They Live (1988) - 7/10

Watched last night, it was uniquely enjoyable for being kind of ridiculous movie. Alleyway fight scene and bubblegum comment were great.

Sputnik (2020) - 6/10 (C+)

It was okay, felt like a B-movie thriller/horror. It was sometimes intriguing, but at other times it felt a bit dull. The soviet setting at first seemed like it could be an interesting element, but ultimately I do not think it added very much outside a bit of novelty.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 7.5/10.

Great entertainment and now I just want to cherish the summer, getting this feelgood summer feeling :P

So right now I am of course listening to some good 60/70s music.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 7.5/10.

Great entertainment and now I just want to cherish the summer, getting this feelgood summer feeling :P

So right now I am of course listening to some good 60/70s music.
    Give Dazed and Confused a watch to keep the vibe going.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Knives Out. 8/10

silly and yet intelligent, it manages to parody, deconstruct and kind of play the whodunnit straight at the same time. the characters are well written and well acted. I found it a fun watch

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Give Dazed and Confused a watch to keep the vibe going.
    Thanks, looks fun! Never seen before. Nice cast as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    saw The Last witch hunter some time ago, definitely an enjoyable movie, good premise, a bit cheesy and some bad dialogues, but overall good and fun to me, 7/10

Fun to think it is from a Vin Diesel RpG character, i heard they were working on a sequel, and i would like that, if they have a better writer things will go all right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    They Live (1988) - 7/10

Watched last night, it was uniquely enjoyable for being kind of ridiculous movie. Alleyway fight scene and bubblegum comment were great.
    I saw this a week ago for the first time. A lot of pop culture has spawned from that movies scenes and cheesy lines. Would watch again.

She Dies Tomorrow: C-
    Horror-Thriller. While the movies starts off interesting and creepy it kinda just goes nowhere. Pacing is slow, plot lines are convoluting, and the ending is unsatisfying and unclear.

Sky Blue- Korean animated science fiction film. I've seen this when I was a child in 2003 and watched it again yesterday.
    Man it definitely 8\10
    The music in this film is just beyond imagination!
    And this is still one of the best lookin anime in history.

The Outpost - 7/10 - It tells a true story (how f-ing idiotic can the people in charge be??) and has solid acting, although the constant close-ups on Scott Eastwood began to feel almost comedic after a while. We get it, he's hecking hot and he's the son of an icon.

Overall I liked it. It's no Lone Survivor or 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, but it offered characters, fighting and a premise that really makes you realize just how void of logic the military chain of command can be.

Snowpiercer- 6/10

Kind of interesting, but I found the characters didn't really mesh well with one another and were kind of cheesy and over-acted (not in a good way). The story also kind of felt a bit rushed.

Grizzly Man - 8/10

Herzog is a great documentarian, though it felt like it went on too long.

John Wick - 7/10

Good action flick, the Russian mob guy was fucking cringey though, both in dialogue and delivery. I will definitely watch the other two though.

A Serious Man - 6/10

Definitely not one of the Cohen brother's best works, still somewhat decent. Found it a bit boring though, and didn't really care for the main character.

Training Day - 8.5/10

Badass movie. Denzel gives a killer performance.

The Lighthouse - 9.5/10

Dafoe is amazing in this, one of my favorite movies I've seen in years. The director is someone I'll be keeping an eye out (The Witch was also great)

Uncut Gems - 8.5/10

Nothing like what I expected. Cool soundtrack and Sandler gives a great performance.

Parasite - 9/10

Very good movie, definitely worth the hype. I don't think they spent enough time on the poor family tricking the old one though.

Knives Out - 8.5/10

Great caper.

Spotlight - 8/10

A little too "serious" for my taste, but I still enjoyed this a lot.

Wickerman (original) - 4.5/10

I don't know, just didn't find it scary or even that interesting. Just one of those movies that everyone hails as a classic, but I really don't see the hype when viewed through a modern lens.

Logan Lucky - 7/10

Solid movie. Didn't think it was as weird or over the top as it should have been though.

