Murder Mystery 7/10

Netflix comedy with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, that is amusing enough and got some chuckles.

Ford vs. Ferrari 9/10.

Really enjoyed it. Felt like a proper, old-skool movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hostiles, its one of those movies where you think you know the ending, but you're not so far off... Christian Bale does what you expect of him, a very good job, all the actors does, i'll say its a solid 8/10
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5478478/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Smokey and the Bandit, my old co workers has talked a lot about this movie, was kinda meh tbh its old and ye old humor, overall an old movie 6/10, it works but dont expect oscar material. watch it with a good pizza and whatever makes you comfortable
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076729/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I was reading through the Rise of Skywalker thread and people talk about the original trilogy so often that I wanted to watch them since I saw them a long time ago as bits and pieces, not really focusing and watching it as a set.

So I saw Star Wars: A New Hope on desktop.

Without a doubt, this movie is the most straightforward, clean plot I've ever seen.

When I talk about plot I mean how a movie is planned out to be shown for the audience. For example, start 5 minutes showing Tony Stark is rich and bangs a lot of chicks -> then spend 1 minute showing his company makes weapons -> then setup Pepper as being the girl with good advice -> then foreshadow the bald guy is probably evil -> etc.

Star Wars just straight up shows you the story basically 1 to 1 with the plot. There's no drawn out "stare at this person's face to see their emotions", and there isn't a lot of "checkout the plot at place A, now let's cut to place B, wait let's go back to A, oh shit but the bad guy is at place C, etc." It's just fucking simple. Why can't today's movies be like this?! No wonder you boomers love it so much.

I'll rate it Legend/10. Idk how to put a fair number behind it (it'd probably be like ~8.5 because it's hard to follow the space shooting and the light saber fight is kinda lame). I would guess that it was top-tier of the medium (movies) at the time. Respect.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 6/10

Most of the movie was okay but wtf was that ending? The humans were massacring the fairies and Dark Fey literally minutes before the wedding (and it is that short because you can see the passage of time between the king waking up with Maleficent's plants still growing and the prince being surprised seeing his father awake) and suddenly everyone is happy, best buds and humans and Dark Fey openly flirt with each other.

I said so before but wtf, even for Disney that's a bit much?

And the villains' treatment was disappointing with the main antagonist who, I remind you, was planning a genocide out of sheer greed (she said the kingdom desperately needed the resources, but we never saw any poverty or hunger) being turned into a goat (which was doubly weird because you could totally see that goat was male) and the redhead who happily committed all the heinous acts she was tasked with almost got offscreened. Yeah, you could see her fall from that platform but that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    Ford vs. Ferrari 9/10.

Really enjoyed it. Felt like a proper, old-skool movie.
    They really did a good job with what they had to work with from a story perspective.

8.5/10

Finally got to view Knives Out today (after cancelling plans last week due to being sick) and I love this movie, 9/10!

I knew this was the perfect film for Rian Johnson and I adore oldschool whodunit mysteries (which is the reason for my 1 point deduction: the movie revealed what really happened to Harlan too early for me, although it had to due to its shift in course). It is so, so sad that this genre is dying in TV and cinema nowadays.

I love how the movie rewards attentive viewers by spoiling first the culprit and then the ending in its first third. Be observant during the flashbacks!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'll rate it Legend/10. Idk how to put a fair number behind it (it'd probably be like ~8.5 because it's hard to follow the space shooting and the light saber fight is kinda lame). I would guess that it was top-tier of the medium (movies) at the time. Respect.
    If you get a chance - watch some of the "making of/behind the scenes" on the tech they created and utilized in order to shoot this movie in 1977. Top-tier of the time - more like "blows everything else scifi from the 70s" out of the water. Camera and film techniques that probably most creators today wouldn't have any idea how to pull off (because they don't work in film anymore...LOL).

Heck, just catching the 10 minute "Corridor Crew" youtube video about the original trilogy is enough to make you go "holy hells..." at the work they did to make these spaceship and laser fights so great looking.

As someone who watched the ORIGINAL originals growing up on tv (taped off of TV broadcasts) for a couple decades before Lucas Re-Mastered the effects - its always eye-opening to see how much work went into doing what they did. And as much as I enjoy the re-mastered ones for the extra background/world building Lucas was able to add to the scenes, the extra shiny CGI also takes something away from it as well.

