Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    12 Monkeys - 10/10

Great plot, brilliant actors, excellent use of music at the right moments, non-botched ending which is rather rare. Also, now is a good time to re-watch it
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - 10/10

Great emotions, great topic, great acting, great cinematography, music only from natural sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Agreed with The Platform review. What drew me into watching it was that it felt a lot like "The Cube" in premise and style. Unfortunately they had a good premise but fumbled the ball on the ten yard line.

And if you haven't watched The Cube, I highly recommend.
    I have seen the cube, although wasnt a huge fan, I know its become a cult classic these days, but I will note I haven't seen it in a very long time so maybe it's worth revisiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Conan the Barbarian (2011)- 7/10

It isn't a "good" movie per se, but it is a fun movie, and it understands what it is. I feel like it has a bad rap because it doesn't really attempt to be the either Arnold's version or the book version. It is actually probably a better movie then the 1982 film, which it suffers from, because the original was so much fun because it was bad.

Still, young Jason Momoa isn't the worst casting for Conan, and it is worth a watch if you want to turn your brain off for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Looking forward to see it soon. Yeah....to me Rian Johnson was hit and miss for me. I liked Looper (as stupid it is if you think about it) and avoided TLJ. But he also directed two Breaking bad episodes -of which one also splits the community into "best ever" and "worst ever" (Fly) and one that is considered by pretty much everyone as great (Ozimandis)
    TLJ isn't nearly as bad as die hard Star Wars fans on the internet will make you believe.

1998 Phantoms

I hadn't seen this since I saw it in the theater, and I didn't care for it much.

After watching it last night I would actually give it a solid 6.5. It had great pacing, the acting was fine, and the effects for the day were actually pretty good.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Just Watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I loved the book, and the film does a pretty decent job at depicting it for the most part even if it is a bit fast paced. There is a good depiction of what it felt like for Harry to be called a liar and a fake, and for him to feel as though he had no one he could turn to for help. I give it a solid 7/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Last film I watched for the first time - Knives out 8/10

Last film I watched again - Endgame 9.5/10

The Platform - 5/10. Strange film, but I guess we now know what Asmongold as been up to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Meh/10

8/10
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn: 4/10 Ewan McGregor, Chris Messina, and Bruce were fun, so a bonus point for them, but everything else about this movie annoyed me.

Superman: Red Sun: 7/10 I don't remember much from the mini-series, but I guess the movie was mostly faithful? Story elements felt a bit rushed, but it's decent if you can tune out the horrible Russian accents.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Onward : 10/10

Really loved this movie. I am a sucker for anything that carries a D&D theme. Plus the message was beautiful.

I was watching some youtube video criticizing BirdBox and they mentioned The Happening (2008) so I queued it on my task list to watch, and I just got around to watching it.

It's kinda bad. I have no idea how they spread such little plot out into 1.5 hours. The romance was cliche and dumb. The ending was fucking stupid. I can't even count the number of times I couldn't suspend my disbelief because the characters got incredibly lucky or humans acted not like humans. An full train got stopped at some random spot and made people exit, and the ONLY one who walked up to the group of conductors to ask why was the main character. Everyone else just dicked around in groups calling people or chatting worriedly. The movie is full of nonsense like that.

Regardless, it passed the time well and wasn't slow or too boring.

I'll give it a 1/10. It might even be a 2/10 right now given corona virus.

Contagion, 8.5/10 - I have seen it before. The first time I saw it, was when it had just come out on bluray. I didn't care for it then, I was like "What was the point of this movie?"... Then I saw it again just last year and loved it. I got the message, I could appreciate the acting and the themes.

Saw it again last night and yeah... It's just a well crafted, to the point movie about a pandemic. It's not out to use flashy effects or huge drama, it merely displays what is likely in the scenario. I'll watch it again when we're out of this crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I was watching some youtube video criticizing BirdBox and they mentioned The Happening (2008) so I queued it on my task list to watch, and I just got around to watching it.