The Revenant - 7/10

Great visuals, good performances. Kind of boring though and nowhere near as good as Birdman, and the story was pretty underwhelming.

Being John Malkovich - 9/10

Kauffman can do no wrong.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2020-08-26 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    .hcum os ti dekil I yhw si siht dna ,retsubkcolb lausu eht naht gnikniht erom ylthgils seriuqer ti dna euqinu stI .gnineercs retaeht a rof yllaicepse ,ti dnemmocer ylhgih I ,llarevO

.emoclew sti syatsrevo setunim 02 tsal eht ni tcepsa ralucitrap eno no sucof eht dna ,dne eht ta gnitarg adnik steg tI .htgnel sti si em rof tniop gniggan ronim rehtonA .trohs yllufeow sllaf eno siht dna ,lanosrep leef ot sah eivom A .seil walf tseggib s'teneT erehw si siht dna ,htped on htiw secived tnempoleved tolp ylerem era yllaicepse sretcarahC .noitpecxe on si eivom siht dna ,tius gnorts s'naloN reven era sretcarahc dna eugolaiD

.leef dna dnuos citsirutuf a teneT gnivig ,stnemele cinortcele evissergorp gnittif yrev sah ti ,wohs eht fo rats a osla si kcartdnuos ehT

.roolf eht no deppord waj ruoy evah lliw dna gniwolb-dnim ylurt era senecs emoS .detcerid erew yeht yaw eht dna senecs noitca eht era eivom eht fo rats eurt ehT

.tluaf naloN a ylelos si hcihw ,tnempoleved tolp fo rennam gnisufnoc eht si elbisneherpmocni s'taht gniht ylno ehT .swal nainotweN ruoy no hserfer attog tsuj uoy ,hsinif ot trats morf tnerehoc s'tI .gnitoof on evah elbisneherpmocni gnieb ti tuoba gnihctib era ohw elpoep tub ,hcum ti liops ot gniog ton m'I .swalf naloN lausu eht htiw deretsilb tub ,detucexe yllanemonehp dna euqinu si tpecnoc s'eivom eht gniveileb ,murtceps eht fo edis rehto eht no gnoleb I .ssalc scisyhp loohcs hgih gnirud noitnetta gniyap t'nerew ohw esoht gnieb sretah fo ytirojam eht ,selim yb gniziralop tsom sih si eivom naloN wen ehT

01/9 :teneT

https://www.textfixer.com/tools/reve...-generator.php
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-08-27 at 12:28 PM.

#Alive 3/10

It's ok if you are in the mood for a slow paced and cheesy Korean zombie movie. It's not very intelligent or meaningful, but hey not many zombie movies are. It's certainly no train to Busan (first one obviously).

Tenet (2020) - 9/10 (A)

Inverse hellhamster already gave some points, and I have already had some discussions about the movie on r/movies, and I will probably have some more discussions about it in the next couple of weeks. So I will just mention a couple of things.

First off, for about the first half of the movie, I thought it was "fine". Some funky sci-fi concepts, but it seemed mostly like a Nolan-take on a conventional spy thriller, which was pretty fast paced, and it was hard to catch it all the information we were given. However, doing the second half, the movie "clicked" for me, and I liked it a lot more, and I like it more and more as I keep pondering it. I think some people will have a hard time getting over that first impression of the movie, and I have also heard others which unlike me preferred the first half to the second half. I think repeat viewings will benefit the movie a lot, and I'm curious if I will think more highly of the first half knowing how it all fits together.

Second, the movie has met some criticism for being "emotionally cold", which it is. However, somewhat similar to what Nolan did in Dunkirk, I think it is intentionally cold. Nolan has in the past been criticized for making "cold" or "logos-driven" movies, but I don't think that's entirely fair, except for in Dunkirk and Tenet. He plays with the concept in a way, and most of his movies before Dunkirk were still character-driven, which the majority of movies are as the default. Tenet I would say is "idea-driven", or driven by the puzzle being presented and being solved. People have compared the movie to Inception and mention that Cobb as the main character has more development and emotions than the Protagonist in Tenet, which is true, because Inception is character-driven, while Tenet is not. We see the world from within the cold view of espionage, and the one character who all by themselves represent "normal emotional humans" is also sort of viewed through that lens. Which is all to say that yes, you probably will not form emotional attachments to most of the people in Tenet, but I would argue that it is not necessarily a bug.

All that said, I will probably watch the movie one more time in the theaters at some point soon and see how I will feel about it afterwards. The movie tickles me cerebrally, and beyond the "sci-fi gimmick" I also found the themes and the way they were presented interesting.

Just watched Police academy(1984)
    Never watched the whole movie until yesterday.
    And it's definitely 10/10
    Man, I miss those 80's and 70's. Although i was born in early 90's

I just saw Parasite on my desktop (obviously, movie theater industry is dead).

I avoided spoilers beside the obvious praise and attention it received. But I was hoping it was gonna be a horror movie about like. Some The Thing type shit taking over society, or like a zombie movie. Or some combination of both. I realistically expected it to be some social commentary movie based on how many people talked about this movie.

Movie was very good. The pace is perfect and keeps your attention. The plot itself is good, and actually surprised me with where it was headed early on.

The two things that really stuck out to me was how close the family was and how talented they happened to be when working together. It honestly makes me a bit sad and jealous, I can't even imagine being in that type of family dynamic.

I'll give it a hard 10/10. In it's category there's no other movie that can compare to it (as far as I know) so it's very novel, but it's also incredibly well done compared to itself and I don't think it could've done anything to improve.

Heathers (1989). Haven’t finished it due to depression.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Birds: A-

I haven't seen this Hitchcock classic in several years and I was surprised how well this lovecraftesque horror still holds up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anna: 2/10 Ten years ago. Three years later. Six months ago. Two weeks later. Five years ago. Seven months later. One hour ago. Four minutes later. Christ. Save for some hot trim and a couple decent action sequences, this wonky Joan Wick bullshit no jutsu crap can go fuck right off.

Double World: 4/10 Nice visuals, decent action, and a satisfying moment near the end of the movie can't save it from poor pacing, thin characters, and a dull plot.

What Happened to Monday: 5/10 That wasn't predictable at all! And it definitely didn't have any plot holes! I would totally watch it again! Thrice! Bonus point for an interesting concept and for my crush on Noomi Rapace.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Bill and Ted Face the Music: 7/10

I love the first two movies in the franchise and watched them a bunch when the came out, so I was looking forward to this one. I will say it does nod its head towards the previous two films, especially with some reoccurring jokes that made me laugh still. I can tell some of this movie had to be adjusted because George Carlin is no more, and I feel some of the established lore was ret-conned a bit in a forced manner (or maybe twisted/stretched as much as possible to allow this movie to exist and the plot to work). One thing that was really distracting was the CGI, as part of the charm of the first two movies was practical effects and clever use of camera work to avoid having to use late 80's / early 90's CGI. Some scenes felt MIB: International with some of the CGI effects, where it gives you the impression that you know it's super fake and completely aware it's CGI, and I couldn't help thinking they should've just stuck with an updated practical Phone Booth set, as they did in the 2nd installment. Practical effects >>>> CGI for me in most cases.

However, I can tell right away that Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter were loving life while doing this movie. And that's really great, as these movies are meant to be fun, enjoyable, and leave you feeling good after watching the movie. The time travel aspect doesn't always jive, but who cares as it's not meant to be taken that seriously, although some of the plot threads related to time traveling I don't think were wrapped up as neatly as they could be (I'd have to watch it again to double-check). While I could argue with some of the female casting choices not being the best, this movie doesn't give you the impression that there's a bunch of important female characters because <insert reason why men are bad and evil>. Also glad to see William Sadler reprising his role as Death, as well as keeping the character consistent with the same mannerism with the last movie despite being... holy crap, has it been almost 30 years?

Anyways, if you liked the first two movies, you'll probably enjoy this movie, too. And remember: be excellent to each other!
    Last edited by exochaft; 2020-09-02 at 05:07 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville