just astounding.

If Leonardo Decraprio or Jamie Foxx, or Christopher Waltz, don't win a Golden Globe or Academy Award for Best Supporting/Leading Actor, I'm flip a table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Iron Sky

7/10

The movie started out great, got it slowly got more boring as the movie went on. It still quite entertained me trough, and the Downfall parody was hilarious.

Deleted
    Rocky 1-4 I will rate them all as 8/10.

Everytime I watch them I just want to get in the ring and fight someone! So pumped right now! AAAAAAH

Deleted
    Sinister - 8.5/10
    Way too many obvious clues as to what was happening, would of preferred more mystery but that's Hollywood for you.

Chained - 8/10
    I liked the concept but wasn't too happy with the ending, I sort of guessed the twist halfway through, and the execution of it was kinda poor.

Bait - 8/10
    Really enjoyed this film, typical popcorn movie.

When in Bruges

Fantastic acting, 8.5/10

Sinister: 5.5/10, would have been better as a psychological thriller. Good premise but not so good execution.

Cold Weather: a little background on me before I review: mid 20s female with hipster tendencies living in Portland, Oregon. What is this film about? Most of it is the daily minutiae of living as a 20 something hipster in Portland, Oregon, with lots of inside jokes about Portland living and hipsters. By all accounts I should love this film. And I did, parts of it...the slow, laborious pace that is typical of a city where 20 somethings come to retire; the lackadaisical way the protagonist goes about living his life with all of his quirks and oddities. Up to the ending: 9.5/10, maybe even a 10/10.

The ending: -1000000000/10.

All in all I'd give Cold Weather a -999,999,990.5/10. Yeah, the ending really is that bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I caught Seven Psycopaths yesterday at the dollar-something theater. I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially Walken toward the end, but I wouldn't call it a good movie. I give it a 6ish/10 because I like a little absurdity once in a while.

Django Unchained
    9.5/10

I loved the movie, it was wildly entertaining, great performances, great story, and a great showing of the times. I am not sure how impacting of a movie it really is, but it's one of my favorite Tarantino films. It was a brilliant film and one of the best of the year and definitely worth repeated viewing to analyze the motives of each character and some of the scenes were the actions seemed questionable. Not in the mood to write a full review at the moment, so that is it.

The Grey
    6.7/10

It was a really solid movie, but it lost a lot of the suspense it could have simply because of how fake the wolves and the wolf mauling scenes looked. The poetic parts worked well, but i t was also very predictable, and got very repetitive with "5 minute talk scene", "5 minute death scene" format, all of the development seemed wasted because you knew the only person who had a chance at getting out alive was Liam Neeson. Not going to go too in depth, but yeah those are my main complaints really.

I Am Legend
    6.3/10

It is very rusty and although the movie is old the CGI zombies did not age well and look incredibly fake. There wasn't to much to this really that really brought it anywhere, and the ending was pretty bland in the fact I saw it coming. I don't know, it just didn't impress me, yet I can't give this movie anything below a fresh rating (6/10), because it isn't bad, but didn't really soar like it could have.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2012-12-30 at 06:59 AM.

Deleted
    I saw the Phantom Menace, but with Rifftrax, because that's the only way I can watch that steaming turdpile.

You should really check out Rifftrax, they are awesome. Formerly known as Myster Science Theater 3000, a TV-series they used to have.
    I have two videos on my channel that have some clips from two other riffs they've done.

The Happening riff clips
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFmxmPf0lU8

Battlefield Earth riff clips
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H25cd2p_taE

Rifftrax home page, incase you've fallen in love with them already!
    http://www.rifftrax.com/

Ye be warned all who enter, thare be spoilers below! Yarg!

Skyfall: 7.5/10
    Not my favorite Bond movie, but its definitely up there. The problem I had with it was that the villain really wasn't that huge.Typically in bond films the villain is out to steal billions of dollars in money/items, blow up a country, or take over a place. In this the bad guy built a small criminal empire essentially to kill on old chick he didn't like because she screwed him over 15 years prior. The big blots of usual bond movies usually help carry them along, even through the slow parts. This film had good pacing, and was beautiful, but I kept feeling like there really wasn't a point during it. It seems like there was a million other ways bond could have Saved M and defeated the bad guy (who I though was great for what he was). And in the end it really was all for naught.