It's kinda bad. I have no idea how they spread such little plot out into 1.5 hours. The romance was cliche and dumb. The ending was fucking stupid. I can't even count the number of times I couldn't suspend my disbelief because the characters got incredibly lucky or humans acted not like humans. An full train got stopped at some random spot and made people exit, and the ONLY one who walked up to the group of conductors to ask why was the main character. Everyone else just dicked around in groups calling people or chatting worriedly. The movie is full of nonsense like that.

Regardless, it passed the time well and wasn't slow or too boring.

I'll give it a 1/10. It might even be a 2/10 right now given corona virus.
    Yeaaah... I should've seen it coming when they cast Zooey Deschanel in what was fronted as a serious film, but alas... I did laugh like hell once it became clear what was causing "the happening" though, and laughter is good.

Watched The Martian on desktop today. (Obviously desktop. Movie theater industry is dead.)

It was kind of slow paced and a bit predictable. Honestly everything cool (growing food) was in the trailer and everything else was generic "out in space but something went wrong so survive" cliche.

I also watched it in pieces. I'd watch a bit of it, then pause at some boring part, then watch a bit more. If I had to sit through it continuously it'd suck. (And I was doing other things on my other monitor while watching.) Only like the beginning of the movie was captivating.

I'll say 0.5/10. Not gonna lie, the survivor aspect kinda hyped me up given corona virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Watched The Martian on desktop today. (Obviously desktop. Movie theater industry is dead.)

It was kind of slow paced and a bit predictable. Honestly everything cool (growing food) was in the trailer and everything else was generic "out in space but something went wrong so survive" cliche.

I also watched it in pieces. I'd watch a bit of it, then pause at some boring part, then watch a bit more. If I had to sit through it continuously it'd suck. (And I was doing other things on my other monitor while watching.) Only like the beginning of the movie was captivating.

I'll say 0.5/10. Not gonna lie, the survivor aspect kinda hyped me up given corona virus.
    I really have no idea why you review a film you half watch as you play video games.

Either give the film a real chance or keep it to yourself. Its pointless to come into a film for a scene or two because a well made film everything matters and everything is linked. A scene can make no sense if you didnt even watch the previous scene or earlier scenes.

A Quiet Place - 7.5/10

Fun little semi horror. Reminded me of those B grade movies budget wise that are actually really fun films.

Well acted, and held suspense through the film. Felt it could have expanded on the world or offered more though
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

A Quiet Place - 3/10, the idea behind it is pretty interesting but the whole movie has so many plot holes that it becomes hard to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    I really have no idea why you review a film you half watch as you play video games.

Either give the film a real chance or keep it to yourself. Its pointless to come into a film for a scene or two because a well made film everything matters and everything is linked. A scene can make no sense if you didnt even watch the previous scene or earlier scenes.
    I think there are slow paced films that you can watch casually and still pick up 95% of what it's offering. And I think a large amount of movies fall into that category, to be honest.

It's honestly not like Matt Damon even showed great acting skills by facing anguish in The Martian. Half the movie is losers on NASA talking politics or just making pure plot moves, and there's not a big reason to stare at Matt Damon's face with 100% of my attention while he acts smug for being a genius for the other half of the movie.

I would agree that you could criticize me for paying half attention for certain other movies, but not this one.

It's kind of interesting to break movies up into categories of "this is fine to passively watch" though.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually there is like one scene that kind of got to me. When he put the tarp up to cover the entrance to the shelter and it was kind of a windy night and he had to kind of keep his cool and try not to pay attention to it...that was fucking intense. I like, felt sympathetic and understood how terrifying that would be. That wasn't necessarily good acting but I was surprised at how much it made me feel. That was deep.

Watch 5 movies on the weekend
    Her - 8/10 interesting romance
    The invitation- 9/10 great thriller
    Coherence - 8/10 weird reality movie
    Mr.nobody- 7/10 odd time movie
    The Machinist - 9/10 trippy

Gretel & Hansel 3/10. Great visuals, zero substance.