Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Terminator: Dark Fate

Was surprised by how much I didn't hate this movie especially when compared to Genisys. Mackenzie Davis turned my opinion around as to whether or not she was the right fit and would even say she stood out the most especially when compared to Arnold and Linda Hamilton. The Rev 9 was an interesting advancement too but I just hate the name. Sounds like he was made off a Mattel assembly line.

What's interesting and infuriating about the Terminator franchise is that it's designed to be ambiguous and open. As Reese said to Sarah in The Terminator "one possible future from your point of view" so every action performed in the present day has a reaction in the future so it makes sense that Skynet no longer exists, judgment day as we knew it didn't happen and life went on. It's a little flaky that Skynet just kept sending T-800s back in time and one eventually killed John even though Skynet of the future no longer existed. Terminator time travel is mired in weird paradoxes at the best of times.

It's also not a stretch to assume the T-800 would be capable of learning from his past either. In Terminator 2, John asks him if he can learn stuff that he hasn't been programmed with to be more human to which the T-800 replied that he has a learning computer and the more contact he has with humans the more he learns so with his goal achieved with no way back it's entirely possible that, over the years, he developed his own interpretation of a conscience for what had happened. There's something there to explore but the delivery of it was more comical than philosophical which is why it's easily the more laughable plot of the movie.

My biggest problem is that they didn't use this opportunity to explore and advance the Terminator franchise. They gave themselves an opening by sneaking it in right after T2 and all they did was put The Termintor and parts of Judgment Day in to a cinematic blender and cranked out something we've already seen in the past. It's really, really strange how in both universes the exact same thing happens! Legion and Skynet, judgment day, cybernetic organisms with human chassis, teleportation and messiah stories.

How this movie needed five story writers and three screen writers is really beyond me although I think I know the answer.

In the end, I think this is it. If they were hoping to spawn a new series of Terminator movies then they have a huge uphill battle when talking budget and whatever the advertising costs are to cover. I can at least give points to Salvation for trying something new in the series whereas this just feels "okay" as its own movie but very weak when compared to the material it's clearly being inspired by which makes it all the worse knowing James Cameron was on board. Again.

As a sci-fi action movie - 5/10
    As a Terminator movie - We just cry. You know, when it hurts.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-11-08 at 12:44 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burnt: 6/10 An OK movie with some decent performances and gorgeous food.

Mr. Go: 6/10 It... it's a movie about a gorilla playing baseball.

Mutafukaz: 8/10 I liked the animation style, the weird story, and solid voice acting.

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes: 7/10 Not bad! Hmm, but maybe I should watch the anime or read the manga now, because... what?!

Terminator: Dark Fate: 7/10 There was some bullshit here and there, but it was marginally better than Rise of the Machines and Salvation, while managing not to be as aggressively stupid as Genisys. Bonus point for ignoring those three movies.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Glengarry Glenross - 8/10: I've seen this movie countless times, but watched it again yesterday. Some awkward dialogue at times, but knowing it's based on a play helps matters. Lemmon was absolutely fantastic.

El Camino 3/10. I love Breaking Bad,best show ever made,rewatched it many times,but that movie...it just felt like an episode somewhere in middle of breaking bad season or something and not like a movie

Hobbs & Shaw - 1/10 - I managed to sit through exactly up until that point where Dwayne throws the chair. I've seen enough movies where 2 stronk bois bluster back and forth by now. I was told "It's nothing like The Fast and The Furious, it's FUNNY!", but this just solidifies my boycott of the franchise. Minus 1 point for featuring Ryan Reynolds playing the role he always plays these days for easy pull.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alladin - 3/10. remake with Will Smith. Was horrible compared to the Disney animated version.

Terminator; Dark Fate 9/10
    This movie worked too damn well for me. The movie hit the ground running. Slowed up enough in places for characterization that was interesting, and deadpan funny. There were even a few lines that seemed almost poignant.
    From the trailer I wasn't sure about Grace. But the script, and her flashbacks...and her acting made it work.

