Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Discipline Spec/ Suggestions

Hi! I've been a long time reader of MMO-Champion forums and was hoping to find suggestions as well as help with disc healing in Catacylsm. Currently I'm running with a spec that does not include atonement or evangelism and i spend my extra points into the holy tree so I can get surge of light as well as inspiration.
    However I'm unsure of the necessity of surge of light since it rarely tends to proc for me. Also I was wondering if the spell haste from the shadow tree is worth it or not.

Any comments or suggestions would be great! Feel free to post your own specs so I can see what other people are doing

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary

this, maybe move 2 from strength of soul to train of thought for inner focus cd

Yea thats the same as my build except i have surge of light instead of the fade/shadowfiend talent.
    Is Greater Heal a mana efficient heal though or does it need to be used situational like Flash heal?
    I find I don't use Greater heal much which is why I never thought of picking up Train of Soul.

Deleted
    i would go for improved renew instead of divine fury, 3 point on darkness, remove 2 points from inner sanctum to train of thought instead of strenght of soul and reforge to crit for divine aegis to proc. Greater heal is mana efficient only on tanks.
    Last edited by mmocad03b94919; 2010-12-16 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    i would go for improved renew instead of divine fury, 3 point on darkness, remove 2 points from inner sanctum to train of thought instead of strenght of soul and reforge to crit for divine aegis to proc. Greater heal is mana efficient only on tanks.
    improved renew is stright trash for disc atm. divine fury is a MUST without it you will have 3sec heal baseline. so u simply MUST spec into is if you are disc or holy for the 2.5sec heal cast. darkness is a godsend spec into it. and viled shadows is ok if u need the extra mana return but if you are fine it ok to leave it out.

also i wouldnt suggest reforging crit right now, haste is MUCH better atm

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzro...hMZb:qVczom0zV

Is what I'm currently running. And GHeal is situational, but more like "Oh now, the tank is kinda low and Penance is on CD. *Cast GHeal*" while Fheal is more like "OH GOD! THE TANK'S GOING TO DIE IN 2 SECONDS!" So I personally feel that ToT is better than 2 points in IS, especially since I stance dance enough that I don't have Spell Warding up all the time. And I'd recommend Darkness over Veiled Shadows as Plated said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orapronobis View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzro...hMZb:qVczom0zV

Is what I'm currently running. And GHeal is situational, but more like "Oh now, the tank is kinda low and Penance is on CD. *Cast GHeal*" while Fheal is more like "OH GOD! THE TANK'S GOING TO DIE IN 2 SECONDS!" So I personally feel that ToT is better than 2 points in IS, especially since I stance dance enough that I don't have Spell Warding up all the time. And I'd recommend Darkness over Veiled Shadows as Plated said.
    ^ This

Identical to the spec I'm raiding with at the moment and in my opinion the only Disc spec worth considering for raiding with. (I chose Flash Heal over Prayer of Healing glyph, but that's just personal preference)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
    I think I am going to try out the spec in the previous post and see how it works out.

Deleted
    take 2 from inner sanctum (useless in pve) and put it on reflective shield or train of thought

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b4ckiz View Post
    take 2 from inner sanctum (useless in pve) and put it on reflective shield or train of thought
    Reflective Shield is a crapload more useless in PvE than Inner Sanctum is. Inner Sanctum is Reduced Spell Damage/Increased Runspeed vs. Damaging a 32m HP boss for a fraction of whatever you absorb with your Shield, on yourself only?

I think not good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaco View Post
    Yea thats the same as my build except i have surge of light instead of the fade/shadowfiend talent.
    Is Greater Heal a mana efficient heal though or does it need to be used situational like Flash heal?
    I find I don't use Greater heal much which is why I never thought of picking up Train of Soul.
    Greater heal is awesome! And yes, it's mana efficient. I've macroed both PI and IF to my greater heal, and i can actually spam it quite a lot.. whenever your tank drops low and heal or penance is not going to cut it, cast 2 greater heals and he is back to full. I never cast flash heal; whenever things start to get tricky greater heal will bring you back in the safe zone, without burning through your mana.

Hmmmm Interesting I'll have to setup up something like that. Another thing I've been wondering is if anyone has links to either a post on MMO Champion here or just a guide for how to setup mouseover macros for healing with say something like Grid. Since the beginning of my healing career I've only used Healbot and although its really good for beginners I want something more customized and to cut down on lag when using Healbot.

On a side note what are your guys thoughts about power infusion, should I be using it on cooldown or is it situational?

Thanks!

http://wowtal.com/#k=1v21noVD.a8t.priest.qOoR6q

This is the Spec I use. I currently heal in a 10-man Guild, with a Resto Druid Primarily on Raids, Holy Paladin Primarily on Tanks, and I fill in the gaps when needed. This can be as much as healing the Offtank with Heavy Damage, helping the Raid Mitigate Damage, or even helping out all around while I cleanse. I'm clearly a Disc Priest. Mana so far isn't an issue with me between my Spirit Regen, Mana Potions, Shadowfiend, Hymn of Hope and Arcane Torrent.

While assisting raid healing, I keep a Shield on the Tank so I can get the Rapture Procs, as soon as Weakened Soul is off, he gets another Shield. This alone is giving me almost 6000 mana every 12 seconds. When it comes to healing raids, I use Renew if they're around 80% Health and not about to take a lot of damage, PoH once or twice if they just took a large chunk of damage, and then I use Heal to fill in the last bit. Flash Heal is used if they're borderline dead, and I know more damage is incoming. When it comes to tank healing, I like to keep 3 stacks of Grace on them, and a Shield as much as possible, If Penance is on cooldown, I use a Heal if the incoming damage is slow, and a Greater Heal if they're taking a lot of damage. I also use Power Infusion on myself to help with this, and Inner Will is kept on cooldown. Our Tanks are a Feral Druid and Protection Warrior for those who want to know.

All in all, I feel Disc could possibly use a slight buff in terms of Shields, making them a bit more powerful. As it stands now, it's barley noticeable for what they're designed around, but it's still 12k that you no longer have to heal, so who knows.

I attempted using a Surge of Light Spec, but it didn't proc enough for my tastes because of Penance, PoH and Greater Heal being used a fair bit as well. I feel it's designed more around a Holy Priest, or a Disc Priest with more Haste so they can Machine Gun Heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaco View Post
    Base Greater Heal has a worse HPM than Heal but with ToT it can be near identical. So use it all the time for the tank. Just make sure you aren't overhealing with it.

I tried a build with Eva/AA/Atonement at first but hardly used them so when I started doing heroics I specced out of them. But, I think of maybe giving them another chance again because I do have other talents now I don't think contributes much to my playstyle. Strenght of Soul is one of them. Sould Warding is another. Yes, Sould Warding. How often do I cast two consecutive shields? Almost never. One shield followed by a PoH most likely is better for the group if everyone is taking lots of damage.

So I'm thinking of respeccing to this spec: http://wowtal.com/#k=vO8bAUNh.a8t.priest. At least to evaluate for a while. I still think the Atonement gimmick is interesting whether it's acutally good or not. The two talent points in Darkness I guess can be switched around.
    Last edited by Gahijnu; 2010-12-17 at 08:13 AM.

If one was to pick up the new Focused Will for 20% less raid damage (which is huge!), would this be the build to do so with?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Are they making Focused Will raid wide now? Because I missed that if they announced it. And yes, I'd probably drop the 2 points from the Shadow tree (They're really nice points but certainly not utility).

As far as mouseover macros, use clique if you're lazy otherwise a mouseover macro looks like this:
    Code:
    #Showtooltip
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast [@mouseover] Greater Heal

15+ Year Old Account
    You may want to take points out of strength of soul instead, shields aren't very mana effective unless they can proc rapture.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you took points out of strength of soul you lose the ability to effectively tank heal. So yes, if you're only going to be managing the raid and don't need to spend a lot of time on the tank you could take it out there, but by taking it out of darkness you don't lose any utility.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, unless the shields proc rapture it's better to use GHeal if you need higher hps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your argument against SoS doesn't make any sense to me. Continuing to harp on rapture means (to me at least) that you think that lots of bubbles are being thrown around, which they shouldn't be, especially if you're tank healing. SoS lets you extend the tank's EH by 12-16k every 6 seconds or so, which you don't seem to be taking into account. You now have time to cast a Gheal if it's needed or, in low damage periods, to cast 2 heals to top the tank off and then extend his health pool again.

__EDIT__
    I reread the internal cool down on rapture, so yes, it could proc inside the 12 seconds again, but I still think you're over looking the important of the EH aspects.
    Last edited by Orapronobis; 2010-12-17 at 07:22 PM.