The Hobbit: 8.5/10
    The Hobbit, imo, was fantastic. I have no idea why some reviewers and fans are hating on it so much. I had way more fun watching it than the fellowship of the ring, and the Hobbit was a prequel Tolkien wrote for kids, so of course its going to have some semi childish comic relief every so often. People comparing Radagast to Jar Jar Binks are out of their minds.
    The only thing I didn't really like was the fact they used "to much" CGI. I liked what they did with the LoTR trilogy, the full body makeup and prosthetic made orcs seem more real and nasty.

Django Unchained: 9.5/10 One of Tarantino's best works.
    This film pretty much had everything. Great acting, well placed comic relief and pacing, and it had great dialogue. I went in with high expectations and was actually surprised that it was better than I thought it would be. For instance, at the beginning of the KKK type raid scene when Jonah Hill's character shows up I though I was going to start groaning. It turned out to be one of the funniest scenes I have ever watched in a movie.
    The only real improvement I think it could use would be a couple of sequences were Django is first learning how to be skilled with a gun. All the training scenes we see are at the end of winter when he has gotten really good. A few minutes spent showing him being bad, and then improving over the weeks leading up to the scenes where his is shooting bottles left and right would make it a little better.
    Last edited by Defengar; 2012-12-30 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Ye be warned all who enter, thare be spoilers below! Yarg!

Skyfall: 7.5/10
    Not my favorite Bond movie, but its definitely up there. The problem I had with it was that the villain really wasn't that huge.Typically in bond films the villain is out to steal billions of dollars in money/items, blow up a country, or take over a place. In this the bad guy built a small criminal empire essentially to kill on old chick he didn't like because she screwed him over 15 years prior. The big blots of usual bond movies usually help carry them along, even through the slow parts. This film had good pacing, and was beautiful, but I kept feeling like there really wasn't a point during it. It seems like there was a million other ways bond could have Saved M and defeated the bad guy (who I though was great for what he was). And in the end it really was all for naught.

The Hobbit: 8.5/10
    The Hobbit, imo, was fantastic. I have no idea why some reviewers and fans are hating on it so much. I had way more fun watching it than the fellowship of the ring, and the Hobbit was a prequel Tolkien wrote for kids, so of course its going to have some semi childish comic relief every so often. People comparing Radagast to Jar Jar Binks are out of their minds.
    The only thing I didn't really like was the fact they used "to much" CGI. I liked what they did with the LoTR trilogy, the full body makeup and prosthetic made orcs seem more real and nasty.

Django Unchained: 9.5/10 One of Tarantino's best works.
    This film pretty much had everything. Great acting, well placed comic relief and pacing, and it had great dialogue. I went in with high expectations and was actually surprised that it was better than I thought it would be. For instance, at the beginning of the KKK type raid scene when Jonah Hill's character shows up I though I was going to start groaning. It turned out to be one of the funniest scenes I have ever watched in a movie.
    The only real improvement I think it could use would be a couple of sequences were Django is first learning how to be skilled with a gun. All the training scenes we see are at the end of winter when he has gotten really good. A few minutes spent showing him being bad, and then improving over the week leading up to the scenes where his is shooting bottles left and right would make it a little better.

People have compared Radagast to Jar Jar? That really shows how completely and utterly ignorant people are. Most of those who do probably haven't even read the book either. Ignorant clods, makes me furious.

The "too much CGI" might be sorta correct though, now that you mention it. They used it a lot more than in the LotR movies it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    All these good reviews for the Hobbit...awesome, film is playing across the street from my house so I'm pumped. Glad to read that people think Freeman did a good job, I was kindof skeptical as to how he'd do after watching a few of the previews.

The Shining -- 8.5/10, continuing my Stanley Kubrick marathon. Loved Jack Nicholson but Shelley Duvall was just...I can't put my finger on it but there was something off about her performance, it wasn't bad but it could have been better. The ending was interesting, I don't remember it being in the book...lots of differences from the source material in general but everyone here probably knows that, I'm probably the last person on earth who hasn't seen this movie :P

Dr. Strangelove and Clockwork Orange next.
    Oh god I love Dr. Strangelove