15+ Year Old Account
    It chapters 1 & 2: 3/10

Not even the excellent cast or King's own cameo could save this train wreck of a movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Joker ​5/10

Very slow and bleak without the intellectual or artistic punch to hold it up. I didn't find the backstory itself convincing. So he ran after some kids who stole his sign into an alley where they kicked him until he was on the ground crying. Not a drop of blood or actual violence, just the concept of bullying I guess. A concept that then was repeated in case you missed the whole idea.

Just too dumb and shallow for being so slow and pretentious. There were some good things about it, but I couldn't get past this.

The Joker 7/10

I thought joker was a good movie but I didn't really want the character to be the joker though. It would have been a good story about what turned a man into a criminal. The problem was that circumstances turned him into the joker. In batman stories the joker is insane but he is also clever with schemes. In this movie, everything happens to the Joker by accident. This version of the joker is too mentally ill to be clever.

Joker - 0/10

the title is a blatant lie. its falling down with a clown face. what a waste of an otherwise excellent actor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Midway- 6/10

It's was a decent WW2 romp, the CGI was a bit weak here and there and acting was not the best even tho it had some big actors but I had fun watching it and eating popcorn. I liked that it was from both US and JAP perspective and part from the ending it wasn't overly patriotic nonsense like some other movies.

gemini man, 6-7/10

5+ Year Old Account
    Blade Runner 1000/10

Movie takes place November 2019 which is now

Spider-Man : Far From Home - 8/10

While I've grown pretty tired of them rebooting this series, I will say this was a really good film on its own. I wasn't sure Jake Gyllenhaal could pull off a convincing villain but I think he did a good job. Mysterio was a refreshing change of pace from the typical MCU bad guy. Tom Holland is probably also my favorite iteration of Spider-Man. And the final credit scene was a great surprise and I'm interested to see where they go with it

Joker - B

Pros:
    - Well acted
    - Fits together well
    - Mostly believable backstory
    - Clever

Cons:
    - Takes itself too seriously
    - Contrived plot
    - Have zero desire to see again

The Farewell (2019) - 8/10 (B+)

A pretty unique movie, being both low-key funny and low-key sad. Seeing parts of Chinese culture, and having western vs eastern beliefs compared was neat too. Not a movie everyone would enjoy I imagine, but I also think it might speak very much to certain people.

Doctor Sleep (2019) - 8/10 (B+)

I quite enjoyed this movie, felt very Stephen King-y, and was made and acted well. The movie is quite long, and it feels like the first act of the movie lasts a very long time compared to almost every other movie. I'm not 100% sure that's a terrible thing, but I did feel like I was waiting for the inciting incident. Thought the themes it touched on were kind of neat too. While it is technically a sequel to the much acclaimed The Shining, I mostly thought of it as a Stephen King adaptation first and foremost.

Ford v Ferrari (2019) - 8/10 (A-)

Ooo. Now this is probably my favorite movie of the year so far, The Lighthouse is the only one that could contest it. A bit like Doctor Sleep, I feel like the first part of the movie is sometimes a bit too long before we get to the meat of it, but again I did not mind too much. Christian Bale is predictably great, and so is the rest of the cast really. The movie is funny, sometimes touching, and oh boy the racing scenes are absolutely exhilarating.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    The Joker ​5/10

Very slow and bleak without the intellectual or artistic punch to hold it up. I didn't find the backstory itself convincing. So he ran after some kids who stole his sign into an alley where they kicked him until he was on the ground crying. Not a drop of blood or actual violence, just the concept of bullying I guess. A concept that then was repeated in case you missed the whole idea.

Just too dumb and shallow for being so slow and pretentious. There were some good things about it, but I couldn't get past this.
    If you think this was just a bullying movie in terms of what happened to him, you weren't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    If you think this was just a bullying movie in terms of what happened to him, you weren't paying attention.
    Oh I was.