How to movement and control in wow

I have played wow on and off since vanilla and never really got too much control of my toon cause the keyboard didnt fell much like a controller to me, sure i could stay alive in boss fight with alot of movement but in pvp i get destroyed cause people can just run around me and take me out from behind, when i came back for cata i started a rogue and im still having trouble picking up the movement aspect of the game, i use a combination of my mouse and my asdw keys to move and to attack but im very stiff and slow to turn.

My question is how do you move in wow, are you someone who can run circles around other players and npc's, what do you suggust as the best way to move around in combat via pvp or pve.

1, Use A,S,D,W
    2, hold right mouse buttom
    3, Turn fast with your mouse and try to be pro
    4, ???????
    5, Proofit!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedudeking View Post
    I have played wow on and off since vanilla and never really got too much control of my toon cause the keyboard didnt fell much like a controller to me, sure i could stay alive in boss fight with alot of movement but in pvp i get destroyed cause people can just run around me and take me out from behind, when i came back for cata i started a rogue and im still having trouble picking up the movement aspect of the game, i use a combination of my mouse and my asdw keys to move and to attack but im very stiff and slow to turn.

My question is how do you move in wow, are you someone who can run circles around other players and npc's, what do you suggust as the best way to move around in combat via pvp or pve.
    Hi, its actually rather simple. You have to use your mouse to move around. To turn quickly, hold the right mouse button and rotate the mouse, to move forward press both mouse keys. I also have the keep-runnign button bound to my mouse extra key, this can be very useful. Only use your keyboard for strafing (and maybe occasional run forward) - but never ever run backwards - its way too slow. Best thing is to unbind turn and back keys from the keyboard completely. If you need to run away, you can strafe or just quickly turn and run forward. Also, make sure you have aggregated you most useful abilities into macros and bound all of them to the keyboard keys. This way you can act and react very quickly.

like the guy above said but a little less sarcastic is to move with wsad and turn with your mouse. I suggest binding "a" and "d" to strafe left and right respectively so that you are forced to turn with your mouse. This is one of those things that is 100% required for PvP. It is impossible to keyboard turn at the speed of someone using a mouse and thus they can very easily stay on your back the entire fight because you have limited movement.

I used to move with keyboard and click my spells because I played a warlock and didn't pvp. Then I made a ret pally and decided to pvp and got my ass handed to me over and over til i forced myself to swap to keybinds and moving with mouse. Now I don't play any class without keybinds as it is just faster. Funny thing, I once saw someone say "I click my spells because it raises my raid awareness because I'm looking at my screen and not the keyboard" which is just fail on so many levels lol.

(guy above me beat me to posting lol)

ahh i didnt know i could turn with mouse, and i have bound an autorun button though.

Deleted
    Most PvPers use either WASD or ESDF for movement - personally I'm used to ESDF and recommend it.

What you should do is bind the top/bottom key of your chosen setup to move forward/backward, then bind the side keys to strafe right/left respectively.

Next, keybind your abilities around those buttons. I usually setup my BT4 bars to have the same positioning as the actual keyboard keys, but that's personal preference. My keys look like this:

Bind your most frequently used spells on the R/W (or E/Q if you're using WASD) keys, then group the other spells accordingly.
    Abilities you use frequently: W, R, T, G, H, A
    Abilities you want to hit at a moment's notice: Mouse4, 3, 4, H, T
    Abilities you use fairly often, but you know beforehand when: 1,2,5,Y,Z,Q,B,V,C,X
    Then bind your remaining abilities as needed.

Now, you move by holding down E (or W, respectively) and using your right mouse button+mouse movement to turn, while still having immediate access to all abilities.

Deleted
    What have you done with Y and Z?

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedudeking View Post

Amazing- The most humble and honest post I've ever seen in a wow forum. I mean that genuinely.

In the WoW options, you can find some settings for your mouse. I suggest you analise these and all of your WoW in-game default options.

You can set your mouse to use Right-Click for movement. So if you do a single right click on a spot in-game, your character will run to that location. This is fairly negligible. What is very useful, is holding down the right click while you run. Doing this you can use your mouse to steer your character. You can also use this to change your characters facing, even while standing still.
    This is the most precise way to move and face your character.

You might need to adjust your mouse sensitivity, or in-game cursor movement speed.

Yes, you should definitely also use either a w s d q e, OR, e s d f w r, for your main movement keys. Forward, backward, steering, and strafing keys.
    Many players will tell you to not use all six movement keys and either get rid of the strafe binds, or the steering binds, and while this is fine, it really comes down to preference. Player often like to use q & e or w & r as extra hotkeys for abilities.

I personally prefer to use all 6 movement hotkeys. This allows me the greatest control of the movement of my character with my keyboard hand all by itself, without the use of the mouse for facing. It's best to use the mouse for facing though.
    The reason I prefer this is because I do click many ability hotkeys with my mouse cursor, instead of assigned hotkeys. I find in wow, there are simply too many abilities, to hotkey everything.
    With the 6 movement keys, I am able to quite capably continue my movements, strafing, facing with my keyboard hand, while taking a half-second to click an ability with my mouse cursor.

If you don't use your 6 movement hotkeys and you remove the steering or strafe keybinds, then you will absolutely rely on the mouse (or arrow keys), for facing. I find this limiting as a player who clicks many abilities, since I can't click and steer at the same time.

However, if you choose this route, then all abilities that you depend upon in PvP, should be hotkeyed, in order to optimize the configuration.
    Keep in mind, it's a hefty amount of hotkeys to set up.

TL;DR: Use asdw and the mouse right-click-to-move option, to face your character, it's the best
    Last edited by frejborg; 2010-12-16 at 11:11 PM.

now, i understand that how i "keybind" is considered by most in WoW 'wrong,' but i nvr learned WASD and don't plan on it. so for a quick over view, i use my mouse for all movement...

Button one = select target/rotate camera {default}
    Button two = interect/startattack/"pivot" {default}
    Button one and two = forward {default}
    Button three(mouse wheel pressed in) = follow target player
    Button four = auto run
    Button five = backward
    Mouse wheel "tilt" left = strafe left
    Mouse wheel "tilt" right = strafe right
    Mouse wheel scroll up = camera zoom in
    Mouse wheel scroll down = camera zoom out

This open up my lef thand for 32 hot keys pinky finger on 'F' and index finger on 'J', using <alt> as a modifier. 'C' becomes target, 'J' is main spaming attack, 'D' is some kind of "kick", <alt> 'J' is some kinda defense CD, <alt> 'O' is mount, etc. i have no proplem in PvE or PvP anyway, no reason for negative feed back on my method, and if it helps anyone, feel free to use it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bufro View Post
    Mouse wheel "tilt" left = strafe left
    Mouse wheel "tilt" right = strafe right
    Think that's the first time I've ever heard of that combination. Interesting.

OP: as long as you don't use the turning keys for anything other than fun (in which case remove them from the extremely useful Q, E binds) AND have a way to turn using your mouse and strafe SIMULTANEOUSLY, you'll be fine.

Like, Treeston says, despite his strange QWERTZ German keyboard instead of QWERTY, "WASD" and "ESDF" are the most popular movement keybinds for pvpers, esport, fps gamers, long time gamers, etc. There is a good reason for that, as it seems you have just found out.

Personally, I prefer WASD because it means trivial access to a modifier key (normally Shift) which instantly opens up another page of keys, especially when combined with buttons on your mouse. If I had a Razer Naga mouse, I'd be giggling all the way to pvp heaven!

Also, while I obviously unbind the keyboard-turning extremely accessible Q,E keys for a lot more productive actions as well as the pointless (if not dangerous) X key for sitting and Z key for sheathing/unsheathing weapons, I do not do the same for the S key for moving backwards. This is because I'm a tank/healer. Sometimes it is very important to quickly reposition yourself as a tank without ever turning your back to a pack of mobs beating on your face (since you cannot dodge/parry/block from behind as a player).
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-02-09 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i made a post about nearly the same thing a couple weeks back, the help i got there was great.
    ive made some changes, and some headway in using keybinds. its now to the point that using my 'old' way of doing things with my elemental shaman feels really wierd and not quite right anymore.

but ive got a fairly wierd setup. i dont use wasd. i use E for forward, and D for backwards, the rest of the left side of the keyboard is keybinds and modifiers and i use the mouse exclusively to turn. i did have to keep some keys the same, re-keybinding the R button was just too much, it had to stay reply.

im still tweaking, and probably will be for some time. no matter what anyone says, its a slow process with a lot of mistakes and key mashing going on. for the first week or so, my left hand and wrist were really sore from the total change in game play, as wierd as that sounds.

i just wanted to say good luck, if i can make the change anyone can :P.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.