Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    College: Wisconsin
    Pro: Green Bay

I think growing up with a sport is part of what attracts you to it. That's why the rest of the world loves football (european) and the U.S. loves our version. Also, I can see why it would be painful to go to a sport that is 90 minutes straight of play (plus stoppage time) to a sport where there is a commercial break every 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Medivh View Post
    American Football is like rugby...with armor. And there are too pauses. The game isn't time fluent like soccer.
    This, I'm American and hate *our football* soccer owns it 24/7

cause its a pussie version of rygby

I am Sniper - Play Free Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Hehe exact point. And the armor. I mean if you wanna play rugby just play rugby, when you equip your tier 10 for the match, it loses it's point absolutely.
    They wear armor because of how insanely brutal the game is. An average NFL player is bigger, fast and stronger than the average rugby player. People would literally die out there if it were not for the helmets and and pads.

In short, it's because the game doesn't flow, really. You play a bit, then you stop, then you play a bit, then you stop, then you play a bit, then you stop. Unlike 'soccer', for example, where the game basically only stops when someone commits a foul or the ball is out of bounds, or there's a goal. With a decently long break in the middle of the game.

College: University of Utah... Go Utes!
    NFL: Oakland Raiders

OP: I was cheering hard for you to bring down Auburn. I really wanted to see you guys pull them out of the race of nationals.

The armor comments are kinda funny. Do you know what would happen to those sissy girls if they didn't have that armor on? The sport would be banned.

I would put money on it being called football as the number one reason it is hated. It doesn't make any sense and it uses the name of the sport other countries lose the minds over. Have you seen how they react when their team wins/loses? Then we go out and insult the entire sport by calling ours football and theirs soccer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
    How can you call football a game where you carry an odd shape ball with your hands?
    Because it's played on foot, not on horseback.

Anyway, NFL has a large following in the UK with games shown on several channels every week. Then there's been the sell-out International Series games at Wembley for the last four years.

The NFL team I support is the New Orleans Saints (I've been following them for about 23 years).

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm an American and I hate American Football.

Basically cause the "americans" tend to misscall a lot of things.
    1) You call Americans to the people born in the US, but people born in center, and south america are also americans.
    2) You call football a game that is 95% played while holding or throwing a ball, barely using your feet.

Tactical ball would be an appropiate (although stupid name) name for the sport.

I live in Argentina and here soccer (from now on Football or Fútbol in spanish) is like a religion but sometimes I njoy watching a superbowl or some baseball matches on ESPN.

NFL Football is my favorite sport to watch and play (played CB in HS + college). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I play fantasy football with a bunch of my friends and that makes it way more interesting to watch.

Americans like sports where points are scored more often. Just look at the top sports in America: Football, Basketball, Baseball. The 4th major sport is Hockey, and its last for a reason, lower scoring. Soccer (Football) is not as popular because there is very little scoring. To me, and many other people who don't really like soccer, I find it boring as hell. They just run back and forth and kick a ball around. Most games end with 1 or 2 goals, if that, and I just think that sucks.

I don't know anyone who really "watches" soccer, its as boring as watching golf. sure, they are both fun to play, but not good spectator sports.

This is a great thread. I have always wanted to get this perspective. I agree that a lot of it is what you grew up with and how much you have done it. My thoughts on soccer is that it's a bunch of guys running around kicking a ball with hardly any scoring. I bet that if I spent a bunch more time playing it, watching it, etc. my perspective would change on it.

Same thing applies to American football. The intensity, strategy and violence of the sport are extreme. If you spend time on it and learn it, you realize it's a lot more than what you thought. Let me assure those of you who claim it's a sissy sport that it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    The armor comments are kinda funny. Do you know what would happen to those sissy girls if they didn't have that armor on? The sport would be banned.

I would put money on it being called football as the number one reason it is hated. It doesn't make any sense and it uses the name of the sport other countries lose the minds over. Have you seen how they react when their team wins/loses? Then we go out and insult the entire sport by calling ours football and theirs soccer.
    Also, have you noticed international stadiums segregate the fan bases? If you think football fans are rowdy to opposing fans in the U.S. try wearing an English jersey in the middle of a German section at a world cup game.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
    BEcause you guys call THE REAL FOOTBALL soccer.

How can you call football a game where you carry an odd shape ball with your hands?
    This, just this

Deleted
    I'm Swedish and I watch every Jets game! TO SUPERBOWL, JETS!

Soccer on the other hand is the most boring sport ever! I mean come on.. Hardly any action, and every player fall if you as much as touch them.

Im American and I HATE football. Im sorry, but it's just boring as all hell to watch.

American but not a fan so I don't have a team to call my own. Unfortunately I live in a big college town(FSU) so I always have to stay in on game days or the traffic is unbelievable on this side of town. It just isn't an exciting game to me.

Basketball is where it's at.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even need to read this thread and can tell you that they hate it because it is called "Football" and they can't get past that fact, which is ridiculous to say the least. And yes, the ball gets kicked and punted. It may not be a majority of the game but the 'foot' is still used so stfu about it already.

Americans are famous for being the "Worlds Best" at sports few if anyone else care about. Baseball, american football, basketball... Ive heard top players over there bragging about being "World best"...nvm that they also are "World Only".

But this aint for beating at the otehr 2 sports...but american football

The game basically reminds you of a Pamplona bull run...how dodging a herd of bulls while carrying a ball translate into a sport is beyond me. Also the breaks... 7 secs of play, 1 minute at least of positioning etc.

Actually you can boil it down to the taste of the Budweiser they serve at the stadium. Bland, taste like stale sweat and the result is hardly worth the wait.

Personally I'd rather watch curling..at least that got some absurdity to it...

15+ Year Old Account
    Please try to keep the conversation civil guys.