Hammer of the Righteous vs Swipe

Why does HoR hit twice as hard with a half as long CD?

Kinda makes which tank to level pretty easy eh? Makes me sad no more blue haired bear.

How are the 2 at 85? Both druid and pally tanks of mine are 82, but right now there is no hope for the bear... the paladin outshines him in all aspects. Does this change?

If all you're doing is Swiping while bear tanking, you are doing it wrong. They have a done of abilities they need to use while tanking, and you do need to use them all.

Im sorry, I didnt read in my post where all I did was spam swipe. Was it secret code? Why would i want to swipe, thrash, tab lacerate/mangle, and spam maul at every cd, when I just just spam HoR and AS when its up and have the same effect.

Im asking does it change at 85, or is pally tanking much eaiser than bear tanking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    Im sorry, I didnt read in my post where all I did was spam swipe. Was it secret code? Why would i want to swipe, thrash, tab lacerate/mangle, and spam maul at every cd, when I just just spam HoR and AS when its up and have the same effect.

Im asking does it change at 85, or is pally tanking much eaiser than bear tanking?
    They are all easy to use if you like that tanking style. All are just as effective if used properly. It really only comes down to which one you enjoy most.

The reason for that would probably be because it's more of a challange to play bear if all you do as a paladin is using 2 abilites?:S I'd certainly find that rather boring, but go ahead if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post

Paladins are not really effective if all you do is spam HotR and AS in dungeons...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

The only advantage to the bear it seems is thier mastery if pretty superior to the paladins. Im wondering which is more effective, and why the hell is swipe so terrible?

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 01:52 PM ----------

Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate the constructive critiscism here.

My pally tank would like to have a word, and disagree with you. HoR and AS is "really effective". But please show me your armory to your 85 paladin or bear tank and I will look it over.

*sigh* judging from the other replies in this post there is some misunderstanding about what tanks actually do.

The HARDEST part of tanking is NOT surviving the boss OR keeping threat. Its actually to handle the raid group he is with. Tanks are equipped with "save" mechanics to help people not die, reduce threat (of another player), pick up adds, and also not die to a boss encounter's auto-kill mechanics. All that ON TOP of meta gearing and proper survival skills plus threat management.

Do you really expect your tank to do all that well while GCD locked. Tanking is about handling the stupidity of the raid. As it is i think that Bears will have the hardest time tanking stupid. So bring your Pallys and Warriors and leave Bears behind.. if you want to be able to use skills more involved that WoLK spamfest we've been playing for a couple years now.

OT: no i have no imput on beartanks at 85. I tank with my warrior.

HoR without Inquisition isn't brilliant. Neither is Swipe. AOE tanking is supposed to be more difficult.

I have no issue w/ threat at 85, but I will say the rotation and work required is pretty intense, even in 5-man instances.

I do notice, however, that my DPS is actually significantly higher than a prot pally's. So while that isn't always a major concern, it does give a slightly larger cushion to DPSers on fights where it's a race against a hard or soft enrage timer.

In my opinion, I'd remove swipe from your bars. The damage is so gimped for the rage cost, it's simply not worth it. Thrash is much better and is even considered by many to be viable for a single-target rotation. Swipe is useful in some situations when there's more than say, four mobs, but aside from that, I don't think it should even be considered. Taking that into consideration, it simplifies the rotation somewhat.

As for why HoR is so much better, I don't know. Many people who play bears that are smarter than me thought the "nerf" to swipe prior to cata launch was a bug, but Blizzard said it was intended. All we can do is make due with the tools we have.

Druid are fine, i have ZERO threat issues in heroics tanking. Bind a skull to a key mark it every pull, profit, once skull is dead you have enough threat on all targets to not care much anymore. On the other side druid single target threat right now obliterates paladins. I have good paly friend i hate to watch my threat with him at the start. But when i tank i dont see any dps closer then 60% of my threat even 14-15k dpsers.

LOL you play a paladin.

OT: bear tanks atm require you to use all their abilities in order to succeed. If you only spam swipe which isn't even spammable then you have NO IDEA how to play a feral Druid. All I can say is that you should just play your paladin and be happy with your overpowered class. I'll keep playing my Druid and enjoy it. Enjoy your 2 button rotation!

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    HoR without Inquisition isn't brilliant. Neither is Swipe. AOE tanking is supposed to be more difficult.
    Aoe paladin tanking is NOT difficult in the least. The only problem is how hard mobs hit now, threat is absolutely not an issue.

Aoe bear tanking is a big rougher, with swipe doing half the damage and the CD twice as long (read, its about 1/4 as effective as HoR) but its doable, with the same limiting factor as before.

I guess my real question, is there a disticnt advantage of having one or the other, or are both perfectly capable and it comes down to taste?

I have good paly friend i hate to watch my threat with him at the start.
    I hate to tell you this but your pally friend is bad. From personal first hand experiance, I dont have

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    LOL you play a paladin.

OT: bear tanks atm require you to use all their abilities in order to succeed. If you only spam swipe which isn't even spammable then you have NO IDEA how to play a feral Druid. All I can say is that you should just play your paladin and be happy with your overpowered class. I'll keep playing my Druid and enjoy it. Enjoy your 2 button rotation!
    I have a distinct feeling you didnt read this post. Bear tanking is not hard or difficult its stupid. No I dont spam swipe. I use thrash/swipe/mangle/tab lacerate/glyphed maul/taunt ifneeded at every GCD. Threat is not hard. If you think threat is hard, perhaps you should quit playing... I apprecaite your info about level 85 heroic bear tankign though, your post is usefull AND valid!

Pally tank here, I start off with divine plea, inquisition, hammer, consecrate, hammer, judge, hammer, inqisition, hammer, AS, hammer, judge, hammer, inq, etc etc.

AS only hits 3 targets
    Consecrate at MOST crits for like 1500.

Not that bad, really. My bear co-tank for raids does some wicked AoE damage as well. (He also practically soloes the bombs on Toxitron every time berserk's up, and does pretty good damage to them even without that.)