Then thinking about film history - it was Star Wars, First Alien, and The Exorcist all coming out within the same couple of years. What a genre-changing few years! Even if you hate those movies, you can't deny their influence on the tech and movies that came after.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    If you get a chance - watch some of the "making of/behind the scenes" on the tech they created and utilized in order to shoot this movie in 1977. Top-tier of the time - more like "blows everything else scifi from the 70s" out of the water. Camera and film techniques that probably most creators today wouldn't have any idea how to pull off (because they don't work in film anymore...LOL).

Heck, just catching the 10 minute "Corridor Crew" youtube video about the original trilogy is enough to make you go "holy hells..." at the work they did to make these spaceship and laser fights so great looking.

As someone who watched the ORIGINAL originals growing up on tv (taped off of TV broadcasts) for a couple decades before Lucas Re-Mastered the effects - its always eye-opening to see how much work went into doing what they did. And as much as I enjoy the re-mastered ones for the extra background/world building Lucas was able to add to the scenes, the extra shiny CGI also takes something away from it as well.

Then thinking about film history - it was Star Wars, First Alien, and The Exorcist all coming out within the same couple of years. What a genre-changing few years! Even if you hate those movies, you can't deny their influence on the tech and movies that came after.
    A lot of the special effects explosion during the 80’s and 90’s was driven by the failed Dune project.

I just watched Solo, the movie was fairly forgettable. For whatever reason, the creator of this movie was convinced we needed to see how everything associated with Han Solo came to be. Why is Han's last name Solo? Because some Imperial recruitment officer gave him the name because Han had no family, despite later in the film him reminiscing about his father. The movie is chalk full of stupid garbage like that. I’m not sure how much this film adds to the mystique of Han Solo, considering he is portrayed as a bumbling, love-struck, ignoramus through almost the entirety of it.

Daenerys Targaryen was just awful in her role, and the role did her no favors. How exactly are we supposed to care about this character when we ultimately want and get Han and Leia? Her character is always insinuating that she knows more than she will say, which turns out to be that she is working for Darth Maul, who her boss also worked for but she worked more for Darth Maul than him (it’s just confusing nonsense). I also really disliked that 4 armed monkey guy, his quips weren’t funny and having four arms isn’t a character trait. It was obvious they were going for a Rocket Raccoon vibe with him, but it was just terrible.

The guy who played Han Solo wasn’t terrible, but he didn’t remind me of Han or Harrison Ford, he made me think of Denis Quade more than anything, and if they remake Enemy Mine he would be perfect for that part. Donald Glover was ok as Lando, but the movie acts as if we should like him despite him having no redeeming qualities, he’s a criminal, he cheats, he is braggadocious, he just leaves his associates for no apparent reason, and he fornicates with droids. But as a Troy and Abbed in the morning fan, I still enjoy watching him work.

I did like Woody Harrelson in this role, although the twist that he betrays Han in the end is poorly done. At no point is it demonstrated that he actually believes that you can trust no one, I mean he says it once, but his character is played mire like a down on his luck guy who believes firmly in honor among thieves. Which brings me to the ending, which can best be described as poor. The fact that Han shot first was impactful, but it kind of came out of no where, up until that point Han had displayed zero ruthlessness and had been shown to be naive about the world around him, so his shooting first just felt more like fan service than what the character would actually do. A better ending would have been if Woody were betrayed by his lover and he had an opportunity to shoot first but didn’t, ultimately leading to him dying in front of Han.

I think Solo is a film that suffers from the same issues as all the Disney Star Wars do, it is a mess of nostalgia and just plane weird moments that doesn’t serve to tell a compelling story because it was created not because they had something to say, but because they owned an IP. If they had made this story about some random bloke and not about characters we already know it would have been a better movie. As it is, it is watchable.

6/10

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    It was also the golden age of Italian cinema; lots of cult classics were made during those years - Cannibal Holocaust, Caligula, Saló.....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Uncut Gems - 9.8/10

Safdie brothers are quickly becoming my new favourite directors along with denis villeneuve, Quentin, Nolan, bong joon-ho etc.

