Cool How Will This Build fair in WoW on Ultra?

Hi there, just got a new PC ordered, gonna be a sweet upgrade from my currently awful facepalm laptop. I'd like to know how you guys think it'd cope with WoW set to Ultra, and where possibly i've made a mistake, or if anything is "bottlenecking" me as such.

Black ATX Tower Case

ATI Radeon HD 6870 - 1 GB - DVI/VGA/HDMI/mDP (Sapphire)
    Asus Sabertooth TUF (Intel X58)
    Intel Core i7 950 (4 x 3.06GHz) 8 MB
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Silent
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
    Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card (PCI-E)
    Motherboard Integrated 7.1 Sound
    Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) XMS3 1600MHz - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
    1 Port Firewire IEEE 1394 (Built In)
    Corsair Gaming Series 600W PSU - Low Noise
    Built & Tested CP
    1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB
    Samsung (SH-D162D) 16x DVD-ROM Black (SATA)
    Logitech 2.0 S-120 Black Speakers
    FREE - Cooler Master Gaming Mouse Mat

Im worried the 600w power supply may not be enough, after reading around the forums a little, but im hoping i've done a good job selecting the right components to fit what i want it to do, which is basically handle WoW in ultra, at very good FPS in 10mans, maybe some 25mans, and each zone. Not to concerned if major cities screw me.

Also - The case i've selected was the cheapest option, as i thought "meh, its only a case..." but im wondering if it will affect the heat of my system now, and the PC is already in production, so i cannot change it! :O

Thanks for the help!
    Tríxi

600watts is a little small but corsiar is tops as far as quality goes so I wouldn't be concerned with it at all unless you plan on overclocking at some point. As video cards go the 6870 is efficient and cool.

You may have heat issues with the case you might not. It's hard to say until you have the computer up and running. At stock clock speeds you shouldn't have an issue. Parts are manufactured with a worst case scenario in mind, poor ventilation in a hot room. You may need to add some case fans it's likely the case doesn't have any extra.

Edit: That build is pretty well future proofed. You should be able to run any current game at max to high settings for a few years to come.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

The PSU has plenty of power and comes from a good company, there's no need to worry.

The PSU is fine and you'll also handle ultra settings just fine. My setup in my sig is running off a 600W and I haven't had an ounce of problems running on Ultra.
    85 Worgen Deathknight (PVE) | 85 Human Mage (PVP) | 81 Human Rogue (Farmer)
    Intel Core i5 655K 3.2GHz @ 4.1GHz | Intel DH57DD Mobo | 8GB DDR3 Crucial Memory
    EVGA GTX460 OC 1GB | Intel 120GB SSD (OS + WoW) | 3 Seagate 1TB SATA HD's (Raid 5) | Seagate 1.5TB SATA HD (Media)
    Win7 x64 Ultimate | Coolermaster CM 690 II | Corsair H70 Closed Loop System | Westinghouse 42" LCD TV/Monitor | 2 AOC 22" LCD Monitors

i strongly suggest you to replace the 6890 with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-534-_-Product

Download MSI Afterburner, bump the voltage to 1050 and OC this beast to 900/1800/1900 , its fairly easy to achiev this OC ive seen many ppl ocing this gfx card to 1Ghz

.. you could also change the HD for a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 64M cache (sata3)

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    i strongly suggest you to replace the 6890 with this.....

Download MSI Afterburner, bump the voltage to 1050 and OC this beast to 900/1800/1900 , its fairly easy to achiev this OC ive seen many ppl ocing this gfx card to 1Ghz
    I agree that you'd benefit more from this option.
    85 Worgen Deathknight (PVE) | 85 Human Mage (PVP) | 81 Human Rogue (Farmer)
    Intel Core i5 655K 3.2GHz @ 4.1GHz | Intel DH57DD Mobo | 8GB DDR3 Crucial Memory
    EVGA GTX460 OC 1GB | Intel 120GB SSD (OS + WoW) | 3 Seagate 1TB SATA HD's (Raid 5) | Seagate 1.5TB SATA HD (Media)
    Win7 x64 Ultimate | Coolermaster CM 690 II | Corsair H70 Closed Loop System | Westinghouse 42" LCD TV/Monitor | 2 AOC 22" LCD Monitors

10+ Year Old Account
    Sabertooth has a minor inconvenience where if you add a second video card it'll block the remaining PCI slots due to them being so close together, but no biggie.
    Otherwise that setup looks great, go for it. It's completely overkill for WoW, but I doubt WoW is the only thing you'll be using it for :P

Sure I can't convince you to wait few days and see what the HD6900 series performs/costs like? I mean GTX460 and HD6870 are both great cards but AMD is going to unleash a new monster soon
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-12-12 at 08:19 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    If all you do is play WoW, it is a bit overkill. It will run pretty much everything...

Deleted
    Turn off shadows, avoid too many addons and a toaster can run WoW. Everything on your list is overkill if your only use of it will be playing WoW.

Wait for sandy bridge. (If you can)
    1366 is a bit much for most quad cores considering that there are reports of the new CPU's hitting 5Ghz on air cooling.

Want more speed in WoW? Load it on an SSD. WoW is a HUGE file, being able to read it so quickly is a HUGE difference when logging, flying or just loading mass amounts of players.

Noctua NH-D14 is a WAY better cooler (just make sure the RAM you buy is short or it will not fit)

In contradiction to some guys here, I can read and & understand you cannot change anything, as your PC is on its assembly right now.

Next time, forget the Xtra special gamer LAN card, it's proven it doesn't have any benefits against the onboard LAN.

15+ Year Old Account
    Network card and the Freezer 7 cooler thing are the only things that you shouldn't have purchased, everything else is good and solid and will make for a very nice gaming experience on any game
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Short answer - Will Max it. Longer answer - 6870 can be out performed by the GTX 570, GTX 580 but at a higher cost. Might just want to push the power supply up to 750 to be safe even with a Silver Rated PSU you're pushing it at 600w. Perhaps something like the Corsair 750TX would interest you - this would also in the future allow for more upgrades.
    Last edited by ThewF; 2010-12-12 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfectly fine for WoW as other have said, although 750W supply would be nice
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    That setup is way overkill not only for WoW but for most other games right now. You could spend almost half the amount and easily build a setup that would run on ultra without any problems. Build an i5 760 or Phenom II x4 965 setup with a HD6850 or GTX460 (MSI Talon Attack is the best bang for the buck), 4gb of whatever 1333-1600mhz memory you find the cheapest and use the extra money you saved and throw a 80gb SSD in there and be on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    Short answer - Will Max it. Longer answer - 6870 can be out performed by the GTX 570, GTX 580 but at a higher cost. Might just want to push the power supply up to 750 to be safe even with a Silver Rated PSU you're pushing it at 600w. Perhaps something like the Corsair 750TX would interest you - this would also in the future allow for more upgrades.
    So much PSU misinformation around these forums... The OP is by no means "pushing" 600 watts with this build, end of story. There is NO reason to get anything more unless the OP were to get two more graphics cards that are each rated a higher wattage. Even with two 6870's the OP will not consume enough power for a good 600 watt PSU to have any problems, the card is not as hungry as some of you want to think it is.
    Last edited by Nejji; 2010-12-12 at 11:31 PM.