Captain Marvel 6.5/10
    Decent Marvel flick, but nothing amazing tbh. Hope Endgame lives up to the hype.

Glass 6/10
    Score is only that high because I was a fan of Unbreakable and Split. In a vacuum this was a pretty average movie and I was a bit disappointed.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Otherwise - Venom - 4/10 - Finally got around to it.... I've lost faith in anything Sony and this was another clusterfuck of poor attempts at humor with CGI that seems like it was 70% finished and Sony said "Great! Send it out!".
    Foreign markets, especially China, loved it. Made something like three times its domestic and grossed over $850 million in total on a $100 million budget. Even when you factor in foreign take away cuts and marketing Sony made bank.

For me, I chalk it up to the weight of Tom Hardy and an interesting anti-hero even for those who aren't really in to comics. Carnage could be fun with Herrelson, a much tighter script and a fully-embraced R rating but I don't have high hopes when the current formula seems to work for them.

Black Summer - Work in progress

Even after all the zombie exhaustion I still can't help myself when it comes to them. Whether it's the good, the bad or the ugly. While it's not as good as Dead Set I'd say it's better than The Walking Dead even though it's just as likely to cause my eyes to roll although much less frequently. It's not only the first and last five minutes which are interesting as seen in other series and while the chapter breaks to switch between characters was jarring at first it's something which has grown on me to tolerate.

The biggest issue with it is that it's full of conveniences in order for the story to progress. Knowing where to go, meeting each other, critical locations left unchecked, escape routes and general inconsistencies range from "well, maybe they got lucky" to full-blown stupidity. The rules set out for the undead are also bizarre. It's clear that they respond to sight and sound (usually) but they go full-blown Mantracker.

Other oddities being the fact that the power still works after six weeks of the outbreak, the characters understanding Korean, the timeline itself, the fact that blows to the head seems to escape every body even though they've seen it work and overall situational awareness faults. They also make great use of the no reload/unlimited ammo cheat.

The acting and the script aren't great but are serviceable especially when you consider the source. I like these guys more than the cast from both (Fear) The Walking Dead but that's not really saying a whole lot either. Would have been nice to get some more character development though as the prologues for each are incredibly short for anything other than generic archtypes.

It's strictly okay / This is actually made by The Asylum
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-04-13 at 11:21 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

John Carter - 5/10
    Not as bad as I thought it would be, but doesn’t really have anything particularly positive going for it other than maybe the dog thing. Acting, cgi and story are all fairly lacklustre.

Hellboy - 3/10

Just bad acting almost all the way around. Coolest shots are in the trailers.

The Nun - absolutely dire. How on earth this got any traction whatsoever amazes me. Glad I didn't see this at the cinema. Aside from it not being scary it just relied way too heavily on the quiet quiet JUMP method. As soon as you eealise this it's not scary in the slightest as you know within 10 seconds of it being quiet there will be some sort of "jump"

Blockers: 7.5 ~ 10 Some funny and heartfelt moments, but I have to take off a point for feeling dirty watching high school chicks talk about blowjobs.

Everybody Wants Some!! 7.5 ~ 10 Aside from a handful of good performances and an awesome soundtrack, it wasn't as memorable as Dazed and Confused.

Halloween (2018) 8 ~ 10 Jamie Lee Curtis and the score were really good. Ignoring a few quibbles, there was a lot to like. Pretty solid flick.

ninjaedit:

Hellboy (2019) 2 ~ 10 Decent monster effects and gore spoiled by a clunky mess of a movie. Jesus.
    Last edited by Ayirasi; 2019-04-16 at 07:20 PM.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Captain Marvel - 8.5 outta 10. really enjoyed it. I put on the same level as Thor: Ragnarok, which I really enjoyed too.

Hellboy (2019): 5/10

It was funny, and I think whats-his-name did a good Hellboy. He was certainly no Ron Pearlman though. There's a definite lack of expression in the face though, not sure if that's an actor issue or a makeup issue and it really hurts the character. The supporting characters are all pretty good though so that really helps. Ian McShane is always great too of course. Honestly there were times I felt like he was in the wrong movie. It was impressively gory though, to the point where the gore lost its shock value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "Goodness is not goodness that seeks advantage. Good is good in the final hour, in the deepest pit without hope, without witness, without reward. Virtue is only virtue in extremis."
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Cancelled my Netflix account a couple days ago due to watching way too much stuff and some financial considerations. On the way out I decided to "reward" myself with a couple of "gems":

The Hulk 4/10
    I think I might be under-rating this movie because of many years of other people talking crap about it.

Having said that I found myself being irritated by a few things. The panel structure was mostly intrusive without adding anything and the sound track was a bit grating. I liked how they portrayed Banner's emotional self but felt it could've been better. Eric Bana was ok. Sam Elliot turned in a great performance. Nick Nolte was ok despite playing a weak villain.

Total Recall (2012) 3/10
    Len Wiseman did pretty much what I expected him too. Loud noises and explosions make a pretty "excellent" substitution for dramatic tension. The action was decent but the story was half-assed and lacking in humour.

I also found the gravity elevator in the movie to be pretty baffling. More baffling than terra-forming Mars with ancient alien technology. Somehow I think if you're capable of drilling a whole straight through the Earth you'd have the technological know how to fix the Earth, make off-shore habitats or go to Mars or the Moon. Commuting 13000 km to get to work just seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Hulk 4/10
    I think I might be under-rating this movie because of many years of other people talking crap about it.

Having said that I found myself being irritated by a few things. The panel structure was mostly intrusive without adding anything and the sound track was a bit grating. I liked how they portrayed Banner's emotional self but felt it could've been better. Eric Bana was ok. Sam Elliot turned in a great performance. Nick Nolte was ok despite playing a weak villain.
    I remember sitting in the theater and mentally checking out at hulk dogs.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Watched a film on sky called Time Trap not bad for a lower budget film with no big name actors. Kept me interested to the end.
    The story is about a teacher that goes missing in some caves, a few students go looking and also end up in these caves only the caves have a kind of time dilation effect.

Well worth a watch

[ TV Show ] Caprica 6.5/10

I hate mob / mafia / gang type shows because usually the plot winds up in a situation where I'm supposed to root for a thug and I can't, so the story immediately becomes dull boring and tedious and I want to see everyone just go to jail or die. This has got a mafia subplot which immediately ruins about half the cast. The redeeming quality for me is Eric Stoltz who does excellent work portraying a mega rich scientist on a downward spiral into desperation (and doesn't fall into the mafia or gang warfare so its actually good). The Cylon plot is OK as well.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-04-20 at 01:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I was bored with the Horde civil war plot in BfA the moment it started. Its a rehash. I'm expecting them it to be like 99% similar to the Garrosh story & then they do Shyamalan swerve at the end & then we'll see a bunch of comments & videos from people telling me "see its not 100% the same!" when that wasn't the complaint -- its TOO similar to the Garrosh plot.

Shazam!

8.5/10

A very solid superhero movie, the best of the DCEU by a good margin. It's quite cliche but has a lot of fun with it, and is overall a very funny film with a couple standout scenes that had me and most of the theater rioting. Zachary Levi did a great job and so did the rest of the cast frankly. It also goes for the feels fairly well when it wants. The villain was the weakest part, not because Mark Strong is bad but more because his character is slightly lacking in motivation (or overreacting really) and he's yet another villain with powers too similar to the hero's if you ask me.

But I actually think I'll put it at 9 because I'm not going through the easiest time in my life and a string of hearty laughs did me a lot of good. But that's purely my own experience of course.

James Bond - The Living Daylights (1987) 6.5/10

Great movie. Kept me very interested and it took me a while to figure out who the true bad guy is. Necros is probably the most clever henchman out of all the Bond movies.

-1.5 points for the movie kinda falling apart in the last act with the whole Afghanistan / drugs for diamonds shenanigans.
    Last edited by Alkhan; 2019-04-20 at 09:52 PM.

Somewhere that is probably not inside a tank
    Bahubali- The Beginning (In Tamil with English subtitles)

11/10.

One of the most hilarious and awesome movies I have ever seen. It basically skirts the line between "So bad it's good" and "good dumb awesome stuff". Absolutely nobody is a believable character, and the bad guy KOs an Elephant in one hit. In a live action movie.

Oh, and the movie is stupidly long only because everything is in slow motion, and so the hero can walk around flexing in waterfalls while offscreen female choruses sing poetry about how awesome he is. I highly recommend it, it is on Netflix.

Captain Marvel

6/10

Give me WC3:R, Blizz! The Stormbringer's Avatar
    The Gamers

It was pretty entertaining, though nothing amazing. 7/10.

Avengers Endgame. Still in the cinemas with credits rolling but simply put.

11/10

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Avengers Endgame. Still in the cinemas with credits rolling but simply put.

11/10
    oh please, it wasnt that great. It has massive pacing issues.

Its a great send off for a 10 year arc though and has bucket loads of fan service that is hard not to enjoy. Id give it an 7.5 or 8/10
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Aquaman: Very good, I'd give it 10/10 for a comic book movie, it had everything. Coherent story, good acting, great fan service, and heroes and villains I care about. Props to Oceanmaster and Black Manta. Sweet special effects and action scenes.

The Founder: Also recently saw this movie on Netflix. If you want to know the origin of McDonalds, then see this drama. It's very good.