This movie is even better than good time their break out movie. Its an adrenaline/anxiety inducing movie that follows someone on the worst day of their lives. But damn is it entertaining. Its so tightly put together that every second counts, they can tell you loads about a character/story plot point incredibly efficiently. These are incredibly smart film directors that not only know the tropes of film inside and out but play with them in exciting and unpredictable ways.

I cannot rate this movie enough to movie lovers.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Movie Title: Game Night
    Rating: 5.6
    Review: The story itself is a bit silly

Just saw 1917. Found it be a very good solid movie. So 9.5

10+ Year Old Account
    1917: 9/10

Exceptionally made, Mendes transformed the worst war in the history of humanity into a thrilling experience. The long tracking shots with the sound and the excellent Deakins cinematography are all Oscar worthy. It's a real shame they didn't use the real WW1 artillery "drumfire" barrage sounds, that would have caused PTSD on most cinema-goers, so that decision is understandable. This is how it actually sounds:

Hateful 8: 9/10 - I watched the extended edition so I saw it as 4, 1 hour vignettes. I thought it was amazing. Full on Tarantino doing campy characters and interesting dialog.
    situations such as Mexican Bob doing a horse shit Mexican accent only for it to be revealed the character was actually Mexican

Joker revisited after my Cats debacle. 6/10 - Movie is still a solid 6. Phoenix is amazing, everything else is "adequate". I don't say that negatively. It's just very... by the numbers, there aren't any real issues though. I think the movies biggest issue is it had no protagonist or antagonists. The only people I feel any sympathy for are the hapless people who encounter any of the main characters. Because frankly they are all assholes.
    The Children's Hospital scene was great, I like to imagine it as a cut scene from Patch Adam's. And it's nice to get confirmation that Bruce Wayne was a humorless little shit before his parents died.

Finally saw Ford vs. Ferrari. Great movie. Christian Bale is amazing. You don't need to know anything about cars, the industry, or racing to enjoy the film, but you can appreciate the nuances more if you are. 9/10 for me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rise of Skywalker. Ugh. 3/10, and I'm being generous due to being a (moderate level) Star Wars fan. I've read a large portion of the novels (before Disney came around), watched all the movies and the animated series, etc. I'm someone who really wanted to like it, really wanted it to be good.

I had no problem seeing why any non-fan would call it a disjointed mess of a movie, and even as a fan there were so many disappointing moments. What is worse is that it could've been so much more.

Examples:
    - The relationship between Finn, Rey and Poe. Obviously in the years since TLJ, they have developed some camaraderie and built up some tension. That's cool and all, but it's never explained or developed in ANY way, so Finn's angst at Rey at the beginning seemed super childish. Her storming off here and there seemed super childish. Finn was like the last child caught in between and just wanted to stay out of everyone's way.

- Lando's intro. Way to drop the ball on that one. He just comes into the scene, doesn't really do much, seems superrrrr unlikely...just...wtf.

- Palpatine's powers going super saiyan. Fuck right off with that shit. And then Rey somehow being able to deflect that level of power (he temporarily disabled an entire fucking starship FLEET) with...2 lightsabers... sigh.

Quite a few more examples (I think of new ones everytime I think about it, which hurts), but Im sure this has been discussed to death by now so I'll just stop here and say I'm pretty disappointed. I haven't been this disappointed with a movie in years, I actually liked the first 2 of the new trilogy despite their flaws.

Can't believe I never got around to watching it until now, but last night I watched A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Jesus, it was better than I thought it would be, which is sort of saying something considering it was Stanley Kubrick's brain child directed by Steven Speilberg, starring Jude Law and Haley Joel Osment, with an original score by John Williams.

Wow.

9/10, probably just based on pacing as a minor complaint. Idk, I really don't like giving out 10/10 for anything.

1917 - 9.25/10
    Really enjoyable movie. Excellent cinematography and pacing.

Little Women ?/10

Genuinely couldn't make it past 30 minutes or so lol. Usually I power through movies I've started even if I don't like them, but I went into this blind and didn't realize what I was in for. But hey it should get a lot of awards, Meryl Streep has a scene in it!