Deleted

How to use "Heal" as a disc

Hi,

I'am playing Evangelism/AA/Atonement spec, and I never find a situation where "heal" is the good spell to cast...
    Basically it heals for less than atonement/smite, which is definitly shorter to cast. and if i need to heal someone else than the tank, I don't have time enough to cast it.

How do you use Heal? or more specifically : do you use heal?

Deleted
    Its one of the most important spells right now, so yeah Ofcause I use it.

I use it when the tank aint getting bursted down. Its cheaper in mana cost and with a combo of PW:S, PoM and Renew, you should be able to cast it.
    I recommend using Inner Focus + Greater Heal to make a larger and free heal, if the tank needs lots of healing.

Deleted
    personally i would drop the Evangelism/AA/Atonement spec as the mana back from it at the moment is awful. I pretty much do the same as Lionbar aart from the renew part as i dont have the talent in holy

15+ Year Old Account
    "Heal" doesn´t heal for alot - but its cheap and you pretty much use it for the tank mainly (together with certain talents). Which imo is pretty awesome especially if the other players know how to protect themself as well - which they should at this expansion. So basicly what I´m doing atm (unless the tank gets mowed) Shield + heal, heal + shield etc. Should in most cases be enough and if its not you may need to burn mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Oasy View Post
    Hi,

I'am playing Evangelism/AA/Atonement spec, and I never find a situation where "heal" is the good spell to cast...
    Basically it heals for less than atonement/smite, which is definitly shorter to cast. and if i need to heal someone else than the tank, I don't have time enough to cast it.

How do you use Heal? or more specifically : do you use heal?
    I'm running this spec too. In dungeons with a tank I know I can trust, I smite my little heart out for crits of 15k and upwards. I reserve heal for ranged dps, and occasionaly melee, who seem to take an awful lot of damage thanks to everything doing 5y aoe damage. If my tank dips lower then 40% health, I use my Gheal to (not so quickly @_@) catch up, with a penance for a quick, cheep birst. I have my pom and IF on macro, which keeps IF running so long as its off cooldown.

As disc I found heal to be more useful in a raid then I have in 5 mans. We ran the new pvp boss in 10 man, and I found heal was a great way to keep people from dipping to low.

As for the guy with one post who says attonment is bad - you're doing something wrong! I've got it down to a science. Smite 5 times - angel wings. Heal heal heal till its gone. rinse repeat! The only time I find myself with real mana issues is if the mechanics of a fight are executed wrong (mob not killed that heals boos, etc) and the fight lasts longer then intended. that being said.. we've had a couple real intresting heroic boss fights thanks to my running every cooldown dry Ever see a disc priest and a mage kill a boss from 25%? ;p Attonement probably could use a little tweak, but overall its perfectly fine.

Leap of Faith is amazing. Nuf said!
    Last edited by Rosechyld; 2010-12-13 at 12:46 PM.

It's Penguin Heaven, Dave. It's anywhere you want it to be.

It lowers the duration of weakened soul (when talented). Super useful in and of it self.

Quote Originally Posted by Delinquent View Post
    personally i would drop the Evangelism/AA/Atonement spec as the mana back from it at the moment is awful. I pretty much do the same as Lionbar aart from the renew part as i dont have the talent in holy
    when spec evangelism/AA/atonement smite is you "heal filter spell". the only reason to actually cast heal when spec that way is when a range needs it really. and now if your spec strength of souls. than heal is you "heal filter spell."

honestly the dev have shown that they want to have both ways viable so what it actually come down to is what style you like the best. I have a "heal spec" and a "smite spec" and i think they both work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oasy View Post
    Hi,

If you weren't smite spec, you'd be spending less mana on Heal than you would be on Smite. It would be healing with Grace, so it doesn't heal "less than atonement", and if you need to heal someone other than the tank, it would be controllable who gets it when.

Heal also is better than Smite for tank healing beyond those, because the second that Atonement heals someone that it wasn't supposed to, then you have to "step up" and spend more mana to just keep your tank in a good threshold area.

"Do you use heal?" Yes, all the time. And so should you.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't use heal either in the lower levels when I healed as Discipline inside dungeons. People (other than melee and tank) took rare damage, and if they did I just saved Penance for them or used Flash Heal for the needed situations. But as soon as you enter the Cataclysm zones and start healing, then Smite doesn't work in that same way.

I assume you're low level, because healing inside Cataclysm dungeons without [Heal] seems like worth an achievement. :]

I healed Halls of Origination regular without [Heal] and without issues. I don't even have it on my bar. >< I'm not a full time main spec healer, but after reading this I am definitely going to try [Heal] out the next time I am asked to heal...

10+ Year Old Account
    Heal is a psychologically difficult spell to use. If you spam it on the tank you can actually keep him up fairly well, but you won't TOP him off which is what we're used to in WotLK. Its just difficult to wrap your head around it and it will take some practice. Here is a brief Disc healing video which uses heal quite often: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KiKBHb9t5A

Having had a chance to test both smite healing spec and Heal spec, I have to side with the atonement-haters out there, and it's a shame. It was a pretty fun mechanic while leveling and in LK heroics but spamming heal while reducing the weakened soul debuff is just so much more effective and precise and efficient overall that I just can't justify spending the 5 points. If the mana return maxed at 15% like it used to, it would be a viable option. Less precise than Heal, no weakened soul reduction, but far more mana efficient and less boring. At 85, that 15% wouldn't make it a free cast until you had somewhere around 96000 mana anyway, so I'm still puzzled as to why they would reduce it so much.

---------- Post added 2010-12-14 at 05:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Omnus View Post
    Heal is a psychologically difficult spell to use. If you spam it on the tank you can actually keep him up fairly well, but you won't TOP him off which is what we're used to in WotLK. Its just difficult to wrap your head around it and it will take some practice. Here is a brief Disc healing video which uses heal quite often: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KiKBHb9t5A
    100% agree with you that keeping a tank's health afloat takes some getting used to. I've just now gotten comfortable with the idea of not topping people off.

Oh, and to answer the OP's original qustion, How to use "Heal" as a disc? As often as humanly possible.

Deleted
    I'm personally using "Heal" all the time.

Using Borrowed time, I shield the tank, 2x Heal, I can shield him again, I shield a melee, I cast a Heal. I mean it's not that hard for me to see WHEN I have to cast Heal instead of something else.

Edit : And I'm disc, without Archangel spec.