Deleted

How far will I run Cataclysm on this LAPTOP?

Hi everyone hope you're all having great fun with Cataclysm, i'm pretty sure you are :P, unfortunatly I can't play it just yet since my Desktop is far too old and I have no HD space for it. Because of that i'll have to wait for my laptop coming on christimas, that i'll need for programming and at same time, will be used for playing WoW.

So the speccs are pretty much this:

Trademark: Toshiba (doesn't totally matter on the performance, but it's good to inform you that, I think that it's a trustable one)
    CPU: i5 (model 460M, which means it's a dual core), it's default clock is turned to 2.53 GHz but it has 2.80 GHz turbo (which following some things i've learned throughout google, is something that is automatically activated by the processor itself when it requires extra speed on cases such as gaming, multi tasking etc, so I presume i'll be playing at a rate of 2.80 GHz and not the 2.53 default ones, but I maybe wrong :/, would be awesome if you could certify that)

Videocard: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - 1 GB / GDDR3 / DDR3

RAM: 4 GB / DDR 3

500 GB HD space

How far will this laptop let me play Cataclysm with 40-50 fps? I don't need 60. But I don't want under 40 too, even considering 25 man raids, so for example running it with everything on high will I have 40-50 fps's even in 25 man raids?

Hope you guys can clear me out here, I really need to, thanks in advance,

Diogo

Deleted
    Sounds like it'll be able to handle it fine. If you can help it though, I would probably say to turn off real time shadows and maybe try changing the DX levels and see if they give you an increase in performance or decrease.

From what you listed, it shouldn't really have any problems. The only thing I'd suggest is to run on medium graphics.
    85 Worgen Deathknight (PVE) | 85 Human Mage (PVP) | 81 Human Rogue (Farmer)
    Intel Core i5 655K 3.2GHz @ 4.1GHz | Intel DH57DD Mobo | 8GB DDR3 Crucial Memory
    EVGA GTX460 OC 1GB | Intel 120GB SSD (OS + WoW) | 3 Seagate 1TB SATA HD's (Raid 5) | Seagate 1.5TB SATA HD (Media)
    Win7 x64 Ultimate | Coolermaster CM 690 II | Corsair H70 Closed Loop System | Westinghouse 42" LCD TV/Monitor | 2 AOC 22" LCD Monitors

10+ Year Old Account
    Medium? Hell, with those specs you can run everything on high and expect to have 40+ fps even in the most crowded situations!

(Turn down or off shadows if not, then i can almost guarantee it!)

PS: bit skeptic to that processor, but the rest sounds very good to me.

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick replies so far guys, but tell me one thing that really gets me into thinking, that Turbo thingy, i've read that what it means is that the i5 automatically shuts down a core that it doesn't need and will most likely overclock the other to run faster in cases such as games or multi tasking. The problem though, is that this i5 is a dual and not a quad core, so wouldn't it be weird that he would only run on 1 core while overclocking it? Could probably lead to serious overheating I guess....

---------- Post added 2010-12-12 at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maxmoaz View Post
    Medium? Hell, with those specs you can run everything on high and expect to have 40+ fps even in the most crowded situations!

(Turn down or off shadows if not, then i can almost guarantee it!)

PS: bit skeptic to that processor, but the rest sounds very good to me.
    But the most crowded situations that you mention are very very dependant, precisly on the CPU :P but I guess it won't be a prob, i5 is pretty good overall I think : / plus if this turbo thing really works , 2.80 is pretty fast.

---------- Post added 2010-12-12 at 12:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NoKz View Post
    From what you listed, it shouldn't really have any problems. The only thing I'd suggest is to run on medium graphics.
    Is that because of possible GPU overheat? Because i'm implementing a badass cooling system with 2 fans right under the laptop while having it lifted up :b.

turn off shadow completely, dont max sunshaft,water quality, view distance and ground cluster and ull get very decent FPS probably around 40-50fps

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo View Post
    Is that because of possible GPU overheat? Because i'm implementing a badass cooling system with 2 fans right under the laptop while having it lifted up :b.
    Overheating isn't really a concern. It's the fact the mobile CPU might be taxed too much if you run on ultra. I think the system would run better with the CPU and GPU working with Medium graphics or slightly above. However, your system might handle ultra just fine. I guess you really just need to test it. =P
    85 Worgen Deathknight (PVE) | 85 Human Mage (PVP) | 81 Human Rogue (Farmer)
    Intel Core i5 655K 3.2GHz @ 4.1GHz | Intel DH57DD Mobo | 8GB DDR3 Crucial Memory
    EVGA GTX460 OC 1GB | Intel 120GB SSD (OS + WoW) | 3 Seagate 1TB SATA HD's (Raid 5) | Seagate 1.5TB SATA HD (Media)
    Win7 x64 Ultimate | Coolermaster CM 690 II | Corsair H70 Closed Loop System | Westinghouse 42" LCD TV/Monitor | 2 AOC 22" LCD Monitors

Deleted
    So i've got almost all cleared out, but still 1 doubt remains. In crowded places, e.g Orgrimmar, will I get under 30 fps's on let's say... medium/high resolution? Looking at the CPU this time

yes you will, got almost exactly the same specs, cept i got a 430M i5. You will be at between 25-30 fps at High settings in orgrimmars most crowded places.
    Kolopotho: I will find it incredibly shocking and rare if some guy walks up to a girl in a pub and says "i play a level 80 druid in world of warcraft" to which she will respond with "TAKE ME NOW".

Deleted
    Ah that's so awesome you can't imagine how good that can be, i've been playing the entire WoW (I play since the 1º month of Burning Crusade) and I've allways had 1-3 FPS (yes 1, it reached 1 multiple times^^) in places such as Shattrath, Orgrimmar/Stormwind and Dalaran because of this Desktop's nasty CPU, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, it's a good pentium, it has a 2º virtual core, hence why It didn't burn out during my holidays while I consitently risked him out by walking around in 1 fps ^^

The prob is I got him in 2002 or near that, by that time it was a badass CPU, but in 2010? LOL oh yeah ^^ (I love him though ;-) although I called him nasty, but I play Starcraft 2 on low , sometimes on 60 fps :b and I can play modern warfare as well *.*, both the BIOS and the CPU on this PC, also the RAM, are from 2002, only the video card is more recent, has 2 years I think, ATI 4670 it's pretty decent but the mobo doesn't allow it to be fully used unfortunatly : /.
    Last edited by mmoc25e376576d; 2010-12-12 at 01:34 PM.

I think you could run this on ultra but leaving view distance to fair, shadows on low, and liquid on low, and having vertical sync disabled along with multisamping on 2x. While maintaining a 70+ fps.
    Last edited by Yozoh; 2010-12-12 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

And type in "World of warcraft" and cataclysm should be there.
    Thanks Batpanic for the amazing Sig!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talio View Post
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

And type in "World of warcraft" and cataclysm should be there.
    I appreciate your help try but please read the thread before posting, as I've said i'm waiting for this laptop to ''come in christmas'' which means i'm not posting on this forums on that PC, but on my lame desktop.