Updating Current Computer, compatible?

Hey guys ive been looking around a lot to upgrade my computer and was wondering if this setup for my computer would be compatible. And if so, would it be running wow on atleast high settings?
    -ASUS P7P55D-E:motherboard
    -intel core i5-760: Processor
    -geforce gtx 460: graphics card
    - 6gb of ram
    And it's on a 20 inch 1600x1200 resolution monitor.
    Thanks

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks good to go! I use the same motherboard/processor and it's really awesome. Your graphics card is quite a bit better than mine so you should be fine there, and 6 GB RAM is more than enough. Are you planning on going 32 or 64 bit OS? Keep in mind that ventrilo has had some issues with Win7 64 bit, but otherwise it looks more than adequate.

Enjoy your new rig!

Ill be running on windos Xp 32 bit, if not, ill most likely make it windows 7 32. And awesome! Thanks so much.

Pointless to have 6gb ram using a 32bit OS since 32bit OS will only support up to 4gb. I haven't had any problems with vent on a 64bit OS.

Change it to 4GB RAM.
    You won't get more than 3-3.25 out of it anyway with a .32 Operating System.
    Is there any reason to use .32 OS, anyway? I'd recommend .64 and 4GB RAM.

Other than that, it will run smooth on ultra.

I was looking at it earlier and decided to go down 4gb, but don't have the money right now to buy a 64 bit os, maybe sooner or later i will, but whats the difference between a 64 bit os and a 32 bit anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Munen View Post
    I was looking at it earlier and decided to go down 4gb, but don't have the money right now to buy a 64 bit os, maybe sooner or later i will, but whats the difference between a 64 bit os and a 32 bit anyway
    Program-coding (don't know a lot about this, sorry!) and the fact that x32 only acknowledge 4GB of RAM in your system. That is with GPU included. So if you have the 768MB of the GTX460, you'll only get to use 3.25 GB of your RAM. No matter if you have 16GB RAM or 3.25. If you have a 1GB GTX460, you'll only get to use 3GB of RAM.

Okay so here's my reply.

1) The CPU will work as it's an i5 that was designed for the Intel P55 socket - however you may not get a great overclock out of that particular Asus board but if you're not interested in breaking records it will do just fine.

2) You cannot use 6GB of memory with that motherboard, It uses 4 DIMM slots so you're essentially limited to the Dual-Channel kits, (4GB or 8GB) this may be incorrect but Triple Channel support isn't a listed support option that I'm currently seeing on my nifty internet browser. 8GB kits are generally as expensive as 6GB kits - Go with something that's 1333MHz if you want to get a better deal but your motherboard can also support the higher 1600MHz DDR3 Dual-Channel kits.

3) You will need to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system to use anything above 3.268GB of memory (determined by your Video Card and Memory amounts). the physical limit in 32-bit operating systems is around that point with I believe the limit in 64-bit operating systems on the software side being something like 128GB for non-ultimate copies of Windows 7 (Ultimate was intended for businesses so I believe the limit is higher but absolutely no one unless they're building a server will ever come close to that number).

Please pay attention to comments 2 and 3, comment 1 isn't as important but steps 2 and 3 are incompatibilities that you need to address or you will be one angry customer when you have your upgrade parts.

Deleted
    The difference is what was just said. 32 bit will support only 4GB so if you have 4GB of ram only about 3gb will be usable since your graphics card also has its own RAM (1 gig). And 64 bit supports more RAM that can currently be put into a motherboard. (best motherboard supports 48gb while 64 bit supports over twice that amount)

edit: I thought 64bit limit was 192gb? Or something like that.

It may be, I was googling for the answer because I couldn't find it. I remember reading back that the limit is imposed on the software side of things and that with updates to Windows 7 Microsoft could theoretically raise the memory cap to a very large number.

Taken from Wikipedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Version Limit in 32-bit Windows Limit in 64-bit Windows
    Windows 7 Ultimate 4 GB 192 GB
    Windows 7 Enterprise 4 GB 192 GB
    Windows 7 Professional 4 GB 192 GB
    Windows 7 Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB
    Windows 7 Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB
    Windows 7 Starter 2 GB N/A

Yeh, i decided (again) that ill be using Windows 7 64 bit, im hoping by reading your guys comments thatll help the system. And yeah ill most likely not oveclock, never done it before. And this is wat ill use for the the ram : CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 1333MHz 240-pin DDR3 CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit