Ready or Not: 7/10
    Watched the movie after seeing it in Jeremy Jahns' top 10 of 2019. I don't think I would have rated it that highly. It was fine for what it was but I'll probably have forgotten about it in a week.

P.s. Your Name: 9/10
    Nearly forgot I finally got around to watching this gem on TV yesterday. It probably would have been better if I didn't spoil the story for myself before but nevertheless it's a beautiful movie.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2019-12-28 at 09:27 AM.

Uncut Gems: 8/10

You’re either going to love it or hate it. There doesn’t seem to be a ton of in between. It’s a stressful, frenetic movie. Sandler is fantastic as a degenerate whose only answer to the walls closing in is to dig a little deeper and hope he can finally score big enough to stop the madness.

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker ??/10

I think I can only rate this movie from 3 distinct points of views to explain it and then give the median of these 3 points of view:

1st) 7/10 as a mindless action movie with pretty pictures. If someone happens to be part of the drooling masses that can turn their brains completely off and just stare in awe at pretty pictures then this movie is probably entertaining enough. But even as a mindless spectacle I think the movie did overuse some of the effects especially in last part to the point of being obnoxious while also beeing a bit too dark in some shots, both of which accumulating to being detramental to the overall viewing experience. Even the mindless masses get the point that the robed guy is evil, no need to hammer it home with the seizure inducing light show..

2nd) 4/10 as an isolated movie for people without prior knowledge or interest who are purely interested in experiencing a good story. The movie fails utterly as far as structure is concerned. The incredibly poor pacing in the first act, the discarding of established characters that were unlikeable, while simultaneously shoe-horning in new ones for toys or doing favors to some friends with no payoff what so ever; it's just shamefull as far as telling a story goes. The pathetically weak fetch-quest plot, the constant plot contrivances to keep the story going somehow. The ludicrous disregard for any sense of scale or reason. The only thing that saves the movie in this regard is that the actors were doing good work with the insubstantial material that they were given as well as boom mics not hanging into the shots and the CGI being at least done (unlike cats) to completion.

3rd) 2/10 as a franchise movie. It's actually astonishing to see the complete and utter disregard for anything that came before and what will come afterwards as part of a 40+ year spanning franchise with a singular canon. Everything is sacrificed in a the desperate struggle of 2 authors trying to validate their own visions while the story comes apart even at the seams of the very narrative they are currently crafting; let alone the ones that came before. It isn't helped that both authors waste time taking pot shots at one another every chance they get as well. It is so blatantly obvious that no one planned this trilogy out for even a second. There was no direction, no vision, nothing at all. The only saving grace is that the author of this mess didn't go out of his way to shit over previously established characters - even through it still happens due to deep rooted inepitute.

(7+4+2)/3 ~= 4/10
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    The Irishman: 8/10

Great film with excellent use of age-changing effects to cover a broad timeline of events.

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker 4/10

A huge misfire IMO, and a desperate attempt to cater to everyone that was mad about The Last Jedi as RoS walked back just about every single interesting thing about that movie.

- - - Updated - - -

The same could be said of the prequel trilogy, as well.
    i would say it was the most terrible done de aging i've ever seen.

That scene when deniro is beating up the shop owner....Old man can barely balance himself has like a senior citizen weak fist the whole time. Had to start gauging the age he was supposed to be by his shoulder size...

I have other problems with teh movie. But by far my biggest one is the terrible de aging. Odd i figured mine would be the universal opinion, they have pictures of deniro that is not what he looked like as a young man lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    i would say it was the most terrible done de aging i've ever seen.

That scene when deniro is beating up the shop owner....Old man can barely balance himself has like a senior citizen weak fist the whole time. Had to start gauging the age he was supposed to be by his shoulder size...

I have other problems with teh movie. But by far my biggest one is the terrible de aging. Odd i figured mine would be the universal opinion, they have pictures of deniro that is not what he looked like as a young man lol.
    Congrats on having an opinion I guess?

I thought the effects were done well, if you didn't that's your right but there is no 'universal' opinion on anything.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2019-12-29 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    Ready or Not: 7/10
    Watched the movie after seeing it in Jeremy Jahns' top 10 of 2019. I don't think I would have rated it that highly. It was fine for what it was but I'll probably have forgotten about it in a week.

P.s. Your Name: 9/10
    Nearly forgot I finally got around to watching this gem on TV yesterday. It probably would have been better if I didn't spoil the story for myself before but nevertheless it's a beautiful movie.
    A bit off-topic, but where is your avatar image from?

On topic: Crawl, 5.5/10 - It is exactly what it sets out to be. A popcorn movie with some violence and some "scares" although I wasn't scared at all, not of realistic creatures behaving unrealistically...
    ¨
    And as usual, the hatred it receives simply due to the fact that the lead isn't played by a muscular, slightly balding/entirely bald man is pathetic. The lead ain't surviving anything that animals and even humans didn't survive before her in gator encounters. Just sayin'.

Jumanji: The Next Level

8.5/10

It does exactly what you want from a movie like this and a little extra. First time a sequel felt like it was just as good as the first in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Congrats on having an opinion I guess?

I thought the effects were done well, if you didn't that's your right but there is no 'universal' opinion on anything.
    Because stills mean anything at all in this context? lol

Show his movement

It's terrible you're crazy and lying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOisMk2oTvk

terrrrible

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-12-29 at 03:28 AM.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 7/10

It's cheesy, there is no choreography to speak of, it's dated, but damn it's entertaining and charming. It's also a musical and despite its clear 2-dimensional story-telling, it keeps you hooked on what's going to happen next, and none of it is predictable. We never get much character development from the 7 brothers or their brides, aside from the main two of course, but it's a good oldie musical comedy with heart and some depth reflective of its time and culture. It's not very long either and the pacing is great, never a dull moment. Recommend.

- - - Updated - - -

I Spit On Your Grave 5/10

I haven't been sick to my stomach since watching Hostel. This is not for the faint of heart at all, especially women. It's essentially a movie about a woman who gets raped by a sheriff and three other backwoods accomplices. It's a straight up tale of revenge, as she survives (despite them trying to kill her after doing the deed), and comes back for them one by one in the most gruesome way you can imagine, but there are no surprises, no character development, so her revenge isn't as satisfying as it could have been if we find out more about the lead character. Apparently there's a sequel but I'm not watching. The movie isn't terribly shot, acted, or choreographed, on the contrary, it's executed well on all those fronts. The production values are great. The story is just very bare bones which makes the violent content just cringe-worthy with little payoff. It just paints the worst picture of human nature from both a victim and assailants' perspectives.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Knives Out - 9 / 10 - A great deal of fun with fun characters and plenty of twists. Been a long time since I enjoyed myself so much at a movie. Highly recommend to everyone.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 3/10 - I was actually face palming several times during this film. Seriously, if it didn't have the name and budget, it would be a forgettable B schlock movie. If you should decide to watch it, turn off your brain completely, because once you start thinking about *anything* in this film, it only gets worse. I would have to agree with Mike Stoklasa, "I don't want to say if you legitimately like this film, you have a low IQ; but if you legitimately like this film, you have a low IQ."

Jumanji: The Next Level - 7/10 - While very similar to the previous film, the switch in key characters makes it more refreshing than I expected. A very welcome reprieve from having watched SW a few days before. Not quite as enjoyable as Knives Out, but still pretty fun overall.

Maleficent 2 7/10

I watched this with very low expectations considering how shallow, dumb and disappointing the first one was, but it was actually much better. They had the audacity to repeat the same story of Maleficent being the misunderstood martyr and hero who gets deceived and betrayed by human royalty, but this time they made it very campy, fast moving and fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always Be My Maybe: 8/10 The dad from FOTB and one of its writers star in a better Asian rom-com than the mom.

Burning: 8/10 I appreciate the deliberate pacing and subtle performances, but when something finally happened, I almost wasn't sure that anything actually did. Still, the movie was satisfying in a way I can't properly articulate.

Jo Pil-ho: The Dawning Rage: 6.5/10 A few decent turns and bits of action, but I'm supposed to think this cop's corrupt? Dude washes down vitamins with energy drinks and has a monogamous relationship. Ooh, he steals a little money on the side? Danger! *thpbbt*
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

7+ Year Old Account
    Iceman (2017) - 7/10

Well done movie about a common story. Good stuff imo. I'd like to see more like this.

The Rise of Skywalker

Solid 2/10
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Kinda cheating since I'm still watching it right now and it isn't exactly new but:

Independence Day (the good one): 8/10
    I just gotta give a shoutout for how amazingly well the effects still hold up today due to the clever and extensive use of practical effects instead of CGI.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    I just gotta give a shoutout for how amazingly well the effects still hold up today due to the clever and extensive use of practical effects instead of CGI.
    90's movies <3
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Zombieland 2. id say a 7/10

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Rise of Skywalker...

I kind of felt like someone threw me and a bunch of Star Wars toys and planets in a washing machine and set it to high speed.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is they can’t act like young men. The scene with De Niro balancing on the rocks made me nervous for him lol.
    Yeah, they didnt do anything to make their bodies or facial structure look younger. deniro was still hunched over and old, and his face was flabby in the way old mens faces get. he didnt look anything liek deniro actually looked in his 30s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Split (2017) M. Night Shyamalan

Great movie, would give it at least a 7 if not 8 out of 10. Yet to see the continuation of that movie believe its called Glass, Went to watch Unbreakable years ago in the theater and this popped up on television tonight and i remember the trailer having an interesting premise, like most of Shyamalan's movies it either drags you in or it doesn't and this one did. The acting was great McAvoy displaying that many personalities, if you like the whole supernatural, superhero or villain origin story.

Bit of a social message in there with the way social illness is portrayed, what i though added to the whole identity of the character rather than just being slapped on there.

But M. Night Shyamalan again is someone that has a bad rep among several people, don't fully understand why however creativity like this should be encouraged even if the execution can at times be lacking.

Yes Mr President (on Netflix, Italian with subtitles) 8/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Enter The Warriors Gate: 6.5/10 Mostly inoffensive isekai bullshit with some passable action and humor that reminded me of a generic The Forbidden Kingdom. I might've really liked it if I was 6 and hopped up on sugary cereal. Bonus point for Ni Ni being super cute with cinnamon bu -- holy shit... is that Bautista?!

Furie: 8.5/10 Woman with a past kicks half of Vietnam in the face to save her daughter. Doesn't really add anything new to the beat 'em up genre, but goddamn that was a fun ride. Veronica Ngo really sells it.

Iron Sky: The Coming Race: 5/10 I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie, but kept forgetting to catch the sequel. It's, uh... twice the stupid and half the fun.

Man of Tai Chi: 7.5/10 Not too bad if you're in the mood for a stripped down action flick with Keanu in a rare villain role.

Misumiso (Liverleaf): 5.5/10 I'll give the movie a bonus point for trying to be as fucked up as the manga and almost succeeding, but also deduct a point for a major deviation that didn't really sit well with me, because it was stupid. Don't be bully! Be best!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi