Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Discipline Mastery "Soft Cap"

Hello there!

The "Cataclysm Discipline Priest Compendium" on EJ mentions a mastery "soft cap".

I then tried to search for this potential soft cap, but I haven't been able to find it so far.

Are anyone aware of this soft cap or does it exist at all?

At this point I'm just going for a fairly even amount of haste/mastery rating.

Cheers, Ooc.

perhaps you mean da, which is affected by mastery and which cap is 30% of priests hp iirc.

Dont use mastery atm, its a horrable stat for disci. This isnt to flame you but looking at it why waste so much other meaningful stats like crit or haste or a tiny bit more on our shields. Unless they buff up the stat by alot maybe 5 % for every point of mastery its really not worth it to you

It 179 rating to get one point of mastery that increases sheilds by 2.5%
    Now whats 2.5% of 11k? , its 275 , how useful is that 275 extra damage not a whole lot
    now say 179 crit rating , is 1% crit not a whole lot yes but id rather stack all those 1% crits than 275dmgs

Well, I run with 16 mastery atm (holy) - as Disc this would be 16*2.5% = 40%, so every shield will be 40% stronger, that is not 11k shield, but a 15.4k shield, and after a PoH witch hits for 7k, thats not a 2k shield on everybody (because of Divine Aegis) but a 2.8k shield.
    Isnt that bad, and imo better then crit, but if you ready on EJ, they say you should get a balanced amount between haste, crit and mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find Mastery very useful. I have around 35%, and I see almost a 50% difference between my shields as Disc and my shields as Holy (with Improved PW:S on Disc and not Holy). I have a trinket with a Mastery proc on it, and my shields gain about 2000 when that happens.
    85 Priest/72 Druid/85 Mage/24 Shaman/56 Paladin

Mastery is the best stat for holy atm and great as well for disc (except itn and spirit ofc).

I'm sitting at 48% and not to mention that it's amazing in 5 man as well. Don't ignore mastery, you will need it a lot more than haste past soft cap in raids. (Although you shouldn't raid as disc as it's shit except on Chimaeron and hardmode conclave of wind)

Deleted
    imo for disc priest mastery = intellect , cos with last changes on DA -> 100% proc on PoH , atm PoH is your main and the only spell as disc for aoe heal , u will have some nice numbers on your meter , for example for me (25man raids) total healing with PoH = 40% (15% overheal) and DA = 30% (0% overheal), that's mean PoH efective healing is realy close to DA absorbs.

None of this answers the question posed though, is there a soft cap on mastery for disc priests, and if so, what is it?
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Clarification

"We will be reforging crit to mastery or haste, depending on how much of each you feel
    comfortable with. Holy may choose mastery or haste, Disc may want extra mastery (depending how close
    to the soft cap you are)."

In context, I think that this is referring to the haste soft cap. They're saying to reforge mastery over haste if you're close to the haste soft cap. Very poorly written though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidonis View Post
    None of this answers the question posed though, is there a soft cap on mastery for disc priests, and if so, what is it?
    As of 4.0.3 the only mastery "Cap" is when a single GH crit can produce a DA larger than 20% of your raid buffed health.

Given a raid buffed Health of 125k, this means the largest Aegis one can have on a target is 25,000.

Given a 45k GH crit, your mastery "Cap" would be 55% Shield Discipline [22 MST], or 14MST [2,510 MSTR] from gear.

If your health scales faster than your SP, this would reduce the "Cap."

===========================

Some disc priests on the PTR, however, have reported DAs stacked to 40k+, which may indicate that the MaxDA formula may change for 4.0.6, thus eradicating any need to mention a DA "Cap" because it would be essentially unreachable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    Mastery is the best stat for holy atm and great as well for disc (except itn and spirit ofc).

I'm sitting at 48% and not to mention that it's amazing in 5 man as well. Don't ignore mastery, you will need it a lot more than haste past soft cap in raids. (Although you shouldn't raid as disc as it's shit except on Chimaeron and hardmode conclave of wind)
    I thought Haste was the best stat for Holy? And disc "shit" in raids? Looks like you don't know how to play it properly. I healed all of Bastion as Disc and we did just fine. Also did Magmaw, Omnotron, Maloriak, Atramedes and Nef attempts as Disc, no problems at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Mastery is currently discs +1 stat.

Reason?

Look at logs, PoH is top spell on almost every fight.

DA procs off every single PoH regardless of crit, and stacks.

You do the math.

I know very well how to play disc.

I'm also aware of that disc is the weakest healing class ingame, and so does everyone except you.

Disc is only good at conclave and for barrier, besides that it's less on all other aspects.

Edit: And that will off course change when the patch hits^

Uhm, i have not see DA stack. Never have i seen a number come up on the buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    I know very well how to play disc.

I'm also aware of that disc is the weakest healing class ingame, and so does everyone except you.

Disc is only good at conclave and for barrier, besides that it's less on all other aspects.

Edit: And that will off course change when the patch hits^
    Get out of town, just because you aren't as pro as I think I am doesn't mean you should drag other people down to the same level.

What everyone else in this thread is failing to understand about the "soft cap", which is 32.5% increased absorbs, is that it effectively makes a critical heal a 200% increase over a non-critical heal.

Remember how healing crits are only 1.5x (or 150% better) than a non-critical heal? 32.5% Shield Mastery bumps that up to 200% when you factor in the Divine Aegis shield.
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-01-30 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Edited so you don't get a warning on one of your first posts. Go read the forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by Rimuladas View Post
    Uhm, i have not see DA stack. Never have i seen a number come up on the buff.
    The "stack" is not a constant, therefore cannot be assigned an integer to signify stacks. It stacks based upon the size of the critical heal put on the targets. So, a GH crit puts up a DA of 15k, then a renew crit applies an additional 1k DA before the target is hit, the total DA on the target is 16k.

---------- Post added 2011-01-30 at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ethris View Post
    What everyone else in this thread is failing to understand about the "soft cap", which is 32.5% increased absorbs, is that it effectively makes a critical heal a 200% increase over a non-critical heal.
    While this may be a significant benchmark, it is not what defines a "Soft-Cap." For instance, reducing the GCD to 1sec is a haste "soft-cap" because it makes stacking haste beyond that point worthless for instant and 1.5sec casts. However, one could still stack haste to reduce the cast time on 2+sec casts.

The size of the DA one places from GH is a "soft-cap" because it can produce the largest single DA. Any mastery beyond that GH "soft-cap" is wasted on GH, but is still applicable to spells like PoH.

EDIT: The value of a "soft-cap" is relative to your spec/class/role. For example, the GCD haste "soft-cap" is nearly a "hard-cap" for an aff-lock. The GH: DA "soft-cap," however, isn't really applicable to a raid healing disc priest, but very applicable to a tank healing one.

Deleted
    Some interesting replies.

Do we agree that the soft cap with 2/3 Darkness and 5% haste buff is around 5129.5 haste? (2926.9 with BT) (EJ Disc Compendium).

Which seems pretty out of reach at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Ooc View Post

Do we agree that the soft cap with 2/3 Darkness and 5% haste buff is around 5129.5 haste? (2926.9 with BT) (EJ Disc Compendium).

The "soft-cap" that you mention from EJ is for dropping the GCD to 1sec w/ BT, assuming 2/3 Darkness & 5% haste from raid buff. This is only applicable to casting multiple successive bubbles, or casting a 1.5sec or instant cast spell w/ BT. Basically, you cannot spam bubbles any faster after reaching 2926.9 HstR, nor can you cast a 1.5sec or any other instant cast faster w/ BT. At 5129.5 HstR you cannot spam FH, Renew, BH, or unglpyhed HN any faster.

Of course, this "soft-cap" is only as good as how often you spam bubbles, or cast a 1.5sec or instant cast spell w/ BT. Spells like PoH, GH, Penance, & Heal still scale well from HstR beyond 2926.9. None of these are likely to be capped even with BT [without PI or BL/Hero/TW].

Quote Originally Posted by Ooc View Post

is it me or does 2926.9 haste still seem like a crazy amount??????????

10+ Year Old Account
    nice necro